With the foundation shaking reveal this week that there were other "Machine" like projects in the works aside from Finch's we were granted a look into the predictive futures calculated by the Machine once again. While I feel like retroactively it seems kind of obvious that Finch and Nathan couldn't have been the only ones working on a "Machine", it had really and truly never crossed my mind that there may in fact be another "Machine" which makes it such a compelling and ingenious development.

Considering the fact that the Machine had previously denoted Samaritan as being DEACTIVATED, I feel like this revelation was news not only to our heroes, but also to the Machine. Most intriguing of all is the Operational Conflict Potential which reached higher than 6% and was still increasing when the episode cut out. Clearly our beloved Machine will soon be in conflict with Samaritan, but who will be controlling it?
poll

In addition to the real life PRISM program acting as a decoy, there is also another program called Fairview listed as a decoy program. Any ideas on what Fairview might be? Other deactivated programs - Tides, Thinthread, Something Wind, Trailblazer, Genoa, and Genoa II (question - was someone a writer on The Newsroom or what?).

In addition to the question of the other machine was the outcome of the confrontation between Finch and Control.

It is not looking good from Samantha Shaw. The only time we have been witness to numbers close to this bad was just before Reese was arrested two episodes ago and I don't think his chances for death passed 80%. One of the interesting implications here is that Shaw will be willing to risk herself to try and save Finch in an impossible situation (heart melting for Shaw emotional development) as her death is by far away the most likely.

Shaw - 85.05%
Arthur Claypool - 46.18%
Finch - 43.51%
Hersh - 26.57%
Control Agent Vermillion 7A - 23.30%
Control Agent Vermillion 7C - 19.30%
Control 11.65%

Will Shaw and Finch survive this encounter? (via Root perhaps?)

Will Samaritan be conveniently located in Colorado near John and Fusco?

Who will control Samaritan?

What is Fairview?

poll

Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
> Who will control Samaritan?

No options for Decima Technologies or the Ministry for State Security? Boo.

> Was the Machine previously aware that Samaritan still existed?

The Machine may not have known it by name, but evidence has been popping up since Matsya Nyaya back in Season 1. For all we know, it could have been through Samaritan's POV that we were watching Reese and Stanton stroll down those stairs toward the Chinese compound. The red squares around them would make sense if they posed a threat to Samaritan's admin at the time.
Flag
Decima. I called it! Not that anyone should care, since I didn't make any wagers, but still...

Maybe this means the Chinese have a third machine, or whatever number of sentient AIs out there...
Flag
obviously the machine knows. Root has been talking about a conflict for sometime now, so the machine knew and was building upto this...but it needed to unvail everyone, take care of HR and finally deal with "contorl" to make sure samaritan is not harmed or misused
Flag
So...could it be a possibility that the machine that talks to root is Samaritan and not the same that Finch created?
Flag
that would explain the "machine" talking to two seperate people. because there are two.
Flag
As far as I understand it, Root has been talking to the original machine since it rebooted itself back in Season 2 and both John and Root became temporary Admins. Also the Machine has been helping Root save John and our heroes in the last few episodes - it doesn't seem like Samaritan would have any connection to John or Finch or any reason to want them to stay alive. It also seems likely from the way Arthur was talking about Samaritan that it is either unfinished or has not been put online as of yet. That's my interpretation anyway.
Flag
Thought this might be of interest round here:

DARPA Tried to Build Skynet in the 1980s

Flag
Most likely, they are still working on it. I know the article says that the programs were shut down. But most of the problems they mention, like speech recognition, are close to being solved now. So I think it's unlikely that wouldn't be a few groups in DARPA keeping up with the progress.
Flag
In my opinion it is still not certain that Samaritan is active, only that some kind of backup seems to have been created. I also think the name Samaritan is a bit dubious. Does it refer to the parable of the good Samaritan? And what does the name say about the aim of the program?
Flag
I am seriously commenting right now sheerly because I have six to eight hours of travel to undergo next Tuesday and Wednesday where I am going to by myself in a car, so I might think of something more coherent.

First, I have a weird feeling Vigilance is going to come in and by sheer technicality, save the day. They probably had a pretty good read on the car leaving the hospital and Finch was driving, not Shaw. I don't imagine everyone is totally safe, like, I won't be surprised to find that Arthur is dead and Shaw is maybe shot. But, going through the list, who else is in the general New York area to help them out? Leon? Zoe? Neither one of them would be super helpful in anything other than calling the cops or going and taking care of Bear.

I won't be terribly surprised to find the Machine helping John and Fusco get back to New York as soon as possible. Like, they are both sitting in the cell after Fusco has tried to explain that he is a cop and the two of them are actually buddies and a phone call comes in (likely Root pretending to be someone) and the communication method the Machine set up when looking for Finch is reestablished.

I think I was with Finch on the other machine knowledge, I both was startled but then also, not surprised. Of course the government had other teams working on it. But, I am a little intrigued because I can't remember when in the early 2000s the Machine was put online, but I thought before 2005.
More+
Flag
OMG!!! This episode was great specially the other machine, the government did play them by asking more than one to build another one, now john need to work too hard to get them out of this problem, it will not be an easy operation, I can't wait to see what will happen next episode..... Great eposide
Flag
Great post! At least I should say this because I had planned almost the same :-). I closely watched the video stills of all of the predictions before and after change (especially the one when the status of Samaritan changed to 'unknown'.

There is so much information in these moments one normally, in other shows, just accepts as filler. Like in the post below by edge1710, the colours of the squares can be very interesting.

Truly a show that gives us more for our money!
Flag
KhasOpelo supplied this list:

Prism (Active, Decoy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
Able Danger (Deactivated) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Danger
Genoa (Deactivated) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa_II#Genoa_.2F_Genoa_II
Genoa II (Deactivated) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa_II#Genoa_.2F_Genoa_II
Bullrun (Active, Decoy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullrun_(decryption_program)
Thinthread (Deactivated) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinthread
Tides (Deactivated) [They made a small mistake here, it's called TIDE] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorist_Identities_Datamart_Environment
Fairview (Active, Decoy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairview_(surveillance_program)
Trailblazer (Deactivated, Decoy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailblazer_Project
Stellar Wind (Deactivated) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_Wind_(code_name)
All of them except Samaritan is the name of a realworld NSA/DARPA project...

Not surprising that NSA has a lot of computers with some advanced programming. But I still find this quite disturbing.
Flag
Putting the all seeing eye freemason symbol in the seal of the information awareness office gives me enough paranoid insperation for a season or two of P.O.I. stories.
Flag

Also found this interesting

Hersh has a yellow square making him an asset and control a red were, if the machine still worked for the government, should be a blue. Either control is corrupted or the machine has made different priorities?
Flag
I think the machine assigned a red box to her because she poses an imminent threat to Finch and possibly the machine itself. Remember, it assigned red boxes to Reese and Fusco when they were investigating Finch.
Flag
Yeah, I also stopped the video and closely watched those colours. They were a bit puzzling. Curious what will com out of it.
Flag
I think yellow squares indicate that the person knows about the existence of the machine. Also the red square for Control could be due to the fact that she poses an imminent threat of violence.
Flag
Fairview is a real world NSA data collection program exposed by Edward Snowden
Flag
I think the machine had at least some idea about the other machine. It went through the trouble of somehow getting Root the # in question and having Root expose she is in contact with machine to get Finch the #. I don't think the machine would have had Root expose continued contact to Finch unless it had some idea. At the very least the Machine knew this friend of Finch was involved and that was why was targeted.
Flag
It's the "retasking analog interface" that caught my eye as Root doesn't have acces to a digital interface.

The cavalry will arrive!!
Flag
Nice catch! Good idea
Flag
Quoting from my comment on the review, which had the same topic - I found the following predictions really funny:

• Cancer cured: 19,08%
  • Mass casuality event: Revolution, Russia: 37,14 %
  • Nuclear Proliferation: Iran 25,28 %
Btw, thanks for creating a topic like that. I tried but failed / gave up half way trough... :D And I couldn't figure out how to create a poll and all that. Anyways...you can always depend on someone from the community to obsess over a show like POI :D

Also note, that the numbers on the predicted outcome change shortly bevore your screenshot. Thats why my earlier comment had different numbers.
Flag
I'm kind of holding on to the hope that being completely logical works of technology, Samaritan and Northern Lights will both work together to achieve the same goals. What makes me more curious, is what if Arthur was right, and Samaritan never really did work, but somehow his high likelihood of dying is what has awakened it and put it to task on saving him?
Flag
Except the Machine is not purely logical. It has shown feelings in the past.
Flag
I blame that entirely on programming. While I honestly think the machine respects Harold's wishes enough to let him die if the circumstances presented themselves, I don't know that Samaritan would let Arthur die, and in doing so, Samaritan could end up being the cause of harm to Harold, and the conflict that is escalating against Northern Lights.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members