A Person of Interest Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBS

Person of Interest S03E02: "Nothing to Hide"

Get off the Facebook! Delete those pictures of your credit card info from your Instagram! Stop updating your profile on AllMyPersonalInfo.Net! Person of Interest approached the issue of internet privacy head on in "Nothing to Hide," a direct response to all the real-life NSA hoo-ha that happened during Person of Interest's offseason, not to mention the daily routines of online junkies who unwittingly leave roadmaps of their lives on the internet with every click of their smartyphones and computer boxes. And you know what? It was a VAST improvement over last week's Navy-themed Season 3 premiere

Series creator Jonah Nolan's head must have exploded with glee when news of the NSA's data-collection broke. Not only could he gloat about predicting the government's invasion of the public's privacy, but it also validated his show that much more. However, the issue *does* raise the question of whether Reese and Finch and their mechanized superfriend—who are doing something similar with regard to collecting information—are also mistreating the right to privacy. After all, if he wanted to, Finch could find out that you've been watching Dads on demand with just a few strokes of the keyboard. "Nothing to Hide" went out of its way to distance our heroes from greedy data miners and put us all at ease that the Machine won't abuse its privileges to make fun of our Netflix queue. 

Our person of interest this week was Wayne Kruger, a hotshot internet dude whose company Lifetrace operated under the guise of connecting old friends when really it was taking information that people volunteered (including what they ate through cross promotions with grocery store loyalty programs, so stop buying Funyuns) and selling it to other businesses. But the lecherous Kruger was identified as a victim, not a perpetrator, because someone was systematically dismantling his life piece by piece. The mystery party destroyed his marriage by hacking a corny anniversary slideshow with spliced footage of Kruger's affairs (though that lame cheeseball video should've been enough of a reason to end that union). Then they went after his bank accounts and credit. Then they had his fine-ass (his words, not mine) secretary walk out on him. Then they posted his own past indiscretions, which included a history of a DUI and bankruptcy, on his Lifetrace profile after he declared that he had nothing to hide. That ruined a potential business deal before anything could be signed, and Kruger's life plopped into the toilet. 

"Nothing to Hide" stripped away Kruger's character as his life was ruined, so that by the time we reached the halfway point of the episode, there was no doubt that Kruger was a jerk. Lifetrace had a history of being exploited by no-gooders or not working the way it was supposed to, and Kruger didn't care one bit. One Lifetrace member had his profile conflated with a rapist's because they shared the same name. Oops! Another lady had naughty bedroom pictures with an ex exposed, ruining her current relationship. And one Chloe Harper was murdered by a psycho ex-boyfriend after he found her information on Lifetrace three times. All these victims (or their families) came together to bring a class-action lawsuit against Kruger and Lifetrace, but it never went anywhere. And all these victims were being aided by an anonymous party who sent them packages with instructions on how to get back at Kruger, hence the hacked anniversary video, the emptying of Kruger's bank accounts, and the posting of Kruger's past on his Lifetrace profile. Through it all, one man—the father of the woman who was killed by her ex—emerged as the prime suspect and ringleader of the complex Operation Kruger Takedown.

As we neared the end of the episode, all compassion for Kruger had been obliterated and Person of Interest had painted him (and by extension, data brokers in general) as a greedy, amoral asshole. Even after Reese and Finch saved his life and took him to a safehouse, Kruger couldn't wait to bust out of there and revisit the ruined business deal after the interested company decided to give him another chance. But here's the twist! The guy who called the meeting, a man named Collier who'd infiltrated the interested company, was part of a network of activists who "have chosen action over apathy to take back what men like [Kruger] and the government have stolen." Yes, maybe the odd meeting in a empty hotel banquet room with just one person from the company showing up should've been a red flag, but I was still thrilled that this guy turned out to be an avenger for the internet. And what he said—"This wasn't a game, Mr. Kruger. This was a lesson, the first."—implied that we've got ANOTHER new group to add to Person of Interest's mythology, and they're like a superpowered militant Anonymous. Can I just say... AWESOME. What a perfect addition to the series! Anyway, Collier shot Kruger dead and there was much rejoicing. (He shot Reese, too, but obviously Reese was wearing a bulletproof vest, but even if he wasn't I think Reese would have ripped the bullet out of his own chest and thrown it back it Collier, instantly killing him with a shot right between the eyes.)

"Nothing to Hide" separated the good from the bad from the unknown in the debate over the morality of information collecting. Obviously Kruger's kind—who will sell your Instagram photos of what you ate—are the worst and most despicable. "Your business is minding other people's business," Finch told Kruger, with more than a hint of disgust. Finch defended the Machine's use of information by saying that it's airtight, and only spits out a social-security number and nothing more. And that's fine and dandy as long as the Machine is never compromised (though it's not as impenetrable as Finch thinks it is, if Season 2 is any indication). And the members of Collier's unnamed group are the wild cards, the hackerz and vigilantes for a free and uncensored internet that isn't abused by corporations and the government. Jonah Nolan has always been an idealist with both Person of Interest and the real world, and he genuinely believes in the power of good as it pertains to technology. He loves gadgets and gizmos and understands their benefits, but he can't ignore the potential pitfalls of an always-connected society. "Nothing to Hide" was his most on-the-nose (and sometimes heavy-handed) depiction of this, and he weaved it excellently into Person of Interest's world.

Meanwhile, Carter was still snooping around the Cal Beecher murder case, convinced there was more to the story than what she knew. That looks like it will be part of a season-long arc for her as she gets closer to taking out HR and Quinn. But of more immediate importance was her new partner, the fresh-outta-the-academy Laskey. He looked up to her and knew of her legendary triumphs, but Carter had no time to show him the ropes, what with all the behind-the-scenes investigating she's doing and helping out Reese. It was a gutsy move for Laskey to speak his mind in an attempt to sway Carter into giving him a chance, and I respect the guy for it. 

HOWEVER. I've read some of your comments and already several of you are saying Laskey is a dirty cop working for HR to take Carter down. Sure, you're probably right, but come on, why do you have to be so cynical? Let's give the guy a chance! Look at his face! Would a dirty cop really throw up at the sight of a dead body like Laskey did? Is Spontaneous Regurgitation Control (SRC) part of the training program for HR? I'm going with he's a good kid who HR will try to recruit because he's partnered with Carter. (Though chronologically, Carter did bump into Quinn at Beecher's grave and THEN Carter met Laskey, meaning Quinn could have planted him, but that would have required very quick work.) But we can all agree that Laskey is going to die, right? 

"Nothing to Hide" was a big step up from "Shore Leave," and more like the ideal episode model for Person of Interest. The case-of-the-week story was good, it weaved in some potential bigger mythology, and we're all left with something to think about (get off the Facebook!). Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Nigerian prince who I have to make some lucrative business deals with via email.

LINES OF CODE

– BAD DOG, BEAR! How could you allow Kruger to knock Finch over the head and let him get away? Kruger's body should have been halfway through Bear's digestive tract when Finch woke up. You're a military attack dog, not a military slow-down-the-bad-guy dog! No treats for you.

– This week's episode featured a much better use of Samantha Shaw, if you ask me. She was more like an errand girl for Reese and Finch than a big part of the team, which suits me fine because I'm all about Reese and Finch. You guys are all having a big debate over her character, and that's good. We should be talking about it. But before anyone gets too upset and cries bloody murder, let's also give the situation some time to evolve. Nolan and Greg Plageman are still working things out. For extra reading on this, check out my POI story from Comic-Con, where I asked Sarah Shahi if she thought adding Shaw to the team would disrupt the dynamic. 

– No Root. That sucked. But her addition would have made this episode pretty busy. (Not that Person of Interest is any stranger to heavily packed episodes.)

– When that elevator was in free-fall with Kruger inside, did it just stop? Shouldn't that thing have been crushed like a tin can?

– I loved Finch's attitude toward Kruger over his hacking skills. His curt "Do you mind?" when Kruger peered over his shoulder and his dismissive huff over Kruger asking him whether he needed Kruger's password were hilarious. Michael Emerson played those moments perfectly. 

– Kruger: "You can't fight the technology. Those crying the loudest probably have something to hide." Finch: "People who say they have nothing to hide almost always do." So basically, everyone has something to hide and we're all perverts. I would not argue against that.

POLLS OF INTEREST

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/30/2016

Season 5 : Episode 9

Next Episode

TONIGHT AT 10PM

Season 5 : Episode 10

191 Comments
Comments (191)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Great show, important issue, skilful script and acting (except the new token stereotype Latino girl). Unfortunately, we are lulled into state of 'there are good guys fighting (albeit outside the LAW) to protect us against the baddies'. The fact is that the baddies are breeding fast, with Silk Road, Las Vegas mafia, HK fake manufacturers and rogue politicians profiteering from the new face recognition and lifestyle mapping technologies to effectively DESTROY 5 millennia of our civilization... Can you see da Vinci or Socrates surviving today?
Flag
I liked Shaw's role in this episode, working alongside Reese. The less Root the better, IMO.
Flag
You know what this show used to have? It used to have class. Dignity. And now, I'm sorry but it's becoming schlocky, almost junky at times. Take me all the way back to season one, when it was simple and streamlined with the gradual revealing of backstory to keep you watching. That was a nearly flawless season. Remember the episode where Reese got shot and Finch had to come rescue him? Remember how awesome that was? I could think of at least a dozen other Reese and Finch moments. Crisp banter. Brotherly bonding. Now? We have... Shaw. And Root. It's not that I mind female characters. Carter has proven to be excellent. Zoe is always welcome. But I'm sorry, Root is annoying as hell, and Shaw has zero chemistry. (Maybe the Root opinion will be more controversial than Shaw, but just let me rank, 'k?)

I don't even mind that they're starting to build a Machine Mythos. That's cool. But they're wrapping it up with this psychopathic girl who wants to worship the Machine and calls it "she." That's eye-rolling cartoonish.

As for Shaw, she was clearly brought on because they're trying (as always) to tally up as many brownie points as possible with the PC crowd and wanted to make EXTRA sure EVERYONE knows Nolan and Co. believe GIRLS CAN BE BADASS TOO. But they couldn't just sprinkle in the occasional episode of Shaw being badass, they HAD to shoehorn her in as a regular. So, congratulations: You just ruined one of the best two-man partnerships on television. Hope you're happy.
More+
Flag
I hate to say anything negative about this show because I love it so much, but I have to agree with you about the first season. I go back to the DVD set and there is not one episode of that season I would skip. I can't say the same for season 2. Maybe the "new" has worn off.
Flag
RANT. Let me RANT. (Where's the edit feature on this site?)
Flag
Loved this episode. Want the rookie to be one of the good guys.. more pure people please on this show! what else are they trying to protect if everyone's evil anyway? :)
Flag
Still prefer the trinity "Originals" of John, Finch and Carter. Their chemistry was unshakeable. Bear & Fusco were always fun as their groupie.
Flag
I agree. Dontget me wrong, i like shaw, but i cant help but feel that now that we have less time with john and finch as they have to accomodate more time to other characters. :(
Flag
I really liked the episode, and I was thrilled they failed. I was thinking in the middle of it how they should occasionally fail to save someone (I can't remember the last time they failed) just to give the rest of the cases a hint of danger that's lacking from the show.

On the elevator, you can't hack one into crashing. You can disable the digital safeguards, that's what the free-fall was, but there are still manual safeties in place that don't rely on electronics and are almost impossible to disable without triggering a warning and/or stopping the elevator from working completely.

I actually really liked that bit, maybe they could have explained it to the audience, but yeah it was actually realistic. A lot of stuff you see "hacked" on TV/movies is flat out unhackable, designers and engineers spend a huge amount of time on safety mechanisms, it's good to see that being remembered.
Flag
They have failed before (there was the episode with the hurricane and the one with the doctor who was poisoned... those showcased their helplessness if the machine was going wonky)

but what makes this show interesting isn't if they fail or don't its sometimes the twists.
1. THere was an early esason 1 episode where the doctor was about to kill the rapist who essentially made her sister commit suicide. at the end reese had to decide what he would do with the sumbag and it ended with a ridiculous cliffhanger.
2. The one with the stolen identity. i mean yeah they succeeded but it was interesting
3. THe one with the baby, again... they didn't fail but damn that was a close call.
4. The one that introduced elias. you could even say that was the ultimate fail... or was it? hahahah

I too appreciate the elevator bit.

What bothered me with this failuere and i think that tim mentioned it in his review but normally, even with the scumbags, they are haunted by their failures. this one was very much- oh well lets move on to the big bad.
More +
Flag
I doubt Laskey is a bad guy it's way too obvious HR is more creative than that. He's a red herring.
Flag
Fusco hasn't done much lately. Is it a question of the actor's availability? Is that why they've bumped Sarah Shahi up to a regular?

I really like Shaw, but I think having her in every episode is too much of a good thing and she'd be more effective if she just showed up every now and then. But too much Shaw is better than no Shaw at all.
Flag
I like Shaw. I think that she's a complex and intriguing character, as are all the characters on the show. I’m looking forward to her upcoming backstory and the further development of her character as the season progresses. I think that Shaw is a great addition to the show, as is Root.
Flag
put me on Team Shaw - I loved Sarah Shahi since she did LIFE with Damien. a little surprised they treated Bear with such disrespect; Shaw eating the quail eggs was hilarious - she obvo spent too much time on stakeouts and in foreign lands with bad food.
Flag
So Shaw refers to Reese as Finch's "poorly socialized pet" (Season 2, Trojan Horse), then we see her masticating a slab of steak off the end of a knife and eating quail eggs with her fingers. Pot, meet kettle.
Flag
I hated it that Shaw was in every shot with Reese and Finch. Even in the last scene where it usually was only the two of them discussing the case. She was walking between them while they were talking, adding nothing to the conversation, just being there to make sure we can't forget about her not even for a damn second. She still puts Reese down and him pretending not to notice (or care) doesn't make me feel better about it. It's not really banter if only one keeps talking down to the other while that other just takes it like a brave soldier he is. It feels kind of wrong when it's so one sided (at least with Carter or Zoe it was a two way street, and it didn't make me feel he is becoming a wimp). The way she grabbed the glass from him made cringe. (I'm not even going to discuss that last scene where he needed her to carry him, I'll just erase it from my mind and pretend it never happened)
Anyway, I'm glad that there was more of Finch in this episode even if now Fusco seemed to go missing mostly. He needs a storyline bad. Carter's new partner is cute but probably corrupt as hell (I wonder when will TPTB finally decide that she was put through enough sh*t already and give her a break because this new parter is definitely not it. Everyone needs a win from time to time). It didn't get past me that she was bitter the entire episode and I have a feeling, if something doesn't change, that this is going to become tiring.
I'm also disappointed in Bear a little but I don't know how dogs think exactly so I can't judge (I think he might need a voiced command to become truly vicious). Still love him to bits though.
Other than that, the POI was perfect. Loved to despise him through and through and I didn't really care he got killed. Also liked the fact that the victims were given the chance to take revenge. It bothered me at first that they jumped to the conclusion that the janitor was the mastermind, not just another victim (after all, he was in the same position as the other two) but it turned out pretty good. Come to think of it, it took some real courage from that girl (who seemed pretty harmless) to dress up as a waitress and James Bond herself to that party to change the recording. I would have sweat buckets and would have looked shady as hell... lol

Also loved the fact that this was a lesson. And it wasn't directer primarily at the victim (he didn't get it, not even at the very end which is kind of sad), it was a lesson to the victims (who won't let themselves victimized a second time), the world, and probably to the group itself to prove that they can take down whoever needed to be taken down. At least that's how I saw it.

More+
Flag
"I hated it that Shaw was in every shot with Reese and Finch. Even in the last scene where it usually was only the two of them discussing the case. She was walking between them while they were talking, adding nothing to the conversation, just being there to make sure we can't forget about her not even for a damn second. She still puts Reese down and him pretending not to notice (or care) doesn't make me feel better about it. It's not really banter if only one keeps talking down to the other while that other just takes it like a brave soldier he is. It feels kind of wrong when it's so one sided (at least with Carter or Zoe it was a two way street, and it didn't make me feel he is becoming a wimp). The way she grabbed the glass from him made cringe. (I'm not even going to discuss that last scene where he needed her to carry him, I'll just erase it from my mind and pretend it never happened) "

I so agree with every line: she constantly is in the middle, she puts Reese down and, as it wasn't evough, he's acting like a wimp and yes, I wanna erase that image from my mind as well.
More +
Flag
Like most of the people commenting I was also suprised that our favorite character Bear let the attacker go. But, as he is a very wel trained dog, he will defend his owner (Finch) and only attack when ordered. If he only defends Finch, Kruger might be slowed down but he will be able to get away.

As Tim already suggested, next training item: sense wrongfull intention against Finch. In that way he could be a backup machine.
Flag
Man I LOVE Shaw. She plays a strong female lead so well. And she is the perfect counterpart to Reese (and just as cheesily awesome). AND she is smoking hot. The ladies have Reese, and now us guys have Shaw :)
Flag
I'm probably overdoing it, but, I thought this episode was the best one so far. It was vintage POI where there is a twist to the story and a little piece of a major season storyline was being setup. Whether you don't know if the POI was the victim or perpetrator, or who is the real killer of the POI. Had no idea Collier would kill Kruger.

I was disappointed Bear let Kruger hit Finch over the head with a vase. Some guard dog, huh. I kept yelling at the screen, "Get him, Bear." I was disappointed, too, when Shaw arrived late after Reese got shot. I kept yelling at the screen, "Where's Shaw?"

All in all, great episode.

Flag
Great episode and great recap Tim, I think this episode is more POI style, more clever and definitely better than the premiere. I still missing a little bit more of action, but I think this is cool so far.
Flag
I have to say, great episode.

And I have to agree with Tim, I think the writers and producers were having a major party when the whole NSA-thing went public and the surveillance-state showed its uglier head.
I am impressed (and somewhat suprised) that they chose to tackle the whole subject head on, because it can be quite a controversial subject and thats always something that can drive people away from your show. Those subjects usually tend to split your audience. Thats why I appreciate that the show chose to make it such a major subject.
I expect this debate about informatinal security and right-to-privacy debate will be one (if not THE) major arc of this season. To me the speach Collier gave to Kruger bevore he shot him sounded like it was more aimed at Finch (which would suggest a LOT of knowledge of what is going on) or - more likely - at us the audience.

Also ... how do we deal with the fact that Kruger is one of the few Numbers that the team didn't save? The last time this happened was when the Machine was broken. So what does it tell us that the Machine did not spit out Colliers number because he was a baddie? Might be the Machine has the same conflict / debate with itsself or even Root?
Its going to be really interesting to see who is behind this group.... I am looking foreward to that and more on the whole debate.

Also, on the subject: I think there is a major difference between private companies having all this information and correlating and selling it. It is quiet an other thing for the government to have that data, because it (the government) has a policeforce, an army and the power to enact new laws. To me, thats more scary that commercial interests of companies.
So, I'm looking foreward to the show making that destinction as well or at least raising the issue :)

p.s. I guess I'm on some sort of "watch-list" now, after making my opinion public.....
More+
Flag
  • I wasn't all worked about last week's episode, like some people were, but this episode was defintely an improvement. I agree with the reviwe, I really enjoyed the on-the-nose tackling of the privacy issue, and how we differentiate what our team does and what this slimeball Krueger was doing. I mean, sure the Machine only spits out a SSN but that doesn't mean it can't pretty much pull up everything about your life including what you had for breakfast and your locker combination from middle-school. The only thing really separating the guys from someone like Krueger is their intentions. Crazy and scary but the truth.
  • By the end of the episode I was just waiting for Krueger to end up dead. So horrible to say, but he was just so wretched, and it isn't like they haven't helped out bad guys before, but this guy was the worst. Insufferable jackass.
  • I love that we have a new group to focus on. I mean, we were technically due, since the CIA aren't players in the arena as of late. One of my favorite things about POI is how they manage to have multiple threats looming over them at all times. It makes things more intense, exciting, and dangerous. This group is no different, another group with a fairly reasonable cause despite their horrible methods. I love the grey area. I love that we don't know who they are, how many of them there are, where they come from, and when they'll pop up. More...I want more!!!
  • I love this show, but I'm already a paranoid conspiracy theorist in regards to internet safety and privacy as it is, and they don't help matters. LOL!
  • I instantly liked Laskey, but then I was suspicious of him, but then he point-blanked Carter the way that he did, and I liked him again. I'm going to go with my intitial response and say that maybe he's trustworthy. The truth is, with the exception of her hounding Fusco (who is busy enough doing his own line of work now that they aren't partners anymore) no one knows about her investigating HR. I mean, I'm sure Reese has his suspicions and since we're bringing up privacy again..Finch has been known to bug, tap, and everything else, everything that Carter and Fusco have. Just because he doesn't talk about their personal lives on a daily basis, doesn't mean that he isn't aware of most of the things going on in their personal life. So surely he suspects things too. Anyway, I think everyone is assuming that Laskey is a plant by Quinn, but that almost feels too obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if he were a plant by Elias though. Someone to look after her, so to speak. I think Carter has it in her mind that she's in this HR investigation business alone, because everyone else is busy, so it's going to be necessary that she has someone by her side that will have her back, because I think she's going to be getting herself into some serious trouble. She can't really trust anyone she's working with these days, so I'm hoping that this kid, even though he's a rookie, will be who she can rely on a bit throughout all of this, since she's deadset on keeping things secret from John and Finch, and she can't rely on Fusco as much, nor can she get too deep and too reliant on Elias. I liked the kid though. I think it'll keep things interesting.
  • I love Carter to pieces, but I think she's being a bit too reckless for her own good. She's tipping people off, especially Quinn, and even though it's almost inevitable that she'll do that because HR is everywhere, she is almost making it a bit too easy.
  • Shaw was better this episode. I think she works best in the capacity where she's there as needed but not too prevalent. Not just because of how it affects the main duo, but because it's true to her character. I like Shaw's character, and being true to her character means her not being so immersed in a team. They may want to lay off the her wanting to kill people jokes though. It has kinda already gotten old. I'm just saying. Dial it down a notch. We get it.
  • I love it when Finch gets all sassy. He was super sassy in this episode and it was so freaking hilarious to watch.
  • Wait, so they did take Krueger to a safe house and not the library then? Because I was starting to think I may need to complain a bit about how they're just letting too many people all up in there. Not everyone should know about or see the bat cave.
  • Bear has gotten lazy. I love you buddy, but your job is to attack. I know the story called for Krueger to get away, but we all know there is no way in hell that Bear would have or should have allowed dude to knock Finch out and get away. Bear would have shredded more than just the guy's pants. I'm thinking maybe Bear was a little peeved about Finch offering up his Kibble.
  • So I'm really excited about the previews for next week because LADIES NIGHT!!!!
More+
Flag
Good point about the rookie maybe being Elias's man. Haven't thought about it. I sure hope it's true. She needs someone to have her back so so badly and Elias might just be type of guy to do that.
The problem is that not only does she believe she is alone but by the end of last season I also started to believe it too and the interactions in the season premiere did little to erase the doubt. I simply can't bring myself to trust Reese and Finch to have Carter's or Fusco's backs anymore.
Flag
I kinda understand what you mean. I mean, I LOVED the camraderie between Carter and Reese. They were like kindred spirits when it came to the brothers at arms bond thing they had going on. They had a deep connection, that was one of my favorite things about the show. I loved that he always had her back, and she was sort of the moral compass of the show. Then, things started changing so fast and despite his promise that she was never alone, she kinda was. SHe didn't get it nearly as bad as Fusco though. Fusco continues to get the short end of the stick. So I like this Elias thing, because as weird as it is, she has a contingency plan when/if Reese and Finch fall though. And it isn't intention on their part either, it's just that they have so much going on, but still. It sucks to do so much for others and you can't always rely on them when you need them. Like that whole Fusco with the body thing and Carter having to borrow Bear and compromise her morals again to dig up the body and hide it....because Reese didn't have the time. I totally get your point.
More +
Flag
I didnt have so much of a problem with last weeks ep as some of you guys did, but this one was great. I think POI almost always nails it when it comes to balancing self-contained stories and overall story arcs. A lot of series, I'm thinking in particular of The X Files, lost in when it tried to develop longer narratives. If they arent working numbers, there is no point in the team being there

Flag
Definitely an improvement over last week and a good introduction to the new player in town, but I think we're getting to that point where PoI can move beyond the weekly case and tackle bigger stuff. There's enough going on in the world that a couple two-parters here and there would benefit the show. Also, bad on Bear (I was impressed that they actually added in that he tried to slow Kruger, but not that he didn't rip his face open) and Laskey's totally a plant. Shaw's kinda tacked on and in that sense tacky. Maybe an every-couple-episodes kinda character? The Machine posse is HUGE.
Flag
You're right a BIG improvement over last week's "Shore Leave". Liked how they utilized Shaw. I'm fine with her being on the team and see her helping Reese as a useful tool in a lot of situations, didn't like that last week she had a ton of airtime and Finch had next to none.
Some interesting side characters but this show is still about Reese, Finch and the Machine! Period.
Good story with some good future battles ahead against this vigilante group. One of the better episodes of the series.
Flag
I don't like Shaw, she brings nothing new... other than silicone that is.
Flag
Lol... that's the point
Flag
I think the machine set up Kruger and sent all those packages of revenge to all the people that he wronged by selling their information. I think the machine is testing its heuristic god program and doling out the machine's version of justice. Must have been spurred by the machine's debate with Root as to who deserves to live or die.
Flag
it all goes in one direction... this "privacy comes first" team are the one who will try to bring the machine down... what will happens next? the machine will try to protect itself... and skynet is born!
I am not exactly sure why would Shaw helps them? but there is something fishy about it

I LOVE THIS SHOW
Flag
Well I was a bit worried, the first part of the show was booooring!
But: YAY we have a new baddie!
Still awkward with Shaw let's give 'em some more time to balance out... and yes I missed Root!
And as it has been said before: Root & Shaw --> crazy chemistry!
Good thing Carter is back to the main cast! But let's not forget about Fusco...

In all it was a bit meh but hopefully it will pick up?
Flag
BTW: I get it now --> Shaw--> is eating a lot because she's pregnant in Chicago Fire ROFL!
Flag
Root will be back next week.
Flag
This is probably the first episode of POI that I have disliked. The idiotic decisions taken here was just to unbelievable. For one leaving Finch alone with a number in their safe house broke immersion for me especially considering what happened the last time he was left alone with a number. Another thing was the subject of Bear, he had been built to be this bad-ass dog that can take on multiple armed targets not realistic but it fit the tone of the show and then now to show that a single nerd can overcome him was grating to say the least.

It was the little things about the episode that I liked, like Shaw trying to track finch in a callback to what Reese did and unlike you Tim although I like the Reese-Finch dynamic I want Shaw to become a big part of the team, she just being an errand girl is a waste of such an awesome character.
Flag
An enjoyable POI episode (but then I could say that about most others), even if not a spectacular one.

They indeed took a rather heavy-handed approach towards uncovering the potential threats of data brokering, people's privacy being invaded, and individuals being careless enough to share all of their info publicly through various social media sites. It's not the first time that the show took a shot at these issues, although it usually does so in a more subtle way (like using Finch's stingy remarks).
Was Kruger the most unlikable Person of Interest in the series so far, or am I forgetting somebody? At the very least he must've been one of the worst. Hardly any redeemable qualities. Couldn't even take a hint when someone started using his own tricks against him, other than burning with self-righteous fire because "how dare they?!" And that worn company line... "people don't really know what they need, so we must collect info on them by any means possible in order to help them out". It was really hard to justify why the team should protect him, and I was kind of glad he didn't make it in the end.

A new organization entering into the limelight is interesting. Yet another one, that is. There are quite a few players on the board right now, and POI apparently isn't afraid to keep it big. I approve.

Similarly, I like that the show is growing. And so is the team, considering it all started out just as a budding partnership between Finch and Reese. It's a brave approach, admittedly, and one that may not sit well with everyone (as demonstrated by mixed opinions with regards to Shaw).
Do I think that they might be giving Shaw a bit too much screen time? Yeah, probably. She shouldn't be overshadowing Reese (nor take his spot), and it nearly came to that in this episode. At the same time I like that they are trying to fit her in. At least the series is going new directions rather than stagnating in a place.
In a way it also reminds me of the issues Supernatural had when trying to add new characters to the mix. Especially female ones. We lost a potential great regular with Jo - in no small way due to a rabid, overprotective fanbase that wouldn't give it a chance. Sam & Dean should always be at the heart of the series (just like Reese & Finch in POI), but at times too much focus on the main characters can take away from the show (just look at the numerous repetitive issues occuring between the brothers and that overdone, beat drama of lack of trust). You just can't keep going in circles. As much as fun Finch and Reese are to watch, constantly going through the same hoops with just both of them is not a great pattern. There must be new developments.

In any case, I'm willing to give Shaw a chance. I very much liked her introduction in season 2, and was happy to learn that she would be more than just a one-time character. Perhaps a more recurring theme would be fine - I don't need to see her that regularly, just as I don't need to see Fusco (or even Carter) every single time. In fact, give me more Zoe! And her awesome chemistry with Reese.

One last thing that I frowned upon (as most commenters, from the looks) - it definitely doesn't make any sense that Bear would let Kruger off with just a few scratches. How would Kruger even get away from this trained beast after attacking Finch and not get torn to pieces? Disappointing.
More+
Flag
The Rookie is DIRTY. The scene that convinced me of that was when he creepily snuck up on Carter. Plus he is just to baby faced and innocent looking. But even if he is not yet he will be, before the end of the season. He will also most assuradly die.
Flag
The timing, the creepiness of that sneak up on Carter (where he didn't even look like a rookie for a moment) would lend credence to this. And yet... I would like to think there might be more to it. POI is rarely this predictable, but perhaps it's one of those cases where it will be.
Flag
Totally agree. With him turning up not long after the scene by the grave, plus his slightly off character, him being a part of HR seems obvious but would be disappointingly predictable
Flag
Very good episode IMO. I love it when they have a not so sympathetic character as the "victim" of the episode, and I thought this episode handled that very well. It was great seeing the POI's life get torn away piece by piece, and I loved the reveal of the (most likely) new big threat for the season. The idea of that group is very interesting, especially since the invasion of privacy seems to be a major theme of the season already. I do hope that it allows them to explore the grey area of the machine's existence later on.

As for Shaw, I really like her character, and that hasn't really changed this season, despite the fact that I didn't care for how they used her last episode. I can understand where some of the criticism is coming from though, and do think that they have plenty of room to develop/evolve her role in the show. My biggest hope for her character is that, by the time the mid-season finale comes around, they play up the fact that she's a lot like Reese from season 1, but she is her own character, with a few key differences in their history, and have that push her in a different direction.

But honestly, the biggest disappointment I had with this episode was the fact that Bear let the POI go after he knocked Finch out. Letting Shaw enter without a warning is one thing, since he did know her and he didn't know he was a threat, but here the POI did hurt Finch. I mean, sure, he put up a struggle when the POI tried to leave, but I would hope that Bear could protect Finch better than that. :(
More+
Flag
" Reese would have ripped the bullet out of his own chest and thrown it back it Collier, instantly killing him with a shot right between the eyes."

Like Jack Bauer, Reese doesn't buy bullets. He just lets people shoot him, pulls the bullets out of his body, and uses them to reload.
Flag
I thought only Chuck Norris would do that, but I guess you're right.
Flag
Ordinary people have panic attacks. Chuck Norris has Jack Bauer's attacks!
Flag
" Reese would have ripped the bullet out of his own chest and thrown it back it Collier, instantly killing him with a shot right between the eyes."

Can't argue with that.
Flag
Good episode, but a little preachy. It's true that huge amounts of information can be dangerous, especially in the hands of an irresponsible douchebag like Kruger, but maybe save a little finger wagging for the idiots who thoughtlessly put their personal information all over the place for no reason.
As for the new hacktivists in the POI universe, if ROOT could figure out that Finch created the machine, how long would it take these guys? But unlike ROOT, they won't want to worship it, they'll want to kill it and I'm guessing it's creator.
Flag
Totally agree with your prediction that those hackers are gonna take down the Machine. And I guess this is the ultimate crisis that the Machine predicted and it wants to use Root to protect itself.
Flag
I'm going to assume that Laskey is dirty, but I WANT him to be exactly what he appears like - the idealistic rookie with a slight case of hero worship.
I really liked him, especially when he spoke up to Carter - so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, for his innocence as well as his continued survival.
Flag
The problem is that if he is an honest, idealistic, rookie, they'll kill him off. They fried Cal last year, and he was kinda idealistic.
Flag
You know what, at this point I think I'd rather have a tragic death than yet another betrayal, actually. So many people around Carter have turned out to be backstabbing, two-faced bastards that I think she's due a break.
Flag
I couldn't overcome the feeling that Collier could spring into a song-and-dance routine at any moment! xD (In case you don't know why, the guy playing him is Leslie Odom Jr., an accomplished singer and dancer, he made his Broadway debut at 17 playing "Paul" in Rent. He was also in that TV-show Smash.)
Flag
What the hell is with Shaw and eating with her hands? It's happened in two episodes now. Do they not teach baby spies "How to Eat in Public Without Attracting Attention 101"? This is just dumb. I suppose it's to show us dumb viewers how untamed and uncouth she is -- and to reassure us that look, look, she has flaws so she CAN'T be Nolan's private Mary Sue, but enough already!
Flag
I think you're supposed to eat truffled quail eggs with your hands. They're like deviled eggs: finger food.
Flag
It was totally creepy when Kruger presented that exec with the silver baby rattle and then detailed how his firm had analyzed grocery purchase history to suss out and then reveal something very private and momentous in a very public and professional context. It may not be as common a custom now, but many folks chose not to reveal pregnancies until after the first trimester because miscarriages were so common, and they still are for some couples. Imagine how violated that couple would feel if companies began sending them tons of unsolicited adverts for baby products if the pregnancy fails, how that might compound whatever they may be feeling due to their loss.

I think there is a powerful and valid group within the privacy champions that understand most of us cannot conceive of how innocently shared details can be used against us by those with nefarious intentions. For instance, pics posted by proud, doting mommies of their toddlers running through the garden hose or playing in the bathtub wind up being passed around pedophile chat rooms; a status update about a gnarly break during a snowboarding accident sets up a home to be burgled by thieves looking to steal and sell pain meds; a woman's status updates about fav restaurants, yoga classes and over-time work rants gives a stalkery rapist all the data he needs to set her up for an attack. None of these people needed to have anything to hide, but they each have a keen interest in, if not the right, not to be made victims, and companies profiting from the sale of personal information should have a legal obligation not to be complicit in crimes which may do so, to say nothing of moral obligations. It is more than ok that most of us do not think as criminals do, but it is naive to think that there aren't people out there trying to figure out how to get over on someone else all the time and irresponsible of data firms to behave as if the threats are not imminent.
More+
Flag
I heard a report on NPR (yes, I'm one of those people) were Target started sending adverts and coupons for baby products to a home in response to the purchasing pattern or more accurately the lack in the regular purchasing pattern, which lead to a very confused Dad finding out his teen daughter was pregnant.

That's right. Target data-miners are counting your tampons.
Flag
I like Shaw...with Root. Those two have crazy chemistry (literally), unlike the present arrangement. Fear not, (SPOILER ALERT!) they will be teaming up in a couple episodes to do God knows what...

Flag
I knew Kruger was goin to die the minute he knocked Finch's head (His brain's in there!!)....karma or something!!!. But damn! the idea of a fleet of baddies with almost Finch's level of hacking skills..."its gonna be a gas" !!
Flag
Kruger whacks Finch over the head:
ME: Surely, Bear will eat him
Bear takes a bite out of him, but no eating
ME: Surely, Reese will kneecap him
Reese is pretty zen as Finch isn't in immediate danger and focuses on the vengeful father
ME: *disgrunted sounds*
COLLIER: BAM, sucka!
ME: I love this show!
Flag
RIGHT?! LOL
Flag
I'm so disappointed I don't even know where to start. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I think the first part of the episode actually bored me! We've always had an initial introduction of the case, and I love this dynamic of POI, but it’s usually filled with nice banters and little interesting moments. Where were those? Another “I need my stomach to be full and I eat like a pig”? Or “I need to shot someone”? Seriously? It's B-O-R-I-N-G.

I'm so pissed off about Shaw, she could have been such a great RECURRING character but no, hey, let's make her regular, show her boobs now and then and repeat at least twice a episode how badass she is. Yeah, let's ruin the perfect balance we had before.

And now she’s the one stalking Finch?! Geez, would it be possible to give her her own personality instead of making here the bad copy of early Reese? It’s annoying.

Moreover, since she’s been around, Reese has suddenly become careless and extra vulnerable. So, after escaping from Mark Snow with two bullets in his body, he now passes out because of a bullet in the vest, shoulder high, which then magically shifts to his rib and breaks it? And yeah, a broken rib is that painful so it's okay to pass out, but then you walk on the street? You don't walk with a broken rib. Nope. No way... At least be coherent about that, would you?

And what’s wrong with Finch? Showing his face to two numbers in the last two episodes? Where’s the very private person? Why in the world didn’t Bear protect him properly? Sloppy, so very sloppy.

And I’m so passionate about it because I ADORE this show and I can’t believe they had the courage to show us these two episodes of season 3, very poor in so many ways. I really hope they'll adjust the pace.
More+
Flag
"I'm so pissed off about Shaw, she could have been such a great RECURRING character but no, hey, let's make her regular, show her boobs now and then and repeat at least twice a episode how badass she is."

Ha-ha! ^ :) funny cause it's true.

I agree with you completely, the show has lost it's charm. The only characters I'm still interested are Root and Carter. Here's hoping that we will get a Reese/Carter moment soon. He always offers help, but she keeps refusing.
Flag
Oy! One of the best things to come out of all this Shaw uncertainty is how everyone really loves Carter now! I was a Carter fan from the beginning, back when her character desperately needed some improvement and her fans were sparse...now, now there is so much Carter love that I get the fuzzies. :)

I don't dislike Shaw and I think that they're still finding their footing with her character but I'm inclined to agree with you all. : )
Flag
If I have to be perfectly honest, I did not like Carter as much as I do now back in Season 1 because all she wanted to do was take down the man in the suit (Reese) and franky it got tired and it was a bit annoying. LOL

But, yeah as soon as they started working together, and she started sacraficing herself and her believes in order to help Reese and Finch, she started growing on me.

As for Root, it was like love at first sight. LOL I instantly fell for her, Amy Acker is that good! Plus, she was written as a great villian, and now that's she's totally nuts (not that she wasn't before), I like her that much more.
Flag
Carter hunting the man in the suit was half Reese's fault too in my eyes so I never blamed her completely and liked her from the start. I felt like there were some questionable decisions on his part that allowed her to get closer than she should have been otherwise.
I also liked Shaw that first episode she appeared in but kind of changed my mind afterwards. Root wasn't a favorite from the beginning but she is now (the 'nuts' part helped a lot too).
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Yep, Carter and Root are still very interesting. In particular, I'm glad they give Carter an important role again, since my disappointment started to show during the last episodes of season 2, when they decided to ignore her and Fusco without having a care in the world. At least now Carter's being dealt with properly. I'm really looking forward to see what's going to happen on her front.
Flag
me too, and hoping for more Fusco too
Flag
Definitely, I love him!
Flag
Another great POI episode, as usual.

The talk about stacking too many enemies on top of each other is not something I agree with. I admire POI for letting new players on the board while they are still dealing with old players. Quinn, HR and Elias are now busy dealing with each other, so let keep them be on the board. And now this new group? It keeps getting more interesting.

With the main season arc shifting towards a group that opposes internet data abuse will bring bring up some interesting debates and storylines.

I think Shaw is a great character to add to the crew. She's a straight shooter and I like the way she has to adept from kill to protect modus. Reese and Shaw make a good team in my opinion.

The only problem with last nights episode was bringing Kruger to a safe house an leave him alone in a room with Finch? Also Bear not shredding Kruger was kind of disappointing and not very POI. Also no Root but I'm sure she'll be back.
Flag
There's also that secret mercenary group run by Julian Sands: presumably they'll show up at some point as well. And the folks who were trying to get to The Machine in the first place, whose name escapes me. And there's the government CTU that Shaw used to work for.
Flag
You are right. It just shows how good this show is. In real life there are not just two opposite teams as you see in most tv shows.
Flag
I do like we have a new group that, in a way, is as dangerous in the same sort of way Root was. I hope they can keep the plates all spinning....cuz let me count...

Elias (though he is kind of on our team's side right now)
I guess technically the Russians
HR
Root
You have to think someone from John's past will come sniffing again
The lady in the car that Hershel works for (where is he?)
I still kind of want to see that English guy reappear...he was fun.
This new group

Am I missing anyone?
Flag
The mercenary group that Julian Sands was leading last year, to get the female surgeon to kill someone by threatening her wife.
Flag
That's the english guy I was talking about...I want him to reappear because he was a fun John adversary.
Flag
Ah. There's also the English guy Greer who runs Decima. Who I don't think you listed.
Flag
Decima that is what I totally forgot about...I shut my line of thinking when I eliminated Kara and Snow.
Flag
Yeah, where is Hersh?

We definitely need more Hersh.
Flag
I think he's still working for Momma Carlson. Although Ian Wolfe died in 1992, rest his soul.

Oh, you meant Hersh, not Hirsch.
Flag
Hersh shows up in a week or two.
Flag
You have made my day
Flag
In Bear's defence, he's a military attack dog who has bigger priorities now. He was clearly too worried about Finch to do more than snap at the bad man.

Also, errand girl?! Really? What happened to all the Shahi-craze from season 2?
Flag
For those of you who are interested, I checked out the numbers for dvr+3 for last week`s episode, and POI actually went up 3 million total viewers and the 18-49 went up 30% from 2.3-3.0. DVR watching should be considered more relevant in the ratings.
Flag
Advertisers don't care about DVR. They know people skip commercials. Like it or not, it's the way network tv works. In contrast, HBO & co. care about subscribers. They don't care about ratings as long as there's enough buzz (part of the reason they do shocking stuff is to keep the buzz levels up).
Flag
Finally this show stopped insulting may intelligence and had someone shoot John. Last week in the comments I said that it was really stupid for John to come in without any protection and no one in the pool hall shot him. He does the same thing again and bam he gets shot; of course there's no way in hell he was wearing a vest which is why we didn't see the obligatory scene showing a vest with a hole in it. His shirt was open way too low and he had absolutely no signs of a vest; I've dated police officers before (yes plural) and I know what those vest look like under clothes.

I'm also tired of Finch bitching about Shaw; just shut up and let her do her so maybe we can like her; there's no way we can get through another season of kneecap shots. These are good guys vs bad guys, life and death situations.

The worst part of this episode was that there was no "ROOT!" I need my Amy fix; next week please.

Any bets on how long it will take to reveal that Carter's new partner is working for HR? He's way to nice to not be a red herring. Mark my words he's working for them or he's just going to be another casualty later in the series.

The case of the week was "ok" but the highlight was me realizing that the bad guy was one of the guys from the show, "The Exes" Which is a pretty decent show; that voice gave it away quick; I said, "I know that voice... Oh it's Stuart.

The show just got a little more bloated at the end with yet another new threat on the horizon when we still have HR and Elias and the shady government organization still active.

Still one of my favorite shows but so far not impressed with what I've seen so far this season; other than the development of the Root character we got last week.
More+
Flag
Now that the Machine is on its own, we should give it a name.
Flag
Ziggy, after the computer from Quantum Leap, which also helped the lead characters save/improve the lives of a bunch of people throughout the series. Apparently, they did refer to Ziggy as "he" a few times, even though in one episode Ziggy was voiced by a woman.
Flag
Mac H. Ine.
Flag
For maximum effect, imagine it with the Machine wearing one of those Groucho eyeglass disguises...
Flag
How about Oracle? As in from greek myth. Coz, you know, "she" does technically predict stuff too.
At least that's what all the new probabilty calculations seem to be telling us. That it's all extremely mathematical guesswork on what the future holds.
Flag
Cassandra was considered to be the greatest Delphic Sibyl, or Pythia, of the Oracles of Delphi, said to be given the gift by Apollo. Root already believes the machine to be female, so perhaps Cassandra or Sibyl?
Flag
Sibyl reminds me of her namesake in HP. You know, Sibyl Trelawney. Who was pretty terrible :/

Btw, do you mean Cassandra as in the Trojan princess? I know she had the gift (+ a curse free!) but was she ever an Oracle?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I am calling it Vicki in my head...since Root was the first to give it an real independent identity, she got to choose the gender. And V.I.C.K.I is the only female AI I know that, well, wants to help out.
Flag
I don't think Root "chose" a gender. The machine "chose" to use a female voice in the season 2 finale right? Or am I reading too much into this?

But either way, ur right, Root does get dibs.
Flag
Bob.

or Brian.

:-)
Flag
How about Eichman?
Flag
Machine's a "she"' Did you not hear Root last week?
Flag
Great episode and laid ground work for future,but I couldn't get into episode(not completley as usual),because Sommers kept reminding me of that idiot Batista. Every scene with him,I just cringed and wanted it to be over. I know idiot Batista was already on POI,but memory is still too fresh and painful.
Flag
This episode was definitely an improvement but still the new dynamic with Shaw on the team felt kinda weird.
Flag
Finch=Brains
Shaw=Brawn
Reese=Beauty
Yep. And I'm loving it! I just feel like a lot of people are feeling threatened by the badass Shaw just because its a 'she' and not a 'he'. But damn I love that woman!
I felt the premiere was a bit of a letdown aside from Root, but this episode was awesome and I didn't expect the d-bag guy to get killed in such a fashion. POI keeps surprising me. The introduction of this new group of vigilantes(?) is quite intriguing. While I do not give two hoots about Carter's new buddy, I just hope he isn't working for HR.
Flag
Okay, how on earth did we in the SECOND EPISODE OF THE SEASON, end up with yet another villain? A group who are obviously the anti-Machine too. How many nemesi does one group of people really need?
Flag
Considering that Root is now family, HR is still scurryin around quietly & Elias (more a frenemy) is under... basement-arrest? I'd say bring on the villainish shadow groups.
Flag
Every season there must be villain that's the rule of tv action series.

Flag
I know... I am just going to have start writing down all of these villains to keep track... >.<
Flag
your memory can't be that bad?
Flag
So was Peter Collier, a black technology expert, named after Barney Collier...?
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members