Party Down

Willow Canyon Homeowners Annual Party

Aired Friday 10:30 PM Mar 20, 2009 on Starz

• A decent beginning to a show that clearly has hilarious days ahead of it.

I was a little slow getting to the party (let's all laugh at the awful pun!), but I must say that this is my type of humor. I have a penchant for deadpan humor, and the cast that's been assembled on Party Down is nothing short of hilarious. The pilot was pretty funny, but had a lot more serious parts than I originally expected, which isn't a bad thing at all. It's rare that you see a pilot that just completely grabs you,pulls you in and gives you a clear-cut idea of what it will be like later down the line (Lost and 24 may be considered exceptions, along with other shows in that genre).

First off, I have to comment on the cast. Adam Scott, Jane Lynch, Martin Starr, Lizzy Caplin and Ken Marino all bring their A-Game, whether it's their over-the-top behavior (just watch Ken Marino's character, Ronald, stop himself from asking the African American if he wants fried chicken and try not to laugh; it's perfect comedic timing) or dead-pan humor (Martin Starr is incredible at this.. every movie and TV show he's been in have each been consistently great). Adam Scott has that quirky and witty type of personality that I've liked in characters for awhile, and what else can I say about Jane Lynch except that she's her fantastic, off-beat self.

The only problem, for me, was that the dialogue was almost too slow and dramatic for a show that has been lauded one of TV's best comedies as of late. It didn't feel dramatic in the way Damages is dramatic, but in an uncomfortable, awkward, out-of-place kind of way. Hopefully not every episode is like this. Either way, I really enjoyed the premiere, but I hope it can improve as the show goes on. The cast is just too good to waste on a sub-par type television show. Oh, and it's also pretty cool that Paul Rudd writes/produces the show. Maybe he'll make a guest-star appearance?