Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

Talking to the Dead

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 24, 2003 on Showtime

• Notorious prankster magicians pull the pin on societal magicians and con artists

This first episode of what became a successful multi-series program is a good example of things to come. Penn the skeptical raconteur extraordinaire and his under-stated traditional magic scholar partner Teller pull no punches from the start. They admit that they themselves are purveyors of fine bullsh*t the difference being that they are upfront about it and do it to entertain, as opposed to the myriad of fear and emotion driven scams that are designed purely to remove people from their money. As such, this documentary style show comes packed with liberal helpings of ranting bias and comedic magical interludes to sugar coat the hard facts that are being thrown around. They also like to spotlight weirdos. This particular episode focuses on people who claim to communicate with the dead, targeting some reknown tv psychics and tipping the hat to Harry Houdini along the way. Very entertaining viewing if you like your info-tainment with a healthy dose of liberal skepticism. Whether you agree or disagree, they sure are amusing.
  • Good start, good explanation

This show is so different then what you would expect from Penn & Teller that they had to give a 5 minute introduction. You know when you are getting a 5 minute disclaimer that it is going to be a good show. ;)

This episode dealt with people who claim to have psychic abilities. Both Penn & Teller make you believe that they are all con-artists and explain how they are able to contact the dead. They can be very convincing.
  • A great start

I really enjoyed this episode. What can I say, I am a sucker for shows that reveal bullshit!

I particularly liked how one of the psychics was really working for "our" team, and does his sessions for entertainment and does not try to get people to believe he's for real.

If anything, this episode showed me how desparate some people are to believe a psychic, and it showed me how far someone will go to make a buck.
  • A nice start to the series.

A pretty good episode and gave you a good idea how the series was going to work. A bit more swearing them most things they work on but that explained since it is due to legal concerns. Anyway I am a skeptic at heart and I love Penn and Teller and I was not dissapointed. The most important part that they talked about was how evil these psychics can be on how they manipulate your memories of dead loved ones. I just thought it was a joke what they were doing and people are just too stupid to figure that out. But I really understand now how evil it is to have a person take advantage of you at a low point in you life to make a buck and mess with the only true thing you have left and that is the good memories of a lost loved one. Glad I got the dvd set, this is going to be a great series, not boring like some discovery or learning channel show...
SHO