Perry Mason Forums

CBS (ended 1966)

What is your favorite and least liked Perry Mason episode?

bmoshier

[1]Oct 14, 2006
    • level: 47
    As the topic title says, what is your favorite and least liked Perry Mason episode?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mad_Buck

[2]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 79

Favorite:  TCOT Sulky Girl and TCOT Substitute Face

Least favorite:  TCOT Married Moonlighter and TCOT Sad Sicilian

Mad_Buck

[3]Nov 16, 2006
    I should add that most of the made for TV reunion movies bite the big one as well.  The producers tried to turn Perry Mason into Matlock and it simply didn't work.  Raymond Burr must have needed the cash.  That's the only reason I can think of that he stayed involved with the series.

Urais1959

[4]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 1
    TCOT Borrowed Burnette N TCOT Corresponding Corspe (My Favorites) TCOT Fancy Figures N TCOT Curious Bride (Least Favorite)

pounder19r

[5]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 12
    Mad_Buck wrote:
    I should add that most of the made for TV reunion movies bite the big one as well. The producers tried to turn Perry Mason into Matlock and it simply didn't work. Raymond Burr must have needed the cash. That's the only reason I can think of that he stayed involved with the series.
    I think you have it backwards on turning the reunion movies into Matlock. The first Perry Mason reunion movie aired Dec of 1985 while Matlock first aired Sept of 1986. There were 2 almost 3 Perry Mason movies (12-85,5-86 and 11-86) by the time of Matlock's Premiere. From my view (and from what I recall) the first Perry Mason reunion was a huge hit and that helped Matlock get started. Dean Hargrove wrote both Matlocks first episode and Perry Mason Returns plus I believe Fred Silverman produced both too. Its tough and sad to see someone on their last legs go downhill. As far as just doing the reunion movies for money...I would think that having done Mason for 9 years and then having 20 years off that Burr and Barbara Hale enjoyed reprising their roles. From what I think Burr and Hale had a great time as Mason&Street...plus knowing that they were both on borrowed time they played out Mason as far as they could go... to give themselves and fans lots of memories

Mad_Buck

[6]Jul 25, 2007

pounder19r wrote:
    Mad_Buck wrote:
    I should add that most of the made for TV reunion movies bite the big one as well. The producers tried to turn Perry Mason into Matlock and it simply didn't work. Raymond Burr must have needed the cash. That's the only reason I can think of that he stayed involved with the series.
    I think you have it backwards on turning the reunion movies into Matlock. The first Perry Mason reunion movie aired Dec of 1985 while Matlock first aired Sept of 1986. There were 2 almost 3 Perry Mason movies (12-85,5-86 and 11-86) by the time of Matlock's Premiere. From my view (and from what I recall) the first Perry Mason reunion was a huge hit and that helped Matlock get started. Dean Hargrove wrote both Matlocks first episode and Perry Mason Returns plus I believe Fred Silverman produced both too. Its tough and sad to see someone on their last legs go downhill. As far as just doing the reunion movies for money...I would think that having done Mason for 9 years and then having 20 years off that Burr and Barbara Hale enjoyed reprising their roles. From what I think Burr and Hale had a great time as Mason&Street...plus knowing that they were both on borrowed time they played out Mason as far as they could go... to give themselves and fans lots of memories

Nothing you said can change the fact that almost all the reunion movies are borderline terrible. And they DID Matlock the series because most of the movies had the same writers, producers, and directors as Matlock. It doesn't make any difference that two or three Perry Mason reunion movies were filmed before Matlock premiered. Burr and Hale should have left well enough alone after making two or three runion movies but instead they kept at it and the result was some truly awful television that besmirched the legacy of a great show.