Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

Gun Control

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jun 27, 2005 on Showtime

• Remember at 21 feet or less a Knife can beat a gun. How big's your hallway?

Now the strength of this show is that it takes a stand, plain and simple. Which is admirable in today's world of spin. Wearing its loud and abrasive colours proudly. But the beauty in the show is that it makes you think. Are these the colours I'll rally to and salute? So Gun Control is Bulls**t! was a little surprising for me. It's the first time I've held firm on being the opposition to the shows opinion. In the past Penn & Teller have managed to sway me to their side with the witty and wry rhetoric that makes me laugh and think in equal part during a show. I feel there was a certain amount of hypocrisy in the arguments put forth to remove restrictions on gun ownership. From previous episodes of Bulls**t we have been shown that the Bible is BS and it's wrong for anyone to pick and choose what it's trying to say in the texts within. And yet here we are given the debates on how to read the 2nd Amendment. Further, in the Death Penalty is Bullsh**t it is shown that death is not working as a deterrent to crime. We also have the point pressed that every human life is valuable, criminal or not (here, here! I'm all for the human race) yet the point is clearly made that us normal people are kept safe by blowing away the bad guys, sometimes to save a life you've got to take a life it would seem. I maybe wrong, but I have been led to believe that the amendments to the Constitution of the United States are in place because at the time of writing the wise and powerful men of its construct were aware they did not have all the answers, but future generations may, and time would show that to remain safe, free, and strong political adaptation would be paramount to protect it's nations borders. Their work was at a time of violent turmoil, post conflict and conquest. It was essential the peoples of a nation protect themselves most homesteads would have had firearms for protection and for hunting. However sociological changes in the protection of oneself and country and the acquisition of food and land have become less turbulent surely lessening the need for guns with passage of time. We shouldn't feel the need to be fully armed in the safe haven of our homes. Now please do not misunderstand me. I am not anti-gun, but I would like to have seen Penn & Teller explore alternative personal protective devices and their effectiveness. And I more than realise that it's not legal gun control measures that need to be tightened for public safety but a crack down on illegal ownership. But Jackie Mason outlining for me how stupid people can be, only made me worry more about whether we should have IQ test ahead of buying/using any products, let alone weapons.
  • This episode really made me thing about gun control but I still can't decide which side of the fence I'm on.

I'm from New Zealand where crime is much lower that in the US. In NZ we have strong gun controls and no one carries guns. That includes the bad guys. The exception is gangs but they unually only shoot other gang members. A victim of a crime would say a gun would even the olds because most attackers only attack someone weaker then themselves. On the only side though I'd much rather be attacked by someone armed only with a fist then a gun. I'd still prefer a place where there's no guns to a place where most people haveguns.
  • Challenges ones views

I was surprised when I saw this episode. As a bit of a leftie myself I've always been in favor of gun control.

I've felt that the Constitution like ANY document could sometimes get out of date and that the second amendment is a PRIME example of that.

I was therefore surprised to find myself agreeing with Penn & Tellers defense of it. Its always a good thing when Television makes you think. Of course many of the people who most need to think will never give this episode a chance.
  • I say "out of character" in lack of a worse line to fill in. Usually i agree with the message they have to deliver, but this time i really don't.

I live in Norway, with something like 10 deaths by guns a year. Compared to the USA we live in a very peacful country. Not much violence going on, and very little on the news. This, I think, is reason enough to actually enforce a stricter gun control policy, but what do I know, right?

As they said in the beginning of the episode, it would be harder to find good crowds to welcome thi message. They were probably right about that.

But if you are someone that wants less gun control then you should whatch this episode. It has some good points in arguing against gun control, but none that I find could apply to a country like Norway.