Party of Five

Pilot

Aired Unknown Sep 12, 1994 on FOX

• Party of Five Pilot

KDOC is showing Party of Five from the beginning. Never got to watch this show from its original runs so it's interesting to see this. Also interesting to see Matthew Fox before LOST. His character of Charlie Salinger is so different from Jack.

Charlie is irresponsible, sleazy, tends to be more aggressive than passive and is anything but honest. Actually Charlie in a way reminds more of Sawyer.

Anyhow, this is a pretty good show. It still has that sitcom feeling where miraculous things happen that wouldn't happen in real life. However, the writers end up developing the character enough to be seemingly real for the most part.

In the pilot Charlie is working as a handyman something he would for a while in Season One before getting the bartending job from his Dad's friend.

We see immediately that Charlie isn't the wisest of making important decision when one of his friends fouls up a business deal using up a huge amount of the families cash.

There's a lot of funny jokes here following Charlie's colossal blunder like where Bailey acts him if gambled the house away in a poker bet.

Bailey is the younger brother. A little more reliable than Charlie but not always. The writers end up writing a beautiful Nanny into the picture.

We meet Julia, Neve Campbell. Julia is the typical teenager girl very naive and like the rest not the best at making decisions.

The little girl whose the musical prodigy is absolutely priceless. Seeing the family in hard times she sells her violin.

If I had to the pick the character I like the most it's Claudia. Still possessing that childlike innocence and not as selfish as her brothers and sisters. She's my favorite.
  • In the pilot episode, we meet the Salinger children. They are five children, whose parents passed away a while back in a car accident. They seem to be having problems, both personally and financially, and we see how they cope up with it.

I really liked the way on how the episode focused on the different problems that each of them face, and how they respond to it. Julia tries dating a guy she likes, only to get dumped by him, and feels depressed that she doesn't have her parents to turn to. Claudia pawns her violin to get more money to pay for the bills, even though playing the violin is her passion. Charlie gets cheated by someone and loses a lot of money, and searches for ways to make things right. Bailey hires a new nanny, only because he has a major crush on her. One of the interesting scenes that I enjoyed was the conversation between Bailey and Julia towards, the end of the episode, where Bailey still cannot seem to find the right words to make her feel better. This showed how realistic and down to Earth the characters are.

This episode had a lot going on, and has a nice blend of family humor and drama. Some scenes, like where Bailey is interviewing the prospective candidates for the nanny position, is really funny. You really feel for all the characters in a different way, which is what makes it so appealing to watch. All in all, this is definitely a good drama to continue watching.