Pawn Stars Forums

Thursday 10:00 PM on The History ChannelIn Season

Official Episode Discusion Thread

GATZ1000

[1]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 39

Welcome to the Pawn Stars forum and here you can talk about the episodes as they air, if you need any information on the show check you the main page at history.com

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pamhalpert

[2]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 14
    This show is addicting. It really gives you an idea of how pawn shops tell you that an item will be hard to sell, but then quickly flip the item while making a ton.

D-LinkUK

[3]Oct 5, 2009
    • level: 24

Really been enjoying the show, a different aspect looking into this type of business, reminds me of King of Cars except the shows stars (Pawn Stars ) grew on me from the beginning, especially like Chumlee.

candy6544

[4]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 3
    Very addicting, Antiques Roadshow type feel to it too. The old man is funny as hell along with everyone else in the shop while still sticking to the point.

theclefe

[5]Dec 29, 2009
    • level: 4
    I'm not sure why people come to the pawn shop to sell cars and motorcycles when they could easily get more money elsewhere. Rare and unqiue items with limited buyers is one thing, but these guys really can't find a buyer who will give them more than 50% of its value?

pamhalpert

[6]Dec 30, 2009
    theclefe wrote:
    I'm not sure why people come to the pawn shop to sell cars and motorcycles when they could easily get more money elsewhere. Rare and unqiue items with limited buyers is one thing, but these guys really can't find a buyer who will give them more than 50% of its value?

I think it's because these guys have more money than car lots, but I see your point.

rdntknight

[7]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 1
    What I am curious to know is why they only made 10 episodes and then show them 2 at a time? In 5 weeks it's over and now we are stuck with re-runs?

Truth505

[8]Mar 15, 2010

Just wondering why people don't just sell their stuff for full price on Ebay or Craigs List rather than settle for pennies on the dollar with pawn brokers. Also, they wouldn't have to put up with the rudeness of the pawn stars.

asmo1978

[9]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 3

Well either way someone else is taking a size-able cut and the reality is 99% of the time you never get what something is worth. Yes you may come out a little farther ahead on Ebay however you may also come out very very short depending on what you are selling. Plus most times it is a lot less of a headache to pawn something, just practice your bartering skills before going in.

pamhalpert

[10]Mar 28, 2010
    Truth505 wrote:

Just wondering why people don't just sell their stuff for full price on Ebay or Craigs List rather than settle for pennies on the dollar with pawn brokers. Also, they wouldn't have to put up with the rudeness of the pawn stars.

I will easily answer your question. Most people that go to that pawn shop do so because they lost all their money gambling. (They Are In Vegas). But they can't admit that, so they actually want us to believe that they want to sell a priceless family heirloom just because it is taking up too much space in their house. Especially when they want $1,000 for an item, and Rick offers them $100 and they take it.

zan4

[11]Apr 2, 2010
    • level: 10
    its quick money

jrsgalaxy

[12]Sep 7, 2010

yeah its quick money. It's like Rick says at an auction house you might get what it's worth , but it'll take months and you have to pay the house a commission and your still gambling and what people are going to bid. Even if something is worth or valued at lets say ten thousand dollars by Rick's experts , with todays economy no one will pay that. Plus who here ever pays retail for clothes and other things above 20 dollars. Everyone waits for it to go on sale. Here you get only half of what its worth if your lucky or Rick really thinks its rare. True you could probably sell it for 75 percent of whats it worth , but who do you know that has like 7500 dollars to buy something they don't need. You only find people like that at auctions and and I already explained the auction process. So 5000 dollars right now and you can safely go home and don't have to tell the wife that you blew all your money gambling that day.

pawngirl666

[13]Jun 28, 2012
    It's interesting to consider what brings people to a pawn shop--that story would probably be just as interesting as what happens once the show starts!

MajLorne

[14]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 21
    theclefe wrote:
    *I know this is an old post*

I think it's more about face time. They get whatever it is they want to sell for millions of people to see and now they can get other people to think about buying their stuff. Millions of ppl is better than a limited amount of ppl searching on ebay or such. Plus the guys want something close to pristine condition and are probably going to lowball the price so they have enough to fix up whatever the problem is. Well that's my take.