We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Person of Interest Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBS (Returning May 3, 2016)

Person of Interest S03E18: "Allegiance"

There wasn't a whole lot to this week's Person of Interest as the show retreated to one of its exceptionally complicated case-of-the-week formulas, but what little there was (in the big picture) was sah-weet. "Allegiance" made an effort to tie the main story to the oncoming War of the Machines while maintaining some of the momentum that was built up with "RAM" and "/" and has been busting through concrete walls like the Kool-Aid Man, but let's call this episode what it was: a standalone hour with a few bells and whistles.

I'll do my best to break down what happened with the number-of-the-week in "Allegiance," but it was so full of slow set-up, a high-tech power generator's manual worth of information, lecherous suspects posing as dignitaries, and all the usual expected twists that I don't even know if I'll get it right. This week's digits belonged to Maria Martinez—whose name popped up in the final scene of last week's episode and who we accurately predicted would appear this week. Martinez was a former government contractor trying to debunk a terrorism accusation slapped on her Iraqi friend Omar, who happened to be seeking asylum in the United States. In fact, false terrorism accusations were the theme of the episode, with brown skin and a few shady phone calls setting off our internal alarms because we're all secretly ignorant stereotypers.

Of course Maria and Omar weren't the terrorists, in keeping with Person of Interest's penchant for rooting for the little guy. No, the real terrorists were the rich white guys and foreign diplomats from the United Nations who "eat on our dime," as Fusco so eloquently put it, because screw those guys! They're all evil. Maria's boss, who was in cahoots with pinning terrorist accusations on Omar, was a huge knob of a man named Ken Davis, and with a name as pure as the driven snow like that, he may as well have had a huge neon sign over his head that read "ME! I'm the jerk!" Davis's company was in charge of a half-dozen high-tech generators that were supposed to juice up impoverished parts of Iraq, but those generators mysteriously disappeared, leaving critical parts of Iraq power-free and killing lots of Iraqis because the hospitals didn't have hamster wheels to power their life-saving machines. Omar worked as a translator on that project and determined that Davis's company never shipped the generators there, and Davis wanted to hush him up by deporting him back to Iraq, where he would be killed because he fended off an attack by insurgents on Maria. Why did he do that? Because they were in love! Phew, this story, right?

Eventually things came to a head in the United Nations building, when Fusco and Reese posed as firefighters and fought not fire but French Foreign Legion badasses while providing a distraction for Maria to dig up evidence that Omar had been framed. The good guys won, the bad guys lost and got shot in the leg, and Omar and Maria lived happily ever after. Well, not ALL the bad guys got shot in the leg. Ken Davis escaped and met with Decima head Greer to collect payment, because Davis, that sniveling weasel, sold the generators to Greer so Decima could power up Samaritan with the type of computing power it needed. To Greer's credit, he had Davis killed because Greer knew Davis was a huge dick, even for a rich white guy. So that was the tie-in to the bigger story in the final moments of the case.

Of much more interest were the episode's bookends in two short scenes involving Root as she tracked down Greer. The microchip from last week's episode was already reverse engineered and thrown on an assembly line, Root told us, so now her job was simple: put a bullet inside Greer somewhere where it hurts. Greer wasn't a man to hide in an evil genius' fortress, so he took public transportation just like anyone else. But sensing he had a tail in Root and The Machine, he called into his people to tinker with the subway's surveillance system. First he blanked the security system. No problem, The Machine went to audio mode to track his footsteps. Then Greer clouded that by turning up the subway's PA system and polluting it with feedback. No problem, The Machine tracked the GPS on his phone. Then Greer dumped his phone in a passerby's pocket. Ummm, help? Greer went off the grid and The Machine was helpless, leaving Root with nothing to do but grab the first grey-haired man she saw instead. (By the way, that man was rude to Root. If Root grabbed me mistakenly, I'd demand that she apologize to me over a drink with a romantic view.) 

In the second scene, which closed out the episode, Root tried it again, but this time she decided to ditch the digital and go analog. Or should I say, ana-dog? Boom! I just earned my paycheck right there! Root "borrowed" Bear for a little reconnaissance, and Greer and The Machine did their little dance again. Only this time, when the phone was ditched, Root told Bear to sniff out that moth-ball stench on Greer, and the two met face-to-face in a suspiciously empty portion of the tubes. After some verbal sparring about who will be on the winning side of this Battle of the Bots, Greer proposed an alliance to Root, saying he could use someone like her on his side because they both know what's up.

It's an interesting proposal even though there's no way in the world Root would ditch her path to join up with Greer, right? I like what Person of Interest is doing here with Root and Shaw, the latter of whom got her own proposal from Vigilance to join their ranks previously. Obviously doubt can't be planted in Reese and Finch because they're the core of the show, but if the writers can—and they're certainly talented enough to do so—conjure up some plots that put Root and Shaw's allegiance (there's that second entendre from the title) up for question, then things could become that much more interesting. Vigilance isn't exactly a cabal of horrible terrorists. They believe they are fighting for the people, like Anonymous with guns. Shaw is no stranger to going AWOL but she still knows which side to fight for, so it isn't inconceivable that she'd take an interest in Vigilance's interests. And Root's devotion is to technology, and who is more poised to be on the forefront of that side than Decima? Person of Interest will need to navigate some narrow paths if it wants to pull this off, but if it does, it will be awesome.

One last thing before I take off. Are we seeing enough of Reese lately? He hasn't exactly been the star of the show since Carter's farewell arc (and even that was more about Carter). Season 3 has done a lot of work to bolster its lethal ladies, and thank the holy Machine they did, but I'm getting antsy about not seeing enough focus on Reese, and there's nothing pointing towards shoving him to the forefront in the final episodes. Yet. He's awesome as muscle and provides some thrills, such as his tackle out of a window and onto the top of a car followed by a no-big-deal shrug, but he's played supporting character for most of the season. 

The story at the center of "Allegiance" didn't make the episode a great outing, but thanks to a few key scenes with Root, some good action, Bear!, and Person of Interest's surprising humor, it was enjoyable. There are still five episodes left in Season 3, so a little pullback was expected, but from here on out, it's war. 

NOTES OF INTEREST

– Fusco made his own Greatest Hits mixtape this week with all his amazing quotes. "How many countries do you think there are in the UN, like fifty-something?" Shaw: "You really should get out more, and learn something about other cultures." Fusco:" What are you talking about, I just ate a falafel!" "Excusez-moi!" "Go figure, turns out immunity doesn't stop you from bleeding." "Drop the gun or I'm gonna get realpolitiky on your ass!" "That's what's great about New York, you don't have to travel to learn about other cultures. They all come here." And of course, the simple but sweet, "Happy New Year, Sameen." AWWWWWW! I love Fusco and Shaw's relationship, and I demand a special episode featuring just the two of them talking to each other. 

– However, my favorite line of the night was just about Fusco. As Reese and Fusco pulled up in that firetruck, there was a gem of a throwaway line from Reese: "Stop playing with the horn, Lionel!" Can you picture Jim Caviezel saying that in post-production? HILARIOUS.

– "Either you're planning to bring Samaritan online, or you're the world's most ambitious gamer." What IF Greer was just a gamer? SWEET RIG, BRO! You could totally dominate Minesweeper with that.

YOUR QUESTIONS OF THE DAY!

– Do you think Root will accept Greer's offer? I don't, but I think the writers will have fun teasing us that she will.

– Do you think this season has been lacking Reese?

– Were you able to follow the labyrinthine story of the week, or did you just nod your head and pretend to understand it like I did?

– Is there anything out there more annoying than rich, powerful white guys?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/5/2015

Season 4 : Episode 22

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/3/2016

Season 5 : Episode 1

253 Comments
Comments (253)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Stop playing with the horn, Lionel!"

I read that with Reese's voice in my head.
Flag
Awesome episode, I really like this season of POI and can't wait for the final 5 episodes. Bring it on.
Flag
I have a little story Idea for POI. I tried to keep it short don't want to bore people.
Instead of giving Ms. Shaw a personality or softening her up a bit; what I have been seeing from other posters.
How about this, give Shaw a younger sister. who aligned herself with the Vigilance mindset. No Military training, learned from organizations like Vigilance. She would not win a fight with Shaw but has skills in computer hacking, stealing some shooting etc.
Back fill story: Ms. Shaw had to help rise younger sister. After father died, Ms. Shaw made mistakes in upbringing (personality disorder). Something happened to sour younger sister to U.S. Government etc. Bring in younger sister by way of number. maybe she came out of jail (Terrorist actives), joined Vigilance.
1 it would make the Vigilance story more personal. 2 It would give Mr. Reese more face time(happy fans), Shaw's preoccupied with sister.

What do you think?

Flag
For Question #3: I was rather confused about most of the endless subplots the first time even though I enjoyed the episode a lot more than some of the other second-half-of-season-episodes, so realizing I needed more info to do wiki work on Wednesday, I rewatched the episode while jotting down notes on Notepad to understand the full plot and make articles for everything on the episode.
Flag
I agree that Reese has been shamefully sidelined recently. The strength of the series was always Finch and Reese against the bad world, rather like McCall and Control in THE EQUALIZER back in the late 80s and which is certainly in the DNA of POI. I'm still not convinced by the character of Shaw and she seems to be even more superfluous since Root started drifting into the good side of the moral spectrum. All you have to remember is that astonishing sequence in THE DEVIL'S SHARE where the original and best Reese was back with a vengeance to remember how good this series is pared back to the basics. Sorry to say but POI would benefit hugely from a Red Wedding clear-out of so many peripheral characters. It's POI, not the Justice League of America!
Flag
Amen indeed.
Flag
All you have to remember is that astonishing sequence in THE DEVIL'S SHARE where the original and best Reese was back with a vengeance to remember how good this series is pared back to the basics. Sorry to say but POI would benefit hugely from a Red Wedding clear-out of so many peripheral characters. It's POI, not the Justice League of America!

Amen to that.
Flag
Love your review and have to agree we NEED to see more of Reese!!!
Flag
I watched this episode and could not stop laughing at Fusco. I really liked the banter between Shaw and Fusco. I hope that are able to stop Greer from bringing his program Samaritan online. I am looking forward to the rest of the season.
Flag
Fusco was MPV of the episode hands down...love the guy.
Shaw had the best scenes...with Fusco and Maria.
Flag
1. No but she might go undercover or ask the Machine if it's wise to do so. She will obviously want to disable Samaritan if she can't free "her" too.

2. Yes but for good reasons. He served his purpose but I like this show better when it's about actual hacking and spying and not hitting guys in the head. To be frank though, Reese has likely many skills that was required by him during his CIA time that isn't shown too much and if they want to bring him more I would like them to focus more on those skills rather than beating up people.

3. It was relatively straight. I assumed the generators was going to Decima the moment we had hints they were missing because why not? Decima likes technology, technology needs electricity and those generators were next generation.

4. I'm not sure what you're referring too but that generator boss was a joke. He actually thought he was playing in the big league. If you're talking about Greer then no way, his kind is awesome!

Anyone else enjoyed the remark about Nation States are becoming a legacy? I smiled when Greer said it. Even if corporations don't want democracy the world will going that direction for the better.

The best part was Greer and Roots conversation of course but I liked how bothered Greer became when Root finished his sentence, implying that the machine knows who he is.
More+
Flag
Reese killed a bad guy, are we not concerned about that? Sure, he probably was a terrorist, but he shoots every bad guy in the leg. I was surprised that everybody seemed fine with throwing a guy out of a window and landing on him. Unless he's a Terminator or something, it's not good!
Flag
Definitely been lacking in the Reese department. I'm hoping that changes soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in the supporting role through the finale. The ladies have some tough choices ahead (though I don't see either of them taking the plunge).
Flag
Fusco had too many silly quips this week. I could have done without these: "Excusez-moi!" "Go figure, turns out immunity doesn't stop you from bleeding." "Drop the gun or I'm gonna get realpolitiky on your ass!"
I like Fusco but he was a little much this week.
Flag
Worst episode yet. Bottom, scraping the bottom. Couldn't finish it. Dull, boring, dull, boring oh and did I mention dull and boring?

Just rename the show from "Person of Interest" to "What is Shaw up to this week".

Seriously, it's no longer funny POI writers. It's time to resign.
Flag
I'm sorry if this has been said already, but I read an article which mentioned that Jim Cavizel was feeling run down and overworked. That consecutive 15 hour days were getting to him. So the show runners decided to add more characters in order to make POI more of an ensemble, to give Jim a bit of a break. Don't know if that is entirely accurate, but that's what I read.

On the one hand I get it, it must be very physically and mentally draining to work that many hours everyday. On the other hand, remember season 1 when he was in practically every scene? It was awesome. Then again that's why he was overworked.

The show runners need to find a way to give us more Reese. The show is still good, but more Reese makes it even better.
Flag
As someone working 15-20 hour days for the past three months, I feel him if that is the case. I want more Reese but I don't want a burned-out Jim.
Flag
Agreed. Can anybody verify this, however? I would rather have some Reese than no Reese.
Flag
I wish I could remember where I read it. I do know it was a couple of months ago though.
Flag
A better episode going back to the battle of the machines , I do think that Root is trying to find Greer weakness and testing him. Reece does need to do more in the later episodes at he become a bit of a bystander. It has become a problem now with Shaw and Root. At least bear got to do some doggie duties although I do expect him to go all cujo soon.
Flag
Yes, I have missed Reese terribly. More Reese.!
Flag
The way things are setting up I am afraid that one of the main character will get killed on the last episode. Who do you think it might be?

&Vote; Here&
Flag
My first choice would be: Reese.
Because we have seen less of him in the forefront since Carter's death and what we've seen of him is different than the Reese we were used to, and also because they seem to want to make the second machine a permanent part of the series. The show will obviously change, wandering between some "number of the week" and the "war of the machines" episodes, like Fringe after they introduce the second universe, until it slow death in season five. My only hope that this will not happen is Jonathan Nolan's involvement in the series. If I'm right and Reese goes, it will probably be in some kind of suicidal maneuvre to save one of the other character (hinted by his run through the window this week).

My second choice would be: Shaw
Which means that the second Machine may be just a temporary arc, like the Elias and the HR arcs, and the show will eventually go back to its original format with a new (or few) serialized arc. Then it may go much beyond five seasons. What makes me nervous here is the intimacy that seems to grow between Fusco and Shaw. It reminds me of a similar event between Reese and Carter before she got taken out.
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
Maybe Zoe. And I like Turco, too. Anyone watch/remember PO5?
Flag
I didn't include Zoe because Paige is mostly guest-staring which she still may be able to do once a while.
Flag
After watching Allegiance a second time, I think I understand now why Root didn't outright kill Greer.

Prior to the confrontation, a machine graphic popped up, looking in Turkey, searching for the missing 6 generators, conclusion: "location unknown" ...

Root begins her conversation with Greer by declaring: "You have taken things that don't belong to you. ..."

I'm thinking 'SHE' told (or asked?) Root to get Greer to reveal where the generators are. That's even knowing Greer likely would not cooperate. I wonder if SHE is worried -- that would be, well, human, right?

As for the armed thugs behind R&B, I'm concerned Bear is becoming a bit too domesticated. The writers can fix that in a future episode. Bear is out with Root or Shaw; she gets into a jam; she says: "Bear -- Protect" followed by Bear tearing off the bad guy's hand, and bringing it back to Root or Shaw.

Good dog!
Flag
Seeing that many commenters seem to be more weary about Bear being killed than the characters maybe it's time for the Networks to bring back Lassie or Rintintin or develop some kind of K9 series. Just sayin' .
Flag
Ahahahah, you might be right XD
Flag
I can't help myself to compare Shaw's fight with the goon in the elevator with the supposedly super-soldier Gabriel (Intelligence) who also had a fight in an elevator (Red-X). Half the size but three times more efficient: Shaw really knows how to kick! :)

Flag
I earlier posted, "was that a double?" -- I watched against last night; it was really her!

I love On-Demand! Watch as much as you want.
Flag
Flag
Flag
I don't believe that Root will join Decima but she may act "as if" in hope to get to and destroy Samaritan from the inside...
Flag
For me the funniest moment was the look exchanged between Reese and Shaw when Finch said that they couldn't possibly think about the UN castle.
Flag
couldn't possibly think about *storming* the UN castle.
Flag
– Do you think Root will accept Greer's offer? I don't, but I think the writers will have fun teasing us that she will.

No, she won't. And I hope they don't spend a lot of time on that, because it's not very convincing of an idea.

– Do you think this season has been lacking Reese?

Yeah, I'm worried about that a little. They killed Carter in part because they had too many compelling regulars, but it looks like they still have more than they can handle. That does lend itself to the possibility of one of the two ladies misguidedly joining the wrong side for next season, but unfortunately I think we're just going to be seeing less of Reese (and his on-again/off-again the delightful Paige Turko) on a regular basis.

Although, I think his ex-partner will show up again soon; they reminded us of her a couple weeks ago in the Finch-centric flashback, and that was for a reason -- she's still working with Greer and the Chinese (or whoever).

– Were you able to follow the labyrinthine story of the week, or did you just nod your head and pretend to understand it like I did?

Yes I did, although I stumbled a bit explaining it to my wife when it came to the involvement of the French Foreign Legion and the Greek attache.

As for rich white guys, let's not be racist or sexist. Rich a-holes come in all colors and genders.

More+
Flag
Kara Stanton died (explosion) so she will only be seen in flashbacks, I guess
Flag
Or did she "die" in an explosion? One wonders . . . .
Flag
I love the hell out of this show but this episode was 'meh'. I am missing a lot of Reese for sure. Also, it was SO obvious the Greek guy was the bad guy instead of that French dude.
Flag
What the Hell. Shaw loses the girl and not so much of a ribbing from anyone?
Is Finch going to look for a book in his library one day, to discover that he has a whole section on lesbian feminism written by S. Groves?
Flag
i totally didnt notice there were lesser reese. the 2-machines storyline currently was so compelling that i didnt notice! i guess it is kinda expected to have less reese considering that in the past the hour is split between finch, reese, carter, lionel, bear (woohoo!) and the episode villian, now its split between finch, reese, lionel, root, shaw, bear (aarrgg, really too little of him/it), the episode villian and the bigger storyline villian, it can be a challenge to allocate the screen time for each character.

Despite not having a lot of reese in this ep, every scene he was in was an absolute delight to watch. it was so bad-ass, absolutely why i watch POI.
Flag
I'd like to see some more Reese centric storylines but not too long ago everybody seemed to be moaning that the secondary characters lack depth. Cant have everything. For me Reese is benefitting from some good Fusco-esque humour after his little tantrum a few episodes ago.The shrug and the eyeing up of tge guy waving a knife before shooting him in the leg were brilliant. I'm quite happy with Reese being a "John McLane" character until his backstory is needed to push the narrative onward again
Flag
Definitely not enough Reese lately. When he is there he's doing the same thing. And we know that character with that actor can do more. I look back on the best episodes, and they were simpler stories filled with great dialogue.

What is particularly odd, and for me taking something away from the show, is how Greer and Decima are constantly ahead without Samaritan even active yet. As they are leaving our guys trailing without it, when it's active it should be game over.

As we know that won't be the case, it's makes this build up a bit odd
Flag
Ok, here is something I don't understand:

According to the Nielsen-numbers this episode got significantly more viewers than last weeks.

When I look at the community-response on the other hand, I get the impression that last week's episode was rated higher (quality-wise) than this week's.
So the question seems to be: Why does the general public seem to favor case-of-the-week episodes over serialized episodes?

Or is there some other reason you think caused those fluctuations? Like a stronger/weaker lead-in, tougher competition or is it just plain coincidence?
Flag
CF its main rival in the timeslot was a repeat this week that would explain the larger numbers this week. CF usually beats POI in the 18-49 demo
Flag
Coincidence. 90% of the time, viewers have no idea before they watch the episode if the balance will tip toward serialized or case of the week, so scheduling and such determine an individual episode's rating rather than the type of episode.
Flag
maybe its partly plain coincidence.

i generally prefers the case-of-the-week episode cos the characters are less serious and more fun to watch but POI has done such good job at the serialized episodes that its can be tricky to pick a side.
Flag
Huh. That's really interesting... But you know, I personally don't put that much stock in the Nielsen rating system anymore. There are lots of reasons why more people may have watched one week over another. Maybe it's simply that more people had time to watch this week over last week. Maybe more people streamed/watched/downloaded (hey, people do it!!) last week's episode online than this week's. Maybe a few new viewers tuned in last week and really liked what they saw and made it a point to watch this week. Especially with the advent of online streaming. In my personal case, I had to watch "/" online, because I went out last Tuesday night. I stayed in Tuesday night of this week, so I decided to support my favorite shows. There are so many reasons and fluctuations, that you can't assume that because more people watched or didn't watch, the ONLY reason that they watched or didn't watch was because they either liked or didn't like the show, when there's so much more to it than that. People aren't robots that are formulated to sit and watch every single week. They have lives - things come up, and TV isn't the top priority in most people's lives (at least I hope not).

It's my opinion that the Nielsen rating system is seriously outdated, and to either judge the life or pin the survival of a show based solely on ratings is what leads to fiascoes like Firefly, or The Dresden Files. I'm not saying to completely ban the system - I'm sure it can still be useful in a lot of ways - but looking only at one certain, specific type of rating is not good statistics. And, this argument has been made many times before by more eloquent and more expert people than me.

Honestly, it could all just be coincidence. I really doubt there's much solid information you could gather based on what I wrote above. Also, you're only comparing two weeks (two episodes, etc.), and "/" aired during the height of the disappearance of Flight 370, so that may also have something to do with it. There was a case where the Nielsen ratings of Once Upon a Time dropped last year due to people losing power from blizzards on the east coast.

TL:DR; There are so many factors why or why not, and we need to find a system more encompassing than Nielsen ratings.
More +
Flag
I honestly like how the show has moved to a more ensemble type of show, there is no longer one 'hero', but a team, and I think that is a good thing.

However I do think there needs to be a good Reese centric episode soon, and where is Zoe? I love it when they team up.
Flag
Zoe is a regular on the '100' and apparently poised to be a regular on the new NCIS spinoff, so she's way too busy for Reese.
Flag
Don't really care about less Reese. The guy is narratively dead right now, and Shaw is just that much cooler (plus, Shaw and Fusco being bros makes me daaw).
Flag
Reece hasn't been the same since Kara Stanton died. They made an awesome team and loads of great back story.
Flag
Standard episode, case of the week was so predictable ! Figured it was the Greek guy straight away. This episode was too Shaw-centric for my liking, Root scenes were interesting but why would the old guy who is obviously very powerful be traveling alone in the subway anyway ! With the amount of resources he seems to muster it just seemed a bit silly , the whole cloak and dagger thing in the tunnels. Fusco getting more screen time was definitely a good thing and his chemistry with Shaw is actually growing on me. But yet again Reece was playing 2nd fiddle which always leads to a weaker episode.
Flag
This was a very good standalone. It did tie into the major arc, but mostly it was standalone. The Root bookends were a nice touch, although Root should've just shot Greer. Or, have Reese show up and ask for Bear back, taking out the two guards on the way. I was able to follow the convolutions of this weeks episode fairly well. B+ I cannot wait for the ultimate showdown.
Flag
Unlike our revered but snarky reviewer I have always liked the stand-alone episodes, they are what show our heroes to be heroes. I personally thought the weakest parts of this particular episode were the bookends, especially at the end. If Root was trying to stop Decima by killing Greer, why didn't she? Did she really think that she would get him to return the hard drives, chips and generators by threatening him with a gun? What was he supposed to do, call Federal Express and have them all delivered back where they came from while they stood there in the very empty subway tunnel? As soon as she walked down those stairs and saw him standing there she should have put a bullet in him. She has proved time and time again she is perfectly capable of that. But of course that has always been the problem with super-villains, you put them in a very vulnerable position and then allow them to get away by talking to them instead of just shooting them. Of course that is how super heroes get out of jams too; villains explain things to them instead of just killing them. Writers really need to get around that. Don't create a logical situation and then resolve it illogically. SHE SHOULD HAVE JUST SHOT HIM!! But...would that have stopped Decima? Who knows? And yes, I think Jim Caviezel is leaving the series after this season.
Labyrinthine? Really? I thought it was pretty straight forward.
More+
Flag
I must say I agree with you. The beginning was ok, but the end was total crap. Why didn't bear alert root about the men with guns? Sloppy! And frankly root is one character who doesn't care about consequences. I'd imagine her siccing (is that a word? ) bear on the men and shooting the old guy.
Flag
I hope we get some backstory on Greer because right now he's kind of hard to figure out. We've seen a lot of ruthless professional killers on this show but, Kara, Snow, other CIA agents, Control, Hersh, and the others all killed for their country, which not only made them slightly redeemable, it humanized them, even made them a little relateable (be honest, deep down inside wouldn't we all love to kill terrorists). And Vigilance kills for what they believe to be a noble cause. In their minds even though they are fighting against the government they still see themselves as fighting for their country. They all justify their actions with the notion that they are protecting innocent lives. But Decima doesn't protect innocent lives and Greer doesn't kill for country, he's anti-country. Not anti-government, anti-country. He seems annoyed by the fact that countries even exist. What has to happen to a person to make them loyal to a corporation (or whatever the hell Decima is) the way most people are to their country. I hope the writers explain that rather than just leave Greer as some kind of cartoon supervillain whose actions don't resemble any kind of human logic.
Flag
This was a great episode like all are on this show, but the one liners from Fusco were awesome. They have really given him some dialog chops in this season. I love Fusco, he has been really good lately. Yes missing Reese..whats up with that. I know they are giving more screen time to the others but, We need the cool, funny, handsome and dangerous Reese. The episode always feels like something is missing when they do that. We need more REESE guys and a course ROOT.... and Bear....
Flag
Agree with all who appreciate Fusco. Lionel and the horn! Boys and toys.

But I want to discuss that fire axe. Was that amazing?!

Lionel turned that into a blazing Battle Axe -- whamo, right into the wall. GOT visits POI. More of that, please! ;)
Flag
Definitely miss Reese being in the forefront of the episodes. If it weren't for Reese in Season 1, I would have never gotten as engaged with POI as I am now. I watch every week to see REESE, or Reese and Finch. Still miss Carter terribly, but Fusco has gotten more interesting and more ironic, too. My love affair is not with POI, but with the urban legend, John Reese.
Flag
I was a little disappointed when they did the usual opening, got used to special ones.
Flag
P.P.S.: William Aradie played Sevon, the Greek diplomat.

Flag
Talk about blurring the lines between reality and fiction: Shaw's story about her father fleeing the Iranian Revolution so she can be born later mirrors actress' Sarah Shahi's own biography.

P.S.: quick note on the use of french in this episode (I'm from Quebec and french is my first language). Both Michael Gill and William Aradie spoke french perfectly (and even Fusco's comical "Excusez-moi" came out well), but I have to concede to Mr. Gill's french accent lacking somewhat, if not completely disappearing in some scenes.
Flag
For a moment even I got the "feels" of her real feelings about that complicated kind of situation back then(of her fathers), even though it was in the canon of the show! Well acted. And her face when Fusco wishes her on Nawruz!!!
Flag
This show has a wealth of really good characters. Elias (kudos to Veronica Mars father), Zoe, Leon, and of course Root and Shaw. You could send Reese and Finch on vacation for an episode or two and leave Shaw and Root in charge and it would be fine. How many other shows are that good?

I'd love to see more of John but we saw a lot of him in the early seasons. and it may not work out for him to be center stage very often.

Humor, great characters, and a good plot. Best written show on TV&
Flag
Did anybody else find Michael Gill's "french accent" uttery atrocious?
Flag
Overall, enjoyed it a lot (as I do most PoI episodes). However, the details seem to be lacking lately.

Yes! I miss Reese. He seems to be an afterthought most episodes. Finch is faring moderately better. And after the careful development of two such complicated and rich characters and their relationship ... it's disappointing to see them as caricatures of themselves.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the awesome Machine storyline, the lack of character development would have turned me off. I watched the show because of Finch and Reese ... I keep watching out of fondness for the characters but I would not have been so enamored if they were in season 1 what they are now.

I'm also a bit tired of the "PoI is a glaring idiot" plot device that they use in order to move the story forward. Seriously, Maria was a moron. What did she really think she was going to do w/ the stolen memo? I'm also still a little confused at the UN involvement the whole affair. I guess the show is going w/ the "UN has super powers and can actually tell first world countries what to do" route?

And darnit Root, it was all good until you hung out and had a conversation w/ Greer instead of plugging him in your usual cold, efficient, creepily happy way. However, I am intrigued by the apparently Machine sanctioned killing. Wow.

Still love it, not going anywhere, wish they could combine the old character development with the new storylines =[
More+
Flag
surprising joke. that is one of many reasons i love this show. every character can throw their own joke
Flag
I am in love with Fusco! "how many countries do u think are on the UN, like 50 something"; St Thomas - "you mean the US virgin islands"; "stop playing with the horn lionel'! Lol! Had me in stitches. :)
Flag
The storyline was kinda dumb this week. It was overly complicated for nothing. We saw the man, Davis, being the bad guy the moment he introduced himself. At least he did speak decent French.
Maria and Omar were not good enough to sell it. Sorry actors, but you could've done better.
Root shouldn't have talked with Greer, she should've just shot him and then leave.
I don't really mind less Reese. I'm guessing it might be because Jim asked for less screentime? This show is physical for him and he's aging. He might not like it as much as before. Idk. But I really don't mind more Shaw & Root and less Reese.
Flag
Root might go double-agent. She'll never willingly betray her god, but going with Greer's proposal to get on the inside would be just her style.

Yes, it is a shame that Reese has been taking a back seat for much of this season. But that still doesn't change the fact that PoI is the best there is.

Was the story so complicated? White guys in suits expecting to get their way just because they usually do. Pretty straight forward.

No. But I'd still like to be one.
Flag
I can see Root being a triple agent!
Flag
I don't get it?
Flag
Everyone thinks Root is working for the machine, she becomes a double agent with Samaritan - but it turns out she is working on her own plan.
The flaw is her new hearing aid - if she was working for herself, the machine could just kill her when it finds out.
There are probably a few other flaws as well
Flag
Aha. Brilliant. That would be so like her. :-)
Flag
Man those Greer-thugs sure are stealthy. The can sneak up on Bear!
... or is Bear getting too many treats?
Flag
I love this show, but there is no way in hell two armed men sneak up on a Military Working Dog. no way. My only gripe for the episode.
Flag
Now I learn Root will be Coulson's love interest. Acker is very much in demand:

Amy Acker to Play Famous Role from Coulson's Past
Flag
Yay for S.H.I.E.L.D. :D
Flag
Root will stay loyal to the Machine or die trying.
Will this season end with the activation of Samaritan? Seems predictable, right?

No need to speculate on what will happen in the last two episodes. I only end up over-speculating, and then disappointment will ensue. Better to just concentrate on my day job, and let POI surprise me.

Still, only 2 episodes left this season. Time to ramp it up guys!
Flag
2 episodes left this season? This was the 18th. There are still 5 more episodes left.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members