Perry Mason Forums

CBS (ended 1966)

New Perry Mason DVD Collection Coming

jamoon2006

[1]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 36

It's been rumored to be coming for a while now, but on April 8, Paramount is rolling out the Perry Mason - 50th Anniversary Collection DVD. The set contains 12 episodes (none of which are available on DVD yet, so no double-dipping) as well as a horde of extras.

The episodes are:

"Case of the Wary Wildcatter"

"Case of the Treacherous Toupee"

"Case of the Envious Editor"

"Case of the Barefaced Witness"

"Case of the Counterfeit Crank"

"Case of the Shoplifter's Shoe"

"Case of the Constant Doyle" (Bette Davis fills in for an absent Perry)

"Case of the Deadly Verdict"

"Case of the Bountiful Beauty"

"Case of the Twice-Told Twist" (the color episode)

"Case of the Dead Ringer"

"Case of the Final Fade-Out" (final episode)

There's a ton of bonus features on this set (Paul Brownstein, the DVD producer, always does a good job. He handed Season 1 of The Wild Wild West and Image's releases of The Dick Van Dyke Show, among others). The full list is on TVShowsOnDVD.com, but the ones that jumped out at me were the interviews/intros with Barbara Hale and Perry Mason Returns!

Not sure how this will affect future season releases, but it looks like a great collection.

Edited on 08/27/2008 6:27am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

karlmeszaros

[2]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 106
    This is great news! The last two episodes are not ones that I have seen since Fox Spokane does not have them. The special features sound great too. But I don't see it on TVShowsodDVD.com. There's nothing listed there for April 8 and the Perry Mason site only has the four releases that comprise Seaons 1 & 2.

jamoon2006

[3]Jan 16, 2008

Here's the link from TVShowsOnDVD.com...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perry-Mason-50th-Anniversary-Editon/8769

Also, you can pre-order the set at Amazon.com.

jamoon2006

[4]Apr 4, 2008

Here's a review of the new set from tvdvdreviews.com. Their technical description isn't great, but the episodes and the list of features sound fantastic.

From the reviews at Amazon (where I pre-ordered my set), I see that a lot of people are giving this a negative review just because it's a best-of set. Well, as a Perry Mason fan, but not a die-hard fan, I think a set like this is great for those of us who want a good sampling of the show without plunking down the coin for nine seasons on DVD.

karlmeszaros

[5]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 106
    Looks fantastic - thank you for the link.

AprilFox

[6]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 109
    Jamoon, I just saw the episode "The Case of Constant Doyle" and yes that's how they have the episode titled on screen and that's what Bette Davis is called throughout the episode. It was great seeing this episode again, I hadn't seen the episode in a very long time. So being a Bette Davis fan I was so happy to watch this episode. I know that it's listed as "The Case of Constance Doyle" here, and at the Copyright site it's listed as "The Case of Contant Doyle." I wish I would have gotten a screen capture to verify that Constant Doyle is the correct version.

jamoon2006

[7]Aug 27, 2008

Last night, I watched the segment of the cast appearing on Stump the Stars. I loved watching it, not only because it was so funny, but because you really got to see the camraderie between Raymond Burr, Barbara Hale, William Hopper and William Talman. Talman, Hale and Hopper were all pretty good at charades, as well. Burr was awful!

The only weird thing was the host, who seemed to have no clue what the show was about or who did what. But it was a very entertaining bonus feature. I wish more vintage TV DVD releases would have extras like these.