Party Down

Investors Dinner

Aired Friday 10:30 PM Apr 10, 2009 on Starz

• Best episode yet.

Mr. Lipman! Always good to see a Seinfeld alumni pop up on TV.

This had to be the best episode yet. I was laughing at just abut everything Henry, Ronald, Casey and Roman said. Constance continues to be utterly annoying though, and I cannot comprehend how people out there actually like her.

Party Down seems to be steadily improving and let us hope that this is a sign of things to come for the show. Its second season prospects are not to strong as of this writing, but there is always hope that people will start tuning in and witness this potentially good show.
  • Good episode, and a great ending.

I'm a literary nerd, and being a creative writing, I enjoy obscure references to novels, plays, short stories and poems more than other people might.. so when we got a reference to Chekov's Gun, I was pretty pumped, and I'm pretty sure that it pretty much sums up the show itself.. if we're introduced something small and minor in the beginning, chances are, it's going to make a return sometime by the end of the play/episode/movie/whatever you want to call it.

This episode revolved around an investor's dinner, and we got another glimpse at how motivated Ron seems to be. Even though Ron is a funny character, I would say he's my least favorite.. It's mostly personal preference, but I prefer the other cast members more. With that being said, I really liked the way that the Henry/Casey relationship is being developed. It's not being subtly hinted at for multiple seasons like Jim and Pam.. nope, it appears to be going to the route of Ross and Rachel, where they get together and then break up and get together and break up.. hopefully they won't do that to the extent they did for Friends, but either way, it's fun to watch.

It just started occuring to me after this episode, but the Romin character is really just like Dwight. Both are nerds and have an absurd amount of knowledge about stupid things. Either way, Martin Starr is a funny guy, and his scenes with Ryan Hansen's character are great. I wasn't thrilled about Jane Lynch in this episode, with her strange "Three Little Pigs" thing, but the rest of the cast more than made up for it.

And the ending was EXCELLENT. What a way to bring the Beretta back into play, even if it could be seen from a mile away. As soon as I found out that the guy was frauding his investors, I started working out scenarios in which the gun could return. But who cares about how predictable a scene is? It sure didn't ruin this from being a funny episode.