Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

Should be required viewing in high school.

cyyto_degaunt

[1]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 5
    I'm just saying....
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lamdnjchem

[2]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 23
    I wouldn't be against it, but you KNOW some parent would be (like those ones in Marietta, Georgia from the Creationism episode.)

cyyto_degaunt

[3]Aug 19, 2008
    Tough loogie! That's the point. We need to protect children from those parents, even their own. I guarantee my children are going to grow up watching this series.

cyyto_degaunt

[4]Aug 19, 2008
    Unless they're like, "This show sucks! The big guy scares me! Waaaaa!!"

marvelfan89

[5]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 39
    I don't know about "required viewing" because 1) They are very bias in many episode and pose no objectivity. Even Penn said so two weeks ago on Fox's "Red Eye" 2) The should may not be taken seriously especially with all the swearing and stuff. I'd doubt it get beyond some school boards. 3) Many of the episodes wouldn't tell students what they already know. Bottom line you don't know a show like this because students should be allowed to believe what they want to believe. I like and dislike the show but in my opinion it's not at that level for essential viewing in a high school. If it does by a miracle get shown in a high school, a responsible teacher should tell the classroom that the views presented in the show don't represent eveveryone's view.
    Edited on 08/20/2008 4:30am
    Edited 2 total times.

hams_mac

[6]Aug 20, 2008
    They never say you're forced to believe this stuff. If someone doesn't know that they're free to believe whatever they want, then they must not have a brain anyway. I think it would be good because people really aren't exposed to the idea that all this bullspit could really be a load of bullspit. That's why so many people believe it. They just assume it's true because nobody explained to them that it's silly, or other people believe it. It's like the episode on Stranger Danger. We have all this stuff that's just assumed by society because society already accepts it as true.

marvelfan89

[7]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 39

They never say it, but that's the way it comes out in certain episodes making any objectivity laughable. Anyone with a brain with common sense nowadays has been exposed to this type of stuff since we are exposed to a lot more phonies and crap than ever before. There's news investigations all the time on this all the time on very reputable shows and even the local news. if you don't get it by a certain point you never will. Youths are a lot brighter than what we give them give credit so once again it be a waste of time. I was in a sixth grade classroom and with only a minimal amount of info the students were able to determine for example that George W. Bush is pretty much a liar and terrible president. Sometimes they P and T get the facts wrong themselves which renders their debunking of certain things meaningless. That alone renders unrequired viewing especially at the end as with the "Green" episode they still couldn't make up their minds. Anyways, shows like this have been around and if kids have any common sense or have good parents this show wouldn't be a necessity. Back again we are left to own our opinion.

Edited on 08/21/2008 4:26am