Penn & Teller: Bullshit! Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

What the...? Season 7 DVD has Vatican Episode Missing.

Timewhisper

[1]May 14, 2010
    • level: 7

I will not buy this season of BS. Showtime's release of season 7 is missing the Vatican episode.

What happened to free speech?

Edited on 05/14/2010 7:50pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lamdnjchem

[2]May 21, 2010
    • level: 23
    If it means that much to you, not that you heard it from me...but there are ways to...."get"...that episode online. It might never hit DVD since Showtime is apparently disavowing all knowledge of the episode (by deleting it from the show's site). Rest assured though, it will remain here. Both because I'm a free speech supporter....and former Catholic turned Agnostic. But mostly the first reason.

Timewhisper

[3]May 22, 2010

It isn't even really that the episode was so great. It was good, and I agreed with it for the most part but wasn't one of the best. But even if it was an episode I disagreed with I couldn't buy the season of a show that is supposed to stand for freedom of speech when they bow to pressure from its detractors. Now they might start thinking twice about doing shows about religion because of fear they'll have to pull the episode from future DVD releases.

Edited on 05/22/2010 5:35am
    Edited 2 total times.

Otterpay1

[4]Aug 8, 2010

They have already said they won't do an episode on Muslims for fear of their lives. I don't blame them, with 1.5 billion Muslims in the world a "fatwa" is not something to take lightly. Blame the Catholic church not Showtime and not Penn and Teller for the DVD missing an episode though. If they want their show on a major network certain rules from on high have to be followed. In a perfect world they could say whatever they want and the rest of society would just accept it as an opinion. Unfortunately, some people can't handle contrary opinions, and cause **** storms when anything is said to shatter their narrow views. The Catholic Church is one of the wealthiest organizations in the world. They probably sent a letter to the network saying that if they don't distance themselves from this episode they would take them to court for slander and cost Showtime millions upon millions in legal fees. The threat of the church out weighed the financial gain of putting the episode on the DVD. If you really want to blame someone though, blame the millions of people who have financially supported the Catholic church for hundreds of years. Thanks to your monetary contributions the church is large enough to push around major TV networks. Personally I blame god, sure it started all innocent thousands of years ago when worshiping god was just worshiping the sun. But then people started personifying the sun and making up stories about it healing the sick, and being resurrected. Then some people realized they could use these stories to enslave people financially and emotionally. Ultimately making them rich enough to control politics for centuries, and causing the deaths of countless people in religiously motivated wars.

Timewhisper

[5]Aug 11, 2010
    The fact that they buckled under pressure and didn't air the episode sends a message that they can be pushed into doing what their detractors want.
    Maybe next time they won't write an episode because it offends a religion, or the right doesn't like it, or the left doesn't like it. What use it the show then?

lamdnjchem

[6]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 23
    I think we should be clear here in the use of the word "they". Penn and Teller, as has been established, are Atheists. THEY....did not buckle under the pressure. Why would they? When have they ever before? Now, Showtime maybe? That's a THEY I'd buy buckling. Or CBS DVD (no offense meant to the people who run this site, praise and glory to their name). But keep P&T themselves out of this, I'd wager, because I get the feeling they wouldn't have made the episode at all if it wasn't something they weren't willing to absolutely 100% put out on the air. I don't blame them for the episode not reaching DVD.

amarulucky

[7]Nov 19, 2010
    • level: 3

Shotime should definately show some f-ing balls and back Penn & Teller, free speech and the sho they put out there, on both the Vatican episode and on doing one on the Muslims, and really anything and everything that's BS. But the good news is you can still get the Vatican Episode, infact I have two copies on my pc right now (you gotta love P2P programs), and I've watched it so many times I'm almost sick of it. Soto all of those who think they are bigger than the constitution and free speech, ha!, think again!

Edited on 11/19/2010 9:50am