Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

Reparations

Aired Monday 10:00 PM May 15, 2006 on Showtime

• P&T take on the rather sensitive topic of reparations

P&T take on what might be one of the most touchy issues they have addressed yet. The topic of reparations is one that in some circles is strongly entrenched in the racial divide that is still present in the US today. The look at reparations for African slavery, the defeat of the south, Native Americans and Japanese Americans. They make some pretty good points and while the show is as usual, obviously, slanted we get to hear from both sides of all the issues and their arguments.

P&T bring up some good classic arguments against forms of reparation. How, like in the case of slavery and Native Americans, it could be argued that the people actually owed reparations have been long dead for many years, but in other cases, such as the internment of Japanese American\'s during WWII, the people directly affected still live today and deserve some form of compensation. They also bring up the issue, through the individual opposed to slavery reparations, that it is more important to focus on our future and the unity of our people now, rather than to dwell on the past and continue to focus on issues that divide us. Not to say we should forget all the wrongs that happend, because we certainly must always remember history.

Although I have heard the arguments they presented a few times before, this was a pretty good episode and certainly worth while. Be prepared, however, if you are in favor of reparations that you might be a bit disappointed in their views, but I\'d say they do a fairly good job of trying not to offend anyone, outside of one or two moments.