Parks and Recreation

The Fight

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 12, 2011 on NBC

7.6
  • Tom creates a new alcohol while Ann and Leslie have their first real fight.

"The Fight" is another one of those episodes that does a superb job of taking every character in the show, every little tiny detail it for, whether it's a minor character introduced two seasons ago or an event that happened earlier in the show, and milks them all for everything they're worth. We get dozens of highlights here without any of them threatening to overtake the others.. it's just a solid half hour of television.

Mostly everything revolves around the fact that Tom has created a new alcohol named Snake Juice and is debuting it at the Snake Hole Lounge. He wants everybody from the office to go and check it out and do guerilla marketing, which is where everybody goes around and claims they love the drink and gets others to drink it. However, everybody ends up getting super-drunk off of it, which gets Leslie and Ann in their first fight ever. You see, Leslie wants to set up Ann with a job at the Parks department as a health consultant, and Ann doesn't like that her new aloof lifestyle is being threatened, and she also doesn't like Leslie making decisions for her.. this gets them in a fight that leads to many drunken yelps and threats.

As I mentioned earlier in the review, it helps that these writers know how to make every single character interesting, even those small insignificant seeming characters. For example, we have "The Douche" from that radio show "Ira and the Douche," who has a small role, but it's nice to see the show remembers him. We have Jean Ralphio with his rapping skills that would be fun if he actually knew how to RHYME. There's Ron, who makes the most hilarious drunk... in fact, everybody makes a great drunk on the show. There's Jerry being strapped to the top of Donna's Mercedes.. man, there's just too much good stuff to comment on.

And although it's lurking in the background, as usual, we get some great tension between Ben and Leslie. I don't care what people say, I really like the idea of these two together. Maybe it's just because I'm craving that awkward sort of sexual tension between characters like Jim and Pam again, but either way, the show made me feel right when Ben was introduced that they would want to hook up, and as it turns out, we were all right.

Just a great episode of Parks here.. Definitely the more impressive of the two episodes tonight.