Party of Five

Pilot

Aired Unknown Sep 12, 1994 on FOX

• In the pilot episode, we meet the Salinger children. They are five children, whose parents passed away a while back in a car accident. They seem to be having problems, both personally and financially, and we see how they cope up with it.

I really liked the way on how the episode focused on the different problems that each of them face, and how they respond to it. Julia tries dating a guy she likes, only to get dumped by him, and feels depressed that she doesn't have her parents to turn to. Claudia pawns her violin to get more money to pay for the bills, even though playing the violin is her passion. Charlie gets cheated by someone and loses a lot of money, and searches for ways to make things right. Bailey hires a new nanny, only because he has a major crush on her. One of the interesting scenes that I enjoyed was the conversation between Bailey and Julia towards, the end of the episode, where Bailey still cannot seem to find the right words to make her feel better. This showed how realistic and down to Earth the characters are.

This episode had a lot going on, and has a nice blend of family humor and drama. Some scenes, like where Bailey is interviewing the prospective candidates for the nanny position, is really funny. You really feel for all the characters in a different way, which is what makes it so appealing to watch. All in all, this is definitely a good drama to continue watching.