A Person of Interest Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBS
Let’s be honest. We miss Bear! He has been absent in the last four episodes while he had been present in so many of the episodes since he came into our lives in the first episode of season 2. Especially in those episodes he is absent, we get a good feeling that the TV.com commenters really love him: they are always telling the others they missed him and they are asking for more screen time. The promo for next week season finale shows he will make an appearance with an impact (literally).

Before I start, a little reminder: If you liked reading this post, please give it a heart, either on the top right side or bottom left side of the post. Please do this for all the (featured) posts from all the writers you read and like. It is the reward for us (non-paid amateur) writers who try to make this site more fun for us all. In this way we know it is appreciated what we do and we will keep on writing.It also will alert staff that we like the show and it might get more coverage.

Back to the star of this post: Bear. It will be great having him back, but before we get there I would like to take some time to share some of the best moments Bear has given me on the series.

Bear is a Belgian Malinois adopted by John Reese. As trained military dog, he responds only to Dutch commands. They meet in one of those POI scenes that are best because they do not show the fight but implicitly let us know what happened. In this case we only see one guy being thrown out of a window. Being Dutch I love that our language plays a role in the series. Understanding the Dutch they use is another thing, they all have quite an American accent. But, I once even learned a new Dutch word that was used by Reese..

When Reese first encounters Bear he is called Butcher. Reese gives Bear his new name because he ate the bearer bonds Leon had stolen while waiting in the car for Reese and Leon to return.

I am an avid book reader and and especially love libraries. I have amsl one at homes that covers about one room. I loved it when Finch’s hideout was ‘The Library’. We get to know that Bear also loves rare first edition books but not in the way Finch and I love them. He brings one to Finch in his mouth, much to Finch's dismay.

Although at first, Finch does not seem pleased to have Bear around, he begins to warm up to him when Bear helps him to recover after Root abducted him. We now know Finch loves him and Bears relation with all the others is the same. He is a full part of the team, a central character in the series and everyone loves him. We have seen scenes where he is taken care off by all of the major characters. I especially love this picture of his interaction with Leon.

On some occasions, Bear goes undercover with Reese.My favourite one is where Bear pretends to be sick so that Finch and Reese can protect a vet who is threatened by four armed youths intent on stealing ketamine. Reese shoots three of the would-be thieves, but Bear catches the fourth who held the vet at gunpoint.

Being an ex military dog, Bear has some outstanding fighting abilities. Regrettably we seldom see those abilities as Reese and the others are very well able to handle all the bad guys themselves. In some instances his help is necessary, like the time they met with some Estionan mafia guys.

But let’s be honest, Bear is also at his best in the moments where he adds to the chemistry and humour that Finch and Reese give us. The scene where they both bathe him is a great one.

The producers never gave Bear any special treatment like we can see in this picture where the rest of the cast is looking very cold and they only one being comfortable really seems to be Bear.

As a bit of extra info, Bear has his own (unofficial Twitter) account that can be found here. It is in Dutch, thus coming from either a fellow Dutchman or a Flemish Belgian one. He has got almost 6000 followers.

Before we realise that the moments we will have with Bear on the season finale are the best, what were your favourite Bear moments until now?
90 Comments
Comments (99)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
My most recent favorite moment w BEAR is in the episode The High Road. aka John and Zoe move to the 'burbs with Bear. He really enjoyed that freedom romp in the Sun when he crashed the BBQ! But who's voice is that saying "who's the good dog"...that's Finch's line, smile
Flag
I finally found the heart after my cataract surgery. Itty bitty thing!!
Flag
And now you have to click it :-)
Flag
The High Road, That was also a fun one.

And from your other reply:
I'm late to the game as I really just became a fan. Never to late to join and enjoy.

But i can't find the heart to click on this mobile site. As said in the post, there should be 'hearts' you can click on the upper right corner and bottom left corner of the post. Personally I can see them on my phone.
Flag
His twitter tag translates to, "Tall man in suit shooting people. I am his now."
Flag
Is that the original Bear? My friend thinks the dog looks different and is concerned that something might have happened to the original Bear. Anybody know? Thanks!
Flag
There is an answer but....
Flag
Haha, "Dutch commands". As a Dutch person myself, I can say the commands sound more like German :P But hey, they're trying their best. ;) Love these scenes with Bear!
Flag
As I am Dutch too, I think they sound like an American trying to say Dutch words. But they might sound the same as an American trying to say German words.
Flag
Exactly :P
Flag
You already mentioned my favorite--the scene where Finch first succumbs to Bear's charms. Bear keeps giving him the slimy ball to throw, and finally he does, and germaphobic Finch is ever afterwards in love with his new library mate.
Flag
I indeed loved it, that's why I used that photo for representing the post also.

Flag
When he was by Reese's bedside in "The Devil' Share"!!

When Shaw comes into the library for the first time and he greets her and Finch looks so confused.

BEAR!!!
Flag
It was so sweet him sitting next to the bed. And Bear and Shaw have that awesome relation. He loved her from the start.
Flag
awww, I am looking up this episode on the tvguide schedule now!! I missed it before. Thanks!!
Flag
I have two favorite Bear moments and they are the first time we meet Bear and then the scene where Reese and Finch give him a bath.
Flag
As you have read in my post, they are amongst my favourites too!
Flag

Was it Fusco that said the only one who liked Shaw was the dog.
Flag
That sounds like something he might have said.
Flag
The time when bear was out of sorts and Finch realized that Bear needed a play date.
Flag
I had forgotten about that one, but I do remember now. Nice.
Flag
This is a small one but in the beginning of "devil's share" when the first four minutes is the montage done to Johnny Cash, there's a small scene where you can see Bear next to a recovering Mr. Reese. My heart melted.
Flag
Great one!
Flag
Bear is quite the stud-muffin. I'm even more of a fan since visiting his official web site:

Graubaer’s Boker
Flag
Yes, the acting dog is. Him being trained in Dutch commands is even real. There are video's showing it. When he is praised it is in English though.

I didn't want to mention him as this is a story about Bear. Just like I usually wouldn't mention Jim Caviezel's accomplishments in a post on Reese. But its great you mentioned it.
Flag
I forgot his facebook page:

Graubaer's Boker A.K.A BEAR

Flag
I wanted to add, I had no idea what a champion he is!
Flag
Also, what adorable "Bear" cubs:

Flag
You forget all the scenes when Mr. Reese and Shaw fight for the dog's attention. I think Root had some nice scenes with Bear, too.
Flag
You are completely right, most of the scenes were pretty great, but everyone has his or hers favourites. And if I would name all, where would that leave room for the readers to comment :-)
Flag
There should be a POI spinoff called 'Dog of Interest', Bear could go around saving dogs from nasty situations and taking people down my biting them in the kneecaps.
Flag
Maybe he could take Reese or Shaw along to jump on them and shoot them in the arms in case he is busy biting other kneecaps.
Flag
The scene where Team Machine meets Bear is one of top 5 scenes of entire show. Everything is done so well. Reese giving Dutch commands, Bear obeying, then music stops, awkward silence, everybody starts looking at everybody else in nervous way. Then cut to exterior and window so you just know somebody will fly out of it.
Flag
I agree, that's why I put it as first one in the post (ok, after the promo). That look of surprise but also 'what's gonna happen' on Leon's face when Reese tells them they used the same kind of dogs in their unit in Tikrit.
Flag
Plus
Reese "I don't have many friends. Just the one in fact."
Fusco "Mmmmmmm!"
Reese "OK, maybe two."
Flag
I bet no-one expected Bear to become the central character ;)

Perhaps The Machine really only exists to help Bear find his long lost family or something. This was really Lassie all along! Well....... better than than Machine vs Machine....
Flag
I assume they must haven been very happy that it worked out so well with Bear.
Flag
Well... I'm not so sure..... Great TV, but they are also now kind of stuck with the character! No-one will dare kill off Bear! He could 'go on holiday' I suppose
Flag
I know it doesn't matter but I've had this on my mind since I've found the twitter account of Bear and wanted to say it to someone.

That twitter account isn't from a Dutch or Flemish person (sorry to contradict you Rolamb). Unless someone proofs me wrong, or the owner is translating Dutch to English then putting that into Google Translate, letting the program translate it from English back to Dutch and twittering that translation. Which would suggest a lot of dedication. Because those sentences don't always make sense if you know the Dutch language, or it's intentional cause Bear didn't get the same education as a human would.

I do have to admit that it’s been a while since I’ve been to see Bear’s tweets so they might have improved.
Flag
You might absolutely be right, but I always assumed the crappy Dutch was done intentionally as he is a dog. His Dutch sounds like that of a very young child,someone who is not fully developed.
Flag
I thought about that too, but if you look at it in English it's almost perfect, only small mistakes.
Flag
You are right, it really is close.
Flag
Oh and don't forget, it was Bear who really ended up bringing Shaw into the team and breaking her shell.
Flag
Absolutely. They really liked each other from the start. The first time they meet (in an ambulance after Finch and Reese saved her from Hersh)), he greets her by licking her face.

Flag
I'm hoping Bear will have his own video barking channel like that whining husky - Misha.
Flag
The dog that plays Bear has a channel with some of his own and some of Bear's video's.
Flag
Fabulous post!
I &3 Bear
Flag
Excellent idea for a commentary; excellent post!

If, the showrunners just happen to lurk here, wondering what the fans think, I really do hope they get the message, and respond by featuring Bear in every episode next season, even if a cameo appearance is all. Or at least a mention, like Lionel is the Care-Bear for the ep.

Hey, producers, Bear matters to us, okay?
Flag
Thank you for your compliment. I try to also have some fun posts next to the somewhat more serious ones/reviews of the site. I had one on POI before, did you ever read ShOot, FuSh or MoRe?
Flag
Yes; I really enjoyed it. Even left a comment, which is still there.

"Root lived in a cage for awhile, with Bear keeping her company."
Flag
Thank you, hope you keep following me and appreciating my posts. And remember, always 'heart' every post you like (from any writer off course).
Flag
Thanks. Love you!
Flag
Everyone loves Bear (for sure^^)
Flag
Indeed. What's not to love?
Flag
;-)
why did my "heart" turn into an "and" symbol?

test: &3 vs &3
Flag
I &3 Bear
I &3 @Rolamb;-)
Flag
Oh thank you, blush ......

Maybe you should use ♥ instead of &?
Flag
I have been mercilessly teased for repeatedly misspelling work. But I have been informed it means "Grudge" in Dutch.

I &3 you more. The both of you! ;-p
Flag
@edshrinker
wrok sounds fun~what does it mean?
I &3 eddy;-)
Flag
And get a room you two, or I will have a wrok against both of you
Flag
I am having a wrok against the absence of Bear.

Do what you want. But NEVER hurt the dog! (Many times repeated quote from L O S T)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members