A Penny Dreadful Community
Showtime (ended 2016)
And so tonight the series takes a step back from taking a step back with last week's step back. To give us an extended flashback about why Vanessa is responsible for Mina, has powers of some sort, and is working with Malcolm to find and (possibly) cure Mina. Presumably they got word that they had been renewed for a second year--if they didn't know it all along--and decided that they could slow down the show's pace even more. Either that, or they've filmed the last three episodes at double speed.

"Closer Than Sisters" is basically a follow-up to a lot of the comments that Vanessa dropped when she was possessed during the séance in "Séance." Vanessa witnessed Malcolm having an affair with her mother, and Vanessa seduced Mina's first fiancé. A weakling Peter died in Africa seeking his father's approval, and Mina became a vampire.

Exit stage right!

The one big reveal is how Vanessa got her groove on... I mean, how Vanessa got her powers, whatever they are. Basically as a child she gave in to her inner demon, which summoned an outer demon, which took the shape of Sir Malcolm, quoted Keats, and decided to have sex with her. After putting her through a painful few months of demonic possession which involved the Victorian "mental treatments" that they couldn't show in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Ice-water baths, fire hoses, drugs, and brain-drilling.

It's a madhouse! A madhouse!

So apparently seeing your mother having an affair and feeling any kind of sexual excitement turns you into a precognitive demon-summoner. Kids, don't try that at home.

I see with my little eye something that starts with S and ends with X.

It's all very Wuthering Heights, or what people think of when they typically think of Wuthering Heights without reading the novel. Waves crashing on the shore, manors on cliffs (two – count'em, two! manors on cliffs), torrid affairs of the heart, women running hither and yon and falling hopelessly in love with handsome men. Okay, Eva Green writhing naked on a bed with a Sigourney Weaver/Aliens 3 haircut probably isn't Wuthering Heights, but you get the idea.

There do seem to be some missing scenes. Vanessa says that Malcolm doesn't know death like the death that she's seen, but we don't see that she sees any death. You see? Presumably she means the visions that she had about slaves drowning in the ocean (which kind of comes out of nowhere), but this isn't at all clear. And I wouldn't really compare that to killing dozens of men personally. And then one minute Vanessa is getting her head drilled, the next she's back home without any kind of transition.

Really, that's it. There's nothing on Dorian, Ethan, Brona, or Frankenstein and his creation, and just a blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance by Sembene. I did find it amusing when Malcolm told Vanessa that Sembene will see her to her new quarters, when she has no idea who the hell he is. Neither does the audience, really.

So while the episode isn't critical to watching the series and it advancing the storyline, it does fill us in on Vanessa's backstory, give us a lot of dark psycho-sexual stuff (Dr. Banning even refers to it as such) that was promised, and gives Eva Green a demo reel to hand to the Emmy people when she enters the competition next time. And she gets to wear a really cool jacket to the insane asylum.

And the Emmy goes to...

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
Comments (101)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I can't believe this show has so many fans...it's so badly written...this character, as many others, is not realistic, incoherent. This background story fits awfully with the beginning of the season. There's so much I don't like about the show that I can't write down, but what shocks me is how many people still likes this bullshit anyway....
Flag
Different tastes a guess. I for one find it incredibly well written, this episode most of all. I mean "You think you've walked on corpses? Spread them from here to the horizon, and I have walked further", a delightful Victorian "Ya brunt". Of course Eva Green deserves all the praise for breathing life into her characters with such a rare talent, but the other protagonists are not without merit, even when they act in the most despicable ways. That Frankenstein is quite formidable. To make it short, I watched the first season three times with growing delight, if that's even possible that it can grow more, and I'm looking forward to a second season.
Flag
* Well, this isn't a 2-hour movie. This show relatively has an almost extreme pace.

* And getting back-story on the characters is a good thing. We now know more about Vanessa Ives and Victor Frankenstein than we do about any of the characters on Veep and that we ever learned about any of the characters on Breaking Bad. In Rome, we get relatively little back-story for certain characters.

Even still in Penny Dreadful, pretty much all we know about Sir Malcolm Murray is that he's a rich dude who became an explorer, got knighted, had an affair with Vanessa's mother, his son died, and his daughter was turned into a vampire. We still don't even know why Malcolm Murray was rich and why the Iveses are rich.

And in terms of class, Mina was going to marry some officer in the British military and Vanessa was going to marry the son of a rich explorer. Their families were very rich even though they don't seem to be members of the aristocracy, don't seem to be industrialists, etc.

Flag
The Victorian era in which Penny Dreadful is supposed to be set ran from 1837 (Victoria's coronation) until 1901, but there seem to be historical anomalies that make it confusing to figure out when the story is taking place. The Penny Dreadful style first appeared in 1832 and reached its heyday by the time Varney the Vampyre was first published in 1847. Van Helsing shows a copy to Victor which could not have been printed later than 1861. Sir Malcolm refers to someone who was injured in the Sepoy rebellion in India which took place in 1857. Dorian Gray has quite a collection of high quality phonograph recordings. Edison only invented it in 1878 and it was not widely marketed for several years. Vanessa and Dorian are listening to a fine recording of the Flower Duet from Lakme which had its very first performance in 1883 and it is safe to assume no recording could have been made until quite some time after that. Ethan has left a Wild West show to join the vampire hunt, but Wild West shows were not touring England much until the early 20th century. So I think either all the characters (not just Dorian) are MUCH older than their appearance would suggest or the writers are taking great license with history.
More+
Flag
It takes place in 1891
Flag
I always thought that Penny Dreadful was set around 1891 or 1892. I just finished binged watching the show from eps. 1-7 over 3 days and really liking the show.
At the beginning of ep.1 when Ethan was having his Wild West show, I thought it was mentioned that it was 1891; either on the Wild West banner or a caption on the show to let us viewer know what year it is - can't remember which.
But as Gislef mentioned I think the show is "aiming for a general feel in a fictionalized setting rather than historical accuracy."
Flag
And Ethan claimed to have participated in the Battle of Little Big Born, which was 1876.

However, the show isn't set in our reality, either. Unless there's vampires, werewolves, and undead reanimated corpses running around... :) Not to mention people named Frankenstein. I image it is aiming for a general feel in a fictionalized setting rather than historical accuracy.
Flag
What do you MEAN "Unless there's vampires, werewolves, and undead reanimated corpses running around."
Aren't there?
Flag
If there were, then I'd imagine Showtime would be advertising it as a British drama, not supernatural. ;)
Flag
Not a good job in telling Vanessa's back story. Yeah they told us what happened but it was boring and didn't have the intensity of the previous episodes. I'm still confused is she possessed or just open more to the spirit? If she's possessed then why is she helping Sir Malcome instead of bringing death to the world? If she is possessed then by whom? So Ahmet Ra needs to to house Ah Net or him? Sad for one minute I thought a show could avoid a terrible episode since the season was so short.
Flag
Yeah, go ahead and drop the "Penny" from the show title after that episode
Flag
I can say with the utmost honesty, that I didn't give a shit about this episode or her character. Personally, I find her boring. That seance took forever and it would have had the same effect or an even better effect on the viewers had it not gone on and on and freaking on. I wanted Dorian, Ethan, Frankenstein and Dracula. Anyone else except an ep. dedicated to her dreary ass. Yes, she's a great actress, but the character just does nothing for me.
Flag
Well I do not know if it has been mentioned before but Dalton played Heathcliff in the 70's! And he was in Jane Eyre too!

He's quite the handsome devil LOL and would you believe he just turned 70 too!!!

You mention Sigourney Weaver's haircut, but actually Green reminded me of Winona Ryder instead (Alien: Resurrection)

Anyway, Eva Green is simply amazing! I was spellbound!

I did miss a bit the rest of the characters and... say, I think this was the first time Sembene actually said something even if it was in another language. Or am I wrong?

Did you know that "electric therapy" is still practiced? It's supposed to work for some people... I still think it's barbaric!
Flag
ECT is often efficacious for major depression if medications aren't effective. However now the patients are sedated and given paralytics so they aren't awake and don't hurt themselves. It's just a procedure (very helpful for a select patient population) and it's just the history of it that attaches the negative connotations (barbaric)
Flag
I totally understand: an acquaintance of mine went through it and he says it's the only thing that has worked for him (that is how I know it is still used). I still thing it's dreadful. Hopeful they will find different ways to treat the imbalance in the future, and then it will be a thing of the past.

I do understand we are not there yet...
Flag
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers Dalton played both Heathcliff (70s) and Mr Rochester (80s). I personally thought he played Rochester the best. I had a huge crush on him in those years (my misspent youth) and to hear he's now turned 70 makes me feel even older than I am....lol. (I'm 48).
Flag
I hear yah! Little younger but I watched Dalton in the 90's (video cassettes) when I was perfecting my English! ;-P
Flag
You couldn't have used anyone better for it; his voice......*sigh* ;)
Flag
LOL! LOL! LOL! I hear yah!

Flag
Leave it to Logan to give us an hour of backstory and leave us with more questions than we had going in.

Why has Amunet "chosen" Vanessa?
I have a strange feeling that this has more to do with Sir Malcolm then he lets on. It is quite possible that he is Vanessa's actual father*. And something he has done on his journeys has cursed him and his family. It would explain his all encompassing anger at Vanessa over what happened (guilt).

Was Vanessa actually possessed by Amunet in the hospital?
Amunet would know the body she was possessing, wouldn't she? Is it possible it was another spirit? One who had seen what happened on the slave ship? As a "medium" she seems easily touched by many spirits and opening that door inside herself could explain her madness.

I'm reminded of Children of Dune. Alia kept ingesting "spice" in an attempt to chase the future. But she only succeeded in allowing all the other consciousness' inside of her to gain hold inside her head. Eventually she became partially possessed by the "spirit" of her grandfather. Who communicated with her much in the same way Vanessa did with Amnuet/Malcolm.

What happened in the 1+ years between Peter going to Africa and Vanessa meeting Mina on the beach?
How much time has passed? And where is Jonathan?

*I told you he was sleeping with Vanessa's mother :)

P.S. I also loved that coat that Vanessa wore to the hospital!
More+
Flag
Ok but just to add here that Amun-Ra was not the devil... more like Zeus for the Egyptians (king of gods)... And Amunet is the female hidden one, sometimes the female side of Amun, sometimes goddess of air and invisibility
Flag
For love, oh love, oh love, oh love....still falls the rain....sorry, I'm a huge fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula and those scenes in the maze garden had Annie Lennox' Lovesong for a Vampire ringing in my ears....

Also, Eva Green. Somebody give this lady an Emmy already!
I have always loved her, but I'll never look at her the same way...I believe I'll need a trepanation myself yet.
Flag
Sir Malcom came off as a huge ass this episode...
Flag
That's how I felt too. Like it was cool that you were cheating with Vanessa's mom but was upset that Vanessa slept with your daughter's fiance? Ever heard of karma?!
Flag
yup. I mean it fits the time and all but damn... what a hypocrite!
Flag
So, Vanessa is Lucy's predecessor. And she saved her from the dashing captain so she could marry Harker the clerk.

A tale of a very tragic youth.
Earlier, a lot of us were clamoring about wanting to know more about Vanessa's past and her connection to the Murrays. We certainly got that. But it was not what I, for one, expected. Nor did it disappoint.

I wonder how they came to the conclusion that tying someone to a wall and hosing them down with cold water from a fire hose would help cure insanity. I am sure they had the best of intensions, but I am baffled as to why they would think that it would help.
Flag
I've read books on ancient medicine and Elizabethan to Victorian medicinal practices and apparently ice baths and cold water 'showers' (being shackled to a wall and hosed down) were considered to 'shock' the mind back to normality. It was almost like a predecessor to the ECT (Electro Convulsive Therapy) and, to my mind at least, was almost as barbaric.

Consider me another member of the 'Vanessa's Mad House Coat' Fan Club. :)
Flag
I have mixed feelings about the episode. I love back stories to get to know characters better, but it needs to add to the story. I could have lived with the series without knowing what I got to now this episode, unless it plays an important role in the next ones.
Flag
The revelations in this episode where underwhelming, but I got the one I wanted most in the series giving context to Vanessa and Malcolm's relationship. Their respective betrayals (Vanessa sleeping with Mina's fiancé, and Malcolm with Vanessa's mother) were stereotypical soap opera fare, and like you said @Gislef, for an episode designed to enlighten us on these characters' past, we were left with little more explanation to them. I still don't understand why some mysterious supernatural being has such an affinity for Vanessa, or how it came into her life. I still don't know what Malcolm does for a living and why he spends so much of his time with in Africa. Also, where's Malcolm's wife now? And Vanessa's father?

Despite all this though I still found it enjoyable nonetheless. The series is just so captivating for me personally. Even in last week's episode, which many have stated progressed little to no storyline whatsoever, a combination of the scenery, costume, music, dialogue, and themes... it just has such a great feeling and look to it that makes me partial to liking it no matter what.
Flag
I assumed Malcolm was from old money (independently wealthy)--did you see his manor by the sea? His adventuring is likely a hobby. I can see him belonging to some intellectual gentlemen's club that discusses sociology, archeology, maybe even mysticism depending on the era, etc...in addition to the usual stuff that takes place at gentlemen's clubs
Flag
I haven't seen this episode yet, but was it just reading the TV.com discussions or was it said that Malcolm was a rich 'adventurer' (ie, the Alain Quartermain of this piece)?
Flag
I think adventurer/explorer is one of those old-timey occupations that a lot of people don't know about unless they watch older movies or are famliar with the literature of the time. Even Indiana Jones isn't really an "explorer" per se.

It's a genre that's dried up a lot faster and thoroughly than Westerns.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I loved it, Eva Green is absolutely fantastic. And no Caliban, yay! That storyline bores me to tears.
Flag
ok, I re-watched it an apparently missed the last 1/2 to 1/4th of the episode the first time around.
It's not seeing her mom and Malcolm having sex that summons the demon (or lucifer or whatever) but it is staying to watch it because you like it. That's what I got out of it. Also hearing the whisperings and then listening to it and giving it attention brings it more to life. Then giving it a name and accepting it. Some parallel to what she said about taxidermy and witches' spells (naming the creation to give it life).

So was it Satan or a demon? Did her Catholic faith play a role in this? She seemed possessed at times (like in the hallway and with Mina's fiancé and with the psychiatrist when she even asked who Vanessa was and then spoke "demon" language (lol but pretty cool)

What's up with the surgeon just drilling the hole, pressing then he looks up with a weird expression? Can you @Gislef @Mate @edshrinker @thatstp @edge1710 @LadyMargot @Endgame65 or anyone answer that? It's really bugging me. It seemed like maybe he knew she was possessed. Didn't he have a clue when she asked who was Vanessa? He just stopped drilling the skull and didn't seem to go past the skull. Weird he went in through the temporal bone instead of the orbital-frontal region. Out of all the questions, and I have tons, why did the surgery appear to stop before it was done? Maybe it was done but the surgeon had a really weird expression at the end imo.

"External demon" said something about her giving up her knowledge of men and also something that sounded like her giving up her connection to "the other world" (ghosts or visions or both). It seems like she can talk to the dead, see the future (at least Peter's death), get special visitors (demons/satan, physical manifestations of astral projections or whatever form Mina visited her in), be possessed and who knows what else. It seemed like she sold her sole to the devil after accidentally letting the devil inside and then liking it (being confused by it) and then accepting it (was she deceived or manipulated or fooled….but it was still her choice, wasn't it)
More+
Flag
Well trepanation has been used in more primitive cultures with who knows what kind of mixed success where drilling a hole through the skull is thought to "let the demons out" or release pressure on the brain. There is also a school of thought that it can increase the mental faculties of the brain and some people or groups willingly had the procedure performed on themselves (see movie Pi or show Elementary where Sherlock considers it) I think the idea is to pierce the membrane that surrounds the brain and allow blood to enter and some believed oxygenated blood advanced the brains efficiency and senses. With the way the drill was removed I believe the surgeon got through the skull and perhaps was examining the blood for consistency/coloration and surface of the wound to ensure his effort was successful.
Flag
it was the "surgeon's" expression that intrigued me…he stopped and had a really weird expression. If he had stopped and looked/acted normal I don't think I would be questioning as much.
Great info!
Flag
From what I understand, she let the demon in when Vanessa had sex with Mina's fiance, Captain something. She went on a downward spiral after that. Having sex with Sir Malcolm (the demon) sealed the deal. I could be wrong though. Still not sure what her powers are, and what she is exactly. Half demon other than just a medium?
Flag
I think she was possessed once Malcolm shut the door on her. She was hearing voices before or right after that scene and when she gave in to lust she opened herself up to the demon and possessed her. The scene where the doctor stopped the procedure - I honestly thought that there was something in her head that moved. When he pressed the wound, I saw her skull moving.
Flag
I have the same questions swirling in my head too. I also thought that maybe she was possessed when she had sex with Mina's fiance but looking back, she wasn't. It hadn't happened yet. She was definitely possessed when she was talking to the doctor. Idk...this show has way more questions than answers.
Flag
maybe she was partially possessed. She looked eire when standing in the shadows of the hallway waiting for the fiancé and then the look in her eyes during sex (she had been a virgin) looked possessed (lol, like I know what possessed looks like). Clearly she was "fully" possessed when talking to the doctor but I think she was possessed (partially or fully) when with the fiancé. Sure she talked to him about mirrors behind the eyes but I'm not convinced she was herself (maybe she was "under the influence" or something). Her kissing Mina's cheek and holding her hand in bed also seemed weird but maybe they were more pure in the Victorian times or I just have "dirty" thoughts…lol
Flag
Well she had heard the whispers before that moment. She heard them the night when she caught her Mother and Sir Malcom. So maybe she was being nudged.
Flag
It appeared he stopped the procedure to me. I swear it looked like he was just kind of fingering the wound. IT could be he was applying stitches after - I am not sure. Vicky - you weren't imagining it ...he looked troubled or confused.

I think the sex act with demon/Malcolm was to seal a deal of some sort. He gave her control of her body again (mostly) in exchange for something ...but I couldn't figure out what. Maybe not to reveal some things she discovers with her supernatural powers.
Flag
I got the impression it was supposed to bleed but it wasn't, thus his confusion.

In which case I was confused as well as to the significance of the lack of blood.
Flag
Yeh, head wounds tend to bleed a lot.

I was also perplexed at the scene... it seemed like he stopped and was confused.
Flag
The sex act was to seal the deal. In order to redeem herself from Mina's eyes, she needs to get her back but without any method of getting there, she tapped the voices in her head and let it take over hence she now has "senses"
Flag
he got her soul and she got the sight (can talk to the dead, see the future and who knows what else). I don't think she has full control of her powers and I'm not sure she can focus the power. I find it all very intriguing!
Flag
I agree, but the question for me is why the demon did the exchange.
Flag
it likes souls?
Flag
Generally in christian mythology it is an exchange of the soul. But if this is Egyptian mythology so who knows. The archaeologist said that they were dealing with "Amunret" who was close to Amun Ra but that ate souls. Perhaps she sold her soul to him or traded it away and they want her for her supernatural powers. Or Amunret is the Master and is pissed at the devil and wants someone to barter with. Either way it is an interesting and complicated plot line which I kind of like.
Flag
Normally I go nuts searching for answers - but for whatever reason...I'm OK not knowing for now.
Flag
Yea, the way they are telling this story might be slow for some. But I like that they are keeping the mystery of it despite still revealing a bit.
Flag
Well the "surgeon" using that term very loosely was performing a type of Leucotomy (lobotomy). It looked like the American version where they went in through the bone where the frontal bone right above the sphenoid. Which is kind of a mistake because that method wasn't really used until the 1930s. Likely they did this so that we could still see her face. However, the thing that struck me was that there wasn't really any bleeding. I have had face and head cuts and the capillaries as you know bleed like crazy. Even when he depressed her skin which would normally cause it to bleed more, there was still no blood. The only time that really happens is when the person has been dead for a while. That would pretty much stop a surgeon from doing anything.
Flag
I don't think it was supposed to be a lobotomy. It looked more like some kind of trepanning to me.
The lack of blood was intriguing, though.
Flag
I would have gone for that if it had been earlier in the past. During that time in the victorian era, lobotomies were becoming more common place. This is the end of the 1800's as we know because of Vanessa called out Ethan about he being too young to have fought in the Battle of Little big Horn with Custer, which was in 1876. And trepanning as a "treatment" kind of fell out of use in the mid 1800s.

Now it could have been a transition period, I mean at that point in time it was way before the Italians coming up with going through the eye socket. They would have had to us a trephine to cut a hole in the skull ,which is in a way trepanning, in order to access the areas where they would either inject a solution to lobotomize the subject or surgical tools in order to attempt to remove brain tissue.

But I just don't know if the trepanning was the only thing he was going to attempt.
Flag
Oh yes. A lot deeper. And good pick up on the possible year that they are in.
Flag
I know practically nothing about brain surgery, I just thought you had to go deeper than what we saw the doctor doing to perform a lobotomy.

As to when it takes place. Earlier we saw an image that looked a lot like this through Ethan's window. Which puts it in 1892 or -93.
Flag
And I think the lack of bleeding is why Dr. Banning was confused.
Flag
What leads me to ask ...is her body actually dead? Simply animated by a demon. It would explain her gift and the demon could leave her personality intact. Supernatural has done this.

I know - a stretch, but a helluva twist.
Flag
Not really, the lore and legend with this is massive and they could be pulling from several places for content. I was on a plane over the weekend and The Exorcist was playing and if you go with the whole possession rots the skin thing then if wouldn't really bleed due to necrosis.

I don't think it is currently inhabiting her. I think there was a brief moment when they were playing with the tarot card reader, because as some say using those is a door to the other world and it briefly entered into her to antagonize Sir Malcom, that and have sex with some random dude on the street. Demons/ devils are crazy horny.

Flag
Eva crazy horny.

Awesome concept!
Flag
it's the temporal bone (if I remember the location of it near the external auditory canal and given my history I wouldn't trust my memory since I didn't remember the last half of the show and had to re-watch it)~regardless~excellent point about the lack of bleeding like she is dead and maybe that is why he stopped and had a weird look on his face. Heck I've given tons of botox injections for prevention of chronic migraine and seen way more bleeding (shush~lol).

Strange how he pressed around the "incision" or drill site;-) I was expecting something to come out! I didn't notice the lack of blood because I was thinking about sterilization when he dabbed the little bit of blood that actually welled up with what looked like a dirty cloth napkin! I also wondered how many people had died during the "testing" of this procedure.
Flag
Well ok kids, you now have ruined my evening with all this information. Being on the client side of doctoring I now need a whisky.
Flag
Well I think it is like I said I think they wanted to keep her face in the shot so likely the drilling got pushed back to the temporal bone in order to accomplish that. But I do agree with your initial statement that the British at the time used to go for the frontal bone, then the Italians went through the eye sockets and the Americans went for that rear of the frontal bone and used similar drills, just not as archaic.

But it would freak someone out. Hell I freak out nurses when I don't flinch while getting injections or when I had some shrapnel taken out of my shoulder that migrated close to the surface and said they didn't need to use Lidocaine. Medical personnel freak out easy when they are pulled out of their norms.

As for how many died? Since everyone kind of had their own method, and did it for several years which included the Royal Hospital in Edinburgh when many people were bringing in fresh bodies and even live ones, for the schools to practice on I would imagine the death toll would be in the tens of thousands.
Flag
I thought it was strange that when he pressed where he had just drilled, that there was no blood coming out.
Flag
Vanessa says that Malcolm doesn't know death like the death that she's seen, but we don't see that she sees any death. You see? Presumably she means the visions that she had about slaves drowning in the ocean (which kind of comes out of nowhere), but this isn't at all clear

It was actually very clear. At the end of the exchange she asks, "Who is Vanessa?" The demon was talking and has witnessed more death than Malcolm could ever conceive of. Those memories are with Vanessa now.
Flag
I'm not sure John Logan made that clear. That's certainly one interpretation. Another is, as noted, there's some off-screen killin' by Vanessa between the funeral and her last meeting with Malcolm.
Flag
Honestly I think it is a combination to both. What she's seen and done by way of the demon.
Flag
are you suggesting Vanessa is Jack the Ripper?
Flag
Yeah - that is what I meant. He wasn't the original Ripper but the one doing the knock off murders now.
Flag
I actually thought that would be a nice twist for Mr. Chandler. Maybe fugue state or something. Booze blackout.
Flag
I don't think he was in the country. Jack the Ripper's murder spree was already over at the start of the pilot episode. The current murders are almost sure Chandler.
Flag
"Basically as a child she gave in to her inner demon, which summoned an outer demon, which took the shape of Sir Malcolm, quoted Keats, and decided to have sex with her."
I shouldn't of watched this before going to sleep since I don't remember everything. Am I reading this correctly: her outer demon took the shape of Sir Malcolm and had sex with Vanessa? I remember her and Mina's finance but missed her and Malcolm hooking up.
I will have to re-watch this episode;-)
Flag
never mind~~I just read the comments and I need to re-watch this episode. I did NOT think it was boring but I must of been 1/2 asleep during the last 1/2 of the episode
Flag
You forgot about this?

You must have been sleeping :-)
Flag
I don't think anyone here said it was boring. It just told us a lot of stuff that didn't have a bearing on the storyline. Or the stuff it did tell us we already knew, just not in as much detail.
Flag
Well it kind of did. She is the devil's favorite. There is something about her that the vampires want. Her having previous encounters, so to speak, with Beelzebub himself kind of lends partly to what they are seeking about her.

It answered a bit about her past, but still left a lot open for them to fill in with later seasons. I kind of like that. Plus a whole episode of Eva Green being amazing is kind of yummy.

Flag
I think it sort of does have bearing on the story - certainly more than that last "surprise" scene from the previous episode. I frankly don't care who or how many people these guys/gals screw around with - just tell me more about the story. More about who/what the Ripper is (less about Frankenstein's creation - he's boring me), more about the Master and his link to the Egyptian myths, more about how they are going to find/Kill the Master and deal with the situation with Mina. At least with this back story on Vanessa it sort of explains her actions at the party and why dark things seem to be attracted to her. Still think this episode should have been one of the first.
Flag
by saying it was "not boring" was to explain that I must of fallen asleep because I was sleepy and not because it was boring
Flag
Are you kidding me?
This was another one of the finest hours of television, Eva Green telling a story is meszmerizing. I could have listened to her for hours!
And how come, ab background story is nowadays "slow" not to say "boring"?
Why does it always have to be action, action, action, some more gore, throw a rat in there?
Are all the people watching TV these days on some sort of attention deficit?
Shows like these take time to unravel, the build up, not every episode is blod and gore, it doesn't need to be.

I was perfectly entertained, Eva Green is magnificent, a wonderful story has been told, characters came togehter, the plot thickened.

WHAT is it, that YOU want?
Flag
Agree - I got more from this episode than I did the one before it. At least now I know why vanessa is the way that she is. And frankly I'm getting tired of the story dragging along with blood, gore and sex (in all variations) and not much story. This episode should have been one of the first shown - not one of the last.
Flag
I don't think it's about action , action, action but more about the overall pace of the show. I, too, enjoy Eva Green but her story could have been told in about 20 minutes with something else happening in the current time to move the show along. There doesn't have to be blood and gore (personally I don't like all that gore) to move things forward but nothing has really happened in the last couple of episodes.
Flag
A couple of thoughts on this episode:

1) Is it possible that Sir Malcolm is Vanessa's Daughter. And that is the daughter the son said he saw with "Sir Malcolm" - actually the demon?
2) Why does the demon need Mina to get to Vanessa, if Vanessa was in "congress" with him (if you get my meaning).

I agree that the jumping around was off, I prefer for this episode it be linear.

Flag
Let's at last say: interesting thought. If so, the question is waht consequences it has.
Flag
Depending on the length of time Vanessa's mother and Sir Malcolm were having their trysts, he could very well be her father.
Flag
#1 is a good question. I don't remember what was said by the son through Vanessa. I'm going to have to go back and watch Seance to jog my memory.
Flag
I liked the background on Vanessa and Malcolm. I was a little pissed that Vanessa chose to say something to her mother but didn't check Sir Malcolm about how screwing her mother might have been another way he could have torn his family apart.

I agree there was some jumping around which made trying to follow a timeline a tad difficult. You just had to kinda go with it. I'm thinking that some of the death Vanessa had seen happened off screen during the time it took her hair to grow back. When her mother dies she had a buzz cut, when she visited Sir Malcolm she had long luscious looks once again.

I was happy that there was a break from Caliban because that storyline bores me but I was hoping for something on Ethan. Like some kind of confirmation on the werewolf thing.

Only 3 episodes left and it seems to be moving slower...if that is possible.
Flag
It's certainly possible she actually killed some people between the funeral and her meeting with Malcolm. But it seems like a copout. Let's have a flashback to deal with some hinted-at unseen stuff from the past. And then in the flashback include more hints to other unseen stuff from the past.
Flag
Totally agree.
Flag
Good overall review, basically nothing important happened in this episode. Her mother died, she joins Malcolm, but all the major things just weren't answered. Her first vision, but what about all the crap with darkMalcolm/demon? What happened between her mother dying and walking on the beach and seeing Mina? This to me was a waste of an hour with no real development. If they keep this up I'm going to start skipping episodes and I'm sure I not going to miss much.
I guess when it comes down to it this episode made no real progress and didn't have anything to do with what I feel are the more interesting parts of the show. Forgive me if asylum scenes don't make a good show. Honestly I don't think they make good acting as it's a cheap shot. I'm waiting for the show to actually make some forward progress or else I won't be watching season 2.
Flag
Insane asylums do seem to be the go-to- over the last couple of years for horror. American Horror Story, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, now Penny Dreadful.
Flag
Insane asylums have always been pretty horrific.

Can anyone think of a single instance where one has been shown in a positive light?
Flag
When clients are non-responsive in therapy - I still go right to the brain drill.

What?
Flag
I like to turn into a ghost and try them out sexually to see hat response I get.
Flag
I go right for the old school electroshock therapy. None of this new stuff.
Flag
Damn right. (removes belt) Here - bite on this
Flag
I prefer trepanning myself.
Flag
@Vicky8675309 No, I suppose the three eyes raven will do the trick
Flag
Actually I go with trefinating. No, I just hop in the chair and hit the switch that drops the arm and transfers the other person's brain fluid to me and makes me smarter.

Oh, wait, that's a Friday the 13th episode...
Flag
do you have to use a mirror when doing it to yourself;-)
Flag
This show shocks me everytime I watch it. I LOVE IT Lol
Flag
Follow this Show
Members