A Penny Dreadful Community
Showtime (ended 2016)

The episode starts with Dorian having an ordinary day with random naked people partying in his house.

He doesn't even look slightly interested in what's going on around him and when the party's over he seems displeased with how messy the place is.

We sense (we know) that something isn't quite right with Dorian. (And if you don't know what is wrong with him maybe you shouldn't keep reading because there will be spoilers)

The show has managed to surprise us so far but for now we assume the show Dorian is also suffering from the same condition as his book counterpart: he is living as an immortal with his soul trapped in a painting.

We don't see the painting but his expression says enough.

Later we see Vanessa sitting in front of a church where a young girl named Lucy comes up and they have a weird conversation involving Lucy's dead mother and that she won't stay in the ground.
We freak out just like Vanessa who asks "Where will she go?"
and Lucy answers "To heaven"
...well that was a nice build up for nothing...?

Then we see Dorian and Vanessa follows him to see that he's having some private moments with several flowers.

(Yes, I'm voicing the flower.)

I don't blame the flower. We all have our weaknesses.

Dorian is happy to see Vanessa stalking him. He makes her smell the flowers.

Surprise: It's poisonous.

Vanessa is impressed with the amount of "useful" information he has.

They joke and flirt.

Then he shows her the Rothschild's Slipper Orchid that can take up to 15 years to bloom for a moment.

And it's poisonous. Or at least Dorian hopes so, because "it's beautiful". (I know... *sigh*)

Vanessa is visibly influenced by and drawn to Dorian.

In the meantime we have Victor and VAN HELSING study Fenton's blood in a very short scene.

Van Helsing tells Victor about "blood eating" but before they can discuss further, Victor is distracted by other things.

Victor hurries outside and scolds Caliban

Caliban reminds him of his request (a lady friend)

Needless to say, things get heated very quickly

Caliban reminds Victor what he's looking for in a life partner.
Victor decides to insult his immortal and incredibly strong creature because that's the smart thing to do.

Caliban tells him humans are merely "skin and air" and the future belongs to immortal race.

Yup, thank you for that Victor.

We see Brona and Ethan cuddling and bonding.

Brona shares some traumatic events from her past.

Ethan comforts her by telling her that he has terrible sins as well. By that we assume he's a werewolf or something that rips people apart. We still don't know. But it's comforting anyway.

Things seem to be getting serious with this couple.

In the Murray Residence Fenton is still obsessed with Vanessa.

Ethan is extremely bothered by their treatment of the young vampire

Victor tells Ethan to be the blood donor to heal Fenton of the "blood eating" disease but Ethan says that's a baaad idea.
They give him strange looks but he doesn't explain what he means and Malcolm Murray becomes the donor instead.

Later, Victor decides to cheer them up with the ripper/monster murder news.

But Ethan suddenly reacts VERY strongly and just throws the newspaper away.

Then they just go at it.

The scene gets better and better.

Ethan accuses Victor of basically being an arrogant, cold-blooded, soulless, horrible person and Victor insults his intelligence.

Malcolm Murray tells them there's enough tension in the house without theirs adding to it.
The best part is that when Vanessa shows up Victor actually complains about what Ethan said to her. (He's also jealous that Sir Malcolm would take Ethan with him to an adventure to Africa instead.)

Vanessa Ives: Possessed by an Ancient Egypt Goddess, part time counselor.
She quickly reminds Victor that he's valued for being cold-blooded.

Victor and Vanessa have this sibling vibe I am fond of. But you never know with this show.
You never know.

Our gang confronts Fenton.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-15h56m28s112
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-15h57m08s252
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-15h57m29s213
Victor and Sir Malcolm hilariously try to come up with a food solution.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-15h58m34s91
But then Sembene just shows up and takes care of it while they're talking. (not showing the cap because poor kitty)
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-15h58m58s75
Vanessa is once more exposed to Ethan's self-deprecating guilt.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-15h57m58s250
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-15h58m03s43
She is like "and you'll get over this when?" But I also feel that she appreciates his compassion.
Ethan takes Brona out to have some normal fun for once in her life.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-15h59m19s29
skfner
Surprisingly we see Caliban working in the theater even though I personally assumed that he'd killed the old man and the actress he liked and maybe burned down the theater.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h00m34s11
Brona is just as excited as he is and Ethan is excited for her.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h00m54s216
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h00m43s108
Back in the Murray's Sir Malcolm tells Victor he shouldn't be jealous of Ethan and that Victor reminds him of his son.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h01m42s183
ytuyhop
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h02m21s56
selkf
Though unexpected, the father and son love suddenly fills our hearts and we don't know what to do with ourselves.
Personally I had to make these:
ctyuıooooo
sdkgnıregehrt
(Don't ask me why.)

Then back at the theater Ethan adorably bought an orange for Brona (Can you imagine how annoying it would be at the theater those days though? Everyone loudly eating oranges with juice running down their necks? I'm glad I live in the modern day with popcorn chomping youth.)

avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h04m55s61

Ethan had heart eyes during the whole time. He was watching her reactions to every thing maybe because she gives him a sense of normalcy.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h06m10s50
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h07m19s219
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h06m31s251
skdnverrr
Then we saw Dorian enjoying the play by himself.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h07m57s91
dskgnreg
But then he sensed someone.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h08m06s183
sddfssdfdfd
He was visibly happy to see Vanessa. Maybe because their demons play well together.
sdfnerugr
dkfgnıreogr
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h09m18s129
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h09m20s151
Now, I know many people assume Ethan is a werewolf but he seemed disturbingly relaxed and happy about the play so maybe not?
bloods
Vanessa was very pleased with the production.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h09m42s121
sdkfnekrjger
For some reason Sembene was stalking/protecting Vanessa and he was deep in thought?
Also why don't they give this guy some backstory and more lines? I have a feeling he is a bamf.
Just keep him away from cats.
sdjfbrehjgbre
At the Murray Residence Victor and Sir Malcolm decided to check the creepy noises in the house.
Everything seemed normal.
avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h11m07s200
SDKFNEKRGNJREGE
They were shocked because they weren't expecting a visitor at that hour.
FAv
kjefnkrejngkre
Okay, I don't mean to be picky but please tell me that's not Dracula. I expected a well-spoken gentleman with not so many cracks on his face. But then again, I'm hard to please.

Sir Malcolm threw Fenton off his back and this heartbreaking moment took place.
sad

Olly Alexander's performance as the young vampire Fenton was remarkable. He will be missed.

Back at the theater Vanessa met Brona and Brona felt her self-esteem suddenly melt away.
kjgndfjkgnjkdf
Then Dorian showed up to make this awkward moment even more so.

sduıfhut
I expected him to tell everyone how they met considering how chill he is but Brona ignored him completely.
fdgnuır
Which amused Dorian and he was hilariously cheerful about this coincidence.
dıughuıger
dufhdıughdfıgd
Brona couldn't handle the pressure and left the theater with Ethan running after her. I'm gonna be serious for a moment here because they had a heartbreaking argument about Brona's illness and inevitable death as well as her insecurity about Ethan's obvious admiration of Vanessa. She also seemed to resent the fact that she was dying and who can blame her for that?
So she slapped Ethan (ouch) and told him they were done.
But her face didn't agree.
zjdhfbsdjhbfhdjsgs
What I realized in this scene was that even though Ethan cares for her, this is the moment Brona is reminding him that he can't actually save her. Maybe she's right and he's trying too hard.
sdhgbdjfhgbdfjg
Then Dorian came to check on his new buddy.
xcmnv xnmfgvd
Ethan watched his last hope for a normal human relationship walk away and hated himself for whatever he's done and for what he can't do.
dfgnkjgndfgjkd
That really spoke to Dorian on a spiritual level.
dkjgnfdfkgjsdkjfkdsg
Ethan asked him if Vanessa will be there.
dfkfkgfdgf
But Dorian said Vanessa loves herself so she can't join their secret club.
fdkkddg
I didn't understand why Dorian was so interested in Ethan other than the fact that he suddenly found self hatred really charming but you could actually see the moment he turned his charm on. (Which is always on but he turned the volume up basically)
He was like:
baby sdsdhdsdhjsds avlcsnap-2014-06-02-16h15m39s105

Read the rest of the recap here

You can follow me at @OzgeBurcakA for new recaps!
57 Comments
Comments (58)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Just wanted to say that "make me a pretty lady" has been making me giggle at least once a day since I first read this :)
Flag
this was amazing+ hilarious! can't wait to see more pic recaps!
Flag
thank you!
Flag
Best picture synapses ever! Keep doing these!
Flag
I think Ethan is a werewolf. His connection to the wolves at the zoo was telling and lets not forget that his wounds healed. He was cleaning bloody scratches on his face, but by the time he was done, he was completely healed. nothing human there.
Flag
Love your recap! Also loved the scene between Dorian and Ethan. So sexy, but also so bold. I hope to see more of that in future episodes. I wouldn't even mind a threesom, not triangle, but a mutual relationship between Dorian, Ethan and Vanessa.
Flag
Amazing recap, I really enjoyed you story more than the episode, you how to make funny... I can't wait your next one for the next episode. I gave you 10/10... Thanks
Flag
brilliant recap and also hilarious. The last scene took me by surprise but I love it
Flag
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it =)
Flag
I like this new gay Ethan I think its kindof hot slash cute YAY! gay love
Flag
This was so fun and detailed, the screen caption are hilarious.
Thank you for taking the time to do this!
A.
Flag
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.
Flag
The series lose it, even with the cheap sex, I still believed they survive. But sincerely wtf they want us to believe all man are gay now! No more friendship between men that it? sincerely this good series is becoming crap :(
Flag
Yes. Gay bad, we can have none of it on tv. You realize a guy kissing another guy doesn't make him gay right? Particularly when he seems to be in love with a woman? Funny how seeing two guys kiss suddenly makes the show "crap". And...they are not the only men on the show...the show is already portraying male friendship with other characters.
Flag
You DO know that Dorian Gray IS bisexual, right? And how does TWO men forming a sexual relationship equate to ALL men being gay? By comparison, there's not really many TV shows, out of ALL of the Tv shows on TV that even go there with the gayness. Especially not on a series mixed with horror, drama and other straight characters. Funny how these same people don't complain about the lesbian scene during the orgy or ANY lesbian scene ever, but soon as it's two dudes, here comes the bitching and homophobia. STFU, already.
Flag
ew your homophibia is showing
Flag
don't be a sour puss this show is awesome and of coruse all the guys arent gay
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Also, my impression by the end of the episode was that Vanessa is the daughter of Sir Malcolm, Mina and Vanessa are sisters....right?
Flag
Yes it should, I did understand it this way; but it wasn't so clear.
Flag
please oh please keep doing these! HILARIOUS =D

also, to no one in particular: why does caliban insist he is immortal and indestructible? isn't he flesh and blood like everyone else? in fact he's made up flesh that's been stitched together...doesn't that actually make him more fragile? he's made some pretty big assumptions about himself. did someone tell him these things? just wondering....
Flag
I agree - he killed Proteus, so he can be killed just as easily I'm sure. I think Caliban is just thinking he's immortal rather than actually being so. Of course Caliban being a villian in Shakespeare makes me think that, unlike his 'brother, Proteus, he will not be in anyway redeemable.....not even a little like Dorian, Victor and Ethan - all of whom seem to have a certain amount of regret, remorse and, dare I say it, humanity.

I also have a theory that the way Caliban came into being (screaming, crying, groaning and running around in pain) compared to the quiet and calm way Proteus appeared to come to life has some bearing on why the two people are/were so different.....but that is just a theory of mine though. :)
Flag
Sorry that should read "not even a little like Dorian, Victor and Ethan - all of whom seem to have a certain amount of regret, remorse and, dare I say it, humanity LEFT."
Flag
omg i agree and like wtf he killed victors other son proteus or whatever so pretty sure he can be killed as well ???
Flag
I'm pretty sure that Brona will become the Bride. All the pieces came together: the reappearance of the monster, Brona's introduction to the other main players, the increase in tension between Victor and Ethan and of course the hints of her imminent death. I don't think they showed her death this episode but I think the next episode will show she's dead and on Victor's table.
Flag
I noticed something in ethans fast forward memory visions: the little girl who was killed thorn apart along her mom. Maybe ethan is the serial killer but he kills in the shape of a wolf. His reaction to the murder news supports the idea and the way he looked near the murder scene. It was interesting why no one asked him how he calmed down the wolves at the zoo, Is it such a normal behavior? I dont thinks so.
Flag
nice catch about the little girl images. Ethan probably killed them wow
Flag
hilarious recap! love it;-) Thanks for all the laughs!
Another fabulous episode!
Flag
Great recap, OzgeB! You said though that Surprisingly we see Caliban working in the theater even though I personally assumed that he'd killed the old man and the actress he liked and maybe burned down the theater. No, that's not surprising. So far it's the only place where Caliban has been mostly accepted--behind the mask of theater--and where he's felt useful in the world. Didn't you see how much joy and fun he had skittering around the set in lowering backdrops, raising platforms, creating sound effects, and pumping the heroine full of a ridiculous amount of fake blood? He was like a kid in a candy shop--or was that more like a crazed terrier in a rat pit?

Of course he might run amok later and bring ruin upon the theater and the cast. I could see that happen.
Flag
The flowers & the hearts: dead on! ROFL!

The show is so well done, from the score, the acting, the writing, the cast... man!
Flag
i checked the time and i knew the episode was going to end soon nevertheless i got completely inmerse in the last scene to the point where i screamed at my tv because the episode was over. it was soo good i hope we get to see some action on next the next episode because it would be sad not checking out those very hot guys in this intimate scenario.
Flag
I can't watch the Billie Piper scenes, from her accent to her nudity scenes. All I can think is: Rose Tyler! You put those things away and start talking in a way that I can actually understand you.

I'm betting she becomes the Bride. How twisted would that be.

Vanessa is so far my favorite, I love every scene with her.

I'm absolutely not surprised by Dorian. Of course he seduced Ethan. I imagine Dorian would sleep with anything with a hole, breathing, or not.

I thought Ethan's fight was a parallel of the dog killing the rats. It was something that yes he was good at, but a life he was forced into. He's a killer, a monster, so his redemption was to try to save Brona, or at least make her happy. When she pointed out that he couldn't do that, he gave in to his darkness and gave in to Dorian.

Lastly... how the heck does watching a dog kill rats change you into a different person? That part was ridiculously lame.
Flag
Even though Vanessa pointed out to Ethan in the first episode that he would have been too young to have been in Custer's Last Stand, I have to think that Ethan's been in some sort of serious battles previously in the past. So seeing supposedly well-bred genteel people get their blood lust up over senseless violence sets off his PTSD like symptoms. But you're probably right about there being an element of him having been forced into that so there's a grief-stricken piece to this as well.
Flag
Yep, there's a reason he's such a good shot. I'm betting he was forced into either some kind of military action, or a private contractor to kill Native Americans, or something along those lines.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Yep, as soon as I saw her name on the credits at the start I thought "Oh so she's not a short term guest star playing a soon to be dead of consumption Victorian prostitute? I guess that means she's going to become the bride of Frankenstein's monster"

I guess all these monsters (Fenton's words) are alone and without love and I don't think it was the rats alone but the whole experience that got Ethan to be a different person.
Flag
I really wasn't expecting that about Ethan either! I am intrigued and I can't wait to find more about him! I love this recap, sometimes I miss important details, I know it's lame of me but I didn't really get why Brona was pissed off when I first watched the scene, haha. Güzel olmuş! *still grieves over Proteus*
Flag
Proteus will forever remain in our hearts. He was the fandom's baby.

Brona just had to deal with a lot of intense emotions at that scene. I think Dorian showing up just freaked her out as well. ( teşekkür ederim. )
Flag
Proteus broke my heart, but one of my favorite scenes so far is when Caliban rips him open and introduces himself
Flag
Oh yes, I'm still making the D; face when I think about that scene, but I can't deny that it's one of the best scenes of the show so far!
Flag
This was incredibly funny, OzgeB. Thanks for taking the time and doing this recap. Well done!!!
Flag
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it =)
Flag
"Just keep him away from cats." OMG this is the best part of this recap! Poor kitty!
Flag
I'm guessing that Brona will become the Bride of Frankenstein... She has consumption & will def be dying, so that's how they keep Billie Piper in the show..? Maybe possibly..? Dorian & Ethan kissing, I totally saw coming as soon as they paired up for a night on the town - I don't thing Ethan is gay really, but rather needed a connection with someone & since Dorian is the master seducer, he decided to f*ck 'em...! I would be pleasantly surprised if the show had two male bisexual characters.. Loving this show! Really, really , reeeeeeally hope it does not get cancelled..! & great recap..!
Flag
I got the distinct impression that Brona is already dead or the scene was played out as a flash forward as we see what I assume is her body covered in a bloody sheet being carried away with interspersed cuts of Ethan viewing the chaos of the street scene as perhaps enhanced by the haze of an absinthe hangover.
Flag
Thank you. Let's hope it gets renewed for another season!
Flag
Wish granted
Flag
Well I´m little worried about this show.. I was hoping that they will show some other aspects/point of view of famous stories but they really just tell Monster/Frankenstein story, classical Dorian Gray.. nothing new. Why would I be interested in character driven episode about character´s past when I have already read a book/know the story? I mean - who doesn´t???
Flag
Congrats on the photo recap :)

I'm thinking the one that makes more sense to be Dracula right now is actually Dorian, since everybody is drawn to him, right? But it seems impossible to be in two places at once, so there goes my theory through the sewer.

I didn't see that last scene coming neither, by the way. I do hope this doesn't become a gay thing, though. Mainly because the character would be more interesting that way. We shall see.
Flag
Cool photo recap, well done! Really had to laugh at the flowers and hearts, ha ha!
While watching, this scene cracked me up:

Flag
Ahah, that guy had it coming! What a nerve. And thank you. I'm glad you liked the flowers and hearts. I barely controlled myself.
Flag
I did not see that coming at all! Absolutely IN LOVE with this show! Even though it is completely ridiculous somehow it works, and it is amazing!

• Hating on Victor right now! I mean come on dude! Give Caliban what he wants & he will leave you alone! If you ask me he should be pretty damn proud of Caliban learning all that he has all alone! (I'm proud of you Caliban!) Also what's with the jealously? He's acting like such a spoiled little child, which is ironic because he has created lives...
  • LOVE Caliban- what an absolute legend! He's got a job that he clearly enjoys and a friend in the old man (can't remember his name), now all he wants is a woman (aww).
  • Vanessa- how can you not love creepy mysterious Vanessa?! Still dying to know more about her relationship with Sir Malcolm & Mina (but I'm guessing we find out all about that next week, yay!)
  • Dorian- I didn't have a clue about Dorian & read this review even though it had spoilers (don't think it mattered much because most people already know about Van Helsing & Victor Frankenstein etc...). It is very interesting though, and his character is very strange indeed.
  • Ethan- erm hey Ethan wtf was kissing Dorian all about? I'm still in shock as I was so not expecting that AT ALL. We obviously need some background on this character but hey we're only on episode 4 so I can wait!
  • Brona- poor poor Brona! Hope she's okay (for now). The story about how her Mother told her to marry a man who was too rough with her in bed so she became a prostitute the next morning... wow.
  • Sembene- OH MY GOD when he just rocked up with the cat (R.I.P. Poor kitty) broke its neck and threw it to Fenton, then just walked away... AMAZING. Victor and Sir Malcolm's faces! Haha! Just AMAZING. Also what is the deal with him following Vanessa? Creepy much!
Pretty sure this show is going to be one that doesn't have any obvious "filler" episodes, and all of them are equally amazing as they all have been so far!
I wonder what other fictional characters that will pop up throughout the series? Exciting! :D

More+
Flag
"Okay, I don't mean to be picky but please tell me that's not Dracula."

What's confusing is he's played by the same actor who played the vampire they killed in episode 1. Do they all become identical exo-skeleton vampires when they transform? That seems kind of boring...
Flag
I'm pretty sure that Dracula is not that super vamp.. the super vamp is the master or the sire of creatures like Fenton, who are merely just quasi-vamps/human slaves.. humans with vamplike tendencies.. The super vamps are the actual vampires & Dracula is the Prince of the Night & I'm sure this show will make him completely bad ass...!
Flag
YEah, I was surprised by that too. Unpleasantly surprised that is.
Flag
Exactly. Also I have to admit that I really expect this show to come up with a more stylish, Gary Oldman type of Dracula if they actually bring the character in. So I hope he's not merely a hissing beast. Though if I remember correctly Vanessa mentioned Mina socializing with him while she was engaged to Jonathan Harker (Am I making this up? I might be.) So hopefully that was just him shapeshifting to give Sir Malcolm a heart attack.
Flag
No, she mentioned Mina socializing with The Count. I'm entirely sure that the hissing bald vampire wasn't him, at least not how we'll usually see him. The show took such pains to keep Caliban faithful to the book I can't imagine them running so far off the rails with Dracula.
Flag
i doubt that was dracula but it seems possible since he changes form, i remember in the book the change when he first appear he was old and decrepit and then when he went to stalk Mina he had become handsome and irresistable.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  •