Parks and Recreation

The Bubble

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 19, 2011 on NBC

7.2
  • "Aw wait... this phone smells like butt."

The first part of tonight's one hour season finale of Parks and Recreation not only reminds us of how comedy shows are supposed to do finales but they also remind us of how freakin' hilarious the show is. Despite the fact that I liked the second part better, this episode had more than its fair share of plots, and once again shows that, unlike Modern Family, this show is great at balancing out its stars. Every character feels like it gets a nice little scene to bite into.

The upstairs scenes where Tom and Andy have to work on the fourth floor (a nice call back to the episode where Tom goes to that floor to get a divorce from Wendy). The quote that I put in the summary was my favorite one, just because of how random it was, and I also liked the old women that made fun of everything Tom did upstairs... that rascally ol' Ethel Biebers.

The episode gets its name from the fact that Leslie and Ben have found a comfortable spot and have a bubble around them that protects them from everything else, and that bubble threatens to get burst when Ben meets Leslie's mom and Leslie's mom starts hitting on Ben. It's a funny little plot.. not the best the show has done, but still very good.

I also liked the way that Chris tried making a bunch of changes. He put Ron in a circular desk in the middle of the office and does a hilarious demonstration of how it works, puts Jerry in charge of dealing with people, which means we get to see him nervously jumble his words like in "Park Safety" and we get to see April scootering around on a little portable desk. Funny stuff.

As I said before, I liked the second episode more, but this one was definitely worth the laughs.