A Penny Dreadful Community
Showtime (ended 2016)
It's a funny thing. I read episode reviews all the time & figure, "Ah hell, I can do that!" but, when I actually sat down to do it, I went all ten shades of blank.

Still, It's too late to turn back now, so I gotta do something at least, yeah?

For the record, this thing certainly didn't end up as a review. That's for sure.

Well...After months and months of anticipation, watching Penny Dreadful for the first time was like finally going out to dinner with that woman who moved into the apartment right across the hall from you last year. She's obviously beautiful, and comes off as intelligent and interesting those times here and there when you ran into each other and spent a couple of minutes exchanging small talk.

You're into the same books and you seem to have a lot in common.

You're happy when she gives you her number and you look forward to going out & all, but the closer the night gets, you can't help but begin to feel some anxiety about the whole thing and you begin to wonder, "What if I've been pining for so long that I've set my expectations too high?" "What if we get off on the wrong foot & it doesn't work out?...What if I fart? Will she hear it? That might be kinda awkward."

Ok. So, this is pretty much what happened in a nutshell:

I met up with Penny Dreadful outside the restaurant a couple of minutes before our reservation, because I was nervous & just had to get a few things out in the open. I looked her in the eye & said, "Hey, before we do this, I just gotta be flat-out honest with you...I know this is only our first time out together, and this may sound a little creepy, but I've had my eye on you for a long time now...Just to let you know, I've been checking you out on your network blog and watching the videos on your youtube channel for months now, and to tell you the truth, deep down, even though this is probably too soon to say, I honestly and truly believe that we were made for each other and I think I may already be in love with you."

She just nodded, took a step towards me & said, "Yeah, ok. Now what?"

After a few long seconds, I took a deep breath and just barreled on:

"Look, I watch a lot of TV, and most of the shows I hook up with are just there for a cheap and easy good time for about an hour. Although there have been a handful of shows over the years that I felt everything for and gave all of myself to, I've been burned so many times in the past by those programs, that I need to tell you right here and now: If you're thinking of breaking my heart, you, and your little black dress should turn away now and go before it's too late for me."

Just then, at 9:00 on the dot, She offered me a wicked misfits smile, took me by the hand, and led me away from the restaurant, towards this dingy, low-rent tenement building down the street.

I watched her rip a woman out of a second story window, and heard her murder a screaming kid.

Yeah...It's too late for me now. I can't escape this, and I don't want to. I'm a witness now, and I like it.

By the end of the night, standing together in her doorway, she pulled up her dress, flashing me her credits with a sly smile and asked, "Can we do this again next week?" ...I took a step towards her, smiled back, lifted her chin, leaned in very close and whispered, "Yeah. sure." then quickly turned the channel in an attempt to try and make my exit seem suave & casual.

& By the way y'all...Don't go telling her this, but I know now for a fact that Penny Dreadful truly "gets me" and I'm really excited and can't wait to see her again...almost to the point where it kinda scares me, Y'know?
35 Comments
Comments (35)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
She really has a potty mouth and likes to use the "C" word in episode 2. So if you have sensitivities toward that sort of thing, prepare yourself for the next date.
Flag
Hmmm...Carrot? Creole? Carcinogen? OH! WAIT!!!!...potty mouth is clearly a clue, correct?
What other word could she conceivably have crafted, if not "Crap?" heh! ;P

& yeah, I watched ep 2 about three days ago & OMG!!!! Price is right!

It's still too soon to gush about it though, huh? :(

I can at least say I was riveted by it the whole time.

...you know. With rivets & everything =D
Flag
That had to hurt. Unless it was a cute way of saying you were frogged. Rivet.

Gush. I am. I think it is fantastic. OMG poor Proteus! My jaw litterally hit the floor. I knew he was too sweet to be "Frankenstein's MONSTER!!

I look forward to your next review!
Flag
Hey Y'all? Real quick I just wanted to say thank you. I really didn't expect all the positive comments : /

I'm honestly humbled by it...so seriously, thanks guys!
Flag
i hate to say this but beside the artistic license of the review this feels like an excuse for not meeting a strange woman in a dark alley. Could be a pure fantasy except for you mentioning Penny D. Hahaha the funny thing i finished reading it and liked it except i have no clue how could this pass as a review. But nice work.
Flag
heh! it's not supposed to pass as a review since it's not a real review ::shrug::

I originally intended it to be one when I sat down to begin, & I had a few throw away false starts, but I just couldn't do it in the end.

Basically, I just 'fuck it' & ran with the notion that I wanna read something I've never seen here before, & ended up with this.

I just shrugged & said, "Yeah. I suppose this'll do." ;)
Flag
This was a very interesting approach to reviewing a new show, and you know what? It totally works! Well done Marburg66, I was debating starting the show, but your first date has given me the extra push I needed.
Flag
Excellent comment Marburg66
Flag
Loved the post so I will avoid making snarky comments dating patterns... But yeah, dating Penny Dreadful is all sorts of wrong but feels SO right... right?
Flag
heh! I know exactly what you mean ;)

::drops voice down as low as it can go::

Penny, this goes out to you babeh:

I know it's only been a week, but do you guys think she might think I'm coming off as clingy?

Oh! Also, is it wrong for me to be kinda jealous of Californicaton? I know I shouldn't be, but I am, honestly...They both air on the same night on the same network & workplace romances are a pretty common thing y'know

::shrug::
Flag
I tried to comment on your funny and absolutely convincing review telepathically but instead failed miserably.
So in written words(gosh is that mundane!): well done Marburg, and I congratulate you to your successful first date.
I hope she is not talking all the time about seances or spitting blood in your face next time you 2 meet. And even if she does, Dr Victor F. will help her in the end so that any possible doubt will be suspended.

Flag
"I hope she is not talking all the time about seances or spitting blood in your face next time you 2 meet."

That second part up there? Strictly between you & me, I can admit that because of this one show I was watching for a while about 7 or 8 years ago, I've been kinda into that sort of thing ever since

Flag
Oh Marburg, why can't you ever meet a nice, normal, church going librarian?
Don't forget to bring protection on your next date!
Flag
How about a Library going church girl?
Flag
Can I bring a nice, normal, church going librarian along with next time?

It might be interesting to see what happens...It could be messy! :)

Wait.
There's a double meaning in that : /

Flag
I have a gif that is the perfect response but for some reason, when I upload it the image gets blurry and then half of it disappears.
urgh so angry.....
Flag
Oh, fiddlesticks! I wanna be able to not unsee it, damnit!
one way or the other...Gimmeh!! :)
Flag
wait. I'm kinda confusing myself.
I don't really want to not unsee it...I wanna see it so I can never unsee it after seeing it.
See?
Flag
And a few weapons...
Flag
Kinky!
Flag
I could say something about the show, but I've done that in other reviews. You deserve a different comment: brilliantly done! Loved reading how you went through this experience and in such an original way!
Flag
Normally i don't like shows about vampires, but this one is going to be really good and scary.... I hope everyone will enjoy it.....
Flag
The problem with most vampire shows is all too many of them seem to follow the same format for the most part. Storylines and locations vary, but its often the overly attractive but tortured romantic trying to make peace with himself while you have the equally attractive counterpart who indulges their nature and tries to convinced the other its okay to be who they are, only to later change sides, find someone they can love and be a voice of reason when the tortured soul loses his way and accepts himself in all his monstrous glory, etc...
Flag
"The problem with most vampire shows is" nothing that I'm familiar with, as I fully expect the sub-par clones to be as you describe them - and therefore only watch a select-few, while choosing to find time for other things - when the garbage shows are on, or getting released.

A lot of time, on different message boards, people war over how someone can talk trash about a show.. It's because it falls into the cliche-plot-everything and it's a waste of our time and insulting to the viewers; blah, they get no love.

Anyway, still gonna have to see if PD's gonna be any good - or if it's getting passed-on. Just easier, that way. =)
Flag
Lighten up, Francis.
Flag
I say that with a smile, my friend. I've heard the same on occasion.
Flag
That's just an issue with the zeitgeist though. Everything moves in a big circle, & for decades now, we've been saturated by the view of the sympathetic vampire anti-hero that tries to maintain humanity as he fights the beast of his nature.
It's a great outlook & makes for an excellent evolution within the genre, but this year, more than any other so far, I've noticed the zeitgeist truly beginning to come back full circle.
I'm sure I said this before somewhere at some point, but when it gets to a point when teenage girls scream for vampires in pop culture out of boy-band desire, as opposed to screaming out of fear, The world is more than primed for a return to basics

Now is the time for Monsters to become Monsters again...& Penny Dreadful isn't the only one riding that wave right now.

It's a grat thing, IMHO :)
Flag
Brilliant!
Flag
Thank you for this post, it made me laugh so hard. I haven't seen Penny Dreadful yet, since I have to wait until June for it to air in my country, but the way you described it seemed perfect.
Flag
Yeah, long time ago I used to (have to) do this.. Watch what the TV station was airing and deal with the re-runs waiting for fresh content.

Except, just when "Sonny" Crockett was in mortal danger - and I would have waited MONTHS to see what happens: I find out that they're re-airing the first two seasons and also out-of-order and, basically, I'd never find out what happens to him.

Well, I'm happy to say those days are (long) over. We are no longer at the mercy of some twit in charge of such-and-such TV segment.. and his (lack of) purchasing prowess. Cliffhangers and TV producers: don't give 2 ****s about 'em, as I can start watching the show a few seasons-in (for example :)). No longer a slave, while someone else dictates my entertainment.
Flag
LOL! I love this post! I was going to save it for tomorrow (brain dead here) but it was so captivating. Perfect, just perfect!
Flag
You are brain dead everywhere, Vicky. Not just here

;-p
Flag
so true:-P
Flag
Follow this Show
Members