We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Penny Dreadful Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on Showtime (Returning May 1, 2016)
Hey!

Warning for spoilers!

The episode began with the Devil just enjoying some quality time with Sir Malcolm and cleverly criticizing beauty norms. 1 222 222222
She/he/it had a point. And Malcolm knew something wasn't right.
He calmly asked her about randomly levitating the other night.
44 67
Then this happened
6 aklfmkdl 8
That Mina sure is a creeper. If you decide to pay a visit to your dad through your best frenemy's body like it's a free cell phone, why would you waste that time blabbering on about how he was absent. Please. #VictorianRichGirlProblems.

Maybe if it was just the Devil pretending to be Mina all along because then it decided to tell Malcolm (and us) how horrible he really is.
88 999802 13 12 15 1611
The Devil loved messing with Malcolm, and she just kept going and going.
18 19 20 21 23 25 27
Malcolm also raped people and made Peter rape people?

jjust great.

The Devil was really annoyed with him. (And that's saying something!)
28 29 b
She/He made all the things fly about the room while Malcolm just stood there.C
Sembene to the rescue.

D E F
Sembene had to.
g J LDKF DDSFŞİD
Later:
OP
Vanessa was adorably distressed.
And she had a visitor.
DSKFDSFDSFFDS SDFDSFDSGFGDF SDFDSFDS SDLFMDSLFDS
I love the weird family dynamics in this house.

They told Malcolm to beat it and he was offended. (because he wants to know everything)

Then we had Vanessa (???) and Victor playing doctor.SFALKLFLDFSF DSFLDLKDSFLDSF
He asked her to come into the light for him. (Meaningful choice of words)FDFDFDFFD DSFLFDLFDSLKFDS SDKNFDKSFSDFSDF ASKLFMSDLKFMSD SKALLKSAKLSSAS
When Vanessa was worried about not looking her best, Victor told her she had healthy eyes.
OH, Victor.

Then he listened to her heart.DSLKFDLKFSLDLFDSFLDSFDS
He told her he basically only interacts with dead people. (Now adding the possessed to the list, I guess)

Victor tried to make sense of what happened down stairs but Vanessa didn't know.
DSLKKDLSLDKSDSDS SDLKDLKSDSLKDFS DSFDSFSDSSSSSSSSSSSS SMDLSMFSDLKFMDSF DSLSASDSASASASASASDA
When there was some contact she changed her attitude.kfsdlkfmdslfdsfds dssssssssssssssssssssssssss dslkdldlldsfdfsdsfdsffffffffffffffff
She told him he was a virgin and look at his poor face.dfsşfddfdsffffffffffffffffffffffff FDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DSFKJDFNKJDFKFDKJDFSKJDSF
The best thing about Victor is he just waits for more no matter what he experiences (unless it's a newly resurrected man-baby covered in blood & screaming his guts out)
SDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DSFDSFDSFDSFDSFDSDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSKLLKMLKLK SDKMFKDMFMKDFMLKDDLKMSDSFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLMKKKKKKKK
It was only after she quoted him that he decided to panic a little SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADLKMMMMMMMMMMMMSDFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLŞLLŞ DSFLKDSKMFLKFDSLDSKMFDSKMLDSFKMLDSFFDS DMSKCMKDMKMKCMKDSMKDSCDS
Victor left the room telling her his examination hadn't begun yet.

The devil seemed amused & playful during their interaction and slightly disgusted afterwards. At least she wasn't as angry as she was with Malcolm.

Victor had some reasonable theories about Vanessa's actions:
İMP
Yes, the show didn't condemn women for being sexual, on the contrary, it explained how her own judgment about it might have affected her mental health.KSLKMSLDASLSAAS
I love how Malcolm was the target for all this social critique.

Then Victor asked Malcolm if it could have been triggered because of a recent event.
SDAMLKLLKDDSKMLDADAS KAKSNSNKDKDS DSFJKNKJFDNKJFDJFDKKJSDFDFDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Calm down Malcolm.

They figured out that her meeting with Dorian caused this. (Sherlocks, both of them)
As Victor was making some more deductions this happened:
SDKJFKJFDKJFDSKJFDSKJFDSFS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLKMLMKLMKLM SAKMLMSLKDMDLKSMSLKDAKMLSLKDDSA DCKJSNFKDSJNFKDSFNSDKFNDSFDS DKMLMDSLKMDSLFKDSMFSD SAKNDASNDSAKJFNSKFSAF
That seemed fun, you guys. (RUNNING FOR THE HILLS)

Then our hero arrived!
SLLÖAALÖSLÖSDA
DMKDSMSDKSKMKASSA SMDMDSLMDSSMALSMLSDSDA FDSFDDFDSFDSF SFDLDSDMFLLDFMSFSFDFD
Vanessa wasn't herself and Ethan seemed clueless.
MMLLMLLLÖÖÖ LŞLŞLŞDŞLŞLDŞLD PİDİİDDDD
In a very touching scene Ethan gently held her hand and Vanessa told him no one had done this for years.
But then she suddenly got mean?SAKJDNJNJASANSDNKAKSAS ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSD DFDFDFDFFDFFD SDKDLSFKFDLKDFSLKDFSDSF skjafnskjfndskfndskjdsds dskffdskmfdslkfdslkfdslmfdslkfsd
Was I the only one who waited for more details because whoa, the Devil was on it.

Also, thank you show, for introducing an awesome bisexual hero/possibly monster cowboy dude who likes to help people and be nice in general. (when he's not ripping people apart???)

Moving on, The Devil was having so much fun.
dsfklfdksmkfdslmkfdslmfdsllkmfds SFNDNJFKDNJKFNJDNKJFSDFSF, dsklfdklmfdsmlkdfslkmfdsdfdsfsdf
Then she turned her attention to her favorite sinner: Sir Malcolm Murray DSKFLKLDFSKDLFSKLDSFDSFSFD SDKMFKMFDDKMFKMDFDKMFDSFF
She had to be sedated.
SDFJNFNKJDFNDKFDNJKDFSNKJFDS FSLKMSDFKMLDSFLDSFFDS
It broke Ethan's heart to see Vanessa like thisDSFJNFDSNFDNJKFDKNKNJFFDSKFSD
Downstairs, some time later:
fdsklmfdmlkdflkfdlkfdlkmfdssfd DSLKFDKFLMFDLKLKFDSLKMFDSDFS
SDKMDFSKLMFDMLKDFKLMDLKMMFDSLKDSFSFD asqsaklmasklkdslkmdas
Then Malcolm tells him about the monster seeking Vanessa
sfdndsnjfsnfdsdfsnfdnkfdskfdknfds dskfkfdmdkflsdslkfdsdsff
Ethan told them she needed some religion related help probablyfdsklfdslkkdlfkfdslfdsdsf fkslkfdslkdfdslklfdkdsfdfs SFDNJFDSNDSKDKNJFKNJDFDS fdskfdnjdjfkfdjkfds dslşlfdşsslfdşdlşlşdddddddddddd dfsşdfşdşdşd dslşdlfşsldşsfldşsfdsdss sfdlkfdslkmdfsmlkdsflkfdfds sddfsfdsfdsfsdf
Malcolm reminded him Vanessa trusted them and they should fight for her.fdkfdkfdkfdkfdd dfklmfdfkdlmflmfdlfdfffd fdkfdkfkdkfdkfdffdffd dmffdmmsdfsmdfmdfdmfddf dpspdsdpğdsğdsğdsğdssd
Ethan just got angrier and angrier. (Who can blame him?)
Then we had the heartbreaking music and painful scenes of Vanessa fighting the demon.
sdjkdsdfsjkdkjdsfjkdkjdsds skdlmfldskmfldsfds sfdklmflsdmdlksmfdslsfd dsnfdksjfndskdsfsd dsnjfdjfjfskfdjdsfjkjdsfsdfd llklklkl
Oh Victor.
Oh Victor Victor.

This episode we learn something new about our young doctor. Although he always seems so unaffected and coolheaded, he's actually addicted to morphine while he's dealing with everything he simply calls "Pain".
It was sad.

But it's also amusing that after a week of cleaning puke and restraining the devil, he just didn't care about people possibly knowing this.

Then we had Ethan sitting by Vanessa's bed.
dskkfdkfdslkdfslkfdssfdsfd dfmnfnmsdnmdnmmndsfsfd dsfkjjfkndkjfdkjfsfdsfd
After some small talk she asked for watersdkfldkfslkldfskdlkldfsfds fdfdfffdddddddddddddddddd dsfkkfdkfdskdssddf dsjffjdjfdssjdfdsfsdfsfd dsffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffcccccccccccccccccccccccc dskfklfdlkdslkdslddsldlk
They had very sweet momentsdskfkjfdkjdfkjfdskjskjfsdffd dkkdskdskdkdkdsds dsfoodsfıdsokfokfdokdfsfds dsklfmdslkmlfdsdfs dfdklglkfdlkgfdgfd flfşfşlfdlşgşlgşlgşlg llolllll ppppppppppppppppppppppppp reıwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww dfsklkfldklfdsdlkfsdsdsf
Then things got even more serioussdfjfdnjsdfkjfdkjdfsfdskjdfsdsf 854444444444454
This scene was intense. Vanessa asked Ethan to kill her when the time came but he started to talk about hell and I thought Ethan was about to confess his identity but what happened next took me by surprise.
ODPFPOSDOPDSOPDFSPOFDS MBCVCVCV
Uh oh. Not Ethan after all.
Vanessa asked his name but he didn't give her one.
dsknfdksjfndskfndskfndsfdfdf sakmdfskfmdsfsdf
When she asked him if he was afraid of showing his true face he said he was always afraid and that stare just gave me the creeps.

For a second I forgot all about Josh Hartnett and Ethan Chandler. I just had goosebumps.

Vanessa: Are you afraid?
Demon: Always. But do you know what I fear most of all? A life thwarted. Greatness promised, but never achieved.
Vanessa: If your goal is to have me surrender to you, that day will never come.
kjkjkjkjkjkjkjk dsfjnnjfdjdnfjknfdsdf
He tried different approaches to get to her.
Persuasion didn't work.
sdskdkldssldksdsdas dmskdskmdskdsdssda
Sassy devil. Josh was killing it!
dsjksdkjsdnnksksasa
Threatening didn't work.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmllllllllllllll
Which was awesome! Finally a character who realized they didn't have to sacrifice themselves for other people because a maniac said so.

So he tried temptation:
sfdknjffjkdskdsjfdsf dslmfkmkdsmklsfmlksdsdf kjfejwknfeknjwfenjfewnkjfewknjfewknfewknfewfew
Mention eating souls and you have her attention.sndsjndjndknsnsaskas fskndfnjsdfnjdfsdfsknjffds kjsdnfkdsjfndkfsdsf sdfjdkjfskjfdsfkjdfdkjdfkjdfsdsf sdkflkdfmdslkmdflkmdfskldfs sakdnksajndaksdnsakdnaskdnasdkasndkasdnsakdasd dsfjkfdknjfdjknfdkjfdjkfdkjskjfdskjfdsfds flgmdlkgmfdlgfd dsfnjdsfkdkndsdfsdfsdfddfdssdddds hshshsshhshss
Okay, here is what I think about this scene.

Vanessa does have a dark side, I don't know if it's because she's the incarnation of Amunet or whatever. We still need some clarity on that part. But the truth is that she has a part that seeks comfort in darkness. She is definitely drawn to it. When the Devil (Amun Ra?) talked about his future plans for them she basically melted in his arms. She seemed to lose herself and find peace in those words.

He calls her "darkling", reads poetry, promises her no pain and suggests eating people, caresses her hair and they cuddle.

Sorry but it feels tempting even to me so I'm not going to judge Vanessa.

Then we were out of the room of dark romance.
dadslkdslkdsdas fdsjfjddfkjfds
Because why not
KKCSKFDKSLDFSFD
Malcolm wanted to talk about Ethan's life choicesSDFKFDFKDSFDFSFDS FDFFDGFGDFGFGFDGFDGFDGFDG FDSKKDSLFLKDLDKFSDFSDSF FLDFLFDLDLDFDLFDFDF
Ethan's temper was getting worse.CXXXC DFSMDFLKSFDMKLDFKLLKDDSDSFDSF SMDFMDFSMFDMDMSFDSF KFDLFLKDLFDKLFDDLFDLFFDFS fmdmfdgmgfmgmfgfg
Malcolm talked about going back to bring his son's body back.
But they both knew it was only an excuse.

Upstairs:
FDKKFLGLFGLGFLKDFGGFDFDG FKLDSMFDLKMLKFDMLKFLKMFDS SFDJJKDSFDKJFFDFDS FFDSFDFSDDSSD
Vanessa had some skin problems like Egyptian God tattoos appearing on her skin.
Later:
FDKKFGFKFDKGFGFGG KJNKNKJNJKNK
Malcolm didn't mind his youngest son openly doing drugs like nobody's business.FDKLDLKFSSDFLKLKFDLDSKFSFD
By the way, now I'm sure that Victor can actually feel Caliban??DSLKDSLKFLKFSLKDLKSDFLKFDFDSFDS KFDSJKFDSKJDFKJDKJDFDFS KLKDLFDLKFSLKDFDLKDSFDFS FDSFDKJDFJKFDKJFDSFDS SSDJJFDKDKJSKJDFSFDFDS SFKFDKFDKDKFJKFDSJKJFDSDSF DSJKFKJFDSJKDFSKJDFKJFDKJDDFS
They definitely seemed like they were used to living as a weird familyFDDJFSSJFDKFKJFDSKJFDSFDS FDDSFLKFDLKDLKFSDFSFDS FDSKKFDJDKSKSFDSFD DFJJKFKFKFDKFKDGFG FDSKMFDSKMFKMFDSKMFDSFDS
Ethan told Victor how he thought that Malcolm was lying to them and he didn't care about Vanessa
FDGNJFGFNJGDFDGKJFDGFDG DSFJJFDNFDNJFDNJDSKSKJFDFDKNJDSFFDS SJDKFJKFDSDKJFDFSKFSFD MKKKMKM JDKSFFKDSNFKDSFNSDFDS DSKJFDSNFKSDNFS gnkrfgnrkgnrekgre
Ethan told Victor about native kids being taken away from their families, forgetting their identities and dying in the end.

They talked about how Vanessa was like them because she didn't belong in either world.

Victor went to the window againflermfrelgmerlgmerge dsjfkfjkndsjkfdjkfddsf jkenjrkenjrenfrejte

Read the rest of the recap here

You can follow me at @OzgeBurcakA for updates and new recaps
68 Comments
Comments (69)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I have no idea why it took me this long to find this, but your Penny Dreadful recaps have had my husband and I in stitches. Seriously, I wet myself just a little... and I want to watch TV with you kthnx
Flag
Ahah thank you, glad you both enjoyed it! I'll continue the recaps this week so make sure you don't miss them! =)
Flag
Took me longer to read the above than it did watch the episode. I was hoping for a review not a slideshow. I wouldn't mind some answers like, is Chandler some sort of heavenly being in disguise?! Pretty sure a cowboy wouldn't know that stuff. So maybe if we're seeing demons and devils there are some forms of spiritual goodies haha. Personaly I thought he was gonna be some sort of arch angel affair. Who knows man this show has so much potential but then sorta gets lost in itself.
Flag
LOL just saw the title Photo Recap. My bad! I just assumed it was a post episode review like you guys do for other tv shows. It did make me chuckle but took forever to get through :P
Flag
Loved the recap. wish I could like it twice. Gonna check all your other recaps too.
Flag
I too, was waiting for more elaborate details about Ethan and Dorian's night. Especially since we never got to see it. I was pleasantly surprised to find out Ethan was the bottom. LOL
Flag
I can't wait for your finale recap. These make my day.
Flag
I will probably post it this weekend. =)
Flag
this show should be renamed Penny Awful...especially after the end of the latest episode (08)..where is the action? it's all talk..literally..
********************Spoilers**************************
i mean wtf, all that time looking for her and he does that.! at least we got to see wolfie after such a long boring episode, and what will he think of his little prozzy becoming bride of frankenstein..i'm going to keep watching with the relief that i can fast forward through the boring bits
Flag
omg this is too much to friggin hilarious I love this show and its like majorly serious so this is a good way to lighten the mood
Flag
Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it =)
Flag
OMG(uitar) !
Honestly, your recap made me laugh like M A D ! I loved it. You were hilarious just from A-Z ! So = Thank you ! Thank you sooo much ! I really needed that precious laugh today... You can't imagine how good I feel now ! You're my private therapy for just one day (thinking of hiring you for the rest of 2014 too...) and it's just awesome ! Can I share it with your permission ? Pls say yes or I'll tell Vanessa... LMFAO ! ;)
Thank you again, and again :) B. &3
Flag
Thank you! =) Of course you can share the post with anyone.
Flag
Thank you ( I know, I know : i'm repeating it :-) ) I am pretty sure many people will laugh just like me first and feel good after...
I'm sharing it right now.
Flag
This was probably your best recap yet.

And this:
OP

is EVERYTHING!!
This was my fave episode by far, everyone was perfect, so many f-bombs, revelations about sexual dalliances, casual drug use, shooting bottles in the basement, a priest getting his face gnawed on, I can't even...
God I love this show.
Flag
But the truth is that she has a part that seeks comfort in darkness. She is definitely drawn to it.

How true! We know her backstory now and we know how things started to go downhill (evil-wise lol) for her, so yes, she has definitely darkness inside of her even though she is necessarily not a "bad" person. I love this show also because of this. Btw the actress deserves all the awards, just saying.

I thought it was interesting that she finally found where Mina was right after they managed to beat the devil in her (or whatever that was haha). So perhaps Sir Murray should have had a different approach to her. She's basically more useful when she is lucid and evil-free!

So, I was wondering about Ethan and the story he told about the native american kids. I wonder if it was actually his story, we still don't know anything abou him!

Great recap as always, it's nice to see the episodes under a new light!
Flag
Like everyone, I was surprised by the out of no where exorcism performed by Ethan.
It did seem to come over him all of a sudden, and then he left the house? Love this show, much more questions than answers every week. So he's Dean Winchester, lol.

I talked about this one with my daughter, and she said he might be some native american version of a wolf god, or spirit. That does not explain the Latin though.
We know he was in the Indian wars, and he talks about the young Indian boys being pulled between the white man's world, and their own, not fitting in in either. He's describing Vanessa, but I think he's also speaking about himself, perhaps this is why he holds such a strong connection to her in this episode.

We do learn that Vanessa says she could fall in love with him, there's an attraction there. Not one I saw coming. I did enjoy their scenes together. I'm sure everyone is already thinking love triangle, Dorian, Ethan, and Vanessa.

Poor Dr. Frankenstein, Van Helsing told him he had to look up from his work and find his love, as he did. For a moment I thought he had, looking into Vanessa's eyes, running his thumb across her lips, but I guess it was demon Vanessa that turned him on, lol.
More +
Flag
I am normally not a fan of soapy love triangles but this show is doing everything so good, so I am a fan now. XD I think the secret lies on the fact that none of the characters are annoying or useless in this show.
Flag
Thank you, I'm pretty much convinced that Vanessa is actually the incarnation of Amunet as it's suggested in the show, so when anyone mentions eating souls she instinctively reacts like "Yup, count me in".

I don't know about Ethan though, It seems like the show is giving us false hints about him. They've been pushing the idea that he's a werewolf too strongly and he might turn out to be something different. The same with native stories. And after he performed an exorcism I think it's possible that he might have been a priest before but I don't want to assume anything. His identity is probably going to be a big revelation in the season finale.
Flag
It was a prayer in latin : Most holy Apostle, St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, pray for her.

I think you're right about the reveal, and I think after all the speculation it just might be a wolf after all.
Flag
Yes, I forgot to mention the exorcism scene! I think a lot of viewers had the same reaction: Where did that come from? How did he know how to use the medal Brona gave to him? After watching the first episode, I was kind of thinking Ethan was probably going to be the most boring characters in the show, but I am happy to see that I was wrong, haha.
Flag
Again, a fantastic recap! Vanessa, her demon, and Ethan really stole this episode. Is it wrong that I found Demon|Ethan hotter than Angel|Ethan? I cannot wait for the finale. I'd better get some answers to all the mysteries that have been building over the course of the season! I'll look forward to your recap, as well!!
Flag
Thank you!
And Demon Ethan was pretty amazing so I am not judging you.
Flag
Regarding the 'family' stuff, it reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in which the Scoobies became a 'family'.

Victor Frankenstein came from a rich family. So, why is he apparently poor? It seemed he was only helping Malcolm because he was desperate for money. But then we saw his background. And we know he's a doctor. So, he shouldn't need to essentially beg Malcolm for money. That's a big plot whole for this show and an uneccessary one.
Flag
We don't know why or how Victor left home so he may not have access to his family's money. Or maybe he lost everything.

He accepted Malcolm's offer because it would require little work (probably for a great amount of money) and give him more time for his "research".

Considering that he's a young doctor who seems to prefer studying instead of actually operating on people who can pay him, it's normal that Victor didn't make as much as he would like. So accepting Malcolm's easy offer makes a lot of sense.
Flag
also-also-also...

a lot's been said about ethan possibly being some priest/demon hunter as his big secret, or "aaand why didn't he do that 54 minutes ago?" but really i think he said that prayer as a "got nothing to lose" last ditch effort sort of thing. you can practically see the light bulb go on suddenly when it occurs to him. i mean, it's either that or shoot vanessa.

the only thing i think the show has been bad at has been making me care whether or not they find mina.
Flag
BTW... What do you commentators think about all the family references . Ethan outright called Malcolm 'Dad', even though it was played as a jest. Each character is so bound to another.

Flag
i love the dysfunctional family vibe they have going! and it really makes a lot of sense. a group of lonely troubled souls gravitating to one another. the icing on the dysfunctional cake would be if van and ethan got together! i really want this to happen. during that last excorcism scene, when ethan pushed van up against the wall, i thought, for a bizarro flash second, uh is he going to kiss her? blood in the teeth. gross. no. and completely inappropriate considering the context. no. hah.
Flag
There's a lot of kissing of the bloody mouth going on. Vanessa and Demon Ethan, Dorian and Brona, Ethan and Brona. Ewwwww.
Flag
oh you're right! that is clearly a recurring thing. bleeehhh.
Flag
I will continue the OzgeB love fest and write thank you for another succinctly brilliant recap. A heavy episode indeed and you help make it less traumatizing with your respectful levity. I'm so invested in these characters now. The writers should be heralded for relating the depth of an era's humanity and inhumanity. I can't find one weak point in this show. Gorgeous cinematography, Oscar ( if it was a film) worthy acting, amazing costumes (I need the Eva boob dress) and serious sets. No missteps here. Well, maybe having so much at stake and all for that insipid Mina chick!
Flag
Thank you, my thoughts exactly!
Flag
In case you want it the Latin prayer was to Saint Jude (Brona's Metal) "Saint Jude. Glorious Apostle. Friend of Jesus. Pray for her." Love these by the way. I love this show. Keep up the good work and you should retroactively do the first three episodes.
Flag
Oh yeah, 'patron saint of lost causes'... very appropriate!
Flag
I've been looking forward to your recap!
Insert about bunch of glowing fangirl comments here about the show and your recaps!
I'm so impressed with your blend of insight and insanely funny comments/captions.
Perfection!
Flag
Thank you, so kind of you!
Flag
OzgeB - I love how you change horror into a comedy. Eva Green's faces with your captions are fantastic combination. And yours Sembene is just hilarious. Please whatever you do don't stop recaping Penny Dreadful.

1. I think it wasn't a wolf's painting, but a mirror.
2. Do you wanna built a snowman? - Epic Win.
3. "This is worse than period cramps." - Victorian Age = No pain killers. Poor Vanessa :(
Flag
I missed it during the episode,but I also think that's a mirror.
Flag
I also missed the mirror scene, but the scene with the moon was pointed, so now I'm trying to figure out if he really is or not.
Flag
Like you I am also in figure it out mode.
Flag
You are fantastic at this.
Flag
Thank you, so very kind of you.
Flag
I'd also like to say your screen shots of caliban waiting outside the window singing frozen, holding a guitar, also brought to mind an image of him holding an old school boom box above his head with "in your eyes" playing, a la the movie Say Anything lol (...and i just dated myself! just google it. or watch the movie...it's a classic =)
Flag
Oh god I was actually going to do that but I saw someone else making that joke somewhere and I didn't want to seem like I was stealing it. So just went with the frozen one. I am not that young btw and I love that movie.
Flag
You read my mind. I said "Do you wanna build a snowman" when I saw that scene too.
Flag
ha great minds ;) and oops! i had to google it and couldn't believe came out in 1989! no pressure or anything but....can't wait till your finale recap! hehe
Flag
thanks so much for doing this! again! after i watched the episode, i thought, i wouldn't blame her if she didn't touch this one with a ten foot pole. what a grim and heartbreaking episode. it was almost unpleasant to watch, but still so entertaining (kudos, show!). and kudos to you, for making me laugh at it =) it's really a testament to your fantastic sense of humor.
Flag
Thank you, you're so kind! I get really happy when people say they enjoy the recaps. It definitely makes the effort worthwhile.

It was an amazingly heartvreaking episode. I love how the show manages to combine everything so beautifully. It's not entirely grim and tragic, there's hope and beauty in it. Writing is actually insightful and honest about life. Of course it has flaws like anything else but it's still one of the best shows I've ever watched.
Flag
I couldn't count how many good laughs I have had reading your recaps not to mention all the things you mention that got by me during the course of an episode.I'm assuming by all the commenters raving that you understand your efforts don't go unappreciated.
Flag
Thank you, that means a lot!
Flag
I'm seriously impressed with your recaps, thanks a lot! Not an easy episode to do a recap, but you made some effort and even managed to be funny all the way!
Good catch with that mirror or picture right behind Ethan, gotta watch that scene again. Malcolm is a total ass, but he's interesting, Tim Dalton is fantastic and the character fits the show perfectly.
Loved the shooting scene with Ethan and Victor and how Victor was totally into it even when he sucked."Do we have a rifle, too? Do we Do we Do we?"LOL
And Victor is considering to snatch a ballerina to make Caliban a bride? Hmm... Can't wait.
Flag
Thank you, the episodes do get darker and darker so I have to dig a bit deeper sometimes. Thank god the show is well written though, I enjoy it immensely.

Flag
I do not speak latin as well but pretty sure that among Ethan's hidden past... he was a priest at one point...
Flag
A bisexual cowboy werewolf priest is everything I ever wanted in a character.
Flag
I actually canceled my previous comments because I thought I was reading too much into it, but it's useless. I cannot help but think that the implication of Victor's first scene is he thinks that Malcolm could have raped Vanessa.

Anyway, Eva Green performance was brilliant. Hartness's too, I had to watch the Devil scene out of order.

My favorite part of the possession plotline is how it's filtered through Vanessa's psyche, instead of being a flat reincarnation of Evil. They gave the Demon a personality, it's fantastic.

In this episode I liked even Sir Malcolm, who I normally dislike so much. He's still disgusting, but how it was represented was really fascinating.

Flag
I really don't think Victor actually thought that about Sir Malcolm.

He openly asked him because he assumes he would know her intimately. He explains how any recent sexual act might have triggered Vanessa's guilt and shame because Malcolm would only tell him something so private only if he saw it would be useful.

But he didn't seem to be targeting Sir Malcolm for it. Although I don't think Victor would ignore the possibility of anything. What he did was more about giving information on how psychosexual breakdown worked.

I like Sir Malcolm even though he's horrible. Possibly because of the amazing acting and writing.

And I agree with the Devil. I can't wait to know how Amun Ra/Vampire Master/The Devil fit together.
Flag
I don't how serious it was, but he definitely had some suspictions. Try to think back about how Sir Malcolm didn't seem very happy to leave the room, Victor seeing the other room in shambles, about Vanessa's split lip- which she explained as Sembene doing. About how she said that there's often violence when she "goes away", and her reaction.

Particularly remember how what he said, when pressing her for answers about what happened ("What happened downstairs? The room is in shambles.").

I think Victor pressed for questions because he had suspictions, though we never saw them expressed because he saw Vanessa act possessed after- especially with the spiders, a thing he couldn't ignore.
Flag
I don't think Victor meant that either, but I've wondered about that myself, not so much Malcolm forcing her but mostly from when he said something to Ethan in an earlier episode about how he should not resist Vanessa if she goes into one of her episodes, because she becomes very desirable. After seeing what happened after the seance, I figured he thought it safer for someone Known to satisfy her rather than have her prowling the streets to feed the urges brought on by the episodes. And wondered if he'd 'taken care of her' himself at some point. But it's hard to say with him.

He knows what he is and loathes it, just not enough to want to be something different.
Flag
Exactly. That's why I sum it up like "Sometimes I feel things but then I go back to being horrible"
Thankfully it's Timothy Dalton playing him, otherwise the character could be cringe worthy at all times.
At least he's played amazingly.
Flag
I think as a man of facts, he always asks the necessary questions to make sense of what happened without much judgment or assumption but he quickly learned that sense had little to do with it anyway.
Flag
You are probably right and I just become too entusiastic about my thoughts for the episode, I guess.
Flag
When I finally watched that harrowing episode, I wondered how the hell you were gonna pull this one off. But you're a handler like Chandler! Needed this today :)

The whole Mina thing is just some kind of guilt-based dogma now, we don't know why we care anymore, we just know we're supposed to. I will also take exception to any of the little family dying because of her. Cannot wait for the finale. (and yes, poor Brona... I suspect it will be a sad homecoming for Ethan)
Flag
Thank you, "handler like Chandler" ahaha

I really think "saving" Mina will cost them. Someone we love will die and there'll be lots of sobbing. I don't want that. Just let her stay with weird faced vampire king.
Flag
Sembene probably agrees. Would like to know more about exactly why he feels obliged to enable Malcom so much. There must be some other motivation, as he does seem committed to the idea of hunting monsters in his own right... but yes, he has a clearer grasp of the cost/benefit ratio in continuing to pursue Mina.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members