Parks and Recreation

Time Capsule

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 03, 2011 on NBC

7.6
  • Leslie has to deal with a Twilight addict and a group of people who want different things in the Time Capsule

I love Parks and Recreation and I think it's impressive how far the show has come since its pilot episode. However, this was probably my least favorite episode since the Fred Armisen episode in Season 2, or even some of the episodes of Season 1. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with me, and I respect that. I don't know if it was the Twilight tilt or the lack of urgency that the last couple episodes have had, but this one seemed to fall a little flatter than usual.

The basic idea is that Leslie and the town of Pawnee is burying a time capsule that "encapsulates" the town (Leslie uses that pun about a billion times, and it gets funnier every time). However, one guy wants to put a copy of the Twilight series in there, claiming it's the best series ever. Will Forte plays the guy, and he does an alright job in the role.. I mean, Will Forte is Will Forte, and if you want to know what he acts like in it, just watch any of his SNL skits or any of his movies.

From here, we get a public forum created by Leslie and Ben that brings out the crazies of Pawnee once again. Public forums of Pawnee never fail to create hilarious moments, and the arguments over why Twilight should or should not be included. The women who kept saying "quivering" was great here, and near the end of the forum, Ben and Leslie share a nice little moment. At first, I thought Ben was sort of a dry character, but Adam Scott plays him the way he plays most characters: down to earth, by the books but always willing to prove that he has a good sense of humor and a good heart.

By the time the episode ends, we've reached a pretty satisfying place where every character is working perfect with each other and everything is going peachy. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the episode.. maybe I just hate Twilight and think it's not something worth going into on an episode of Parks, one of the best shows on TV right now. Either way, by the end, I'm reminded of how much I love these characters.