Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

Feng Shui / Bottled Water

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Mar 07, 2003 on Showtime

• This show was never intended to shed any light on the real and fascinating topic of feng shui. It was only meant to ridicule and use deceptive tactics to accomplish their goal.

The producer of the **** episode on Feng Shui, Star Price, is a liar. When he approached me about the show he insisted that it was going to be a very complementary and respectful show. There was obviously no title given for the show at the time and I did not know that Penn & Teller would be editted in as the hosts. In fact, Penn is a liar too because Dennis Miller once interviewed Penn and asked him if the people on his show know what they are getting into and Penn said absolutely. Not true.

The point of this review is not to try to convince anyone skeptical about feng shui that it is in fact a legitimate practice that helps most people. The point is to reveal that the show's producers set up many circumstances in which they could achieve their sole goal of mocking feng shui. For example: they gave 3 consultants each different information about the house that was being assessed. So of course there is going to be a contradictory analysis if one person thinks the house was built in 1950 and another practitioner is told it was built in 1990 and another one something else. If someone is given the wrong information in any field, the results are going to vary or contradict. Feng Shui takes into account time/space theory so the age of a building is critical to the analysis. What viewers also do not know is that they editted the show in such a way, that, at least I can verify for my own interview, that they had me saying things I didn't really say. For instance, they asked me what I charge and I said, "I usually charge 25 cents per square foot, but there are some in my field who charge as much as $2 per square foot." They literally spliced this sentence so that on the show I appeared to say "I charge (pause) $2 per square foot." (8 times the amount I actually charge.) I could go on an on citing one example after another where they editted segments, on purpose, to make us all look ridiculous. I can't speak for the other consultants, who admittedly said some weird things,(every industry has some people who are good and honest and others who are not), but the whole point of the show was to mock, even though they want to give you the impression that they are doing some kind of public service so that you don't get taken advantage of. I have to say that I have been interviewed by all sorts of media people and they almost NEVER want to really understand how feng shui really works. I have offered to conduct blind case studies and do "before" and "after" cases with real subjects, but most media people either want to just portray feng shui as some eccentric Chinese deal-or worse-that it's snake oil and has no value at all. Feng Shui is actually a really amazingly accurate phenomenon. More than thirty years ago people in the United States thought acupuncture was really strange and now it is covered by many insurance companies. To be really scientific, one must always keep an open mind. And in case you think I am just disappointed in the episode I was in, I have to tell you that they were extremely rude to one chiropractor in another episode for no reason at all. They filmed him adjusting a little girl very delicately and they piped in Penn shouting expletives and that he was a child molester! This is all supposed to be very funny at the expense of someone's reputation and livelihood. What viewers don't know is that some of the unsuspecting guests on these shows looked into slander lawsuits, but going up against Showtime is like David and Goliath. Viewers should know that with the general releases we signed, they could have put Saddam Hussein's head on our bodies and there would have been nothing we could have done about it. If someone would like to understand feng shui better, and clear their head from the "****" they heard on the Penn & Teller show, contact me and I will send you a complementary copy of my first book, "Feng Shui for Skeptics: Real Solutions Without Superstition.---www.KartarDiamond.com
SHO