Parks and Recreation

Thursday 8:00 PM on NBC Premiered Apr 09, 2009 In Season

neomichel

Parks and Recreation Fan Reviews (51)

7.3
  • Don't care for show

0.5
    I truly don't care for the show.
  • Wow, unbeleivable how they ruined this show.

I have never seen anything like what the writers have done with this show. It went from suck, to good, to really good, to so so, to sucks butt.

Leslie's political views and general life dogma couldn't possibly be any more ridiculous at this point. If in the next episode she was somehow lost at sea, the show would actually improve probably.
  • I can't stand this show.

This is the worst show I've seen since Always Sunny. All the actors except the shoe polisher guy are terrible. The young girl just has no emotion whatsoever and it's extremely annoying to listen to her. The blond bitch is annoying with her exagerated enthousiasm. And the Indian guy is just pure annoying. He's stupid as hell. I've only had like one chuckle ever with this show. If somebody likes this show, the only thing that comes to my mind is that you have a terrible sense of humor. Comedy Central is ruining my vacation by putting this show so many times a day. Every time i see this show is on i feel like hitting my head against the wall. Conclusion: this show is made by the devil to annoy smart people.
  • You must be joking...

As pathetic, moronic and stupid as "The Office". Hard to believe this is still running, I was never able to endure a whole single episode, Poehlers permanent stupid expression and clueless jokes are worse than a root canal.
  • Another show that was good briefly

Parks and Rec was a so-so show to start with but by the end of the first season and the start of the second the character development was making the show worth watching. Leslie's misguided over enthusiasm was easy to over look due to her rigorous work ethic and competency, leaving me with the feeling that I could put up with the stupidity of government if there were people with dedication like that. Ron Swanson of course was brilliant and easily provided the funniest moments in the show. But as the season has drudged on the insertion of the producers and actors obvious love affair with the democrat party and Leslie's gushing over Joe Biden, inserting partisan politics into the show has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. At the same time they have subtly changed Ron's character into a charactiture of what it was, he is now portrayed as an obstinate, sometimes ignorant, reckless, foolish and misguided representative of some type of obstructionist party who needs to be dragged into understanding the "right" position on issues.

By episode 10 of season 5 they had beaten any desire out of me to follow the show, and I sit here having just watched episode 22 of the last season of the office (not great either, just the sap in me finishing up the story lines), looking for something to entertain me and I still can't bring myself to click play on s5 episode 11.
  • Parks and Recreation: Worst Thing You've Ever Seen or So Abysmal you Wanted to Rip your Eyes Out?

I can't decide. First, let's look at the pros, if there really are any in the first place. The boss guy with the mustache was, in my opinion, freaking hilarious! And in the end when he had that sod-off shot gun. Seriously died of laughter. So, he's good in my book. Aziz was also humorous, but I feel like they need to give him better lines or writing cause it seemed like they ignored his character's potential as being amazing. Like a Dwight. That's it. Cons: First, Amy Poehler. Don't get me wrong she was one of the funnier ones on SNL, but her character A.) Isn't funny. B.) Tries too hard to be funny. C.) Is like a woman version of Michael Scott, but not funny and D.) Just plain annoying! They need to change her character and soon and start coming up with a better way to make her humorous because its not working. Second, Rashida Jones. Can't stand her. Couldn't stand her on The Office. Can't stand here now. She's not that good of an actor. She isn't funny. She's kind of awkward. Plus, her being in the Office and now in this show doesn't help the viewer try to distinguish the two. Third, Carbon Copy of the Office. Now, this is kind of a given as its by the producer and writers of the Office and originally was going to be an Office spin off until they changed that idea. But, it's TOO much like The Office. But it also removes all the awesome things about why we like The Office. So it's kind of a crappy, half-hearted version of The Office. Fourth, mediocre writing. The comedy wasn't there. The story was boring. The premise is just lame. There is nothing making me want to keep watching. I have no connection to the characters. It feels like they just slapped a ton of garbage together and said "This should work". Did they even screen the show? Did they like seriously say those lines and think "that's funny"?

Synopsis:
    They best get their act together otherwise it'll get canceled after 5 episodes. Rating: D+
  • Unoriginal

Where do I start... should I start with how the show in not original (carbon copy of The Office); or with how Amy Poehler is not funny; or that NBC is trying waaaay too hard to compete with the other networks. They cancel good shows like My Own Worst Enemy; keep horrible shows like the new Knight Rider, The Apprentice, Friday Night Lights, Kath & Kim, My Name is Earl, Howie Do It, 30 Rock; and then bring us unoriginal shows like Parks and Recreation.

As for Parks... watching it was almost painful. I watched the whole episode but almost turned it off twice. Amy is not funny... she is trying to be quirky and uncomfortable like Michael Scott from The Office. It's already been done, no need to do it again. As for Aziz Ansari (Tom in the show), he too was not funny, nor was he funny on Scrubs this year - maybe that's why he's not on the show anymore. And I did not care for Nick Offerman's character Ron. The show and it's so called comedy, felt very forced.

Stop TRYING to be funny, and just BE funny. But I don't think it's going to happen with this show.
  • Used to like

Most of season 1 (09)
  • Deedle Dee productions playing on the formula that made The Office a hit...but not as well.

Well, Deedle Dee productions figured what worked once will work again...hence, Parks and Recreation. But it just doesn't work as well this time around. Parks and Recreation seems to me to be a testimony to the television industry's fear of creativity and originality and the stick to the old formula mentality at any cost. The Office, based on a hit British series worked quite well...I liked it a lot for my own reasons (see my review for The Office) but I found Parks and Recreation a little difficult to sit through. None of the characters managed to strike a nerve with me one way or the other. I'm surprised this one's been around for three seasons.
  • What one might expect.

At least it's generally what I expected. It's an okay show, but inconsistent in my opinion. Some episodes are hilarious and others, just corny and dull. Despite all that, parks and rec is still a fun show to wind down with at the end of the night, assuming you catch a good episode. You should more often than
  • In all 23 minutes of the pilot, I kinda laughed one time.

I just watched the pilot in light of Chuck ending and being caught up on everything else. I made it to about minute 21 and just shut it off. I was only ever able to muster up one little chuckle during the entire pilot and it was a weak one anyway.

The star (can't remember her name) is a little irritating. I liked Rashida Jones a lot in the Office and she seems to have a good role going for her on this show, but the premise of the show is kinda strange and the characters aren't as funny as they are advertised in my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can find the beauty in this show but I am not one of them.

In all fairness, I still think it's better than, say, Friends or Big Bang Theory for example. But then again, those shows are beyond awful. My rating is entirely objective, I have no real biases here. If someone can convince me that the show gets funnier after the pilot then I will think about giving it another shot later on.

Oh and by the way, the Indian guy seemed like he'd get funnier as the show goes on. I recognize him but I can't recall from where. The show gets a 6.5 instead of a 6 for that.
  • Dont get me wrong, i really like this show and i do complain about too similar to The Office, but its great fun to watch it and you should just forget about is just enjoy it.

Im one of those people o got bafled by the similarities with the The Office, but thats it, after a few minutes we just forget about it and we do start to have a great time and with some akward situations, nerve racking sometimes, that do caracterize this kind of mockumentary. And the actors do really pull it off, althou this would be a better show if the actors were not so known to teh public. I think its going to need some time untill i have a truthfully opinion about this and any shows that started their first seasons now.
    In conclusion, forget about the office and see this as another mockumentary that talks about another reall life crisis: those green places we find on our citys and the busy world of minicipality affairs :D
  • Office Spinoff?

This show does a lot of things right but can't climb in the ratings too high on my scale because I feel like I'm watching The Office in a new setting. Leslie Knope is Michael Scott 2.0.

Its not really a bad thing. The Office was great. But Parks and Rec seems to be a little ways off from creating its own identity.

Of all the sitcoms to hook your boat to, The Office isn't a bad one though.
  • Leslie Knope is trying to turn a pit into a park, while working for the mid-level government. She takes her job very serious and creates a comity, including Ann Perkins whose boyfriend fell in the pit, and some of Leslie's co-workers.

'Parks & Recreation' is possibly one of the funniest shows I've seen in years. Dry, retarded humor with comical situations, P&R has a wonderful talented cast lead by Amy Poehler who was barely funny in 'Baby Mama' but hits every joke as an obsessed and kind of sad government person who does whatever to make herself believe she's important. Also the relations between the characters, and the charactes themselves are very interesting and you are immediately invested in them. The show is very, very funny and has great episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this in the future because this just might be a new weekly half hour of good laughs.
  • impressive, most impressive.

i watched every episode of this show in it's first season run and i thought it was just okay. mediocre at best, and after watching every episode of season two, i got to say that this show has improved allot! whatever they have been doing with it has really changed my feeling for this show and i actually look forward to watching it now. for me, the characters who were not all that enjoyable before, but passable, have become characters that you care about now. i love the NBC thursday prime-time line up this season! community is awesome, parks and recreation is good now & the office is brilliant like always. :D
  • A pleasant suprise

Parks and recreation Is a blatant rip off of the office and I still like it. the main reason why I decided to watch the show was Rashida Jones but I was quickly drawn in by Leslie knope (Amy poehler) A nutter with a heart the female Michael Scott as the character will forever be known and rightly so there is room for them both on TV. Hopefully as the show develops the supporting cast will fill out there rolls a lot more and we move the focus off Amy I hope they avoid the will they wont they situation like they had in the office as so many shows use this formula but that's what seems to draw people in there's a lot of work to do and the show has an uphill struggle being viewed as an office copycat might count against it when people hear about this show but my advice is try it out first and form your own opinion
  • I still see this show as a spin-off of The Office. The always present but never seen or heard documentary film camera is for all practicable purposes a character and an obvious link between the two shows.

Never Judge a Show by its Pilot: Parks and Recreation WARNING: This article could make a good drinking game if you take a shot every time you read The Office. Please read responsibly.
    First impressions:
    NBC is setting the bar very high as they promote their new sitcom Parks and Recreation by saying, "From Emmy Award-winning executive producers Greg Daniels (NBC's "The Office," "King of the Hill") and Michael Schur (NBC's "The Office," "Saturday Night Live") comes a new mockumentary that looks at the exciting world of local government." In the past when I have seen creative people try to do something new or different and the network's selling point of the creative people's new show is those creative people's past successes it did not always do the new show any favors by setting false expectations (Never Judge a Show by its Pilot: THE CLASS). Resume style promotion only impresses Hollywood insiders. Fortunately, the Sneak Previews give me the impression that this new show will do for local government what The Office did for Middle Management/Corporate America. Why can't they just say that? Now more than ever there are many institutions that deserve to be mocked.

FYI: A religious or financial institution would fit nicely in this mockumentary format. Call me...

Unfortunately, after hearing about this show for the last several months (It was originally described as an untitled spin-off of The Office starring Amy Poehler. Then it was not a spin-off of The Office), one has to question if this show is ready for prime time or only half-baked. In fairness to all parties concerned, Amy Poehler's pregnancy did delay the show's production by a few months.

Expectations:
    Amy Poehler is funny and has a proven track record on Saturday Night Live, Upright Citizens Brigade, and her movie Baby Mama. She will deliver the laughs no matter what project is thrown her way. I have every confidence that she can carry a show it just has to be the right show. This now begs the question, will people want to watch an Amy Poehler weekly TV show where she only plays one character?

I watched the pilot:
    Amy Poehler plays Leslie Knope a mid-level bureaucrat in the Parks and Recreation Department of Pawnee, Indiana who aspires to be high-level bureaucrat. Like on The Office, the familiar documentary cameras follow Leslie throughout her workday. Leslie and the other characters also speak directly to the camera. Leslie is assisted by her colleague, Tom Haverford played by Aziz Ansari. I thought the Leslie-Tom dynamic is similar to that of Michael & Jim on The Office only Tom has a lower moral threshold and uses his government job for personal gain. Where Leslie aspires to be the the first woman president, Tom aspieres to be another Governor Blagojevich.

The episode opens with Leslie holding a town hall meeting, where she meets a local nurse Ann Perkins (Rashida Jones) whose boyfriend (Chris Pratt) fell into a pit on an abandoned construction site and broke his legs. Leslie is inspired to turn the site into a community park. Leslie's boss, Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman), is anti-government and would rather see the parks department run by a corporation like Chuck E. Cheese. Leslie's savior is city planner Mark Brendanawicz (Paul Schneider) who has been in public service for fifteen years and was burned out after his first two months on the job. Leslie has a special place in Mark's heart because Mark sees that Leslie really believes in the cause where everybody else is either burned out or cynical... They also slept together. Mark calls in a favor from Ron to let Leslie have her park project. Rounding out the cast is Aubrey Plaza who plays the apathetic college intern April Ludgate.

Now we met the characters and we know their agendas. I can see the "Building a Park" story-line carrying the show from now to the fall season and possibly beyond. When you add how people feel about civil service workers, this show might take off.

I still see this show as a spin-off of The Office. Even though we do not see any of Dunder Mifflin employees, the always present but never seen or heard documentary film camera is for all practicable purposes a character and an obvious link between the two shows. Things look optimistic for this new show but as you know, I never judge a show by its pilot.

I saw the following episode: We meet Leslie's unsupportive mother (Played by Pamela Reed) who is high up in the school board. Leslie and her team canvas the neighborhood to get support on the park project. The city manager has federal funding, wants to fast track Leslie's project, and attends the next night's town hall meeting that turns out to be a disaster. I had a few laughs through out the episode (Especially the Easter egg hunt where Tom forgot to hide the eggs). The funniest part is the sense that the show is more plugged into our own political reality more than anybody wants to admit. I can see people watch the show and ask, "What real event inspired this episode?" I do not see a public servant in the future approach Amy Poehler and saying, "I became a bureaucrat because of you." Then again...

To quote Leslie Knope, "This is where the rubber of government meets the road of actual human beings."

Stay Tuned

Tony Figueroa
  • The show makes me laugh out loud.

The great thing about the show is that it does not take the easy way out. The characters are developing well and are going in directions that are far from predictable. The Tom Haverford character is refreshngly non-sterotypical without trying too hard to be. Also the character is funny without even saying a word. His facial expressions are priceless. The Leslie Knope character plays well with the other characters. She maintains her innocence without coming off as as cartoon character. However, it is the Tom charater that is the star of the show. The writers have been careful not to feature him too much at the expense of the other characters. Finally, the secondary characters as well as the one-shot characters contribute to the quality of the show because they are given great lines and are involved is meaningful storylines.
  • the best show on thursday night that isn't the office

Season 1 of this show really sucked but season 2 has been pretty good thus far. Now this show is by no means any where near as good as the office but it is still a funny and enjoyable show. The characters are likable and funny. Tom is hilarious and so is leslie and that guy who is the boss or whatever is the funniest one. For thursday nights this season the office is top, this is second, 30 rock(REALLY overrated) is third, and community is last. I'm really excited to see how this show goes and i enjoy watching it whenever i have the time
  • The Office but for the outdoors.

PARKS AND RECREATION,
    - From the writers and creators of the Office comes the new blend of what life is like in the low form. As people from the offices of parks and recreation get there due. Amy Poehler is the head characters in this show. Usually i dont like Amy, mostly from her SNL days. But now that she isnt playing every character i tolerate her. With the supporting cast playing around Amy's weird and out of her mind character. It's nice and different type of comedy that is way better than that Kath and Kim thing, show. Overall, NBC, u got a good one in her hands dont let this go. Let it grow like 30 Rock and u'll have a hit on ur hands.
  • Parks and Recreation Series Review

Parks and Recreation is an NBC sitcom somewhat similar in premise to The Office, but with the focus being on government politics rather than business politics. It's from the same people who do SNL and The Office so go figure.

First off, the first few episodes are bad, but once you get through the first 4-6 episodes the show is nearly as good as The Office, and starts to come into its own. The series suffers in the beginning because it was trying way too hard to be the second coming of The Office. The show is shot documentary style, like The Office, with characters giving side interviews. Amy Poehler from Saturday Night Live plays Leslie Knope, the leader of the Parks Department. Amy's problem in the first few episodes is that she came off less like a sitcom character and more like an SNL Skit character by overacting too much. Will Sasso from Mad TV has the same problem. Anyway, the Leslie character starts off as basically a female version of Michael Scott before hitting her own stride later on.

Rashida Jones (Karen Filipelli from The Office) plays Ann Perkins, but early on you can't really tell the difference between her Ann Perkins character and the character that she played on The Office (Karen Filipelli). As the show wears on though, she starts to distinguish Ann Perkins from Karen Filipelli.

Another thing that plagued Parks and Recreation early on was miscasting. Paul Schneider played Mark Brendanawicz, who was given the back story of a bad boy/playboy but it wasn't believable because Mark's character had absolutely no personality and came off more like a poor man's Jim Halpert. He was supposed to be this handsome playboy, but he just came off like a geek with no personality.

April Ludgate is basically the ANTI-Kelly Kapoor. She's the exact opposite. While Kelly had the personality of a mindless, shopaholic, shallow tween... April is a sarcastic, quiet, emo kid who doesn't care about anything.

Ron Swanson is like a more manly Dwight Schrute. He's not quite as over-the-top, but he fills the same sort of anti-government survivalist role and he's hilarious.

Jerry Gergich is basically the punching bag of the group. Everyone picks on him similarly to Phyllis on The Office.

Tom Haverford is another comedic character who hits it well. He's sort of like a younger more immature Indian version of Barney Stinson.

Andy Dwyer is the resident moron that every sitcom has who seems to get dumber as the show wears on.

Donna Meagle sort of fills comedic voids. She's alright too.

Once the second season starts, the show gets really good. I urge EVERYONE who likes The Office to just hold on through the first season (Luckily, season one is only 6 episodes). The show takes about 6-8 episodes to really start to get into it. The series gets even better once Rob Lowe and Adam Scott join the cast as the "good cop/bad cop" supervisors who come in to fix the department. PLEASE give this show a chance. It's awesome once you get out of the first season.

• This show has turned into the best show on the Thursday night line-up. Really, two words sum it up perefectly...Ron Swanson.

This show has turned into the best show on the Thursday night line-up. I just love it! he first season didn't start off the best, but you could sense that it was going somewhere great...and it did! They have developed the characters so well, without tiring them out. A wonderful show that just keeps getting better. Really two words sum it up perefectly...Ron Swanson. BTW-Whitney sucks.

• Tongue-in-cheek humor at its best!

Watching Amy Poehler's character of Leslie Knope be this wellspring of enthusiasm despite the utter disregard of the people around her and the mundane nature of her job is fabulous. I can't see anyone else playing this role with any degree of believability other than Poehler. Add to that the forced smile that she practically freezes onto her face for the benefit of the documentary camera that's following her every move and the positive spin she tries to put on every gaff and foible makes this show a genuine joy to watch. Perhaps we are finally past the days when canned laughter has to be added to let people know when something funny happened. Shows like this assume the audience knows what is going on and doesn't need everything spoon-fed to them. Well done. Very well done. Keep up the good work!
  • I have never watched The Office so I really didn't get the comparisons to that show and why people called it a spin-off. I was really intrigued in the beginning because it was hilarious and the plot was very well thought out.

To be honest, I am not really a comedy show guy but I do watch them. This show made me laugh my ass off. I was so surprised to see how this show turned out to be. I thought it was going to be good, but not that good. I did know Amy Poehler before by Mean Girls, Baby Mamma, and I watched a little bit of Saturday Night Live so I was thrilled to see what she brought in her own show and it was something great. She is one of the main reasons why this show succeeded in the beginning and why it got renewed for the second season. I can't wait to see the storylines of season two, but I know they're going to be good.
  • I fell-en in love with this show after getting it for Christmas.

When i first got this show as a present i was a bit "m'eh" I only really knew Aziz Ansari from the cast, and the subject matter was not really of interest. But after about the third episode i just wanted to watch MORE! At first you just think the main character (Leslie Knope) is just an idiot, but there is something endearing about the character (brilliantly played by Amy Poehler) and her growing (if not unlikely) friendship with Ann (Rshida Jones) The Interplay between the characters is brilliant with some complex relationships and two camera filming adds depth to story and scenes.

Also the silent comedy with the subtle looks of disdain (aimed at the Brilliant Knope) from Tom Haverford, Rashida Jones and Aubrey Plaza. love Aziz Ansari's Improvised tangents & am glad to see that Aubrey Plaza's character is getting more of a role this season and am interested to see how things between April and Andy progress.

As for comparisons between this and The Office; it's a mockumentary set (occasionally) in an office, here is where the comparison ends.
  • Parks and Recreation is being compared to The Office and is said that it does not meet The Office criteria and/or this show is a wannabe The Office. These comments are more hilarious than the show itself!

"Parks and Recreation" is being compared to "The Office" and is said that it does not meet "The Office" criteria and/or this show is a wannabe "The Office". These comments are more hilarious than the show itself! How can this show be a wannabe when it comes from the same producers of "The Office". Anyways, seeing the Pilot of "Parks and Recreation" and continuous episodes, I think they couldn't have cast a better group of characters. The characters put so much life into the show. You have one character who makes you chuckle, and another who simultaneously backs the chuckle up with a hysterical laugh.
    I also enjoy the theme of the show and how the Parks Department of the show helps to make the city of Pawnee a better place for everyone, environmentally speaking.
    Amy Poehler does an amazing job performing her character as Leslie Knope. Her comedic intellect in the show just makes you want to laugh. She performs actions of her character that the character herself doesn't find funny, but the viewers do!
    I also think the other characters of this show really are the gravy and corn to the Turkey. Nick Offerman does great portraying his character of seriousness and boss-like business. Aziz Ansari is also another hilarious character who, if this show didn't have, it wouldn't be as comedic. Aubrey Plaza, who portrays April, is quite amusing also. Her speechless facial expressions, show off the other characters stupidity.
    This show is nothing compared to anything else on television. The Parks department of this show is superb and no other characters of any other show can compare to this show's optimistic and comedic cast.
  • How This Show Is Different From The Office

Season 1, this WAS an Office copycat. Leslie Knope was an inept bumbler who took her job so seriously that no one took her seriously. Her employees, especially the guys, were straight men. But the show changed in its second season, starting with Leslie Knope.

Unlike Michael Scott, Leslie charms her employees into loving their job as much as she. She's highly capable and enthusiastic. She's cute as hell. Unlike Michael's employees, each of Leslie's is uniquely developed, hilarious, and--key word--lovable, strong enough to carry an episode on their own. Most shows are lucky to have one Great character who sticks with you: Gustavo Fring from Breaking Bad, Coach McGuirk from Home Movies... IMO, Parks and Rec has at least three: Leslie, Ron, and Jenn Barkley.

I stuck through Season 1 on Netflix because I had nothing else to do. It wasn't until "Hunting Trip," in Season 2, that I felt the show take a turn for the better. If you're a newbie, that's where I recommend you start. By the Season 2 finale, I felt so lucky to have stuck it out. Every episode from there to the end of Season 4 is hilarious. And I mean it. I love this show.
  • Pawnee 1st in friendship 4th in obesity

I love this show it is one of my all time favorite comedies, i love the cast and just everything about it
  • kid yo

Can I be april's dead pan kid? Please, or not I don't care.
  • One of the few shows that make me laugh...

The fact that ratings for this show exist with a score lower than 9 is surprising as this show naturally encourages me to laugh, a rare experience to be sure. I'm the kind of person that enjoys the comedies of Archer, the Office, Family Guy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Curb Your Enthusiasm, I'm all over the map... and this show appeals to my zany side, my clever side and the side of me that enjoys watching character development.

I'd rate this show a 10/10 but there's the possibility a show could one day appear that will make me laugh harder.
< 1 2