Perfect Strangers

ABC (ended 1993)

Perfect Strangers Fan Reviews (24)

• For all my fellow fans who want seasons 3-8 on DVD...

The goal is 10,000 signatures, and as you can see there's a long way to go, so tell all your friends and family about it to get this great show on DVD!
  • I was wondering if anyone new where I could get seasons 3-8 I have seasons 1 and 2 and all the places I've looked sell either seasons 1 & 2 or seasons 1-8.Ive looked on ebay I've looked at amazon.com can't find them though. Any help would be great.Thanks

This tv series was amazing! Why can't they have re-runs for this show? They have them for save by the bell and I love lucy, family matters, full house. Don't get me wrong I love all those shows too but Perfect Strangers was awesome! I haven't been able to see the shows in a long time so I don't know which ones are the best. I have been able to watch seasons 1 and 2 but from memory I know the other seasons are better. I'm just blabbing on this last part because I have to have 100 words. haha later
  • I seriously wish that someone would release this show onto DVD so we can enjoy it again

Please someone bring the show onto DVD. I loved the show and could not get enough of it when it was on air, I would love to see it again if only on Nick at Nite. I really would like to see it come out on DVD just like all the other television shows have done. I dont really have much else to say, I think it is crazy that this site is making me type 100 words for a review, what am i back in high school again?? I dont know what else to say but i loved the show.
  • The show was a hit for the time. I wisht hey would bring back the cast and have a reunion

I was a young kid during these times. I wish they would bring the show back. It shows how true americans act toward our distant families. The show was a hit for its time. I just recently remembered the name of the show and decided to look it up on here to see what everyone thought of the it. Balki was the most humerous character there was on the show. He shows up in american with no idea how we operated and some how he made it. It shows you that now matter what you do or are you can achieve anything
  • Aired when ABC owned Friday night television.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, ABC used to own Friday primetime television. "Perfect Strangers" was part of ABC's wildly popular "TGIF" lineup. The show is about two roommates, Balki Bartokomous and Larry Appleton, who are vastly different in both their outlooks on life and their approach to everything from women to work. A modern day "The Odd Couple," each episode of "Perfect Strangers" was basically a family sitcom with a lot of slapstick humor. My favorite part of the show was when Balki and Larry did the "Dance of Joy." The show went downhill, however, when the two got married to their longtime girlfriends and bought a house together in the suburbs.
  • It was hilarious. Great show! Balki and Larry were so funny!

The show started so great. Sometimes I cried of laugh in some episodes. Balki was so naive and many times so stupid, but very pleaseful. Larry was neurotic, he got mad very easy. He was so funny.
    The fun was on Balki saying the customs on Mypos. The show crack me up with ease. Balki came from Mypos to stay with Larry, always saying it was a simple town. He was a shepherd. The show had a unique style, most of the show develops in the place they lived. The first and second season was hilarious. They made the most fun of the situations. They were stupids...but so great. ¡Era un cague de risa!
  • A Chicago man takes in his immigrant cousin as a roommate. Let the games begin!

This show lets us into the lives of Larry, a Chicago native, and Balki Bartokomos, a distant cousin of his who immigrates from the island country of Mypos. Balki needs a place to stay, and you don't want to let down your family, right? Here goes...

Balki, fresh off the job of shepherd on the tiny rural island, is in for a shock getting used to American city life. Larry, who is strait-laced but has a kind heart, introduces him to his friends, neighbors and culture, acting as sort of a guide and comic straight-man through all the craziness. The warm-hearted and witty series shows you there's more to a person than you know when you first meet, and it's good to be different.
  • Cousin Larry and the foreign guy ...

This was a pretty kewl show. Balky was the comic relief because of his crazy accent and the way he always seemed to get them into trouble. They do kind of remind me of the odd couple, which is a good thing. These two actors played off each other perfectly.
  • Now this is one funny show.

Few shows can compare to Perfect Strangers. This is one classic sitcom that's all out funny, from the very start of the series up to the finale. This show was so funny, even funnier than Friends. Bronson Pinchot's Balki is perhaps one of the most original made up characters on tv. This show is so funny that your cheeks will ache a bit. A show is really entertaining, you get a really good time watching it. It's a good show to watch with your friends or family. A lot of today's sitcoms don't come as close to this. Perfect Strangers is the perfect sitcom.
  • A guy from Mepos moves in with his cousin larry and they basically live together.

When anyone says 80's sitcoms whats the first that pops in your head....Perfect Strangers. The best comedy team I have seen since Abbott and Costello. The way they could play off each other was amazing. But there wouldnt be a show at all if there wasnt the character named Balki. One of my favorite sitcom characters next to Jack from Will and Grace. Later in the show the two meet MaryAnn and Jennifer and fall in love with them. End up moving to a new house and they all live together. I grew up watching the show and enjoyed every episode, if they ever replay it or release it on dvd please watch.
  • A show like this is a rare find these days

What can I say, except that those were the days! They really don't make it like this anymore-wholesome, scripted comedy, that people of all ages can appreciate.

I have been watching this show since I was around 7 years old, and in my experience, it has only gotten better with age. As a youngster, I think I enjoyed it because of the character of Balki-the naive sheepherder from a small developing island, faced with a massive culture shock when he arrives unexpectedly at the door of his distant cousin, Larry. I laughed along as Balki was dazzled by Western technology, taught Larry his bizarre Myposian rituals, made endless failed attempts at popular American sayings, and had his good nature taken advantage of time and time again. I must admit that at the time, Larry was just a character that was around so Balki could exist, and I really took little notice of him. But now that I am older, it is Balki that has begun to fade into the background. The character of Larry seems kind of straightforward-an average guy in his mid 20s who, despite himself, comes to learn many life lessons from his eccentric cousin. I would have thought they could have gotten any old actor to play someone like that, but now I see that I was wrong. Mark Linn Baker is subtly brilliant as Larry Appleton. He portrays Larry's neurotic, on-edge personality, without becoming tacky and predictable in his mannerisms. And despite being "the normal one", his use of physical comedy is hilarious. The 2 lead actors bounce off each other perfectly, and make this show work.

This show is pure fun, but also made a nice statement about morality, which made you care about the 2 lead characters. At the age of 20, I still shed a tear when Balki moves back to Mypos and he and Larry have to say goodbye. And when Jennifer accepts Larry's unrehearsed marriage proposal, over the proposal her new attractive, wealthy boyfriend. And I still laugh when I see Larry and Balki sneaking into Jennifer and Maryanne's apartment at night to swap Jennifer's engagement ring, fix up a house and accidentally get stuck in a chandelier, or dancing to the reworded limbo rock as they attempt to bake 3,000 "Bippy Bobkas".

As a disclaimer, I must warn that this show isn't exactly high-brow, to say the least. The story lines are often far from believable, the dialogue isn't always as funny as the raucous canned laughter would have you believe, and a "straight guy meets wacky guy" comedy isn't exactly cutting edge. But in all honesty-so what? This show may not be the height of intellectual viewing, but when you're just looking for a show to veg out in front of and forget your troubles for half an hour, then look no further. This show always leaves you with a smile on your face, and is a refreshing change from the myriad of recycled reality shows they beam to us at every opportunity.

Since this show was cancelled, a lot of shows have come and gone that I have loved for various reasons, but I have yet to find another sitcom that can hold the flame to this one. I prey that they will release this series on DVD. And if not, then I hope the reruns I recorded back in the 90s will last long enough for me to show to my children.
  • Don't be ridiculous.

I don't think enough credit is given to Mark Linn Baker and Bronson Pinchoet for their acting abilities. They really did an excellent job on this show. This was one of those shows where the acting really carried the show rather than the writing. This was a really funny show that went on for a bit too long. Once the gang moved to the house the show became stale, but before that it was really good.
  • Just like it says; a sweet, funny guilty pleasure!

Among the modern slapsticks, this was definitely the best. So much depended on the brilliant chemistry of Pinchot and Baker - and they delivered in spades. I don\'t think I have ever seen such good chemistry in an American comedy, and the only other than comes to mind is Wooster and Jeeves (Hugh and Laurie) over in the UK.
    Whether baking Bapkas, fixing a shower or juuuust hanging around, you knew it was a disaster waiting to happen - and you could only mouth-wateringly wait for how it was going to happen.
    To me, the girls dulled the show, but I suppose the producers wanter their anti-thesis. The rest of the supporting staff, however, is brilliant. Quirky, but not over the top.
    Mottos, well-known sayings, it all clicked very well, and will forever stay very close to my heart and funny bone!
  • Wonderful, pleasant, hysterical classic.

I'll be the first to say that many of the episodes were a tad repetitive, but the show always managed to be funny. Slapstick of the highest caliber from exploding pastry to the Dance of Joy (which I would have done in full at my sister's wedding, had it come to mind).

There were also some very, dare I say, tender moments. Balki getting dumped, softening the stone cold exterior of Mr. Gorply or explaining the true meaning of Christmas. It could get you misty-eyed, and it'd be okay. Not that...*I* ever got misty-eyed. Nope. No way. Never.

Off and on, in the years after the show concluded, I'd hoped they'd bring it back. I did manage to get over it, and now eagerly await the DVD releases (uncut, unlike what I hear they did to ALF).

All in all, Perfect Strangers did have a very good run. And now we are so happy, we do the Dance of Joy.
  • I would love to see this show return to TV, because it was very funny and sometimes sad. The show took a good look at am immigrant trying to adapt in the USA.

This was one of my favorite shows to watch and would love for it to return to Nick@Nite or some other channel.

Even though these two cousins were from different countries, it made for a great comedy.

I think this show would be great for Comedy central if they ever wanted to re-air some classics.
  • Perfect Strangers was the best

Perfect Strangers was one of those shows that was funny and used slapstick and yet a lot of it could have happened. Who doesn't want to be like Balki, and who isn't like Larry? Great show. I always love Larry's ineptity and Balki's innocence. It's my second favorite show ever (first being The Monkees OH YEAH!!!).
  • Funniest show ever.

This is the most funniest show ever. I use to watch it when i was young. Balki (Bronson Pinchot) is hilarious and so is Larry (Mark Linn-Baker). The funniest episode is when Larry got amnesia and the other episode is when they make Bibbi Bopkas. Hopefully it will be on dvd soon.
  • I miss it.

Why isn't this show on in syndication anywhere?!
    My sister and I loved watching Balki and Larry's weekly misadventures. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a DVD set in the near future.
    It's so creepy to think that Bronson Pinchot on The Surreal Life 5 and Balki are the same guy. *shudder*
  • I loved Perfect Strangers. I have been watching it since it first started. I liked Harriette Winslow played by Jo Marie Payton because she is one of my favorite characters in the show.

Pefect Strangers is a slapstick "buddy comedy" that explored the wonderment of a newly arrived immigrant at the ways of America- "The Land of the Whopper." Balki was a young sheperd from the Mediterranean island of Mypos, who showed up unexpectedly at the Chicago apartment of his distant cousin, Bachelor Larry. Balki's wide-eyed, fun-loving manner, his nutty myposian customs, and his tendency to take everything.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes.

They helped to make the story more exciting.
    Some of the main chracters were Larry, Balki, Harriette, Susan and Donald.

Each episode was a story on its own but it formed part of the whole story.
  • Great comedy show with excellent writing!

This show is pure fun, but also made a nice statement about morality, which made you care about the 2 lead characters. At the age of 30, I still shed a tear when Balki moves back to Mypos and he and Larry have to say goodbye. And when Jennifer accepts Larry's unrehearsed marriage proposal, over the proposal her new attractive, wealthy boyfriend. And I still laugh when I see Larry and Balki sneaking into Jennifer and Maryanne's apartment at night to swap Jennifer's engagement ring, fix up a house and accidentally get stuck in a chandelier, or dancing to the reworded limbo rock as they attempt to bake 3,000 "Bippy Bobkas".

• Balki, an original indeed!

A superb comedy from the late eighties. It became one of my favorite shows to watch on ABC. Balki was just hilarious. And I was surprised to find out that the actor who played him does not speak like that at all. I particularly remember watching an episode about one of the characters Birthdays and I could not stop laughing. It was deliciously funny. I wonder if it will ever be available on DVD! I look forward to seeing it again. I miss TGIF on ABC! Ahhh… those were the days
  • Everybody Loves Balki

Perfect Strangers was a mildly decent show. It wasn’t the type of show that left you yearning for more once it ended, but it was a nice way to pass the time.

There was a decent cast, and as with any other show - it all had to end at some time or another. And this one ended right on time.

Basically it was just mild humor about Balki moving to America to share an apartment with his cousin Larry. It was an entertaining show, that showed the lighthearted side of family helping family and it was also the match that ignited the sitcom Family Matters.
  • Light and Funny!

This show is the best because it does not try to have any heavy meaning it was just goofy fun. Bronson Pinchot has unlimited talent and Mark Baker has great timing and they complimented each other perfectly on this show. The chemistry between the two of them was terrific. This is one of my favorite shows because of the light hearted comedy that made it so great. This show never got old. They had many classic episodes like when they took karate lessons or when they made the bibbibobkas. This show was fun for the whole family and I wish it was still on.
  • This show wasn't going to win any awards for writing or originality, but it was a good, mindless waste of time when you wanted it.

5.5
    Perfect Strangers was a "buddy" comedy set in Chicago involving a guy named Larry who was born and raised here, and his wacky cousin Balki who just immigrated here from some Russian Republic called Mepos.

It was kind of predictable...and pretty cheesy at the same time, yet it did deliver the laughs from time to time. The beginning of the show was the show's prime since Balki's "Don't be ridiculous!" hadn't lost its luster quite yet, and they still lived in that small apartment. Once they moved in with their girlfriends, the show headed downhill in a real freaking hurry. Any people who are familiar with the website jumptheshark.com can agree that that's the moment when the show "jumped the shark".

Anyhow, I know most will disagree with me when I say this, but this show was better than Family Matters, which it spun off. While they both weren't great TV series, at least it wasn't as hokey as Family Matters.