A Penny Dreadful Community
Showtime (ended 2016)

The episode began with Vanessa and Malcolm assessing the situation of her room after The Master's visit.

pd (296) pd (295) pd (294) pd (293)
I know right? We're still waiting for that sexy dandy vampire, show.

And Vanessa, considering she's the one being haunted by the guy, simply would not tolerate this.
pd (290) pd (289)
Malcolm thought she should try harder to communicate with the monsters.pd (287)pd (288)pd (286) pd (285)
Malcolm asked her if she didn't think of Mina and sort of blamed her for everything.
Vanessa had a good answer for that.
pd (284) pd (283) pd (282)
Of course, I don't actually think it's Vanessa's fault that Mina decided it would be fun to hang out with a vampire.

What I don't understand is why she would actually hang out with a vampire if he looked like that. Like what would make a person go and say hi to a creepy bald dude with red eyes and a cracked jaw? (Some explanation is necessary on his disguise powers. )

Anyway, it was the morning after for Ethan but we didn't get to see his walk of shame, which in my opinion must have been hilarious if he just took off without waking Dorian up.

Just imagine a naked Ethan tiptoeing around the house and thinking:
"Let me just get my underpants from the creepy portrait room."
pd (281)
When he went to his room? Brona was sleeping on the bed, coughing blood as usual.
pd (280) pd (279)
Ethan just went next to her and they cuddled which was very tender and heartbreaking. (Though I did laugh at Ethan trying to fit in because he seems heavy and I was worried for Brona for a second.)
pd (278) pd (276)
Aww, anyway, Brona asked him what he did.
pd (275) pd (272) pd (273)
She told him Dorian was a devil basically :D

Back at the Murray residence we had Vanessa connecting to God knows what
pd (270) pd (269)
She heard screaming and went to tell Sir Malcolm what she thought it meant.pd (268)pd (267) pd (266)pd (263)
While they were trying to figure it out, they had a visitor.pd (265) pd (264)
Guess who:
pd (262)pd (261) pd (257)pd (256)
Sir Malcolm looked at him suspiciously.
pd (255) pd (254) pd (253)
Still he surprised us and told Vanessa she could take a day off from all the weirdness.

Vanessa was very excited.
pd (251)
Now this scene was hilarious.
Vanessa went upstairs to get her coat and Sir Malcolm just stared at Dorian.pd (242)pd (250)
He slowly approached him and his expression changed gradually.pd (249)
Dorian as always, had his charm on and apparently even Sir Malcolm liked him.
pd (248)
pd (246)
pd (245)
Dorian told him he was sorry for taking Vanessa away and Malcolm thought he was cute so he warned Dorian that Vanessa was "her own creature".

I just love how subtle everyone thinks they are in this show.
Then he stared at him some more.
pd (244)

We saw someone we were very fond of (Remember Fenton?)
pd (243)
(It's okay, honey. At least you get to stay pretty. We can't say the same for your master.)
Victor was getting ready to work on him.
pd (241)pd (240)
He seemed contemplative and slightly disturbed but he got to work all the same.pd (239)
Speaking of Caliban...
pd (238)
He had a visitor.
pd (237) pd (235) pd (234) pd (233)
She gave him her fake blood tube because it was clogged.

Then she told him how her brother had an accident but she still liked looking at him which of course, made Caliban feel all the things.
pd (230) pd (229)
Back at the Murray's:
pd (226) pd (228)pd (227)
Well this is what actually happened:
Malcolm was checking relevant news regarding Vanessa's visions.
Victor told him Fenton wasn't like the other creature but he didn't have any other information.
pd (212) pd (210)
But he really wanted some attention. He asked if he would come along for their secret mission.
pd (224)
Malcolm wasn't interested.
pd (223) pd (222) pd (221) pd (217)
pd (209)pd (214)pd (208)
That was difficult to watch but that's karma for you. Victor.
You're not exactly the dad of the year.
I mean, who runs away from their made-out-of corpses-screaming-bloody-murder-first born??

Anyway, Sembene had lines! And he was very dramatic.
pd (207) pd (206) pd (205)pd (204)
He told Malcolm what he didn't want to hear: That he could have to kill her to save her.
pd (203)

Then we were back with Vanessa and Dorian, who are the cutest.
Dorian had offered her to have her photo taken and she said she agreed because it's hard to say no to him.
Dorian was very touched. Later they talked about how photos capture people's souls, you know, the usual.
pd (190) pd (189) pd (188)
Dorian said he would protect that piece of her soul (*Puts on shipping goggles and squeals*)
Later he approached her and they continued their intriguing coversation about souls and immortality.
pd (200) pd (194)pd (197)pd (199)pd (198)
I just can't. The subtle confessions again.

Dorian just looked her straight in the eye and told her that the immortal in him recognizes the immortal in her and they should just make it official already.
pd (191)pd (193)pd (196) pd (195)
The sudden intensity in Reeve's eyes basically prove how good he is as Dorian.
His transition from the cute charmer to the insatiable immortal underneath is impressive.

And the same goes for Eva's performance as Vanessa.
Because doesn't everyone just love the transition we witness
from this
pd (201) pd (187)
to this:
pd (185)
Because I love it.

Anyway, back at the theater Caliban gave the actress a thoughtful gift.
pd (184) pd (183)
But then he found out she had a boyfriend.
pd (182) pd (181)
He spent some time humming and sobbing.

Back with the cuties:
pd (180)
They just didn't want to say goodbye to each other. Dorian asked her what she was doing later and she offered to have dinner.

Then we saw someone drawing a detailed body. Who could it be?
pd (179) pd (176) pd (177)
Pretty much.

Thank god the new and cute addition to our cast arrived.
pd (175) pd (174)
He was obviously a mentor to Victor and he wanted to talk about love instead of work this time.
pd (173) pd (172)
Yup.
pd (170) pd (171) pd (169) pd (167) pd (166) pd (165) pd (163) pd (159) pd (161) pd (157) pd (160)

Continue Reading

You can follow me at @OzgeBurcakA for updates on new recaps!
57 Comments
Comments (57)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
OMG.....I literally thought the exact same things you did when watching this episode!!! Insane!! &__& When I saw those vampires with those long white hair, I was like they look freakishly familiar....and then when they woke up, it just hit me - They are literally clones of Lady Gaga.....Hahahahahaha....I just couldn't take the scene seriously after that....LOL....feel bad cos it was a pretty good scene! XDD Couldn't stop laughing internally, nonetheless I still loved it~
AND that dialogue you quoted between Dorian and Vanessa.....WOW....I was literally thinking the same thing....like the best piece of freaking writing ever!!! Gosh....John Logan gave me so many Literary Orgasms this episode, it's not even funny!!! LOL You are the BEST btw.....These recaps made me love this Show even more~~ &3
Flag
Thank you! So happy you enjoyed them!
Flag
Couldn't wait for 'Grand Guignol' recap to say SPECTACULAR !
Flag
Oh my god, your recaps are everything. I wish you'd quit your job and just photo recap all the shows I like (she said selfishly)
Flag
I love your recaps, I almost woke up the whole family laughing
Flag
Thank you! That's a great compliment! I love making people laugh.
Flag
Love this but... where's episode seven? *Poke, poke, poke.
Flag
am in love with this show and the review u just did is crazy hilarious, love it...back to the show i have a feeling that season two wont have as much mystery as this season as almost all characters have been exposed except maybe Dorian, Sembene and Ethan we don't know their stories as yet but otherwise its a great show just waiting on Sunday's Finale
Flag
show just soooo boring, i watch on dvr so i can fast forward through it now..
Flag
Just had to add the above link because how else can Nathan be explained?
Flag
Seriously, it's a bad week when you aren't reviewing.
OH TV.COM. POWERS THAT BE, PUT OZGEB ON PAYROLL !
BTW....I would PAY to read you expound about Vanessa and Dorian's relationship.
Flag
Whilst I love this show - and I do love, love it (but not in a weird way) - I love your reviews more. They're funny, but they're also informative and intriguing. Bear in mind, here in the UK we don't get PD until tonight so this review is the only good part of Mondays for me.

Thank you for finally explaining (albeit unwittingly) why my husband would send me a text message with 'I &3 u'; which to me was basically saying 'I fart you'....I mean what? Why would he fart me? what does that even mean - he doesn't like my deodorant or something?

Of course I eventually discovered that it actually meant heart....which of course made a lot more sense, and meant I could go back to my favourite deodorant. But you see the confusion - so I was not going to ask my 16 year old daughter what 'broken heart. So your reviews, to old nutjobs like me at least, are informative as well as entertaining.

As for Caliban - nope, not feeling sorry for him. I stand by my theory of the last episode:- he came into the world screaming like a girl because he's evil; Proteus didn't because he was good. Victor ran from The Monster because he sensed, on some immediate and instinctive level, that he was evil; he didn't run from Proteus because he, in the same way, sensed he was good.

If I were Victor, instead of scouting for girls (see what I did there? I hope it was right) to make The Monster a girlfriend, I'd be trying to find a way of killing him. We all know The Monster's not immortal by the ease with which he killed poor Proteus; unless the saying 'the devil looks after his own' is truer than we thought - in which case somebody better fetch Vanessa, who seems to be channeling that 'Big Bad' as we speak.....
More+
Flag
ahaha Thank you! Happy to hear they are helpful =)
Flag
Spot-on again! You are awesome.
Flag
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!
Flag
I hurt from laughing so hard:-) Thank you for brightening my day with laughter.

The conversation between Dorian and Vanessa was beautiful and fascination. I agree with all your points and I really look forward to your recaps.

You are seriously talented with your humor and ability to make people laugh. I wish you recapped more shows I watched.
Flag
Thank you, you're so sweet! It makes my day to hear that I can make people happier in some way.

I would love to do this as a job, actually. Then I'd have time to do it more often.
But if I get inspired enough I might do another show after Penny Dreadful. =)
Flag
Oh, please write about Banshee! Please, please,please!
Flag
You would be one of the best writer on the site imo since I, and many others, like humorous yet insightful reviews/recaps. Also you are very professional and courteous in your responses to people's comments!
Here's the one of the highest compliment I can give: your recaps are as good as the ones that Price did (a reviewer on this site but he isn't around much and only reviews a few shows).

The site would be lucky to have you as staff and I am grateful for your community posts--kind of like random (but not random, lol) acts of kindness.

You should message TV.com_editorial through the private message system and include a link to this recap. I do worry about limited resources at the site. Anyway, I think your style of writing is the kind many like (mix of humor and insight) and not inflammatory!
Flag
Thank you, you're really kind. I will look into that =)
Flag
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that conversation between Dorian and Vanessa at dinner was amazing. I love this rendition of Dorian like whoa! So much depth beneath his boyish charm.

Also was it just me or did there seem to be something fishy about the old man outside the book store. It's probably nothing. But i thought it was strange that they showed him twice... I'll look for a pic, when I get a minute.
Flag
This is the man I was talking about. It's probably nothing, and yet...

Flag
Now I wonder if we'll see him again.
Flag
Every Dorian and Vanessa interaction has been extremely poetic and meaningful so far. That's why I think they have a different and important connection in the show.

But I didn't notice the old man.
ıf he shows up again we'll know for sure.
Flag
Just found out about these today, hurried to catch up on the show so I could read all three :) You know what I love? That you are literally Making Fun, and without being demeaning. That's a rapidly vanishing skill.

Please keep on with it! And yes, please do the first three if you can find the time.

Flag
Thank you, that's such a kind thing to say. I do my best not to be demeaning. And I have to admit I even feel bad about the "better than twilight" joke though it's not supposed to be offensive.

I will definitely do all of the episodes when I have the time.

Flag
not at all offensive and quite skillful to be so hilarious without being offensive
Flag
I think that's the best compliment ever. A Hufflepuff's dream, to be honest.
Flag
It was a gentle tweak, not to worry.

Loving the portrait trying to get Dorian's foot out of the door so he can go back to sleep.
Flag
that poor portrait is so done.
Flag
Damn! Dorian is really getting around lol
Flag
hide yo wives hide yo kids Dorian's coming to town
Flag
Thank you ;) I love the little drawings, hearts, question marks; embellishment of this weeks recap!
Flag
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed them! I do my best to control the urge to put them in all the caps.
Flag
let go of the control and go crazy with the drawings, hearts, etc…. It's perfect as is but I would love to see what you would do if unrestrained;-)
Flag
you don't know how bad it can get.
I can see myself drawing moustaches on everyone (for no good reason)

Flag
i'm 99% sure that ethan is a werewolf. i think i heard him growl like a wolf when the vamp was on top of him
Flag
He did! I even thought he was going to turn but after the hilarious scene with vampires trying to hug Sembene I forgot all about it.
Flag
I'm so happy you recap Penny Dreadful on weekly bases. Thank you for your work!

I love Vanessa, but Dorian creeps me out. Also seeing Timothy Dalton (the one true James Bond) as Sir Malcolm is a delight.
Flag
I agree Timothy Dalton is amazing!
Flag
Just a brilliant recap. I love this show for many reasons but the main reason is Vanessa and Dorian they are just beautiful creatures of hotness. The hidden messages that they don't say with words but with their eyes, and just everything about them, there deep and complicated and layered and down right cute, Dorian is sexy as all hell and Vanessa is stunning. I can not stand caliban he's bothering me, like seriously man up and get over it poor Van Helsing. Cant wait for next week.
Flag
I LOVE YOUR RECAPS &3 Vanessa/Dorian yay!
Flag
Thank you!
Flag

Back with the league of extraordinary gentlemen, Malcolm realized how upset Ethan was.

Do not mention those words! Or this man will hunt you down and take your skin for his own.

Flag
That's scarier than anything else in the show, tbh. (Even "the master" vamp seems like a safer option.)
Flag
And if he doesn't, this man will hunt you down for mentioning the movie that he had to retire on.

Flag
I'm going to pile on and say that you did a great job and thanks for all the laughs amongst the insights.
Flag
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!
Flag
Fantastically done.
Flag
Thank you, very kind of you!
Flag
Great job on the recap!
Flag
Thanks!
Flag
i think these recaps are wonderful and very funny and thank you for making them &3
as far as the show goes, i think its a little caught up in all the pretty stuff, i dont really feel much is going on, but i dont really care.
this show is very enjoyable. it feels like reading a book. subtle
Flag
Thank you and I agree, The show definitely feels like reading a book with all the detailed visuals and dialogues. =)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members