A Penny Dreadful Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on Showtime

... It's not HBO, it's leftovers. Well, it will be The Leftovers. The cable network has ordered to series the latest project from Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof, the slightly supernatural drama The Leftovers. Based on the book by Tom Perrotta, The Leftovers follows what happens after the biblical Rapture takes all the righteous people away and leaves the Earth populated with everyone who didn't get called up to heaven. Specifically, the series will center on a group of people who must survive without their more devout loved ones. Liv Tyler, Justin Theroux, Christopher Eccleston, Amy Brenneman, Emily Meade, Michael Gaston, and Chris Zylka are all in the cast, and HBO has asked for 10 episodes. You should be happy about this news. [HBO via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... Last night's soul-crushing episode of Breaking Bad broke the series' ratings record now that the mainstream has finally gotten wind that this series is okay! 6.4 million viewers ended up in an awful mood and longed to hug Walter Jr., a big jump from the series' previous high of 5.9 million, as set during the Season 5B premiere. There are only two episodes of Breaking Bad left. Only two episodes. What will we do after that? [EW]

... This year's Emmy awards will pay extra-special respect to five television personalities we lost over the last year, with individual segments that will be presented by a host who was linked to the departed. Edie Falco will present for her Sopranos costar James Gandolfini, Michael J. Fox will present for Family Ties creator Gary David Goldberg, Jane Lynch will present for her Glee co-star Cory Monteith, Rob Reiner will present for his All in the Family cast member Jean Stapleton, and Robin Williams will present for his pal Jonathan Winters. The "In Memoriam" sequence will still run as usual. The Emmys will be air Sunday, September 22 on CBS. [Emmys via press release]

... And on the lighter side of things, truTV has ordered a second season of Killer Karaoke, which features contestants singing their favorite hits while enduring various and often painful obstacles. New episodes will drop in 2014. [truTV via press release]

... The CW has a get! The network will broadcast the Critics' Choice Movie Awards and the Critics' Choice Television Awards starting next year. This will be the first time the awards have been broadcast in primetime. Don't worry, if I get invited this year I promise to streak. [The CW via press release]

... Rizzoli & Isles needs a new showrunner. Janet Tamaro has opted to leave her post at the TNT hit at the conclusion of Season 4. Tamaro made the decision to try new creative projects and cited the recent suicide of Rizzoli & Isles actor Lee Thompson Young as a catalyst to examine her future. Best of luck, Janet. [Variety]

... Oh my gosh! The Emmys were held this past weekend! Well, the Creative Arts Emmys. Bob Newhart took home his first Emmy (first!?) as a guest-star on The Big Bang Theory but don't be fooled, he deserved like 20 for The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart. HBO's movie Behind the Candelabra dominated its genre, winning eight of the nine awards it was nominated for in various categories such as makeup, costuming, hairstyling (obviously), cinematography, and prosthetics (Rob Lowe's face in that movie deserved its own award). Carrie Preston won an Emmy for her guest role on The Good Wife, Scandal's Dan Bucatinsky also won a Guestie, and Melissa Leo took one home for giving Louie a blowjob in LouieSouth Park won for Best Animated Series, Undercover Boss repeated for Best Reality Series, and Project Runway's Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn also won awards for being hosts with the mosts. And because I have to, Revolution won an Emmy for Outstanding Stunt Coordination. I hope it was for one of those times Charlie got punched. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Former Awkward. showrunner and creator Lauren Iungerich has received a put pilot commitment for Bitch off the Ol' Block, a comedy about a woman who is reunited with her teenage daughter. The daughter turns out to be a smart-assed version of the mother and moves in with the mother and her roommates, who all raise her. Another twist on the family member moving in at an inopportune time! [Deadline Hollywood]

... After fiddling with a bunch of numbers and polling DVRs all over the country, FX has concluded that the Season 6 premiere of Sons of Anarchy has become the most-watched FX broadcast of all time. So far, it's accumulated 8.32 million viewers. It's a good thing that it's doing well, too. Otherwise, FX had to say Anger Management was the most-watched telecast in the network's history, and that's not something one would like to admit. [FX via email]

... Enlightened creator and star Mike White has a new project cookin' at NBC. And soon you will see why I used the word "cookin'" and then you will say, "Tim, you sly dog you." See, the show is about a young 16-year-old chef prodigy who works in a kitchen with his temperamental idol! NBC has given White's project a put pilot commitment. As a big fan of White's work, I can't wait to eat up what he serves. Ha ha! Okay, time to go on Last Comic Standing. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... The Walking Dead will add Christian Serratos to play the character Rosita Espinosa, who appeared in the comics, for Season 4. The casting announcement says she'll recur in Season 4 with the option to become a regular in Season 5, so I like her chances to survive! If you are a girl between the ages of 11 and 17, then you know Serratos as Bella's best friend from the Twilight movies. [Deadline Hollywood]

... ABC's upcoming Once Upon a Time in Wonderland has found its voice for the Caterpillar. Veteran punk rocker Iggy Pop of The Stooges will speak for the drug-huffing butterfly worm. Other voices in the cast include John Lithgow for the White Rabbit and Keith David for the Cheshire Cat. Iggy takes over the job from fellow musician Roger Daltry, who lent his voice to the Caterpillar when Once Upon a Time used the character. [EW]

... Billie Piper and Helen McCrory have been cast in Showtime's Penny Dreadful. The eight-episode horror series follows several characters from literature, including Dr. Frankenstein and Dorian Grey, as they sit on the fringes of society in old London. Piper (Secret Diary of a Call Girl) will play an Irish immigrant trying to escape her past, and McRory (Harry Potter) will be a "spiritualist." Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton, and Eva Green are also involved in the show. Look for Penny Dreadful in 2014. [Showtime via press release]

... NBC's live production of The Sound of Music has added three new cast members, and it's plucking them right off the stage. Tony winners Audra McDonald (A Raisin in the Sun), Laura Benanti (The Playboy Club), and Christian Borle (Smash) have all signed on for the December 5 experiment. Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer were previously announced as the leads, Maria and Georg Von Trapp. I repeat, this thing will be LIVE! [NBC via press release]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/29/2014

Season 1 : Episode 8

47 Comments
Follow this Show
Members