PB&J Otter Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2000)

Playhouse Disney Rebranding as Disney Junior, Launching New Network

agent_0042

[1]May 27, 2010
    • level: 66
    Jumping into the fray already occupied by networks such as PBSKids Sprout, Nick Jr. and Qubo, coming in 2012, Disney is launching Disney Jr., a 24 hour ad-free network of Disney programming targeted at the 2-7 age group. The network replaces SoapNet, a current 24-hour network dedicated to airing nothing but soap operas or "daytime dramas." Additionally, the existing Playhouse Disney block on Disney Channel will be rebranded as Disney Junior and the rebranding will also be applied to the Playhouse Disney channels and blocks currently airing in non-U.S. markets.

Current Playhouse Disney programming will make its way over to the network, including shows such as Handy Manny, Special Agent Oso, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Imagination Movers. It is also reported to include "several new series... based on the classic Disney movies like Peter Pan, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid.

However, while a 24-7 Disney Junior block certainly sounds like good news for fans of classic Playhouse Disney fans, I must sound a note of caution that at this time none of the articles I can find mention anything about whether or not this network will include classic programming such as PB&J Otter, Bear in the Big Blue House or Out of the Box. I'll continue to keep an eye out for news, though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Raccoon1459

[2]May 27, 2010
    • level: 22
    Keep your fingers crossed. Good things come to those who wait.

Raccoon1459

[3]Dec 18, 2010

Here's a short commercial for Disney Junior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR_pmAgj1o0

agent_0042

[4]Dec 18, 2010
    Thank you, Raccoon!

All comments to the video are approved by Disney. I asked them if there was any chance of seeing classic Playhouse Disney shows on the network, like PB&J Otter or Bear in the Big Blue House.
    Edited on 12/18/2010 7:38pm

CDCB

[5]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 34
    Thanks for the news, Raccoon 1459!

I personally will make sure I get a new DVD recorder if they end up showing classic shows so I can archive them.

I don't understand why they've made another The Little Mermaid show, now that I think about it. Kind of weird because they do already have one.

agent_0042

[6]Dec 19, 2010
    Wait, so this one isn't just reruns of the old one? Weird. Though I know Jodi Benson is still active, so I guess it's neat that she has work as Ariel again (she is playing her, correct?) I never did see more than one or two episodes of the 1990s Little Mermaid show, though.

Raccoon1459

[7]Dec 20, 2010

101 Dalmatians: The Series must be returning because I noticed that one of the styles of the logo was white covered in black spots.

CDCB

[8]Dec 21, 2010
    That would be awesome if it returned. I loved that show as a kid. Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, PB&J is returning to Disney Junior in 2011, but I don't know how true that is.
    Edited on 12/28/2010 3:15pm

WWinnieF

[9]Apr 15, 2011
    • level: 20

Perhaps those "new series" are only "new" to younger fans, since Little Mermaid, Aladdin, 101 Dalmations, Hercules, et al already have had shows in the 1990's (most of 'em as part of ABC's One Saturday Morning).

Raccoon1459

[10]Aug 8, 2011

Speaking of Disney Junior, they showed Alice in Wonderland today. Not the one with Johnny Depp, but the other version.

WWinnieF

[11]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 20
    Raccoon1459 wrote:

Speaking of Disney Junior, they showed Alice in Wonderland today. Not the one with Johnny Depp, but the other version.

Anyone have an idea as to what channel it is for regular cable/satellite customers, because I do have the other channels that are expensive to get, like CN's Boomerang and Nick's Nicktoons & TeenNick, but I can't seem to find the channel for Disney Junior?

Raccoon1459

[13]Nov 25, 2011
    WWinnieF wrote:
    Raccoon1459 wrote:

Anyone have an idea as to what channel it is for regular cable/satellite customers, because I do have the other channels that are expensive to get, like CN's Boomerang and Nick's Nicktoons & TeenNick, but I can't seem to find the channel for Disney Junior?

Disney Junior isn't really a channel. At least not yet. Much like Playhouse Disney, Disney Junior only airs on the Disney Channel during the daytime.

EmberDP

[14]Dec 7, 2011
    • level: 13
    It now appears that the show will air, according to Wikipedia, February 2012 but we'll see how that plays out.

CDCB

[15]Dec 10, 2011
    EmberDP wrote:
    It now appears that the show will air, according to Wikipedia, February 2012 but we'll see how that plays out.

If they do end up airing it, I'm recording the whole series, without a doubt.

EmberDP

[17]Jan 22, 2012
    Looks like the wiki updated to push Disney Junior's premiere to March 23 2012 so we may see PB and J then.

Raccoon1459

[18]Jan 22, 2012

EmberDP wrote:
    Looks like the wiki updated to push Disney Junior's premiere to March 23 2012 so we may see PB and J then.

Of course, the majority of the weekly and weekend schedule will consist of Disney Junior's current shows.

EmberDP

[19]Mar 3, 2012
    http://www.rtv.de/sendungsdetails/1832954/pb-a-j-otter-die-rasselbande-vom-hoohaw-see.html
    Could it be that it's already airing on Disney Junior? When translated, it lists an episode airing 3/3/2012, which is today.

Jelly_Otter

[20]Mar 4, 2012
    • level: 4

EmberDP wrote:
    http://www.rtv.de/sendungsdetails/1832954/pb-a-j-otter-die-rasselbande-vom-hoohaw-see.html Could it be that it's already airing on Disney Junior? When translated, it lists an episode airing 3/3/2012, which is today.

That's the show being aired on German Disney Junior (Pay-TV). It's on since October 3, 2011 - according to http://www.wunschliste.de/9835/tv

Too bad Germans no longer air it on Super RTL.