Oh my gosh, you guys! A Person of Interest panel! I had never attended one before so it was one of the things I was looking forward to most at this year's Comic-Con. Held in the fairly spacious 6BCDF room, it wasn't that hard to get into but I waited in line for an hour and a half anyway because there was no way I was going to miss this thing. But a few minutes before the panel is supposed to start and there's still hundreds of seats left. I guess that about wraps up the show's reputation. Yeah, it does great in the ratings but it doesn't have that geek cred that other shows do. Heck, the Grimm panel, held immediately before POI, was packed and that show doesn't even do half the total viewers POI does. 

But here it is again in San Diego trying to shake off its reputation as "Your dad's favorite show," by appealing to the sci-fi and comics crowd. I'm going to be attending the press room later today and should get some good details from the cast and producers, but for now, let's see how this panel goes. Time for the live-ish-blog!

– The panel starts with an exclusive reel that combines news footage about the NSA PRISM program. It was done in the style of the opening credits, with clips from Obama talking and CBS Nightly News. It's happening for realz!!!

– That's followed by a Greatest Hits clip. A lot of guys get shot in the leg. A lot! Oh man, I almost forgot about the nail gun. 

– New footage of Season 3 starts with Root talking to a psychiatrist about God. Buuuuut we all know who–or what–she's actually talking about. [Edit: Now that I think about it I'm not sure it was new footage so strike that!]

UPDATE: You can now watch the highlight reel...

– The panel members are brought out: Jonah Nolan, Greg Plageman, Jim Caviezel, Michael Emerson, Kevin Chapman, Sarah Shahi, and Amy Acker. UMMM Jim is dressed like he's about to play croquet and it's awesome. 

– Jonah jokes that he created the show as an elaborate scheme to get the government to pay him residuals. Har har, guy!

– Immediately, the conversation goes towards the NSA's Prism program, but Jonah says The Machine is more efficient. And that maybe the NSA is just laughing every Tuesday at 10pm.

– "I like to refer to him as conflicted," Chapman says about his character Fusco, playfully deflecting that he's a dirty cop. 

– "I don't think she's mean, it's just that if people don't do what she tells them to, she gets upset." Amy Acker on Root, smiling the entire time.

– Sarah Shahi on Shaw: She digs Shaw's unpredictability. "For the most part, I have to say it's so much fun killing people." A conversation she has with her husband: "Work was great today, honey. I chased boys all day and then I shot them."

– "It's fun for me and Mr. Finch to get out of the library," Emerson says of Finch. On Finch's backstory: "It's fine to be mysterious, but it lends poignancy and complexity to the storytelling and it engages you, you feel something." He compliments the writing team on doling out the information slowly.

– Amy Acker has been promoted to series regular on Person of Interest. Sarah Shahi was already announced as a regular towards the end of Season 3, I believe. 

– Fan questions! First up: Are you surprised that Person of Interest isn't embraced more by the science-fiction crowd? Jonah: "Part of the reason that science-fiction fans may not like it is because they presumed it was true. They were right." 

– Will Shaw and Root ever team up like Finch and Reese? Acker gives Shahi a hug, and then Jonah says, "I think you've been bugging our writers room." Whaaaaaat!?

– Now that reality has caught up to the show, Chapman jokes that we should call it The Real Housewives of Interest

– Not a lot of talk about the upcoming season, surprisingly. Guess I'll have to corner Jonah and Greg and ask them myself. 

– Jim Caviezel is just chillin' up there. Everyone is looking around and he's just looking ahead like a badass. Exactly how he should be. 

– A fan points out that Finch expresses things through "British-isms" and Emerson says, "That's new to me," but says Finch has a formal way of expressing himself and that maybe his speech is a result of a hangover from his stage days. 

– "I don't get ot play many romantic parts... I don't think I've had a love scene," Emerson says. "Which is a mystery to me." Ha ha. But then he talks about a love scene with his real-life Carrie Preston, who plays Grace. "I have to erase her wife-ness." 

– Paige Turco, who plays Zoe Morgan, will be back. "Zoe's a fixer and shit needs fixing," says Plageman.

– A mention of Bear gets a huge applause. Emerson says he has trouble managing an animal of the size of Booker (the actor who plays Bear), but the scenes always work out and that he hopes Bear lets him stay on the show. 

– "To me the most poignant thing that's ever been on the show has been the idea that The Machine was sentient, orphaned," says Emerson. He says it's a great notion that we could have our heart strings touched by The Machine. Awwww, what a caring Admin! 

– Nolan says he pitched the show to Bad Robot as a look at artificial intelligence, and not how it lands with a "thud" but how it creeps into our lives. 

– A fan talks about the strong female characters on this show, and you know what? There are tons of strong female characters on this show! That's great! 

– There's a new app coming to Facebook that's a treat for fans. It should be out soon.

– And that's it! Panel over! 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/21/2016

Season 5 : Episode 13

44 Comments
Comments (44)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If Root is going to be around all the time my stomach is going to be in knots every Tuesday night. Such tension! I've always thought if they ever showed Finch as a child they should get Atticus Shaffer from The Middle to play him. Oh, well. Too late now.
Flag
SUPER highlight reel!!! Wow. You know, Tim, POI is in the top 5 almost weekly based on # of viewers. If the SciFi folks want to watch a near feature film quality TV show, that's fine. If they don't because the show's premise is no longer science fiction, that's OK too. They just don't know what they are missing. (But they have to wonder why so many of us are ardent fans)...
Flag
OMG app, what? I really need to see about getting myself down to San Diego next year.
Flag
Seeing Mr. Finch.... as a child? That was more than my mind seemed able to compute. I was sure he was always just there one day, on Earth, fully formed and fully brilliant!
Flag
And the young actor they tapped to play the young Finch looks so much like him! Good job!
Flag
I haven't been that excited over a video since the recent gameplay video of Grand Theft Auto 5. I loved the use of the real-life footage and the clips from the show, the montage was awesome, and I loved the new scenes.

I love the fact that they promoted Amy Acker to a regular, and hinted at Shaw/Root teaming up. It would be very interesting to see that, especially considering their history together. Between that, Reese's and Root's new roles as Admins, and possibly some kind of relationship between Carter and Elias (now that she rescued him), there will be a lot of interesting new dynamics for the writers to play with, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.
Flag
O no, more Root, the most annoying character of the series :(
Flag
Agreed. I would be glad if she was gone for good.
Flag
Amy Acker starring in any show is always excellent news! I'm stoked! Only she can do the "deliciously creepy"

Pity Taraji P. Henson was not there though...

One of these days I will go to a Comic Con! In the mean time... thanks Tim!
Flag
Grimm yay!!!!
Flag
Yay for them promoting Acker and Shahi to series regulars :D
That is great news, I loved their storielines so far.
Flag
great show
Flag
LOVED THE TRAILER!!!!!!
Flag
Root as a regular is the best news from this panel.
Flag
I'm a Whedon fan so I've always been mildly interested in anything Acker's done since Angel, but I just watched her in Much Ado About Nothing and I only just realised that wow she can act! I never really noticed it on Angel, but she was so great in Much Ado About Nothing. Guess I'll have to start watching POI now, I was always planning to, but this gives me an even bigger incentive.
Flag
What? You do not think it was outrageously good acting Acker and Denisof playing the arc about Fred being eaten alive by Illyria & Fred finally dying?

Why do you think Whedon chose them for Much Ado About Nothing?
Flag
Well I haven't watched Angel for over five years, and I was a lot younger back then, so maybe I didn't really notice the acting...

I always though Denisof was good, Wesley is one of the most well-developed characters if the Buffyverse.

With Fred though, I think she always came off a bit too childlike and fragile for my liking, and Illyria was practically emotionless. What I guess I'm trying to say is that the role of Fred may have been easier to play, then say Acker's role as Dr. Saunders in Dollhouse, or as Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing.
Flag
Root as a regular! AWESOME!! Can't wait for season 3!!
Flag
Thanks, great article, Tim.
Flag
This is one of my favorite shows and I am so upset that Amy Acker has joined the show as a regular. Root is so annoying. I'm seriously considering quitting the show now. I'll TRY to give it a few episodes to see what they do with Root in season 3. OMG I'm so upset by this.
Flag
Caviezel's looking like a pimp up in there, he's gotta all the more outstanding considering everyone else in attendance --cast excluded.
Flag
The highlight reel was awesome, "You are being watched", but this time it's for real,
I wonder if any one from the "PRISM" project saw the series, i would love to see how the creator of PRISM project reacted if he saw POI(cancelling the show :) ),
It was also great to see that clip of Henry Peck (Jacob Pitts) from POI, and to compare with Edward Snowden from PRISM.
Flag
Interesting to see POI at Comic Con.

The thing about the show is that the concept of the self-evolving and learning AI has some roots in Sci-Fi, but ironically enough, we are working towards a real live AI though research and development, thus, it won't be so far fetched in the near future.

But this show while using an AI to drive the story line, is also interestingly enough a procedural show.

And that's the beauty of this show, that by the end of the 2nd season, we saw that the AI actually worked hard at saving people who for the most part would ensure it's ability to keep itself safe.

So, who knows how Season 3 will go..
Flag
they have how i met your mother or some shit at comic con. news to me but I was definitely like wtf happened to being comic centric? i consider this on par bad-wise with coachella becoming a place for celebs to go and be photographed and up the cost of tickets / popularity. stupid pseudo-nerds / music enthusiasts.
Flag
lol i totally didn't read beyond "interesting to see POI at comic con" and I think it shows in my comment now. my bad!
Flag
HIMYM doesn't really belong here. One could probably consider that there are some geeky and/or pop culture aspects to HIMYM, but it's a stretch. CBS is over-reaching just to promote their shows.

I strongly feel Hollywood should just create their own entertainment convention and that Comic-Con should go back to its basic roots. That or get rid of "comic" and relabel themselves in some new way.
Flag
OMG this waiting for my POI is killing me. One of the most awesome shows on tv. And thanks for the wonderful recap.
Flag
Great recap - Thanks!! Sounds like it was a lot of fun"

the first part f that video is really creepy, tho
Flag
Luck you Tim!! Thanks for the writeup. I really dig POI.
Flag
Nothing on Joss Carter played by TH :-(.
Flag
Thanks for this overview. But really? No comments from Jim Caviezel? No mention of Taraji P. Henson, the female lead star?
I would be delighted if the team up Shaw and Root...and then create a new spin off show just for them! Core Four (Reese, Finch, Carter, Fusco) Forever!
Flag
There really isn't anything to say about Taraji P. Henson considering she wasn't there.

http://instagram.com/p/b_tzL_uuMZ/
Flag
I know that TH was unable to participate because she was attending a charity event to raise funds to fight kids' cancer. I had hoped that a question from the audience or a comment from a panelist would reference the lead female cast member. I guess not. Too bad all around.
Flag
OMG!!!!! That clip was so amazing, it was great seeing some of the great moments from the show. Also it looks like we will being seeing little Howard, which is so cool.

And I love the idea of Root and Shaw teaming up. I can not wait for the next season.
Flag
The main reason the room wasn't packed is because CBS viewers are too old for comic cons. They're more likely to show up at business conventions.
Flag
When the hell are you going to get to Breaking Bad?
Flag
Thanks for the excellent recap!

"Will Shaw and Root ever team up like Finch and Reese? Acker gives Shahi a hug, and then Jonah says, 'I think you've been bugging our writers room.'"

SQUEE!
Flag
The room wasn't packed? Damn you, geeks and nerds! This is why you can't have nice things!

I love that the article makes it seem like Jim Caviezel didn't say a single word. I'm not sure why I love that, but I do.

Amy Acker is gonna be a series regular next season? Eh, not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I love both Acker and Root. I really do. But on the other hand, I kind of feel like her story winded down pretty well and got to a point where I'd be okay with Root being a smaller character again.
Flag
Root became an admin in season 2. I think it's only natural for her to become a regular in season 3.
Flag
If I remember correctly, the admin status was temporary. Her access stopped at about the time she and Harold got to the building where the Machine was previously stored. She did get a call in the psych hospital at the very end, but we'll have to wait until next season what the Machine wanted her to know.
Flag
I would have been waiting there with you! Good stuff, Tim!
Flag
The video shown before the panel was awesome.

Anyone can check it out right here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KoElIeOJcM
Flag
Follow this Show
Members