A Penny Dreadful Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on Showtime
It's a funny thing. I read episode reviews all the time & figure, "Ah hell, I can do that!" but, when I actually sat down to do it, I went all ten shades of blank.

Still, It's too late to turn back now, so I gotta do something at least, yeah?

For the record, this thing certainly didn't end up as a review. That's for sure.

Well...After months and months of anticipation, watching Penny Dreadful for the first time was like finally going out to dinner with that woman who moved into the apartment right across the hall from you last year. She's obviously beautiful, and comes off as intelligent and interesting those times here and there when you ran into each other and spent a couple of minutes exchanging small talk.

You're into the same books and you seem to have a lot in common.

You're happy when she gives you her number and you look forward to going out & all, but the closer the night gets, you can't help but begin to feel some anxiety about the whole thing and you begin to wonder, "What if I've been pining for so long that I've set my expectations too high?" "What if we get off on the wrong foot & it doesn't work out?...What if I fart? Will she hear it? That might be kinda awkward."

Ok. So, this is pretty much what happened in a nutshell:

I met up with Penny Dreadful outside the restaurant a couple of minutes before our reservation, because I was nervous & just had to get a few things out in the open. I looked her in the eye & said, "Hey, before we do this, I just gotta be flat-out honest with you...I know this is only our first time out together, and this may sound a little creepy, but I've had my eye on you for a long time now...Just to let you know, I've been checking you out on your network blog and watching the videos on your youtube channel for months now, and to tell you the truth, deep down, even though this is probably too soon to say, I honestly and truly believe that we were made for each other and I think I may already be in love with you."

She just nodded, took a step towards me & said, "Yeah, ok. Now what?"

After a few long seconds, I took a deep breath and just barreled on:

"Look, I watch a lot of TV, and most of the shows I hook up with are just there for a cheap and easy good time for about an hour. Although there have been a handful of shows over the years that I felt everything for and gave all of myself to, I've been burned so many times in the past by those programs, that I need to tell you right here and now: If you're thinking of breaking my heart, you, and your little black dress should turn away now and go before it's too late for me."

Just then, at 9:00 on the dot, She offered me a wicked misfits smile, took me by the hand, and led me away from the restaurant, towards this dingy, low-rent tenement building down the street.

I watched her rip a woman out of a second story window, and heard her murder a screaming kid.

Yeah...It's too late for me now. I can't escape this, and I don't want to. I'm a witness now, and I like it.

By the end of the night, standing together in her doorway, she pulled up her dress, flashing me her credits with a sly smile and asked, "Can we do this again next week?" ...I took a step towards her, smiled back, lifted her chin, leaned in very close and whispered, "Yeah. sure." then quickly turned the channel in an attempt to try and make my exit seem suave & casual.

& By the way y'all...Don't go telling her this, but I know now for a fact that Penny Dreadful truly "gets me" and I'm really excited and can't wait to see her again...almost to the point where it kinda scares me, Y'know?
35 Comments
Follow this Show
Members