Parks and Recreation

Thursday 8:00 PM on NBC Premiered Apr 09, 2009 In Season

neomichel

Parks and Recreation Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

7.3
  • Parks and Recreation: Worst Thing You've Ever Seen or So Abysmal you Wanted to Rip your Eyes Out?

I can't decide. First, let's look at the pros, if there really are any in the first place. The boss guy with the mustache was, in my opinion, freaking hilarious! And in the end when he had that sod-off shot gun. Seriously died of laughter. So, he's good in my book. Aziz was also humorous, but I feel like they need to give him better lines or writing cause it seemed like they ignored his character's potential as being amazing. Like a Dwight. That's it. Cons: First, Amy Poehler. Don't get me wrong she was one of the funnier ones on SNL, but her character A.) Isn't funny. B.) Tries too hard to be funny. C.) Is like a woman version of Michael Scott, but not funny and D.) Just plain annoying! They need to change her character and soon and start coming up with a better way to make her humorous because its not working. Second, Rashida Jones. Can't stand her. Couldn't stand her on The Office. Can't stand here now. She's not that good of an actor. She isn't funny. She's kind of awkward. Plus, her being in the Office and now in this show doesn't help the viewer try to distinguish the two. Third, Carbon Copy of the Office. Now, this is kind of a given as its by the producer and writers of the Office and originally was going to be an Office spin off until they changed that idea. But, it's TOO much like The Office. But it also removes all the awesome things about why we like The Office. So it's kind of a crappy, half-hearted version of The Office. Fourth, mediocre writing. The comedy wasn't there. The story was boring. The premise is just lame. There is nothing making me want to keep watching. I have no connection to the characters. It feels like they just slapped a ton of garbage together and said "This should work". Did they even screen the show? Did they like seriously say those lines and think "that's funny"?

Synopsis:
    They best get their act together otherwise it'll get canceled after 5 episodes. Rating: D+
  • impressive, most impressive.

i watched every episode of this show in it's first season run and i thought it was just okay. mediocre at best, and after watching every episode of season two, i got to say that this show has improved allot! whatever they have been doing with it has really changed my feeling for this show and i actually look forward to watching it now. for me, the characters who were not all that enjoyable before, but passable, have become characters that you care about now. i love the NBC thursday prime-time line up this season! community is awesome, parks and recreation is good now & the office is brilliant like always. :D
  • Leslie Knope, Deputy Director of the Pawnee's Parks and Recreation Dept is determined to fill in the pit on Lot 48. With the help of Tom, Ron, April, Mark, Donna, Jerry and nurse Anne and Andy, Leslie encounters many hilarious events in the process.

This is possibly my new favorite show. This is by no means an Office knockoff, this is better in that the show's pace is quicker and the main topic is much more interesting. Each of the main characters quirks and eccentricity complement each other nicely and make each of them lovable in their own way. The jokes are quick witted and smart and delivered just perfectly. This is truly an ensemble cast. Although Amy Poehler's character is the main character (Leslie), all other characters get about the same amount of screen time. Each character is essential in the show's storyline and it's clear that the writers do this purposely to maximize the show's effectiveness

If you like the Office, as I once did, you'll like Parks & Rec. If you're a fan of Aziz Ansari, be prepared to laugh your butt off too. Parks & Rec is a fresh departure of the average NBC sitcom, and I hope the writers are able to continue writing quality episodes in the future.
  • Tongue-in-cheek humor at its best!

Watching Amy Poehler's character of Leslie Knope be this wellspring of enthusiasm despite the utter disregard of the people around her and the mundane nature of her job is fabulous. I can't see anyone else playing this role with any degree of believability other than Poehler. Add to that the forced smile that she practically freezes onto her face for the benefit of the documentary camera that's following her every move and the positive spin she tries to put on every gaff and foible makes this show a genuine joy to watch. Perhaps we are finally past the days when canned laughter has to be added to let people know when something funny happened. Shows like this assume the audience knows what is going on and doesn't need everything spoon-fed to them. Well done. Very well done. Keep up the good work!
  • Unoriginal

Where do I start... should I start with how the show in not original (carbon copy of The Office); or with how Amy Poehler is not funny; or that NBC is trying waaaay too hard to compete with the other networks. They cancel good shows like My Own Worst Enemy; keep horrible shows like the new Knight Rider, The Apprentice, Friday Night Lights, Kath & Kim, My Name is Earl, Howie Do It, 30 Rock; and then bring us unoriginal shows like Parks and Recreation.

As for Parks... watching it was almost painful. I watched the whole episode but almost turned it off twice. Amy is not funny... she is trying to be quirky and uncomfortable like Michael Scott from The Office. It's already been done, no need to do it again. As for Aziz Ansari (Tom in the show), he too was not funny, nor was he funny on Scrubs this year - maybe that's why he's not on the show anymore. And I did not care for Nick Offerman's character Ron. The show and it's so called comedy, felt very forced.

Stop TRYING to be funny, and just BE funny. But I don't think it's going to happen with this show.
  • Can someone explain why people do the things they do?

After watching the first two episodes of this show, I have been pleasantly surprised by this new series and I plan to give it a chance to develop and grow. Some of the other people who have written harsh reviews for this show, however, have not even tried to give the show a chance. Several users have even stated in their "review" that they haven't even seen the show once. Sound familiar, cactusjack39? Worst of all, they put ratings and reviews to episodes that HAVEN'T EVEN AIRED YET! It seems so silly and so pointless to rant all over a show for no reason than to annoy others. To then make your profile private is just plain cowardly and childish.

Let me remind everyone that these forums are to put forth genuine reviews and valid arguements as to why a show is worth watching or not. To simply say "It sucks" is little more than vandalism of the show guide. If you don't like the show or a particular episode, then explain why in an articulate and intelligent manner. Don't just scribble a few profanities and then run away.
  • the best show on thursday night that isn't the office

Season 1 of this show really sucked but season 2 has been pretty good thus far. Now this show is by no means any where near as good as the office but it is still a funny and enjoyable show. The characters are likable and funny. Tom is hilarious and so is leslie and that guy who is the boss or whatever is the funniest one. For thursday nights this season the office is top, this is second, 30 rock(REALLY overrated) is third, and community is last. I'm really excited to see how this show goes and i enjoy watching it whenever i have the time
  • I have never watched The Office so I really didn't get the comparisons to that show and why people called it a spin-off. I was really intrigued in the beginning because it was hilarious and the plot was very well thought out.

To be honest, I am not really a comedy show guy but I do watch them. This show made me laugh my ass off. I was so surprised to see how this show turned out to be. I thought it was going to be good, but not that good. I did know Amy Poehler before by Mean Girls, Baby Mamma, and I watched a little bit of Saturday Night Live so I was thrilled to see what she brought in her own show and it was something great. She is one of the main reasons why this show succeeded in the beginning and why it got renewed for the second season. I can't wait to see the storylines of season two, but I know they're going to be good.
  • A great follow-up.

As The Office is getting more and more annoying, Parks and Recreation fills that Thursday night mockumentary hole you love you much. The Office is currently in its 6th year, and barely manages to bring in some laughter to the table. If you find the character of Michael Scott annoying and immature, you might just fall in love with Leslie Knope, who is sort-of Scott's female version, but with much more charm and much less annoyance. Every episode is significantly more enjoyable than the previous one, and it's safe to say, it's quickly growing to be one of the television's premier shows.
  • If you like The Office, but sometimes find Michael painful to watch, then you will like Parks and Recreation.

The Office makes fun of the business world; Parks and Recreation does the same thing to the world of government bureaucracies. That was always a great concept, but it sometimes felt a little forced in season 1. In season 2, however, Parks and Rec has really found its zone, and it no longer feels like the show is just trying to be The Office, Part 2. The main difference is in the tone of the show. Whereas The Office always kept a bit of the bitter humor of its British predecessor, Parks and Recreation is a sweet show. All of the characters are basically good people who want to do the right thing. For example, unlike Michael in The Office, who is occasionally nice but mostly is a selfish jerk, Leslie Knope in Parks and Recreation is genuinely goodhearted. Even the bad guys of season 1 (Mark and Andy) had some redeeming qualities, and both have been reworked in season 2 to make them more sympathetic characters.

Overall, it's a refreshing and different take on the mockumentary. Without any major adversaries in the main cast (like Michael and Dwight in The Office), the comedy in Parks and Recreation comes from the situations the characters find themselves and the guest-stars who play one-time antagonists, such as the Venezuelan diplomats, or Ron's ex-wife. So far, this has worked well, since the acting is so good, but it does seem like Parks and Recreation will live or die by the quality of its guest stars.
  • Don't give up on Parks and Recreation: The Second Season is so much better.

The first season of "Parks and Recreation" was at times, mediocre, boring, and unfunny. It looked like a show that would tank the next season, creatively speaking. Thankfully, the great writers of "The Office" and this show pulled of a good premise and a great finale- superb, in fact. The second season started great, subtle and outlandish humor combined. "The Stakeout" and "The Practice Date" were perfect episodes, showing how this show, although a mockumentary is different from the office. At that time, Parks and Recreation was becoming a good show, more than making up for the truncated first season, both in episodes and the amount of comedy. Then, came other great episodes like "Ron and Tammy" and "The Camel." They had great plots, interesting stories, and most of all, hilarious lines, talking heads, ect. However, the ratings continue to go down. If the ratings do not go up, it may be cancelled. And this show is one of the best shows on television, maybe behind "The Office" and "30 Rock." But, with only a few episodes out as of now, I'm sure it will be as good, if not better than them. To sum up, watch this show. The first season, overall, yes, was simply, unfunny. But starting with the first season finale this show slowly but surely became a comedy that creatively was near perfect. But if the ratings keep going down, this amazing show may not get a third season. I almost gave up on this show early, but don't do it, it's as hilarious as the other great NBC Thurday shows.
  • SECOND SEASON IS WAAAAAAY BETTER!!!!!!

I am like most people who rated this show prior to the second season: I thought the show was awkward, boring, and really unfunny. Then, like magic, the second season changed the show practically overnight. Leslie became snappier and less of a punching bag, Ron became outright hilarious, and the interactions between the small cast are comedic GOLD. Many of the short lines are awesome. I am very glad I stuck around for the second season because now I look forward to it every Thursday - and it has yet to not leave me gasping for air because I am laughing so hard.
  • A show that yet to be appreciated for it's clever and outsanding quality and for it's pure "hilarious-ness"

"The show is so similar to The Office?... please! The season 1 of the show is "so-so" and yes the season 1 has that "the office" vibe. But the season 2 has this tremendous quality and creative comeback. Every episodes made me laugh, literally!

The characters are engaging and always "game" and on timing. My favorite character is of course Amy Poehler's character 'Leslie Knope'. She deserves to be recognized for her work here.... And yes this show deserve to be recognized!

Right now, this show is on the verge of getting cancelled. The bad rating and bad reviews here is ruining this so so great show. I dont understand why people hate this show. TV Critics love this show now! Why not the viewers? They would rather watch comedy show with laught track and low quality and don't deserve that viewers they get each week.

Bottom Line: The show is creative and really, i mean, really funny. If you dont think so, well you a bad taste in terms of finding which show is great which show is not!
  • I fell-en in love with this show after getting it for Christmas.

When i first got this show as a present i was a bit "m'eh" I only really knew Aziz Ansari from the cast, and the subject matter was not really of interest. But after about the third episode i just wanted to watch MORE! At first you just think the main character (Leslie Knope) is just an idiot, but there is something endearing about the character (brilliantly played by Amy Poehler) and her growing (if not unlikely) friendship with Ann (Rshida Jones) The Interplay between the characters is brilliant with some complex relationships and two camera filming adds depth to story and scenes.

Also the silent comedy with the subtle looks of disdain (aimed at the Brilliant Knope) from Tom Haverford, Rashida Jones and Aubrey Plaza. love Aziz Ansari's Improvised tangents & am glad to see that Aubrey Plaza's character is getting more of a role this season and am interested to see how things between April and Andy progress.

As for comparisons between this and The Office; it's a mockumentary set (occasionally) in an office, here is where the comparison ends.
  • Parks and Recreation is being compared to The Office and is said that it does not meet The Office criteria and/or this show is a wannabe The Office. These comments are more hilarious than the show itself!

"Parks and Recreation" is being compared to "The Office" and is said that it does not meet "The Office" criteria and/or this show is a wannabe "The Office". These comments are more hilarious than the show itself! How can this show be a wannabe when it comes from the same producers of "The Office". Anyways, seeing the Pilot of "Parks and Recreation" and continuous episodes, I think they couldn't have cast a better group of characters. The characters put so much life into the show. You have one character who makes you chuckle, and another who simultaneously backs the chuckle up with a hysterical laugh.
    I also enjoy the theme of the show and how the Parks Department of the show helps to make the city of Pawnee a better place for everyone, environmentally speaking.
    Amy Poehler does an amazing job performing her character as Leslie Knope. Her comedic intellect in the show just makes you want to laugh. She performs actions of her character that the character herself doesn't find funny, but the viewers do!
    I also think the other characters of this show really are the gravy and corn to the Turkey. Nick Offerman does great portraying his character of seriousness and boss-like business. Aziz Ansari is also another hilarious character who, if this show didn't have, it wouldn't be as comedic. Aubrey Plaza, who portrays April, is quite amusing also. Her speechless facial expressions, show off the other characters stupidity.
    This show is nothing compared to anything else on television. The Parks department of this show is superb and no other characters of any other show can compare to this show's optimistic and comedic cast.
  • Dont get me wrong, i really like this show and i do complain about too similar to The Office, but its great fun to watch it and you should just forget about is just enjoy it.

Im one of those people o got bafled by the similarities with the The Office, but thats it, after a few minutes we just forget about it and we do start to have a great time and with some akward situations, nerve racking sometimes, that do caracterize this kind of mockumentary. And the actors do really pull it off, althou this would be a better show if the actors were not so known to teh public. I think its going to need some time untill i have a truthfully opinion about this and any shows that started their first seasons now.
    In conclusion, forget about the office and see this as another mockumentary that talks about another reall life crisis: those green places we find on our citys and the busy world of minicipality affairs :D
  • A pleasant suprise

Parks and recreation Is a blatant rip off of the office and I still like it. the main reason why I decided to watch the show was Rashida Jones but I was quickly drawn in by Leslie knope (Amy poehler) A nutter with a heart the female Michael Scott as the character will forever be known and rightly so there is room for them both on TV. Hopefully as the show develops the supporting cast will fill out there rolls a lot more and we move the focus off Amy I hope they avoid the will they wont they situation like they had in the office as so many shows use this formula but that's what seems to draw people in there's a lot of work to do and the show has an uphill struggle being viewed as an office copycat might count against it when people hear about this show but my advice is try it out first and form your own opinion
  • I still see this show as a spin-off of The Office. The always present but never seen or heard documentary film camera is for all practicable purposes a character and an obvious link between the two shows.

Never Judge a Show by its Pilot: Parks and Recreation WARNING: This article could make a good drinking game if you take a shot every time you read The Office. Please read responsibly.
    First impressions:
    NBC is setting the bar very high as they promote their new sitcom Parks and Recreation by saying, "From Emmy Award-winning executive producers Greg Daniels (NBC's "The Office," "King of the Hill") and Michael Schur (NBC's "The Office," "Saturday Night Live") comes a new mockumentary that looks at the exciting world of local government." In the past when I have seen creative people try to do something new or different and the network's selling point of the creative people's new show is those creative people's past successes it did not always do the new show any favors by setting false expectations (Never Judge a Show by its Pilot: THE CLASS). Resume style promotion only impresses Hollywood insiders. Fortunately, the Sneak Previews give me the impression that this new show will do for local government what The Office did for Middle Management/Corporate America. Why can't they just say that? Now more than ever there are many institutions that deserve to be mocked.

FYI: A religious or financial institution would fit nicely in this mockumentary format. Call me...

Unfortunately, after hearing about this show for the last several months (It was originally described as an untitled spin-off of The Office starring Amy Poehler. Then it was not a spin-off of The Office), one has to question if this show is ready for prime time or only half-baked. In fairness to all parties concerned, Amy Poehler's pregnancy did delay the show's production by a few months.

Expectations:
    Amy Poehler is funny and has a proven track record on Saturday Night Live, Upright Citizens Brigade, and her movie Baby Mama. She will deliver the laughs no matter what project is thrown her way. I have every confidence that she can carry a show it just has to be the right show. This now begs the question, will people want to watch an Amy Poehler weekly TV show where she only plays one character?

I watched the pilot:
    Amy Poehler plays Leslie Knope a mid-level bureaucrat in the Parks and Recreation Department of Pawnee, Indiana who aspires to be high-level bureaucrat. Like on The Office, the familiar documentary cameras follow Leslie throughout her workday. Leslie and the other characters also speak directly to the camera. Leslie is assisted by her colleague, Tom Haverford played by Aziz Ansari. I thought the Leslie-Tom dynamic is similar to that of Michael & Jim on The Office only Tom has a lower moral threshold and uses his government job for personal gain. Where Leslie aspires to be the the first woman president, Tom aspieres to be another Governor Blagojevich.

The episode opens with Leslie holding a town hall meeting, where she meets a local nurse Ann Perkins (Rashida Jones) whose boyfriend (Chris Pratt) fell into a pit on an abandoned construction site and broke his legs. Leslie is inspired to turn the site into a community park. Leslie's boss, Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman), is anti-government and would rather see the parks department run by a corporation like Chuck E. Cheese. Leslie's savior is city planner Mark Brendanawicz (Paul Schneider) who has been in public service for fifteen years and was burned out after his first two months on the job. Leslie has a special place in Mark's heart because Mark sees that Leslie really believes in the cause where everybody else is either burned out or cynical... They also slept together. Mark calls in a favor from Ron to let Leslie have her park project. Rounding out the cast is Aubrey Plaza who plays the apathetic college intern April Ludgate.

Now we met the characters and we know their agendas. I can see the "Building a Park" story-line carrying the show from now to the fall season and possibly beyond. When you add how people feel about civil service workers, this show might take off.

I still see this show as a spin-off of The Office. Even though we do not see any of Dunder Mifflin employees, the always present but never seen or heard documentary film camera is for all practicable purposes a character and an obvious link between the two shows. Things look optimistic for this new show but as you know, I never judge a show by its pilot.

I saw the following episode: We meet Leslie's unsupportive mother (Played by Pamela Reed) who is high up in the school board. Leslie and her team canvas the neighborhood to get support on the park project. The city manager has federal funding, wants to fast track Leslie's project, and attends the next night's town hall meeting that turns out to be a disaster. I had a few laughs through out the episode (Especially the Easter egg hunt where Tom forgot to hide the eggs). The funniest part is the sense that the show is more plugged into our own political reality more than anybody wants to admit. I can see people watch the show and ask, "What real event inspired this episode?" I do not see a public servant in the future approach Amy Poehler and saying, "I became a bureaucrat because of you." Then again...

To quote Leslie Knope, "This is where the rubber of government meets the road of actual human beings."

Stay Tuned

Tony Figueroa
  • Leslie Knope is trying to turn a pit into a park, while working for the mid-level government. She takes her job very serious and creates a comity, including Ann Perkins whose boyfriend fell in the pit, and some of Leslie's co-workers.

'Parks & Recreation' is possibly one of the funniest shows I've seen in years. Dry, retarded humor with comical situations, P&R has a wonderful talented cast lead by Amy Poehler who was barely funny in 'Baby Mama' but hits every joke as an obsessed and kind of sad government person who does whatever to make herself believe she's important. Also the relations between the characters, and the charactes themselves are very interesting and you are immediately invested in them. The show is very, very funny and has great episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this in the future because this just might be a new weekly half hour of good laughs.
  • The Office but for the outdoors.

PARKS AND RECREATION,
    - From the writers and creators of the Office comes the new blend of what life is like in the low form. As people from the offices of parks and recreation get there due. Amy Poehler is the head characters in this show. Usually i dont like Amy, mostly from her SNL days. But now that she isnt playing every character i tolerate her. With the supporting cast playing around Amy's weird and out of her mind character. It's nice and different type of comedy that is way better than that Kath and Kim thing, show. Overall, NBC, u got a good one in her hands dont let this go. Let it grow like 30 Rock and u'll have a hit on ur hands.
1 2 >