Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

"Fat Guy Olympics from Obessity show????

PikeBishop

[1]Mar 24, 2007
    • level: 31

Anyone else think that event smacked of a "set up?"  I mean that "average guy" was absolutely pathetic.  His approach to the long jump was laughable.  When I used to coach adaptive PE for special ed middle schoolers I saw Down's Syndrome Kids with Tourette's do a long jump approach bettter than that. He looked like somthing from that old SNL skit, "The Run, Throw and Jump like a Girl Olymics."

And the "fat guy" that won the 400 M race, he was barely breathing heavy as he crossed the tape.

Something seemed fishy about that whole set up.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LMH68

[2]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 57

oh

Edited on 05/09/2009 9:17am

PikeBishop

[3]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 31

LMH68 wrote:
    I know what you mean, but I do know people who look a bit overweight but work out a lot, & are fitter than some skinny people I know. The skinny eat what they like, but just seem to be skinny. At least until they approach 40

I know what you mean, I was clinically "underweight" for most of my life.  I left for college at 18 at 128 lbs. on a 5'10" frame! (The freshman 15 actually looked good on me)  I finally grew into my size and then sometime about the age of 35 I began retaining weight.  I now weigh just under 200, and don't look bad. I would like to lose 15 pounds of beer gut, but that's all.  I like to play golf, bicycle and row but I am no gym fanatic.  I cook for myself and make my own lunches.

Now, as to the show itself, I read an article on that BMI index years ago and thought it was B**: S**t then. According to that I would be overweight at 176 lbs!  176!  What a crock!

LMH68

[4]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 57

ok

Edited on 05/09/2009 9:19am

hrgbennet

[5]Nov 21, 2007
    • level: 1
    I wouldn't say set up....but they probably had an idea that "normal dude" wasn't too tough. I think if their were more Dans (or Davids? Hurt knee guy) representing that fat people, they would have lost for sure. But the point was to show how BMI doesn't take in consideration the actual physical capabilities of the person.

esotericgore

[6]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 6
    Set up or not, this proves a good point, that it doesn't matter if you're skinny or fat or in between. Health is not based on weight.