A Penny Dreadful Community
Showtime (ended 2016)

If you're a fan of sexy butt shots from Victorian London, wacky freak-outs that occur around a séance table, and corpses stitched together only to be ripped apart in a waterfall of meat pieces, congrats! Showtime has ordered a second season of its supernatural lollapalooza Penny Dreadful, just four episodes into the series' maiden outing. And Season 2 will feature even more monster-mashing, as the episode count has been upped by two for a total of 10.

Showtime used its official renewal announcement to tout a bunch of odd premium-cable statistics for Penny Dreadful's performance so far. According to the network, the series boasts an average of 4.8 million viewers across all platforms (TV, browser streaming, mobile phone streaming, peeking in someone's windows) and is the most-watched new show on Showtime Anytime, the streaming service that Showtime launched in 2010, which basically means that Penny Dreadful has done better than Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex

I'm an episode behind, but from what I've seen so far, Penny Dreadful is... weird. Its formula of combining some of classic literature's famous monsters and creeps (Frankenstein and his monster, Dorian Grey, vampires, Jack the Ripper maybe) keeps the show chugging along, but some storylines stand out from others for me. I LOVED Proteus, for example, but haven't really clicked with gun-slinging Josh Hartnett or the vampires. Still, despite not loving Penny Dreadful so far, I have an odd addiction to the show and can't wait to watch each episode. 

Of course, that could be in large part due to Eva Green, because she's the bee's knees.

What do YOU think? And which monsters would you like to see added to Season 2? Dracula? The Wolfman? RoboCop? Smurfs? Mario Lopez? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 9

114 Comments
Comments (114)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This show is perfect and Eva Green is perfect...it's ridiculous.
Flag
Great news! This has been the most unusual show I've seen in a while, but it has been fun.
Flag
Oh this just keeps getting better and better!! Mr. Chandler somehow has the words to exorcise the demon from our Penny . Who can't see the plan divine or other that places him in London in time to save her. Eva Green (who is just amazing to watch) her face is so beautiful and the range of expression she possesses is awesome!! The best show going!!
Flag
wow super episode!
A touch of pathetic, Victor playing jealous, some self esteem issues and then this ending. I totally didn't see this coming. Well I could see some violent outburst after Ethan's dramatic memory flow absinthe induced and topped by Wagner.. Something like shouting, screaming for Brona or punching dear Dorian repeatedly..I found this unexpected and peculiar even because they showed it in a sweet way too, ( well at the end).
Flag
I don't know which Sunday night horror is better because both have had exceptionally solid freshman seasons - 'Penny Dreadful' or 'Salem'? Both are crazy in a good way. Still slightly tipping in favor of 'Salem' because that story is moving a little faster, making a tad more sense amidst the lunacy, and I'm hearting Janet Montgomery, Ashley Madekwe, Shane West, Seth Gabel, Xander Berkely, Tamzin Merchant, Elise Eberle, now adding Stephen Lang as Increase Mather etc etc etc.. Both of these shows are batsh!t fun on a Sunday night.

Bringing Sunday back to Satan one show at a time ;)

Oh come on ......lighten up....:)
Flag
More Eva Green! Yes!
Flag
I will start by saying I like J. HARTNETT. He did great horror films the Faculty, H20, & 30 days, and even his recent flop Banraku. I for one was seriously turned off by last week's latest creature addition Dorian Grey. I literally said WTF as (SPOILER ALERT) Josh Hartnett started making out with dude. I could really get into his character until he became a bi-curiouse hoe! I dont care they tricked me into rooting for the gay guy, the part that pisses me off is that our hero is gonna be B.J. giving little bitch of the bad guy! I will give this show just one more ep. To win me back. Josh should of never turned down the parts of playing Spider-Man, or the next Batman, at least he wouldn't have to kiss some dude to pay his bills.
Flag
I think the point was that Dorian is suppose to be incredibly seductive and bewitching.
Flag
I guess today's audiences aren't more open-minded after all. Silly me.

Hartnett's gay scene was clumsy, forced, and sterile, but the homosexuality of it didnt bother me.
Flag
Great news. Penny Dreadful is a great show.
Flag
Hey - how about this for a Friday night line-up... we start off with Grimm (cos the kiddies need a bed story)... then we kick onto Sleepy Hollow cos we're trying to decide whether to hit the town or stay in and we need a distraction... and then we cap it with Penny Dreadful cos, well, we decide 'who wants to sleep on a Friday night'... and while we're wandering the bars with a couple of drinks we're looking at everyone else and... the night just doesn't seem so ordinary... time to shamble home and lie in our beds... nice and safe... and then looking up at the ceiling we remember Mama in Episode 1 Season 1 of Supernatural... sleep tight my pretties ;-)

Flag
This show is simply... awesome.

Every single week, you go "WTF?", trying to find a explanation to the coo coo-bananas stuff you just watch, all giddy about it!

Hell, something happen on the last episode that, if you told me, at the start of the series, could occured, I would have seriously say "C'mon... there's no way what's-his-name would be cool about it!" Yet... there it was! And, frankly, of all the supernatural shows on television, this one actually has spooky moment.

Alright, wild but probably very accurate guess: Josh Harnett's character is a Wolfman.
Flag
This show sucks!! BADLY!!! And I'm really concerned for you all , if you like it.. I thought TV couldn't get worse after Sleepy Hollow but hey.. Everyone gets it wrong once or twice, right?! :)
The fact that you all like it tells me that TV has gotten so bad.. So, so bad.. We now even like the shows that make no sense just because they're "weird"..
Weird isn't alway good.. Lost was weird.. Good weird! But this? This ist just.. Sad..
Flag
Yes, well done for being utterly wrong. SLEEPY HOLLOW is a brilliant show and so is PENNY DREADFUL. Both know exactly where they are going whereas LOST was making it up as it went along and in the end totally LOST it. (See what i did there). LOST's ending was almost as bad as the US version of LIFE ON MARS and that's saying something. Now, as a professional writer I have the sense to say all the proceeding is just my opinion. I suggest you adopt this handy phrase because that's all your post was too but pronouncing it as though it was the word of God makes you look very immature.
Flag
Sleepy hollow is awesome. Penny Dreadful recently had an attack of multiple personality disorder and now its having an identity crisis. needs to return focus to the core cast, and main storyline.
Flag
I agree the last episode passed by as though in an opium dream and very little seemed to happen. As the other episodes have been rather awesome I'll cut it some slack and assume it was setting up something for the final four episodes in this season but it's hard right now to see what that is.
Flag
I certainly have no clue... After watching last episode I guess anything can happen. Anyone can happen.
Flag
I like this show BECAUSE it is 'weird'. That is part of what makes it standout. You may not always like the characters; but forgetting them is unlikely.

Showtime made a good decision in this instance. This is MUCH better than Ray Donovan OR Shameless (that show makes me cringe).
Flag
I'm a bit torn on the show, but Tim, if you're torn on Holloway's character at the moment, you won't be long. I'm quite sure they're going to pit him as "The American Werewolf in London". There's far too much evidence that he's a lycanthrope, including him running away from home, the wolfs sensing his dominance and backing off the group (episode 3?), his panic attack in the last episode (where you saw a wolf of all things), etc.

The other parts of the show are pretty good as well. I admit I was sad to see Proteus go, but so far Frank's 'first born' has done a pretty stellar job filling in. The lights in the theatre are most certainly not lime-lights, and no theatre would be that well lit in that time period to begin with without a bunch of tallow dripping onto people and smoke filling the room, but hey.
Flag
I think you mean Harnett
Flag
My bad. Thanks for correcting me.
Flag
Actually he means Josh Holloway.
Flag
I know, Josh Holloway isn't in this show Josh Harnett is.
Flag
I was just kidding.
Flag
Good news.
Flag
YES!!! Finally, some did something right by giving Penny Dreadful a second season and a slightly longer one at that. It would be good to see Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde and the classic penny dreadful creation, Varnae the Vampire. There's also the Invisible Man and I wouldn't mind if a Martian or a Morlock accidentally found their way into Victorian London. Finally, there's also urban legends such as Springheeled Jack that came out of that period.
Flag
well what about seeing billie piper nude?!?!?! thats a very important thing, and im not sure all of dr who fans know of this show.....lol
Flag
You mean Billie's body double? No skin from her since she had a child. She was using body doubles in Secret Diary of a Call Girl while pregnant and after. Before her pregnancy she frequently dropped trou in Secret Diary.
Flag
bloody hell i had no idea she even had a kid, damn where the hell have i been? lol yeah i was thinking body double as well, sigh, ah well lol
Flag
Yep, way too much time on my hands.
Flag
There's still lots of room for Jekyll and Hyde, various characters from Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G.Wells or Jules Verne, and maybe even a Werewolf of London, especially after that scene at the zoo (Josh Hartnett might have a dirty little secret that could make him a more interesting character in the future). I'd mention the Phantom of the Opera, but they already seem to have done a mash-up of that in the Creature, Caliban's, back story. I think they can keep milking this for a while still, and maybe even bring in some steampunk elements if they run out of other ideas. No sign of that happening yet though.
Flag
If Doctor Jekyll appears it will be even more LXGish. I so wanted them to pursue Mina's rescue as it were. Next thing I knew, Dorian Grey popped in and started a bombardment of red herrings.
Flag
They are kind of playing in the same sandbox as LXG, but as long as they focus on the more macabre and gruesome elements, they should be able to stand apart. I also like the way they mix and match familiar monster memes we've become used to. The Frankenstein's Monster/Phantom of the Opera overlap I mentioned above is just one. There's also the Mummy/Vampire melding, which actually makes a lot of sense as an origin story. They aren't afraid to mess with the old tropes and turn them on their heads occasionally.
Flag
Well I am glad...I don't love this show but I do like it a lot. All the creep is awesome. And I love gun slinging werewolf Hartnet in this...All the old time monsters are good. I am really liking the pace of the stories inside a story. Very good acting and the visuals are rich and well done. Good show.
Flag
I'll compare this show to Sons of Anarchy, in that I recommend it to everyone I know. You literally cannot predict what happens next, and most episodes end with an emphatic "whaaaa" and a selfie of the viewer with mouth agape.

I'm not sure how many more true "monsters" could be brought into season two, we've technically already have two Frankenstein monsters, with a promised bride on the way! Maybe a "psychological monster" with a blue beard who imprisons his wife in his house and makes her promise to keep the doors locked? Or maybe Lucifer could show up disguised as a Moor? Jekyll and Hyde as serial killer twins?!?!

Dinosaurs could be cool too.
Flag
Lucifer and Bluebeard are fairy tale characters - their place is in OUAT.
Flag
Here again with this reviewer... It's a great series. Don't pay attention to what he say. You'll love it. It's imaginative, sublime and has a constant vibe of mystery to it that make it fascinating. Even with just 4 episodes in, it's obvious this Series with Showtime is going to be a big success.
Flag
Thanks. I'll give it a shot!
Flag
Tim Surette is an idiot and TV.com would be much better without him.
Flag
Tim Surette is a fan and a critic and he does what fan/critics do. He gives you his take and he isnt shy about it. He gets people talking about these characters & shows. We all watch these shows and different things appeal to us as individuals. No series was ever killed based on a single viewer's opinion, so no need to insult him.
Flag
This is something that has been going on for a LONG time.

You may want to get your facts straight before weighing in.
Flag
''my issue'' was with the person to whom I originally replied. the person who called him an idiot. you seem to be reading my comments without paying enough attention to whats being expressed, and to whom.

If I didnt already say it, have a good one.
Flag
Sweetheart, if he can't take criticism (which isn't personal), then he's in the wrong business.

As for what your issue is, I can only guess. We simply disagree with him. Deal with it.
Flag
I bet Tim's been himself for as long as he can remember.
He should be able to speak without being personally insulted. He doesnt have to like what I like, or submit his commentary for my approval. We can disagree with someone without insulting them.

When I watch a show, It's not because of what some dude on a website says. Series swim or sink on their own merits.

Sometimes we agree, sometime we don't, but I respect his right to an opinion, as I respect yours. Even when we disagree. Even if we always disagree. Have a good one.
Flag
That's a bit harsh though Tim is way off the mark on this show his GoT reviews are awesome and something I look forward to after every episode. It's only his opinion and as a reviewer isn't that his job?
Flag
Yes, that is his job. I'm just saying TV.com would be better if that wasn't his job. He's way off the mark a lot more than he is on it.
Flag
I've made the SAME exact point a few times with other series' reviews. Tim may be good at something, but it isn't writing reviews here. He's very out of place... I'm surprised TV.com has kept him on this long... Are they a serious TV Review Website or what??

There are tons of other talent out there.
Flag
I find myself nodding and smiling and feeling understood every single time I read one of his reviews, so he's right on the money as far as my brain is concerned. I have to admit that I do have a thing for smart, charming and funny though, that might not be for everyone. ;)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Great news. Bits of it are hit n miss but that's got to be expected as it's daring to mix highly written about characters. The stranger it dares to get the more I like it - and crosses the streams!
Flag
eva has never looked so beautiful :)
Flag
Only vampire show worth watching, all the rest are just Dynasty/Dallas etc. ripoffs that suck blood!
But this show is weirdly cool!
Flag
Eva Green is the only reason I keep watching... the show makes no sense. Plus, there isn't all that much to watch now that we've entered summer.
Flag
This is good news. I like shows where everyone has sex with everyone.
Flag
LOL.
Flag
The pilot was ok, not great, but made me want to keep watching still. But I really loved episode 2, the possession scene was amazing, Eva Green is mesmerising. And episode 3 was stollen by Reeve Carney's ass.

I loved that they dared to kill Proteus after making us love him. I don't really care for Josh Hartnett character yet, a cowboy with daddy issues can't really compete with all those great characters from literature. I have to say I'm surprise but I really love that show, happy we get a second season, and that it's only 10 episodes, less chance of getting filler ones.
Flag
Hartnett's Chandler is a total ripoff of Shane West's LXG character Tom Sawyer.
The more I think about it, the more I realize, this is just a re-skinning of LXG.
Flag
You're not wrong. But this has much better production values etc. Although I didn't find the movie to be too bad in concept. I used to speak with a chap who was/is a digital editor and worked on the film. He admitted that'd been rushed for both time and cash. Shame.
Flag
PD has excellent production values for a tv show. It's sets, ceature effects and wardrobe is all very nice.
I didnt dislike LXG. As far as production, I thought work in some scenes was better than others. I realize its difficult and costly to bring together a group of characters, all requiring custom special fx. Some of its cgi was very impressive.
Flag
LXG was a mess of a screenplay, though - was a big-ass 'TOLD YOU SO!' moment for Alan Moore.
Flag
Such a great show! so happy it got renewed
Flag
Could be cool if they bring the time traveler and his iconic Victorian time-traveling device. And Sir Malcom can fetch some taduki from Africa also...
Flag
The show is brilliant. I'm so glad it's already been renewed.

Why the boo? Do you mean "boo yeah", or "boo, run along wankers"?
Flag
To be honest, since Salem and this show arrives almost at the same time and belongs to the same genre, the comparison is inevitable. I personally have enjoyed Salem more despite Salem lack of nudity.
Flag
Salem is utter wank - and not in a good way - IMO.
Flag
Sorry, I could follow the story in Salem but not here. To be fair, I only watched 1 episode here. I might try the second but its not encouraging to see many still not knowing what is going on after 4 episodes. I doubt I have that kind of patience.
Flag
I watched two eps of Salem. ..Wasnt drawn back, but that means very little. I may pick it up again.
Flag
I switched off the first episode half way through. I will probably force myself to finish watching the episode, just to be able to tell the friend who recommended it that I watched an episode. I doubt that I will watch any more of it after that.
Flag
I wasn't fond of the first episode either (other than the production design), but I loved the second like woah. After four episodes I think it's a great show, but definitely not for everyone. The pacing is odd at times, and sometimes excruciatingly slow. Personally I think it's strange structure adds to it's charms, but I can see how someone else might be like "wth is going on?" or as Milhouse put it:

"When do we get to the fireworks factory?" :p

Flag
I had not been back since episode 1 too which is a pity since I like Josh Hartnett and Eva Green.
Flag
The only ep I've found disappointing is #4. I liked one and two.

Between the loyal following of Supernatural and the craze over Sleepy Hollow, we're bound to see more spookey mashup stuff.
It can't all be good.
Flag
So happy! I like weird;-)
Flag
Weird show and weird feelings. Every episode I think about dropping it but I still come back to see what they've come up again.

Next season I expect characters who featured in 'Under the Dome' and in 'Helix'.
Flag
PD is ok. Its too much like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and what the hell do they need a Dorian Grey for anyway? What the hell has he ever done besides avoid looking at a portrait? Consumption Queen freaks for no reason whatsoever, cut to gratuitous male on male foreplay. Add all the other things I failed to mention and you get motion sickness, or epileptic seizure. I was ok until the addition of Grey. I'm not sure who the black guy is. PD is trying to do a little too much.
Flag
Agree. what the heck was that between Grey and Hartnett? Dead on about the girl freaking out for no reason. I can't deal with the weird random shit happening for no reason. There needs to be more of a steady story not random odd events happening with no connection.

Flag
She didn't freak out for no reason. There was soooo much going on in that scene between the four of them. First the chemistry and easy conversation between Ethan and Vanessa. Plus she was embarrassed because she had slept with Dorian for money, and she felt uncomfortable in the presence of what she considers "proper" ladies and gentlemen. She is clearly dealing with issues of self worth and abandonment, and so freaked out on Ethan so she could "dump him" before he dumped her.
Flag
Yep, that's the same feeling I had about that scene. I understood completely where it came from. Being next to dead does not give you that much self confidence at all.
Flag
Steady Story For The Win!
Flag
Your first two sentences are exactly how I feel about it. I think this show takes itself way too seriously, and while I like the main actors, I just wish they were given more to do than stand there and deliver pointless monologues. We're 4 episodes in, and not much has happened yet. I know it's meant to be a "slow burn" but damn.
Flag
I like Penny Dreadful despite the weirdness... though this recent episode, at the end was odd but... I'm curious to see more. I'm happy this got renewed!
Flag
Penny Dreadful make weird look good again!
Flag
Great show, weird and very entertaining! I'm happy!
Flag
I expected a lot more with all that star power. I'm surprised they think its worth the budget to do another season.
Flag
Did you read the part about the numbers? 4.8 million viewers. That's what we like to call... bank. :)
Flag
They need to narrow the focus. I hope some of those kidnapped vagrants are written out and back into the played-out tales from whence they came.
Flag
Fantastic. More Eva Green is always welcomed.
Flag
Dracula? The Wolfman? Catch up, Tim, they're already there.

I like this show a lot. It's like they have taken that terrible league of extraordinary gentlemen film, and remade it much better.

Eva Green should be in everything
Flag
Dracula's there'. I guess Chandler is some kind of lycan. Not sure
Flag
this just made my day
Flag
What mekare06 said! Best news ever! Penny Dreadful is a show you can't predict and takes a lot of liberties in relation to canon horror characters... And the vampires are not the fluffy sparkly type but proper monsters...
Flag
The vampires certainly are more akin to Max Shrek than Stuart Townsend.
Thats a good think because that ''proper-lad" Teslarian-Dracula is a limp noodle.
Flag
"What do YOU think? And which monsters would you like to see added to Season 2? Dracula? The Wolfman? RoboCop? Smurfs? Mario Lopez?"
Two of those are already in the show... But to answer the question, adding a few Smurfs couldn't hurt.
Flag
YES!!! Excellent news!
Flag
I agree with you. The show is weird, but in my mind not in a completely satisfying way. In fact, I've expected so much more from it. I was willing to overlook the lack of solid direction in the pilot, because it was the pilot. But now after four episodes, I still don't understand what the show is about. It still hasn't really gotten going. Characters have been introduced, but nothing has been really revealed about them. The "horror" scenes are just like short interludes between people meeting each other. And when characters meet, their discussions are meaningless and add very little to the story. The interactions between people are only superficially meaningful, but in the end you realize there's no content in the encounters that would move the story forward.

Because of this both the dialogue and the spooky scenes of the show are lacking. Some shows that are highly action packed manage to put content in quieter scenes. For example GoT can pull off a scene where Tyrion and Jaime just talk in a prison dungeon, because the discussion has meaning. But PD has so far had several discussions like that without purpose. The show needs make things start happening soon.

I could pick several examples to highlight this, and just from the last episode. For example, the lengthy discussion Dorian and Vanessa had at the botanical garden didn't in the end do anything to move the story forward. And there's a lot of this in the show. I might sound very harsh towards PD, but the reason is that the show has so much potential. It should be a show about horror and mystery, but so far it has showed so little of that. It fills its episodes with scenes like the one in which Frankenstein's Creature does the special effects for a play. A show like American Horror Story, and even True Blood, would spend its time more wisely.
More+
Flag
I can sort of understand some of your frustration, but Penny Dreadful is not attempting to be a traditional sort of drama. Much like the books that the characters are from, there is a strong element of mystery here that makes it difficult to compare it to something like GoT. We're only 4 episodes into PD, you can't expect for all the cards to have been laid on the table.

It's funny that you pick the botanical garden scene as one that you didn't think moved the story forward. I thought that was one of the scenes this week that was the least subtle in what it was trying to do, especially with what happened at the end of the episode. Last week Dorian came on to Vanessa hard, and while she definitely seemed affected by it, it wasn't till she saw him coming out of the church and followed him to the garden that we (the viewer) realized how much. Her description of the flower was an extremely unsubtle way of letting him know that she was drawn to him. ("touch me with your finger") We saw it, and Dorian saw it, that's why he casually dropped that remark about going to the theatre that evening. He is delighting in the chase. But on the flip side of this, Dorian is also very used to the chase, while there is something about Vanessa that he is fascinated by, her attraction to him is something that he has experienced time and time again. That's why it pleased him to make a play for something less attainable : Ethan. Dorian is a brilliant actor, he told us as much when he admitted that he was pretending to be human. He made himself seem vulnerable because he sensed that was what Ethan wanted/needed. He was a completely different person than the aggressor he was with Brona, and the seducer he was with Vanessa. As he becomes more connected to this group there is a bigger chance of his immortal (and therefore quite handy) butt being on board when the showdown with Dracula takes place.

Though some of the dialogue on this show can be painfully on the nose, I find all the scenes layered with so much character depth, that I can over look it, (mostly). Unlike True Blood or American Horror story, Penny Dreadful is more concerned with creating 3 dimensional characters (except Sembene... poor Sembene) than the actual horror.

If you think about the concept of Smallville, we know the story of Supes. We know where we end up. That show was about how we got there (at least it wanted to be in the beginning).

Similarly we know the action points of Frankenstein, Dracula, Dorian Gray, The Curious Case of Jekyl and Hyde, PD is taking a closer look at the characters from these novels and examining their natures and weaving a mystery that links them together.
More +
Flag
I have some concerns too. I realize we know little about the characters, but so far I think this is on purpose. Like we are supposed to go on the ride sort of blind-folded. Which is somehow scarier. Then they use these big surprise factors to reveal important facts about every character. It seems we will get to know them this way. It is a risky formula, but the gore factor alone will keep people hooked (*sigh*) so I guess they can do whatever they want with us anyways.
Flag
Didn't think much of the gun-slinging character myself until this 4th episode... weird is a good word to define the show. Simple, direct.
Flag
Excellent news for me because I enjoy the show very much... and excellent news for the European actors/actresses LOL
Flag
Thank the heavens! or...I don't know...the Underworld...or what...
Flag
Yeah!!!
Flag
Whoohooo and *squee! A lot!!
Flag
I am really excited! I do hope that a second season won't lead to an overload of stories that don't really mash well together. I hope they keep it at the pace it is at now.
Flag
YAY!!! Season 2 of Penny Dreadful means more Eva Green, Timothy Dalton and Billie Piper. I'm so happy right now :)
Flag
Look at you, thinking everyone will make it out of this season alive or otherwise physically intact.....
Flag
I am fairly sure Billie Piper's Brona will be toast or perhaps become Frankenstein's monster companion... Not a bad thing as that is one of the weakest characters ('acting' not helping either)
Flag
I agree - Brona will become the Bride of Frankenstein's Monster.
Flag
I don't have problem with her acting - but the freaking accent has to go - half the time I don't understand her.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
With any luck the musculature reanimation will make Billie Piper's acting, heck, even her accent much more believable. (Yes, she's an incredibly lovely looking girl, but God is her acting awful most of the time.)
Flag
So... which one do you think that won't be next season. Pretty sure Eva Green will be. And at least pieces of the other 2 :o)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members