Party Down

Jackal Onassis Backstage Party

Aired Friday 10:30 PM Apr 23, 2010 on Starz

• Not too bad for a season premiere, but not as funny as I expected

I don't have Starz, unfortunately, so while I catch up on my Showtime and HBO shows, I'm forced to miss any new Starz shows that premiere. I found Party Down on Netflix a few months ago and flew through the 10 episodes, enamored by its unique humor and especially its characters. Unlike some shows, the jokes depend completely upon the characters who tell the jokes. I thought that Party Down was one of the top three comedies last year and that Season 2 would be even better.

The premiere wasn't my favorite episode by a longshot. With Henry as Team Leader now, things aren't quite as fun and carefree as they used to be. I understand that this is some good character development for Adam Scott's character, but if I'm being honest, his character works better as more of a joker. The scenes between him and Casey were painfully awkward, and it just didn't feel like that typical Party Down humor.

There were some incredible parts though: Roman as Jackel Onassis was classic, and watching him try to pick up women while the real Jackel Onassis was great. Roman was great overall tonight, especially his discussion about Jackel Onassis' CD name and how it doesn't make sense. I'm not sure I can type it's name out on this site, but watch it for yourself and see. I wasn't a huge fan of Megan Mullaly's character, Lydia, but she's certainly a good actress, so I'm willing to give her more of a chance. But it sure was nice to see some more of Ron Donald, the pathetic and perpetually clueless old Team Leader of Party Down. You can't help but feel bad for the poor guy, and even if he's not as funny, he still is likable.

I really hope Party Down can improve next week. It appears that JK Simmons and Joey Lauren Adams are making a return next week, and the episode with them last year was my favorite of that season. I have a feeling it'll end up being great.