Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

Environmental Hysteria

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Apr 18, 2003 on Showtime

• An interesting episode which questions the true motives behind environmental legislation and whether these laws actually accomplish their objective.

I really enjoyed this episode. It really explores the idea of unintended consequences.

For example, they examine the "Endangered Species Act". Now I'm all in favor of protecting our natural resources and wildlife, but Penn and Teller find a great example of how such legislation doesn't work and ultimately ends up hurting people.

They interviewed a wheelchair bound woman who could not build a handicap-accessible house on her property because an unusual bird species had a nest there. Consequently, she cannot sell the property or develop it in any way unless the birds leave (but must pay the property taxes, of course). She is forced to live in a house that is not handicap friendly and made to take showers with a garden hose outside.

I have to say this one really made me question the government's true motives. A+, Penn and Teller, you have done it again.
SHOXE