Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

Mount Rushmore

optimumacid

[1]May 11, 2007
    • level: 4
    This episode was just awful and painful to watch.  What was the point of it?  Who would even be interested in this episode?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

adietler

[2]May 12, 2007
    • level: 2
    I thought it was one of the better episodes this season, all though I do think this season has been a little scatter brained in it's coverage of subjects.

How could you not agree with there distaste for blind patriotism?

LMH68

[3]May 12, 2007
    • level: 57
    From a 'soul-less' European, I thought this was a fascinating episode. Over here, we think more in terms of Nationalism than Patriotism, but it amounts to much the same thing.

I was quite worried at first, watching all those clips of people signing those petitions, but was relieved to find they weren't the majority!

Though I didn't know any of that Mount Rushmore history, it was fascinating and enlightening.

optimumacid

[4]May 13, 2007
    • level: 4
    I don't know why I hated this episode so much. I watched lots of episodes that didn't appeal to me, but I always watched the whole thing and watched it for the knowledge. I agree that the Mt Rushmore history was interesting, but the rest I could have lived without. The petitions were stupid and uninteresting and the episode in general wasn't very funny like normal. Actually thinking about it, I believe I know the problem... ALL of the other episodes had stuff that was debated in an obvious way, like for/against recycling, but this was just "hey look at the stupid people signing away their freedoms" o_O  Oh and also, they said this stuff before, you know, don't sign away your freedoms and if there isn't a law don't make one before... this seemed like a filler episode.
    Edited on 05/13/2007 9:15am

Canucksrock23

[5]May 13, 2007
    • level: 1
    I have to agree with optimumacid. Normally I love this show, but this one was rather distasteful. Im not talking about Mt. Rushmore, but the patriotic theme. I found the slandering of Iran was lurid and unnecessary...Not to mention the fact that they tried to make a connection between Iran and wearing burqas which is incredibly ignorant (considering women in that society wear scarfs over their hair-NOT burqas!); they showed absolutely no knowledge of that society! I'm not Iranian, but I don't see any problem in Iranians being proud of where they are from or having an intense love for their country (in other words, patriotic). This episode pushed egocentricity to the point that made me want to puke.

Steve-Ooooo

[6]May 17, 2007
    • level: 12
    the whole point of the show is that the truth is more important then pc bs.   they were saying that iran grants little true freedoms to their people and such, and using the burqa as a way to symbolise this lack of freedoms (not to mention the attitudes towards women in general).  i hate it when people say they like this show, then get mad at something that is not 100% accuarate or PC in one episode.

Canucksrock23

[7]May 20, 2007
    • level: 1

Well regardless of what YOU like has no bearing on my feelings.  In every episode the point of their show is to prove something that is widely excepted.  But, to maintain credibility they should check their facts...I don't mind them being offensive; however, perhaps the ethnocentric and absolutely FALSE viewpoints are not necessary.  They could have easily referenced pre-war afghanistan and the burqa...but to reference something that is not true and to demean an entire country and put down a whole religion is (I find) beyond necessary to get the rather weak point across. 

I, for the most part, love this show.  But I check the facts before I blindly believe everything they say...that's what smart people do.  And I refuse to get on the anti-Iran/anti-Islamic bandwagon occuring in America right now.   I hardly get shocked or offended easily, but that being said, the point of this show is to change your mindset and I'd hate to think that it changes people to hate the Muslim religion because they see it as strange or different.  

Steve-Ooooo

[8]May 24, 2007
    • level: 12

they were not saying that you should hate Muslims... they were making the point that everyone should have guaranteed freedoms grated to them by their government and as a great way to symbolise this they had the lady danceing

also don't even try to say women in those countries are anywhere near equal or free... you can find stories complete with pictures of women who were stoned for dating members of other secs of Islam online for god's sake...

Edited on 05/24/2007 10:32pm