A Penny Dreadful Community
Showtime (ended 2016)

Hey guys!
We started the episode with Vanessa writing a letter to Mina who is supposedly the captive of a vampire.
(I hope you can read that )

She said she'd been writing to her for a while now but of course she had no way of sending the letters. So it was more of a therapeutic act she did for herself.
So she began to tell their story:

(Don't worry, I won't continue using this font.)

Vanessa and Mina were friends ever since they were children. They were also neighbours.
They got to live in these super cool mansions near the beach. (Which are the most expensive ones on Sims and in real life I suppose.)

Vanessa offered Mina to get in the water and just swim until they got somewhere?
Mina said no, and we were thankful that one of them was able to think logically.
But Vanessa considered that a lack of courage.
As our Vanessa narrated the story we learned that she spent her time with Mina and her brother Peter.

And she was deeply interested in stuffing animals and making them appear as lively as possible. She mostly sounded like:

Peter wasn't so enthusiastic about this particular hobby.
Then Mina and Vanessa started to talk about their dream men.
Peter wanted to grow up to be the sort of man his father would approve of and take with him to his adventures.

On the other hand, I don't know if it's me but everything that came out of young Vanessa's mouth sounded like:
Then Malcolm Murray returned from one of his expeditions even though we didn't know how long he's been away.
A handshake? I know men (especially men of Sir Malcolm's status) have a way more distant relationship with their sons but reallly? Your son's missed you. He probably thought you could have been eaten by lions.

Oh well, I guess we should be thanking that it wasn't an awkward nod instead.

Then he hugged the girls and it was hard to watch Peter's expressions.
I loved how he had a similar relationship with his wife.

uh so polite and annoying. But look at the kids' faces:
Then Sir Malcolm remembered his son for a second (or felt sorry for the strange boy at his house) and gave him a present. And not surprisingly it belonged to an animal.

Very telling scene.

Later Malcolm was putting on a show with a cannibal story and entertaining his and Vanessa's family.

We learned that Vanessa and her family are Roman Catholic.
Mina found it awkward.

Uh oh.

After dinner, for some reason Vanessa decided Mina and Peter were hiding and she needed to find them. What she found out instead was her mother's affair with Sir Malcolm.

Vanessa ran back to her room and started praying.

Vanessa says she felt something change in her after that night and she decided to go along with her urge for small acts of wickedness.
Mina on the other hand didn't have a clue:
Then we jumped forward in time
Vanessa and Peter were playing around.

And Mina was engaged:

Vanessa didn't really appreciate that.

In the meantime:

Vanessa, as she was writing the letter, admitted to not wanting Mina to marry because she didn't want to lose her. Also she thought that Mina would get to experience life before her.

All the same, they did cute things and at this point I decided to make these because I had a feeling I wouldn't get a chance later:

(Enjoy while you can)

Bonus:

Okay, I'm done.

Vanessa basically seemed to think this way:
Yep.

You know how everyone has controlling, envious friends like Vanessa who are prone to getting possessed by the devil every now and then. They are still your friends, guys. Don't abandon them. (Run, run fast and never look back)

Later Peter was complaining to Vanessa about wanting to go to Africa.

But his father still didn't seem to know who he was.
pd (37)
He was also worried about Vanessa being alone because you know, they were practically siblings.
pd (32) pd (33)
Same, Peter.
Vanessa was so afraid of losing them she tried to convince him to stay with her.
After that cringe worthy moment Peter hilariously ran away.
pd (40) pd (41)
Vanessa was heartbroken and needed guidence:
pd (42) pd (43)
Then she actually heard something.
pd (44)
The voice seemed to be giving her ideas.
pd (47) pd (48)

Later that night at Mina and Moustache Guy's engagement party or something she was suspiciously cheerful.

pd (49)
Then she shared another cute moment with Mina.
.pd (51)
Later nothing creepy was going on
pd (54) pd (56)
Or more accurately: Vanessa, don't. That could have been the name of the episode as well.
Later Vanessa ran into Mina's fiancé:
pd (59) pd (61) pd (62) pd (63)
I don't know if she had planned this but it was working.
pd (64) pd (65)
Vanessa started to talk about her favorite hobby: making dead things appear alive.
The moustache dude was enchanted.
pd (69)
Then somehow this happened. Mina caught them in the act.
avlcsnap-2014-06-09-17h00m21s147
pd (70)
Understandably, Mina was devastated.
Vanessa wanted to talk to her and explain why she did it.
Her mother stopped her because this was a scandal and everything.
pd (72) pd (73)
Vanessa reminded her mother that she is one to talk and she should mind her own business. (ouch)
Also it was good that she mentioned her father because no one interacts with that guy and I was starting to think he was a ghost.
I found it hilarious that Sir Malcolm was just waiting by the gate??
pd (74) pd (75) pd (76)
pd (82)
Sir Malcolm was mad at Vanessa for hurting her daughter and destroying his family.
pd (77)
She was so upset she fainted and started to have seizures. This was obviously the devil or Amun Ra? possessing her.
pd (78)
Mrs. Ives was worried about Vanessa and also heartbroken about not being able to see Sir Malcolm anymore.
And when she told her daughter about a clinic that could help her situation Vanessa's reaction was:
pd (80)pd (81) pd (84)
So they went to seek help from this dude:
pd (85) pd (88)
I might be the only one who's still confused about this but Vanessa is possessed by either
A) Amunet
B) Amun-Ra
C) We just don't know
pd (89)
I might need to calmly rewatch and figure it out.
Anyway whoever was inside Vanessa wanted to share a story about drowning slaves.
pd (90)
It could possibly be related to the doctor in some way but I couldn't be sure although he was definitely startled.
pd (106)
Being adressed like this wasn't pleasing to whoever was in possession of Vanessa's body at the moment.
And this became my favorite Penny Dreadful scene.
Just enjoy.
pd (92) pd (93) pd (94) pd (95) pd (96) pd (97) pd (98) pd (100) pd (101) pd (102)
This is the best. Eva Green's greatest performance. It can't possibly get better than this.
pd (107)pd (104)pd (103)
That was amazing.
Then this happened, which was sad.
pd (108)
She was being treated really badly. Ice baths, cold showers and everything.
pd (109) pd (110)
But this moment was lovely and surprising.
pd (111) pd (114)
Now back to working on her like she's a can of tomatoes.
pd (115)
Fast forward: Vanessa's back home.
Her parents:
pd (116)
Then someone came.
pd (119) pd (120)

Read the rest of the recap here

You can follow me at @OzgeBurcakA for new recaps!
43 Comments
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This recap is very good too. And btw, I've started with your most recent one, so I'm sorry about that but It's never too late, is it ? ;)
My opinion is quite similar to yours.
I think Vanessa is not really possessed by any evil (whatever) spirit in fact.
She is very confused with her own 'sexuality', and at that time women were not allowed at all to behave like men, which means : she wants to be fully free to act, speak and make her own decisions in her life. And that kind of freedom was not permitted. So the real 'devil' in this story is herself.
Her strong desires to be able to play the lead in such a free life is seen as a sin through her own mind first.
Unlike all the others around her, she thinks and sounds like a very modern person born in the wrong century and that's why she can never get rid of her christian guilt. To me, this is her real possession state = her mind fighting against her religious dogmas, therefore she's deeply scared of her own behaviour that might not fit with the rest of the room or so she thinks, if she ever let her secret floating boat drift just anywhere.
Vanessa is a young modern woman willing to be free. And she is her own monster too.
And the last thing I've been strongly feeling is, I'm pretty sure that Green's character is hidding John Logan himself. . . :)
More+
Flag
Spectacular show and spectacular reviews Ozge. Thank you so much for taking the time to write/make these and share them with us.
I'm new to the show and binge watched the first 6 episodes over the weekend and just watched the latest episode. I shall be waiting with baited breath for you next brilliant installment. Thanks again.
Flag
You're the best reviewer on TV.COM - and you do this as an unpaid community member. I hope the powers that be value your contributions. I sure do. Can't. Stop. Laughing.
Flag
Thank you, you're so kind.
I think the best part of doing is actually having people say that l make them happy. But of course I wouldn't say no to other blessings =)
Flag
Your photo recaps are so amazing, simultaneously funny and insightful! I think I love them as much as the show itself. I hope you will do all of the upcoming episodes, and I echo the requests for you to go back and do 1-3 so we can have a perfect complete set of recaps to reminisce with while we wait for Season 2.

On the Egyptian curse sitch, I think don't Vanessa is possessed by Amunet or Amun Ra, I think she is Amunet reincarnated. The demon inside her is the same old immortal entity that was "hidden" inside pious Amunet. The demon seems very "male" to me, btw. I think Dorian represents Amun Ra (immortal, keeps little pieces of "souls" in his paintings/pictures of others), so that is why, in this episode, we are still waiting for Amunet and Amun Ra to come together and "release Hell."
Flag
Thank you! I will try to do all episodes when I get the chance.

Also loving the idea of Vanessa being Amunet and Dorian as Amun Ra, it would all make a lot of sense that way. Because right now everything is hella confusing with the vampire also going after Vanessa.
Flag
You must do episode 6 and the first three. These are incredible.
Flag
These photo recaps are hysterical! Please do eps 1-3.
Flag
Magnificent review!
Flag
Thank you, you're very kind
Flag
Well this episode explained a lot so yeh. Vanessa is at the moment one of the strongest female leads on tv. I missed Dorian this week but at least he's back next episode and sharing more scenes with Vanessa. Sir Malcom is a dick and I have a new found hated for that man.
Flag
I think this is the best thing I've read in a while. Laughed a lot.
Flag
Thank you, glad you liked it
Flag
Snap! you did it again GREAT ;)
Flag
Ok,can someone confirm,I guess they are changing characters back story's and just taking artistic license but......didnt Mina Murray grow up relatively poor? She had a friend that grew up super rich that she was with ALL the time and they were like sisters. That friend was not this Vanessa person though....it was Lucy. It "seems" like they are making Mina the Lucy character and Vanessa is more like Mina??
Flag
Freakin' amazing/hysterical recap. Didn't think the show could any better but now I've got your posts to look forward to. Yeah!
Flag
Thank you! That's so nice to hear. I hope the show keeps giving me good material to work with. =)
Flag
So what happened with the drill.

Did they perform the lobotomy (or whatever)

Or did the drill fail to actually go through the skull, thus confusing the doctor.
Flag
He was just drilling a hole in her skull which is a process called trepanning. I am not sure why he was confused though, maybe it didn't work.
Flag
I asked the same question, but later I concluded they performed the lobotomy. That's why Vanessa was lying there, staring into space.
Flag
Definitely not a lobotomy. It was, as OzgeB wrote, trepanning.
Flag
and the point of trepanning is what? airing out the skull?
Flag
There were many reasons for trepanning historically. But in this case it may have been the reason that it released evil spirits in the inflicted's mind. An exit way.
Flag
Dalton and Green are THE two best actors around; this show is theirs. However it would've been nice to see how Ethan and Dorian handled the awkward 'morning after the night before' - I doubt Dorian would be phased, but something tells me that Ethan won't be so smooth with it. ;)

Also I LOVE these reviews; to me, they're as good as the episodes themselves. MORE! I am off to heart OzgeB.
Flag
I agree, I missed Dorian and the other characters this episode and I wonder how they will interact with each other from now on.

And thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoy the recaps, Hearing that makes the effort worthwhile.
Flag
freaking hilarious! Thanks!

I think the doctor was freaked out since she called him by his full name (middle name and I don't think he introduced himself by that name).

I don't believe in monsters, etc but since Penny Dreadfuls take place during Victorian times (I think) then I apply the Victorian standards to the interpretation. Victorian's (I'm not an expert) seem sexually repressed and attribute "evil" to "sexual desires" so Vanessa watching and enjoying her mother having sex (Vanessa's choice to watch and she can judge herself based on her own moral standards) likely made her feel guilty and "bad" (remember, she was a Catholic back in Victorian times). I personally don't believe sex or voyeurism is bad per se but I suspect Victorian's think it is evil.

Excuse my ignorance but whether or not they live in Victorian, Edwardian, etc times…they are living in a sexually repressed era…especially for women.

You wonderfully captured most of the subtle moments (and major moments) of this episode and made it wonderfully funny. Thanks for all the laughs and very well done!
Flag
I believe it's Victorian yes, and thank you =)
Flag
First: Eva Green! Out of this world!

Second: Poor Peter! LOL!

Absolutely hilarious recap OzgeB thank you so much.

Best lines:
- Victorian second base.
- Dissatisfied with the service.
- Am i a ghost? Sometimes I feel like a ghost!
- Let's be horrible together! Deal!

Man I thought they just grabbed the first extra that looked the part and they asked him to be Vanessa's dad. And when he uttered the two lines then they had to pay him actor wages LOL.

The ep was a slow burn, right? But Eva Green is so compelling! I have to admit that Timothy Dalton is quite the handsome devil... ROFL!
Flag
ahaha he is quite the devil, yes. Although the imagery was a bit too much considering it's possible that Vanessa could be Sir Malcolm's child.

I was actually going to write "I wonder if they'll pay me for my two lines" on one of Mr. Ives' caps but I decided to go with the ghost one. He's definitely one of my favorite characters now though. Such a role model considering how he deals with all that tragedy.
Flag
ROFL!

I really don't think Sir Malcolm is Vanessa's father. That looked to me like regular "spur of the moment" sex if any... BUT if he happens to be her father then the possession is even more within character since Egyptian royalty has a rather erm... strong incestuous component.
Flag
"I will eat you soul, when my parents leave the room" lol Yeah, that was the gist of it.
Flag
"I think it is mostly about her own judgement and perception of herself."

This.^

Guilt, fear and desire are a powerful combination of emotions to experience. What made Vanessa a target for Amunet is still unclear, but the "demon" definitely took it's time to wear her down before possessing her. BTW I assumed it was Amnuet who took the form of Sir Malcolm not Amun-Ra, and it was the first time the demon inside communicated with her "face to face".

I am curious about the amount of time that passed between Peter going to Africa, and Vanessa meeting Mina on the beach. How much of what happened between Mina, Jonathan and (I'm assuming) Dracula does Sir Malcolm actually know about? And where is Jonathan?

Flag
Given that Vanessa's hair went from about an inch long in the scene with Peter to very long in the scene on the beach, it was probably over 2 years between those scenes.
Flag
That was a beautiful Font. What's it called?
Flag
Edwardian Script Alt http://www.azfonts.net/load_font/edwardian_script_itc_regular_alternate.html
Flag
Fantastic review. It was unbelievably funny and very well done.
Flag
Thank you, happy to hear you enjoyed it.
Flag
So glad you mentioned Peter, no one seemed to have any interest in him??? When the two siblings' dynamic with Vanessa completely drove the story???

Ugh, this was a devastating episode. Vanessa was exactly what Sir Malcom called her - a cruel little girl. Her selfish desires legitimately drove the Murray family to its doom and possibly herself as well. But did she, as the demon suggested, invite evil into her life or was she doomed from the start? And where do Ethan, Dorian, and Brona fit in? Hm.....
(and the history of institutions for mental illness is so awful,holy crap.)
Flag
I felt really bad for Peter. We had great scenes with him which gave us a good idea of what kind of person he was and I ended up caring about him. But I can't say the same thing about Mina. The only thing I know about her is that she was a generally nice person.

Flag
I'm veeeeery interested to see what's up with Mina because she obviously wasn't the fragile flower both Vanessa and Malcolm see her as. And if she's working with Dracula for personal revenge, veeeery interesting indeed.
Flag
Beautiful and very hilarious please make more of these I also loved this episode everyone played there part wonderfully and Vanessa poor Vanessa despite all the bad shes done I feel the most sorry for her shes suffered so horribly like seriously those showers were torture
Flag
Thank you, I agree, Vanessa did suffer terribly and Eva Green did a great job in those scenes.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members