Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

New Age Medicine

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jun 26, 2008 on Showtime

• Ought to be labeled "exactly why I rarely watch this show." Packed with bad logic and illogical arguments from a duo who claim to be avatars of reason and critical thinking.

I enjoyed last week's episode, and so let myself be drawn into this one, but I was reminded why I often found myself yelling at the screen while watching past episodes.

No, I'm not defending alternative medicine here; I think most of it is bunk. But once again Penn & Teller throw overboard all the "logic" and "reason" that they claim to be promoting in order to make cheap jokes and make people look silly. Sure, it's entertaining, and it's usually in a good cause, and if it were part of a comedy routine I'd be laughing right along with everyone.

But don't stand up there and claim to be debunking things in the name of reason and logic, and then spend 30 seconds saying that "chi" is an invalid concept because those letters appear in "Chihuahua" and "Chi-Chi Rodriguez". That's an insult to critical thinking, and P&T ought to know better. Also, they need to review the concept of an "ad hominem" argument, and why it goes against the sort of clear-thinking logic they claim to love so much.

The topless cheerleaders were nice, though.
SHOXE