Parks and Recreation

Thursday 8:00 PM on NBC Premiered Apr 09, 2009 In Season

neomichel

Parks and Recreation Fan Reviews (51)

7.4
  • Parks & Recreation: A Show to Grow On

Having watched every episode of every season so far, I have to say that the show has had its ups and downs, mostly ups though. When I first sat down to watch it, I wasn't too impressed. Completely bored in fact with the utter lack of humor in the show. I was wondering how the show got the Golden Globe nominations it did. The acting and character development were abysmal. I was on my way to just quitting watching the show, but finding nothing else to do I piled on. The first season passed with barely a mark being made in my head.

The second season was a vast improvement to the first. The laughs were far more frequent and Poehler really began to shine. To be honest, the only thing that kept me going till that point was Nick Offerman's character. But then, I had a whole bunch of reasons to keep watching. One of the best things that happened to the show was getting rid of Paul Schneider. His acting was - in a nutshell - weak. He was the thing holding the show down. It's no wonder that ever since his exit from the show the laughs have been getting better and the show just manages to hold your attention.

Season three was the season Parks and Rec hit gold. Making Rob Lowe and Adam Scott part of the main cast was genius. This is around the time when I began to fall in love with the show. Everything about it just became infinitely more interesting.

The remaining two seasons continued the high brought on by the change in cast. Everyone else just seemed to get better as well. Ansari became funnier, Offerman more bad-ass, Plaza more quirky, Pratt more silly, Jones more expressive and Poehler more effervescent.

I was about to give up on the show, but I'm glad I plowed through the first season. If you got frustrated early on and decided to never watch the show again, I IMPLORE you to give it another go. Everything wrong with the show became everything right with it. Parks and Recreation - an incredible comedy to grow on.
  • Something for (almost) everyone

It's just lovable. And funny and awesome and I'm very happy that shows like this exist.
  • THIS SHOW IS AMAZING!!!!

This is seriously my favorite show of all time. It has funny, original ideas and the characters all have a funny story line and character, and it's just hilarious. Like, how did Jerry get such a hot wife or how is Leslie not the President? It's just hilarious, don't know why this show is getting a 7.3.
  • The Best Show on TV

It's not an Office clone. Get past the first season and you'll be hooked as it gets substantially better.
  • If you didn't like it, then go live in Eagleton

This is one of the smartest and most addictive show on TV today.
  • Amazing Show!

I was a little worried when I heard that the creators of the show had been the creators of The Office, because, let's face it, The Office sucks. I realized rather quickly, however, that Parks and Recreation far surpasses The Office. I hate to make the comparison between the two shows, but seeing as how they are both "mocumentaries" of sorts, it's difficult not to. I should explain myself and say that the faux documentary aspect is annoying in The Office, and it tends to bore me, which is one of the reasons for my concern that it would be another Office. I gave Parks and Recreation a chance because a friend with a markedly reliable taste in comedy recommended it to me. Boy, was I glad I took his recommendation seriously, Parks and Recreation is an incredibly funny show, and the mocumentary aspect serves as an enhancement, not a detriment, especially because the documentary-esque clips/interviews are not so predictable, like they tend to be in some shows, and they're typically funny and charming. The opening scene of the pilot had me believing the show was another Office. Amy Poeler interviews a child in a park about the amount of fun she's having. I figured it would be old people humor, which is what I consider The Office to be. However, I watched all of season 1 and some of season 2 in one shot and discovered that the characters develop well, are charming, and are deserving of episodes that center around them, as opposed to every episode being "Leslie-centric". These episodes centered around characters surface well into season 2, but they really assist the viewer in falling in love with the cast. Aziz Ansari can't miss, so I knew he would be funny, Amy Poeler's incredibly funny, and I'm becoming more and more of a fan of hers, Nick Offerman's Ron Swanson character is potentially the funniest sitcom character of all time (actually, I heard somewhere he was voted "funniest sitcom actor since Michael Richards as Kramer, which I agree with), Chris Pratt is awesome and classic as Andy, Aubrey Plaza is a great yin to the yang of the overly energetic Leslie, and is always funny, Rashida Jones is a cool "best friend" character, Adam Scott is cool, and a great match for Leslie, Rob Lowe is funny (and too much of him would be bad, so they do a fantastic job of using him with a proper amount of restraint), Retta's one-liners are funny (and, again, the small doses of her character are perfect), and in the true spirit of the show, I saved Jerry for last - awesome fall guy, and a good sport. My only complaint in terms of cast was Mark Brandanewicz, but he's gone anyway, so what's the difference? I highly recommend this show!
  • My new favorite show

I never watched the show, but was always interested in it. So i bought season 2 on itunes, and fell in love with the show. I bought seasons 3 and 4 so im all caught up now and i must say its much better then most of the comedys on tv right now. Recommend it to anyone!
  • One of the best show's on TV

I may have started watching the show mid-second season but since then I have watched every episode and what I can tell you is one of the best show's on TV. Seriously don't know why people have such a hard time liking it. I watched the first season. loved it. 2nd 3rd 4th they have all made me laugh so much. As far as people comparing this show to the office. I know they are similar but they are still seperate shows. Try watching the show with a more open mind you'll like it :)
  • what the office was trying to do but better!

ppl who dont like this either dont get it or hav'nt watched it and are jumping on a bandwagon, seriously one of the funniest things on t.v watch it!!!
  • Leslie Knope, Deputy Director of the Pawnee's Parks and Recreation Dept is determined to fill in the pit on Lot 48. With the help of Tom, Ron, April, Mark, Donna, Jerry and nurse Anne and Andy, Leslie encounters many hilarious events in the process.

This is possibly my new favorite show. This is by no means an Office knockoff, this is better in that the show's pace is quicker and the main topic is much more interesting. Each of the main characters quirks and eccentricity complement each other nicely and make each of them lovable in their own way. The jokes are quick witted and smart and delivered just perfectly. This is truly an ensemble cast. Although Amy Poehler's character is the main character (Leslie), all other characters get about the same amount of screen time. Each character is essential in the show's storyline and it's clear that the writers do this purposely to maximize the show's effectiveness

If you like the Office, as I once did, you'll like Parks & Rec. If you're a fan of Aziz Ansari, be prepared to laugh your butt off too. Parks & Rec is a fresh departure of the average NBC sitcom, and I hope the writers are able to continue writing quality episodes in the future.
  • A great follow-up.

As The Office is getting more and more annoying, Parks and Recreation fills that Thursday night mockumentary hole you love you much. The Office is currently in its 6th year, and barely manages to bring in some laughter to the table. If you find the character of Michael Scott annoying and immature, you might just fall in love with Leslie Knope, who is sort-of Scott's female version, but with much more charm and much less annoyance. Every episode is significantly more enjoyable than the previous one, and it's safe to say, it's quickly growing to be one of the television's premier shows.
  • SECOND SEASON IS WAAAAAAY BETTER!!!!!!

I am like most people who rated this show prior to the second season: I thought the show was awkward, boring, and really unfunny. Then, like magic, the second season changed the show practically overnight. Leslie became snappier and less of a punching bag, Ron became outright hilarious, and the interactions between the small cast are comedic GOLD. Many of the short lines are awesome. I am very glad I stuck around for the second season because now I look forward to it every Thursday - and it has yet to not leave me gasping for air because I am laughing so hard.
  • A show that yet to be appreciated for it's clever and outsanding quality and for it's pure "hilarious-ness"

"The show is so similar to The Office?... please! The season 1 of the show is "so-so" and yes the season 1 has that "the office" vibe. But the season 2 has this tremendous quality and creative comeback. Every episodes made me laugh, literally!

The characters are engaging and always "game" and on timing. My favorite character is of course Amy Poehler's character 'Leslie Knope'. She deserves to be recognized for her work here.... And yes this show deserve to be recognized!

Right now, this show is on the verge of getting cancelled. The bad rating and bad reviews here is ruining this so so great show. I dont understand why people hate this show. TV Critics love this show now! Why not the viewers? They would rather watch comedy show with laught track and low quality and don't deserve that viewers they get each week.

Bottom Line: The show is creative and really, i mean, really funny. If you dont think so, well you a bad taste in terms of finding which show is great which show is not!
  • How This Show Is Different From The Office

Season 1, this WAS an Office copycat. Leslie Knope was an inept bumbler who took her job so seriously that no one took her seriously. Her employees, especially the guys, were straight men. But the show changed in its second season, starting with Leslie Knope.

Unlike Michael Scott, Leslie charms her employees into loving their job as much as she. She's highly capable and enthusiastic. She's cute as hell. Unlike Michael's employees, each of Leslie's is uniquely developed, hilarious, and--key word--lovable, strong enough to carry an episode on their own. Most shows are lucky to have one Great character who sticks with you: Gustavo Fring from Breaking Bad, Coach McGuirk from Home Movies... IMO, Parks and Rec has at least three: Leslie, Ron, and Jenn Barkley.

I stuck through Season 1 on Netflix because I had nothing else to do. It wasn't until "Hunting Trip," in Season 2, that I felt the show take a turn for the better. If you're a newbie, that's where I recommend you start. By the Season 2 finale, I felt so lucky to have stuck it out. Every episode from there to the end of Season 4 is hilarious. And I mean it. I love this show.
  • Pawnee 1st in friendship 4th in obesity

I love this show it is one of my all time favorite comedies, i love the cast and just everything about it
  • kid yo

Can I be april's dead pan kid? Please, or not I don't care.
  • One of the few shows that make me laugh...

The fact that ratings for this show exist with a score lower than 9 is surprising as this show naturally encourages me to laugh, a rare experience to be sure. I'm the kind of person that enjoys the comedies of Archer, the Office, Family Guy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Curb Your Enthusiasm, I'm all over the map... and this show appeals to my zany side, my clever side and the side of me that enjoys watching character development.

I'd rate this show a 10/10 but there's the possibility a show could one day appear that will make me laugh harder.
  • I love it!!

I love this show even more now that 30 Rock has died. It's great to sit back and just be entertained. Cheers.
  • Ron Swanson Rules!

Extremely hilarious, one of my favorite comedys, with a fantastic cast. character are likable and funny in a different ways. even the Jerry joke never gets old. highly recommend it!
  • This show is so under rated, I almost don't have hope in humanity anymore. People need to recognize how amazing this show is.

Im not gonna lie, the first season of Parks and Rec was slow to me and almost turned me away. But I'm so glad I did not stop watching this show. My friend convinced me to just stick with it and promised it would get better and wow, this show blows my mind. Best cast ever. This show is cute, FUCKING HILARIOUS, and there's a character for every type of viewer and they make it all work so well. If you like the Office, then you're gonna like this. This show needs a hire rating than 7.

I also believe the world would be such a better place if every girl looked up to Leslie Knope and aspire to be just as Involved, committed, and caring. She's an example every person should follow actually.

• Similar humor to the office but with a refreshing setting and scenario. I love this show!! It's light hearted and funny-perfect for unwinding after work and hanging out on the weekends!I highly suggest giving it a shot!!

Similar humor to the office but with a refreshing setting and scenario. I love this show!! It's light hearted and funny-perfect for unwinding after work and hanging out on the weekends! Gives you insight to "government work." I highly suggest giving it a shot!!
    The first episode of season one may not call to your heart as much as the later episodes-the first time I saw Parks and Rec I saw an episode from season 3 and got instantly interested. My boyfriend and I began at episode 1, season 1 only a few weeks ago and we JUST finished season 2 last night! I love how realistic some of the scenarios are-financial crisis + TONS of lazy employees + one woman, Leslie, who is ready to conquer everything and become president! I love Leslie's sense of responsibility and moral responsibility-and that the show plays with her extremes in different situations (both good and bad). I also really respect the relationship that has developed between Leslie and her best friend, Anne (even if they do have some issues).
  • It doesn't make any sense how...

It doesn't make any sense this show can be still so poorly rated? It's like reviewers came once to this page and rated the show during its first season, and then when the show got better and became the comedy gold that it is now...people just forgot to update their rating to a more appropriately higher score.

Comedies work best when the ensemble work, and Parks and Rec is a show that has used this to their advantage. How unbelievably sweet is Andy and April making the cover of the Parks magazine? One of the best revelations on TV last year!
  • Can someone explain why people do the things they do?

After watching the first two episodes of this show, I have been pleasantly surprised by this new series and I plan to give it a chance to develop and grow. Some of the other people who have written harsh reviews for this show, however, have not even tried to give the show a chance. Several users have even stated in their "review" that they haven't even seen the show once. Sound familiar, cactusjack39? Worst of all, they put ratings and reviews to episodes that HAVEN'T EVEN AIRED YET! It seems so silly and so pointless to rant all over a show for no reason than to annoy others. To then make your profile private is just plain cowardly and childish.

Let me remind everyone that these forums are to put forth genuine reviews and valid arguements as to why a show is worth watching or not. To simply say "It sucks" is little more than vandalism of the show guide. If you don't like the show or a particular episode, then explain why in an articulate and intelligent manner. Don't just scribble a few profanities and then run away.
  • If you like The Office, but sometimes find Michael painful to watch, then you will like Parks and Recreation.

The Office makes fun of the business world; Parks and Recreation does the same thing to the world of government bureaucracies. That was always a great concept, but it sometimes felt a little forced in season 1. In season 2, however, Parks and Rec has really found its zone, and it no longer feels like the show is just trying to be The Office, Part 2. The main difference is in the tone of the show. Whereas The Office always kept a bit of the bitter humor of its British predecessor, Parks and Recreation is a sweet show. All of the characters are basically good people who want to do the right thing. For example, unlike Michael in The Office, who is occasionally nice but mostly is a selfish jerk, Leslie Knope in Parks and Recreation is genuinely goodhearted. Even the bad guys of season 1 (Mark and Andy) had some redeeming qualities, and both have been reworked in season 2 to make them more sympathetic characters.

Overall, it's a refreshing and different take on the mockumentary. Without any major adversaries in the main cast (like Michael and Dwight in The Office), the comedy in Parks and Recreation comes from the situations the characters find themselves and the guest-stars who play one-time antagonists, such as the Venezuelan diplomats, or Ron's ex-wife. So far, this has worked well, since the acting is so good, but it does seem like Parks and Recreation will live or die by the quality of its guest stars.
  • Don't give up on Parks and Recreation: The Second Season is so much better.

The first season of "Parks and Recreation" was at times, mediocre, boring, and unfunny. It looked like a show that would tank the next season, creatively speaking. Thankfully, the great writers of "The Office" and this show pulled of a good premise and a great finale- superb, in fact. The second season started great, subtle and outlandish humor combined. "The Stakeout" and "The Practice Date" were perfect episodes, showing how this show, although a mockumentary is different from the office. At that time, Parks and Recreation was becoming a good show, more than making up for the truncated first season, both in episodes and the amount of comedy. Then, came other great episodes like "Ron and Tammy" and "The Camel." They had great plots, interesting stories, and most of all, hilarious lines, talking heads, ect. However, the ratings continue to go down. If the ratings do not go up, it may be cancelled. And this show is one of the best shows on television, maybe behind "The Office" and "30 Rock." But, with only a few episodes out as of now, I'm sure it will be as good, if not better than them. To sum up, watch this show. The first season, overall, yes, was simply, unfunny. But starting with the first season finale this show slowly but surely became a comedy that creatively was near perfect. But if the ratings keep going down, this amazing show may not get a third season. I almost gave up on this show early, but don't do it, it's as hilarious as the other great NBC Thurday shows.
  • Parks and Recreation Series Review

Parks and Recreation is an NBC sitcom somewhat similar in premise to The Office, but with the focus being on government politics rather than business politics. It's from the same people who do SNL and The Office so go figure.

First off, the first few episodes are bad, but once you get through the first 4-6 episodes the show is nearly as good as The Office, and starts to come into its own. The series suffers in the beginning because it was trying way too hard to be the second coming of The Office. The show is shot documentary style, like The Office, with characters giving side interviews. Amy Poehler from Saturday Night Live plays Leslie Knope, the leader of the Parks Department. Amy's problem in the first few episodes is that she came off less like a sitcom character and more like an SNL Skit character by overacting too much. Will Sasso from Mad TV has the same problem. Anyway, the Leslie character starts off as basically a female version of Michael Scott before hitting her own stride later on.

Rashida Jones (Karen Filipelli from The Office) plays Ann Perkins, but early on you can't really tell the difference between her Ann Perkins character and the character that she played on The Office (Karen Filipelli). As the show wears on though, she starts to distinguish Ann Perkins from Karen Filipelli.

Another thing that plagued Parks and Recreation early on was miscasting. Paul Schneider played Mark Brendanawicz, who was given the back story of a bad boy/playboy but it wasn't believable because Mark's character had absolutely no personality and came off more like a poor man's Jim Halpert. He was supposed to be this handsome playboy, but he just came off like a geek with no personality.

April Ludgate is basically the ANTI-Kelly Kapoor. She's the exact opposite. While Kelly had the personality of a mindless, shopaholic, shallow tween... April is a sarcastic, quiet, emo kid who doesn't care about anything.

Ron Swanson is like a more manly Dwight Schrute. He's not quite as over-the-top, but he fills the same sort of anti-government survivalist role and he's hilarious.

Jerry Gergich is basically the punching bag of the group. Everyone picks on him similarly to Phyllis on The Office.

Tom Haverford is another comedic character who hits it well. He's sort of like a younger more immature Indian version of Barney Stinson.

Andy Dwyer is the resident moron that every sitcom has who seems to get dumber as the show wears on.

Donna Meagle sort of fills comedic voids. She's alright too.

Once the second season starts, the show gets really good. I urge EVERYONE who likes The Office to just hold on through the first season (Luckily, season one is only 6 episodes). The show takes about 6-8 episodes to really start to get into it. The series gets even better once Rob Lowe and Adam Scott join the cast as the "good cop/bad cop" supervisors who come in to fix the department. PLEASE give this show a chance. It's awesome once you get out of the first season.

• This show has turned into the best show on the Thursday night line-up. Really, two words sum it up perefectly...Ron Swanson.

This show has turned into the best show on the Thursday night line-up. I just love it! he first season didn't start off the best, but you could sense that it was going somewhere great...and it did! They have developed the characters so well, without tiring them out. A wonderful show that just keeps getting better. Really two words sum it up perefectly...Ron Swanson. BTW-Whitney sucks.

• Tongue-in-cheek humor at its best!

Watching Amy Poehler's character of Leslie Knope be this wellspring of enthusiasm despite the utter disregard of the people around her and the mundane nature of her job is fabulous. I can't see anyone else playing this role with any degree of believability other than Poehler. Add to that the forced smile that she practically freezes onto her face for the benefit of the documentary camera that's following her every move and the positive spin she tries to put on every gaff and foible makes this show a genuine joy to watch. Perhaps we are finally past the days when canned laughter has to be added to let people know when something funny happened. Shows like this assume the audience knows what is going on and doesn't need everything spoon-fed to them. Well done. Very well done. Keep up the good work!
  • I have never watched The Office so I really didn't get the comparisons to that show and why people called it a spin-off. I was really intrigued in the beginning because it was hilarious and the plot was very well thought out.

To be honest, I am not really a comedy show guy but I do watch them. This show made me laugh my ass off. I was so surprised to see how this show turned out to be. I thought it was going to be good, but not that good. I did know Amy Poehler before by Mean Girls, Baby Mamma, and I watched a little bit of Saturday Night Live so I was thrilled to see what she brought in her own show and it was something great. She is one of the main reasons why this show succeeded in the beginning and why it got renewed for the second season. I can't wait to see the storylines of season two, but I know they're going to be good.
  • I fell-en in love with this show after getting it for Christmas.

When i first got this show as a present i was a bit "m'eh" I only really knew Aziz Ansari from the cast, and the subject matter was not really of interest. But after about the third episode i just wanted to watch MORE! At first you just think the main character (Leslie Knope) is just an idiot, but there is something endearing about the character (brilliantly played by Amy Poehler) and her growing (if not unlikely) friendship with Ann (Rshida Jones) The Interplay between the characters is brilliant with some complex relationships and two camera filming adds depth to story and scenes.

Also the silent comedy with the subtle looks of disdain (aimed at the Brilliant Knope) from Tom Haverford, Rashida Jones and Aubrey Plaza. love Aziz Ansari's Improvised tangents & am glad to see that Aubrey Plaza's character is getting more of a role this season and am interested to see how things between April and Andy progress.

As for comparisons between this and The Office; it's a mockumentary set (occasionally) in an office, here is where the comparison ends.
< 1 2