A Penny Dreadful Community
Showtime (ended 2016)
Hey guys!

Warning for spoilers!

The episode began with Malcolm and Vanessa discussing her dream about Mina and how she could be in the theater.

Malcolm said he wanted to save Mina even if it meant killing her to end her suffering.

bvlcsnap-2014-07-11-18h58m52s250b1b2
She asks him if that will bring him peace, he basically tells her not to ask stupid questions and leaves to contact the rest of the group to meet that night.
4 5
As always, Vanessa senses a special someone at the door before Sembene comes in.6
Dorian is adorably eager to see her.7
more like:
Vanessa on the other hand seems to be distancing herself from him.8
Dorian tells her he came by while she was eating people's cheeks and they told him she was sick.
9 10 11
Vanessa keeps looking at him as if he's a little kid as he keeps talking nervously. He says he had to travel to keep himself busy while waiting for her to recover. And he wants to do stuff together now that she's okay.12
Vanessa reacts like:
Which confuses Dorian: (lmao his face)14
He keeps pushing:
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 222
Ahaha oh poor Dorian. He just keeps talking faster and faster and suggesting different plans.
Vanessa just gets up and starts to leave while he continues talking and simply not understanding her rejection.
26 25 27
I'm pretty sure he just stood there until Sembene walked in and cleared his throat like "Boy you pretty but you gotta go home."

Then we were back with the Sadness and her pretty, goodhearted, part time shooter, part time exorcist, full time bamf, bisexual + possibly supernatural boyfriend. (I love Ethan, okay)

288 29
It was sad.

Then we saw two people just creeping around Ethan30
Get in line buddy.

In the meantime Malcolm was making sure he had the necessary equipment for vampire hunting.
He got his gun and as he was walking out he saw Madame Kali from the séance.
Their whole interaction was like34 35 36 37 38
She asked him about Vanessa.464748
Malcolm showed signs of actual interest in her. He seemed excited to have feelings.
444549 50 51 39 4041
Basically they flirted like whoa and then he left, telling her they'd see each other later. Madame Kali smiled until he walked out and then just gave him a weird stare so I'm thinking there'll be some ploy there. But we'll have to wait and see.

Then we were with our tragic baby.53 54
Something didn't work out properly and that douche was angry with Caliban.575661 62
Maude felt pretty bad about it so she went to Caliban and brought him an orange.
755 766 777777 812 82283 82344434 63 65 66 676767677676 68 69 70 78 79
Oh Caliban.
I'm pretty convinced that Maude thought of him like a weird little kid who needed to be shown kindness and compassion. After telling him about her brother it was clear to me that he reminded her of him but well, Caliban probably hasn't read a book about friendships between women and men. As far as we know, Maude is the only girl he's ever interacted with and well, an orange and a kiss lead to different hopes for him.

Back at the most normal house in the city:80 81 834 845
Malcolm admitted that seeing his children's photos broke his heart and for some reason he felt the need to remind Vanessa that his heart was a man's heart, not a young girl's. I guess which means they're super valid and real compared to silly girl feelings. (I want someone to slap Malcolm so bad. Can't Sembene just walk in and do that every time he does and says something douchey? Oh okay. That would take all the screentime.)
He proceeded to tell her that he didn't mind feeling bad about all the things he did while she seeked to rid herself of guilt and that he'd sacrifice her anytime for Vanessa.
8923892 8948792389723 29839898 83
Vanessa told him not to hide the photos and let them break his heart if he liked his guilt so much.
And that was an efficient burn.
Caliban was uh... he wanted to look his best for Maude.9091 92 93 95 96 97
He understandably freaked her out when he refused to leave.100 101
Uh oh.
102 104
He stopped himself before things got uglier.
Then he had to leave the theater.105 1055106107
Later we were back with our favorite mystical couple.108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 a1
Actually they talked about how the flower died and it would take fifty years for it to bloom again. Vanessa called it a lifetime but Dorian casually said it would take an instant.
Dorian baby, why so subtle? Thank god no one actually listens to him.
Vanessa asked him if he wanted an explanation for running out. a2
When he didn't she said he never risked anything. He suddenly got passionate and told her he'd risk everything for her. She said no.a3 a45a4 a5a6 a7 a8
He took it really hard.

a9 a10 a11 a12 a14 a15 a16 a18 a19 a20 a21
Ah you guys. It was sad. I know Dorian doesn't make everyone feel all the things yet but he will probably have a bigger part to play in the second season when his immortality can prove to be useful. I think Vanessa will need a lot of help with her exorcism and the vampire master and everything else, so their connection and his feelings for her might even save her somehow, who knows?

I also suspect his story will start to unfold next season so we will hopefully see more depth and more of the tragic parts of him.

What I love is that Reeve's portrayal of Dorian is so eerie sometimes. He looks like he is actually an immortal little boy and it's creepy and charming and that's Dorian in a nutshell.

Read the rest of the recap here

You can follow me at @OzgeBurcakA

48 Comments
Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I've followed your Outlander recaps (which I love!) But just discovered your Penny Dreadful recaps!! So good! Can't wait for season two!!
Flag
Thank you! First recap of season two will be up this week =)
Flag
I work on the post production team for Penny and want you to know we love your photo recaps, they are hilarious!!! We've printed out a few of the best and put them up on our wall of fan art here. Really hope you continue to do them for Season 2!
Flag

Thank you so much! That's so great to hear.

I adore the show. Hopefully I'll get to do the second season as well.
Flag
i really enjoyed this show, cant wait to see what happens next season
Flag
That picture of them with the Christmas tree made my year, yo.
Flag
Thanks for that great recap. I agree this show is very good!
Flag
I've enjoyed your reviews. I'm glad this was finally posted! I enjoyed this new show as well. Perfectly paced to me! I'll be looking out for your reviews next season!
Flag
Thank you!
Flag
I LOVE you. These recaps make my day - I mean I love the show....but these are just....superb; they make me laugh so much and I agree with all you say so you're not alone. Oh and with the cheering part when Ethan (who is my favourite) went wolf and slaughtered those guys? Nope, you were not alone I was cheering so loud that my husband and daughter (16) came to see what was up. I told them. My husband gave me a 'look' and said "you know you're weird right?" I grinned and nodded; my daughter said "did you see the wolf?" I replied "a bit yeah." her response was an impressed nod and "cool. But you are weird; so am I because I kind of would've watched it if you actually saw him dismembering them, throwing strawberry jam at a window just isn't as good....." (she's her mother's daughter).

Timothy Dalton is my second most favourite actor of all time - second only to the late, great Peter O'Toole. Dalton is an excellent actor and he steals the scenes. Glad I'm not alone in my Dalton love.

I still can't get past thinking that &3 is a fart - for a long time I would wonder my family would send e-mails and texts saying 'I &3 u'.........I FART you? Why would you fart someone? Even now I know it means heart, I still see a fart.....like my OH said though, I'm weird. ;)

I am now off to &3 you......
More+
Flag
when chandler wolfed out, i wanted to scream "GOOOAAAALLLL!!!" it was weirdly satisfying, amiright?
Flag
You are indeed, right.....it was completely satisfying. :)
Flag
Thank you! It makes me really happy to hear that I can cheer people up.

Ethan is my favorite too by the way. (Though I adore Vanessa & Victor as well. Actually I adore all of them.)

And Dalton is amazing as Sir Malcolm Murray. I would probably end up hating him if someone else played the character.

Flag
Somehow I managed to miss these recaps til now, great job though :) And you're so right about Dalton...no one else could walk the fine line between being awesome n being a total d-bag.. Cannot wait for the show to return!
Flag
Same here and thank you, glad you enjoyed it.
Flag
You're right about anyone else playing Murray would've made him a lot harder to relate to and certainly would've made the character utterly unlikable. It's like the 'Creature', played by Rory Kinnear. To me at least, he just can't get the emotion into the part - he's over acting sure, all but actually chewing the scenery; but there's NO emotional connection to the character from him unlike the other actors. This leaves his character as just this cold lump of annoyance in the middle of certain scenes - he really jars with the usually impeccable flow of the episodes.

When Victor had the gun to the Creature's head and Kinnear was giving his character's 'big speech', I just wanted Frankenstein to pull the trigger - there's nothing remotely redeemable about Kinnear's character, and certainly nothing sympathetic that has you rooting for him like you do for the others.

This is unlike both Shelley's novel and most of the movies over the years - where the Creature always had the sympathetic element, however slight. Which is unusual considering that all the other characters in 'Penny Dreadful' do have some element to gain the sympathy of the audience.......even the decadent and hedonistic Dorian Gray.

But thank you for your wonderfully entertaining recaps - I'm looking forward to series 2 as much for those as for this excellent show. :) You rock!
More +
Flag
Fantastic recap. i was wondering what happened to it. But you did a great job. The finale was good. A bit expected and predictable but still it is done well. I can't wait for next season. Thanks for the recaps OzgeB.
Flag
Thank you =)
Flag
Your recap are hilarious and better than I remember Price Peterson's recaps ever being.

I love your 'painting' the screencaps or whatever it is you do with them.

Unless all the episodes were shot before the first one aired, I think was happened is this was originally going to be an 8-episode miniseries but then it was picked up for an expanded season 2 and thus things slowed down.
Flag
Thank you!

That makes sense, next season will probably have more action and story development now that we know the characters more intimately.
Flag
Oh, btw, your recap is like a 21sr century version of Mystery Science 3000. Your comments are brilliant and we don't have to suffer through a bad film to enjoy your wit and humor!
Flag
Freakin' brilliant recap! I checked in every day to make sure I wouldn't miss this. And I cackled so loud after each still that I frightened my dog and we both tinkled!
Where to begin? I just &3 this damn show. I am simultaneously horrified/turned on/ mesmerized/ sad/engaged with each and every character. Vanessa and Dorian in the arboretum , Brona dying/ murdered by Victor, Caliban's hopeless soliloquy and Ethan, Ethan,Ethan....so tragically sad. And still I want more! My tv life in now Penny Dreadful, Banshee, Fargo and Walking Dead.
Oh, and I like to think of Ethan as a Wolfman instead of a werewolf. Maybe there is no real difference but I was never scared of a man/ woman who turned into a wolf/dog but I have been traumatized since I was a child of Lon Chaney Jr. turning into the Wolfman in all his movies...especially Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein! Thanks again for your labor of love OzgeB!
Flag
"I am simultaneously horrified/turned on/ mesmerized/ sad/engaged with each and every character."

That sums it up for me as well.

And thank you for the kind words!
Flag
I spent days looking foward to this final season recap. Wonderfully done!
Flag
Thank you, glad you liked it!
Flag
Amazing!! This was well worth the wait. I was so bummed out by the other recap/review by someone else here that I have been waiting for yours to cheer me up. You really get this show and obviously love it as much as most of us do.
It truly is like a long beautiful book full of characters that you both love and hate, sometimes at the same time (Malcolm/Caliban) and those that you simply adore (Vanessa/Ethan - RAWR).
Thanks for an awesome finale recap, I look forward to the next season and hopefully more of your reviews.
*feelings*
&3
Flag
Thank you! I'm so glad it cheered you up!

You know, I understand other people may not enjoy it as much because it's not for everyone. It's also not as easily consumed as other tv shows. It cares more about characters than constant action and twists. It builds slowly and has an otherworldly feel to it.

But for me, gothic literature + quality writing, acting and production is a dream come true.

*feelings* =)
Flag
I am enjoying all the things :) so much fun. Thank you darling girl!
Flag
Thank you =)
Flag
&3&3

feeleings!
Flag
Thanks so much for the recap--and for promising to go back and do the 1st three episodes, as well!!! You can cover my eyes in hearts (pink) while reading your recaps!

I loved Malcolm and Kali's interaction--so spy vs. spy! I hope they "bond" next season without ever trusting each other!

I wish Sembene could have the parts you have written for him, ushering Dorian out, lol, "Boy you pretty, but you gotta go home!", and slapping Malcolm every time he utters doucherie!

Finally, OMG! I hope Dorian gets his mojo back. I felt so sorry for him when love made him revert to an overeager schoolboy, and Vanessa seemed to look at him as his amused but disapproving school mistress. I really want them to be "immortal and immoral together" FOREVER!

Flag
Thank you!

I wish I wrote for the show so I would make Sembene do all this random stuff until they let me reveal his storyline.

And I think they have a big plan for Dorian because less is revealed about him, He has some growing up to do next season. =)

Flag
Dorian's little sad face was so sad that not even your recap made it better. However, I laughed out loud and was asked what the hell was wrong when I read "U have nothing to fear, death is awesome".

Dorian acting as a little boy is actually perfect, though. There's a reason for what Vanessa said, that some people don't have a future, only a past.
He's stuck forever at the pretty boy stage.
Flag
I can't wait to see what part Dorian will play in the story next season. Pretty boy might have to grow up.
Flag
yippeee! so excited to see this =D i practically stood up and clapped like a seal when i saw you posted! thanks for doing these hilarious and insightful recaps.
Flag
Ahaha thank you! I'm happy to hear you like them!
Flag
I love your recaps! It's something to laugh about after each episode (in contrast to something to cry about). Your sense of humour reminds me of Allie from Hyperbole and a Half. Love it! Please, continue and do the first episodes!
Flag
Thank you! I will do all three. =)
Flag
Totally worth the wait! Fabulous recap that was funny & sad, insightful & whimsical, beautiful and ugly…..It was everything (and all things good).

Random: I want Vanessa's dress and got distracted trying to figure out if it was tape lace, tatting, or soutache….

Ethan & Dorian…..both make me salivate and hyperventilate;-) lol

Thank you!
Flag
So happy you liked it! Thank you =)

Flag
Follow this Show
Members