Parks and Recreation

Ron and Tammys

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 2011 on NBC

7.3
  • "Don't drink that, Leslie! We use it to melt the warts off of mules."

Ron Swanson. Is there a character on television who is as interesting as him? From episode to episode, he stays the same, yet at the same time, we occasionally see radically different sides of him that are both hilarious and stunning. I remember last season, with Ron and Tammy Part 2, we saw Ron going completely out of his mind, getting drunk with Tammy 2 and getting cornrows. With the return of Tammy 1 in his life, this time auditing him, we see Ron turn into a little man-child, shave his mustache and act cheerful. That's not the Ron we know!

This episode of Parks and Recreation was just flat-out funny from beginning to end, and placing this show before The Office only illuminates how much funnier this show is. I was losing it half of the time, missing the follow-up jokes because I was still laughing at the other jokes. For instance, the Entertainment 720 plot was pretty removed from everything else in the episode (as was Anne and Chris' very strange plot), but Tom Haverford, Ben Wyatt and Jean Ralphio make for a very strange comedic trio. Whether it was Ben saying, "Oh yeah, break-evens.. those are fun!" or Ben hitting the party button and making the entire 720 office start dancing... there was just too much to love here. Oh yeah, there was also Jean Ralphio's "Are we calling everyone Baby now? Cause that's Snapple, Baby!"

As I mentioned before, Ann and Chris had a weird plot. Chris wants to reshoot a boring diabetes informercial that Pawnee made and ends up showing off a neurotic side. Chris was always enjoyable, but here, he seemed sort of like a cartoon. However, Rob Lowe knows exactly how to play him and he's perfect in the role.

But the real focus of the episode is on Ron and the Tammy's in his life. All of the Tammy's make a return appearance here, and all of them are in top form. Patricia Clarkson makes for aparticularlyterrifying Tammy 1. The way she's able to get Ron to follow her every order is ridiculous, but Clarkson does a great job. Also, incapacitated Leslie is amazing. My favorite drunk Leslie moment was seeing her hold up a little figurine and say, confused, "What is this?!"

A great episode of Parks and Recreation overall.

• Tammy 1 on the attack

Ron just seems to have the worst luck when it comes to love, one version of Tammy is as bad as the last one; personally I feel the reason he married the two wives of the same name is because he has an edipus complex once we hear his mom is also named Tammy. I think the best leason he can learn from those experences as well as the one's now is to never date or even marry anyone named Tammy. This is another very good episode which makes us explore even more depth on Ron.

The only negative I have of the episode was I thought that comment on Tammy 1 throwing acid on Tammy 2's foot wasn't funny.

That aside everything else was very good. The sub plots were good I like that one with Chris and Ann. I love how Chris reacts doing a PSA that is boring, it's kinda like a kid who is in front of a home video camera just excited just to be able to see yourself on a TV. It was funny how Chris was coming up with different creative ways of doing the PSA which actually made that PSA entertaining. But I liked what Chris said at the end which I thought was touching because it showed he's feeling for Ann were genuine.

Tom and Jean's business is really bizzare because both aren't really doing any work, let alone some of their funature and archetural choices were strange. I like the comic trio that was forming with Ben, Tom, and Jean, you can say all three of them could almost be "The Three Studges", one favorate moment was with the party button which I'll admit was kinda cool.

But of course the real joy was of course Ron himself. It was both funny and a little disturbing seeing Ron just become reduced into a man child. From that bright striped polo t shirt and the mustashe shaved off, he still looks good but I prefer him with the mustashe it's just like with actor Tom Selick it's his trademark not the same without it. My second favorate verbal moment was seeing him actually say that the goverment was good and helps, I thought OMG I could not believe I heard him say that, I both cracked up and was disturbed at the same time.

I also liked it when we got into his old home and talked to his mom, which put some more depth into Ron. It was both funny and cool seeing Ron actually has an Armory with about the same amount of guns as "The Punisher".

Patricia Clarkson is great as Tammy 1, whom is a villian that can really make a spring day feel like winter. Her character is so frigid, brittle, dominering, a user, gold digger, and just like Tammy 2 her mission is to make both Ron and everyone else's life a living Hell for no reason. She is also kinda funny in a very dry sense. Why the heck April would idolize her is beyond me, but it's April after all. On a side note from her characteristics and physical look she almost looks as though she could be the mom of the character Angela from "The Office".

And the best part was the drinking contest, which had my number 1 favorate verbal joke moment when Ron conastantly describes the alchol his mom brought has more uses then one. That I thought was hillarous because it feed you imagination on how powerful that stuff really is, even April herself can't drink it. It was really touching that once again Lesile was helping her best friend by engaging in this deadly contest, and we hear how drunk she is. But in the end after Ron guzzles down the bottle once again using his superhuman tolerance of alchol, he once again does what any person in a bad relationship should do, stand up for himself and break it off.

Once again Ron has survived Tammy 1, lets just hope theres no Tammy 3.