Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

Environmental Hysteria

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Apr 18, 2003 on Showtime

• An interesting episode which questions the true motives behind environmental legislation and whether these laws actually accomplish their objective.

I really enjoyed this episode. It really explores the idea of unintended consequences.

For example, they examine the "Endangered Species Act". Now I'm all in favor of protecting our natural resources and wildlife, but Penn and Teller find a great example of how such legislation doesn't work and ultimately ends up hurting people.

They interviewed a wheelchair bound woman who could not build a handicap-accessible house on her property because an unusual bird species had a nest there. Consequently, she cannot sell the property or develop it in any way unless the birds leave (but must pay the property taxes, of course). She is forced to live in a house that is not handicap friendly and made to take showers with a garden hose outside.

I have to say this one really made me question the government's true motives. A+, Penn and Teller, you have done it again.
  • Penn & Teller look into the environmental movement and attempt to discredit their claims of an environmental holocaust.

This is a good episode that does have its high points (Patrick Moore's interview is one of those points) but the problem I have with the episode is a problem that exists through out the series. The side that Penn & Teller is for is represented by people who are very well knowledgeable on the subject and the side they are against is represented by people who are just the opposite. They have no idea what they are talking about and therefore they cannot present a viable debate. The show needs to correct this problem.
SHO