Person of interest S03E15: "Last Call"

"Last Call" will not go down as one of Person of Interest's greatest episodes. It will not go down as one of Person of Interest's mediumest episodes. Nope, this tension-free hour of phone-face reactions was a bottom-thirder, which says just as much about Person of Interest's occasional greatness as it does its tendency to deliver standalone duds. I blame the heavy workload of a 22-episode season and the show's chunky scheduling ("Last Call" was a return from yet another break for POI), but "Last Call" had problems beyond not connecting to the larger mythos of the series, it just wasn't that interesting. 

Going into each season, we all know we're going to get, I dunno, just off the top of my head I'd say about seven standalone episodes scattered throughout. And because I think it's fair to say that the more serialized episodes of Person of Interest are usually the best entries of any given season, it's conversely fair to say that the standalone episodes are usually the worst. But if you look at those seven or so standalone episodes, about half of them embrace Person of Interest's surprising sense of humor and goofball charm—consider the high-altitude airline high jinks of "4C" or the marital madness of "'Til Death"—which makes them more than just stock procedural hours. The others? Well, they're "Last Call."

It's not that "Last Call" was awful, it's just that it was my least-favorite kind of Person of Interest: a standalone save-the-day plot with no humor. This week, our guys (and gal) rushed to the aid of a distressed 911 operator named Susan Nicholson, played by guest-star Melissa Sagemiller, who I will always fondly remember as my crush from Sleeper Cell. She was tormented by a voice—a rather calm and soothing voice, actually—who strapped a bomb to a boy named Aaron and was threatening to turn him into boy goo if Sandra did not comply with his requests. His evil demands? Erase all the 911 calls from a few days ago! DUN-DUN!!! Wait, that's it? Oh. I understand that public records are the bedrock of our judicial system, but this was a pretty easy call, wasn't it? 

Meanwhile, Fusco was feeling the crush of instant celebrity for his role in taking down HR and had everyone at the precinct on his tip, asking him for help on cases and requesting that he sign their breasts and so forth. He ended up mentoring a young rook named Jake Harrison who was working the murder of a young woman named Tara Cooke. The poor guy was so green he couldn't even recognize bruise patterns on a corpse! Learn to detective, kid! But where was Person of Interest going with this seemingly disconnected murder case in an episode about a 911 call operator being psychologically held hostage? Well, the show smashed the two plots together like two rocks. 

And here's where things got Advanced Underwater Calculus complicated. The voice on the other end of Susan's line really only wanted one of those recorded 911 calls erased... a call from Tara Cooke as she was getting murdered. Mr. Voice was hired by Tara's wife's boss to get rid of the 911 evidence because Tara's boss and Tara were playing a game of naughty secretary, and when Tara wanted to end it, Tara's boss killed her and made it look like a mugging gone bad. So to "fix" the situation, Mr. Voice hired a group of military-trained goons with connections to a Mexican cartel (?) to kidnap a boy and put a bomb on him, and then Mr. Voice targeted Sandra to get the 911 call erased because when she was young she accidentally let a boy she was babysitting drown and she's never been able to get over that. Reese and Shaw racked up a ton of cab fare tracing the mysterious voice, but he was using a series of phone relays to disguise his real location, so Reese just beat up all the kidnappers instead. None if it seemed particularly efficient for a kidnapping/extortion plot, to be honest, and the money that changed hands must have been a small fortune considering how many people were involved. 

It all felt like extra layers of complexity added on to what was a pretty stale premise. And the biggest problem was Mr. Voice himself, our unseen threat to the sanctity of our emergency call system. There was a moment when Mr. Voice had to cash in on his threats when Sandra was defiant, and after telling Sandra that he was going to cut off bits and pieces of the boy if she didn't do what he was told, he menacingly said, "I'm a man of my word." Then he proceeded to NOT keep his word, and instead blew up a bomb in a parking garage. "Call it a warning shot. Aaron is still alive... for the moment." Nothing takes the sizzle out of an extortion scheme like a squeamish and hesitant extortioner. After that, Sandra could've just called BS on all his threats, until he was like, "No wait, I'm serious this time! I promise I will cut off the boy's pinky! Really! I will... oh who am I kidding, I can't do it. I'm not cut out for this. I didn't even want to be a bad guy but my dad pressured me into it. Sorry to waste your time. I'm going to go back to community college and get a degree in horticulture." *click*  

But it was Mr. Voice who actually became the episode's big takeaway. After Reese and Shaw showed up just in time to save the boy from the bomb, Mr. Voice got in touch with Finch to tell Finch that he would get his revenge, and thus a new Person of Interest villain was born. But it was kind of a lousy introduction, since he'd already had his ass handed to him by Finch and Reese. On top of that, we never even saw the guy, and we don't have any reason to believe he's actually good at what he does (which I assume is some computer wizardry—a new Bizarro Finch now that Root is sorta one of the "good" guys).

Look, I don't like harshing on Person of Interest, but I also can't pretend to like episodes like this. The series is constantly caught in the crossfire between being a godly serialized near-sci-fi show and a rote CBS procedural, and that's a simple matter of fact. That's a cost of greatness that I'm more than happy to live with, and the way I see it, finishing an episode like this just means there's a better chance that the next one will be amazing.  

NOTES OF INTEREST

– Fun fact we all learned: The 911 emergency call system gets 11,000 butt dials a day. That's a lot of butts in trouble!

– Another thing lacking about this episode: character moments for our regulars. We didn't learn much about anyone.

– The one bit of Person of Interest humor came from another one of those outstanding cuts away from John as he was about to kick a bunch of dudes' asses, right to a shot of all those dudes writhing on the floor, in pain. 

– No Root. No Bear. OMG those two should start a Root Beer company. 

– So is that guy Fusco's new partner now? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/21/2016

Season 5 : Episode 13

183 Comments
Comments (183)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I agree with this review, this was a mediocre episode. About the only thing I really liked about it was Fusco finally getting some just rewards for his hard work.
Flag
I actually was hooked, I couldn't stop watching the episode. I knew the kid was going to be all right, but I was not so sure about Sandra. Also, I was disappointed the bad guy was not someone related with the drowned boy, like a brother. And I thought for a moment that the tech guy (the man in the picture) was guilty. What really bothered me is...why that particular boy? It was just a random choice? The nanny was probably involved (or a victim) but that was never addressed.
Flag
I enjoyed it if only for the introduction of a possible evil-er male Root. Let's call him Router.
Flag
I didn't enjoy this episode much either. When Mr.Voice tells the operator she has 15 minutes to delete those calls, all I could think was "Harold, just copy those files to another directory. Too stupid.
Flag
Good to see that Fusco's the man now. Missed Root and wonder if that caller got his "rodent car jacking ring" problem fixed lol
Flag
I agree with tim a disapointing episode a bit like last week , no root or bear no character depth for the rest. I also felt this was a rip off of phone booth/ the call as well. Although nowhere as bad as criminal minds and csi still . Big improvement next week.
Flag
I liked it more that it seems Tim did, but it was not the best (but still better than most current TV).

To me it highlights the limitation of the premise. It is the awesome characters and storytelling that has made other episodes great.

Perhaps we expect too much. For example, I'm sure Fringe season 5 was actually great in it's own right. But compared to the brilliance that proceeded it, it seemed really disappointing. Could be the same here.
Flag
Worthless episode aside from Mr Voice.
Flag
This episode was definitely not one of my favorites by any means. I couldn't help but compare it to "Phone Booth" but that film was, in my opinion, a brilliant piece of movie making where as this episode never quite reached that level of suspense or being believable. And the voice on the phone was distracting...it sounded so familiar but I can't place it.

I just hope next week is better. Even brilliant shows have their "off moments".
Flag
It sounds like L from Deathnote english dubbed ver.
Flag
I disagree on the point of this being a bottom-thirder. It seems more like the standalone eps this season are not trying to be the norm, but rather each has been a bit of a tribute to a certain type of suspense flick. We had the military hero in the wrong place at the wrong time ("Liberty"), the lawyer-driven Double Jeopardy-esque story ("Reasonable Doubt"), the airline terror plot ("4C"), the heist/Entrapment-esque flick ("Provenance"), and now the claustrophobic I-can-see-you phone call killer. I've enjoyed some of these more than others, true, but I don't believe any of them has been necessarily poorly done. Maybe some could feel like letdowns (especially if you're not a fan of the particular type of flick) by POI standards, since we're used to getting a thrill ride like the "Endgame" story arc, but that's only because we've become spoiled by this outstanding show. POI even at its so-called "worst" still beats the vast majority of what's out there.

But personally, I like the variety being given this season. Sometimes you just gotta skip the reservations-only restaurant and head down to the local buffet.
Flag
Besides, Tim, the real poll should have been whether rookie detective boy is another Laskey (not necessarily now-defunct HR, but maybe connected to Vigilance, Control, Decima, or phone guy.

Anyone?

Flag
I think it is involved with Samaritan or any other bad guy.
Flag
Spot on, Tim. I'm glad I watched Perception that night, or I'd have fallen asleep for sure.
Flag
First: Tim I always enjoy your reviews, even when I disagree with them. They are always well thought and written. Kudos! Secondly, I think my lack of new episodes for three weeks made me forgive a few plot holes and lackluster writing. But I do like the idea that a machine was the big bad of the ep. Hopefully from here on out the stories are better!
Flag
I can't agree with your assessment. Sheesh, you complain when things are too much the same and then you complain when things get too different. No pleasing some people! :)

I liked this ep. It was suspenseful in a different way. And, the complexity of the caper felt like a rube goldberg machine. Yeah, it was needlessly complex, but just like goldberg's machine, that's half the fun!

That said, here are MY niggles...

* If Bad Guy had a camera on Susan's headset, it seems highly unlikely he didn't start monitoring her until the boy called 911. So, he would have seen her talk to Finch and know he's a trainee. But more significantly, he would have heard her tell the boy to hide in the closet. We did not need the silly plot device of the low battery signal.

* It seems Finch could have easily explained away his presence at the server. He could have accusingly asked HER why SHE was there. "Your not authorized to be in here. What are you doing? We noticed a glitch and we're doing some maintenance." That sort of thing.

* Shaw made a pretty silly assumption that the car she stood RIGHT in front of (and didn't stop until it was 12 inches away from mowing her down!) didn't have bullet proof glass. That was a foolish risk.

* If two phone are taped together to form a relay, then any talking done nearby would get transmitted, so the team probably should not have been talking while the connection was live.

* Are we to believe that there's no daily, offsite backup of 911 calls that are used as evidence? It all just sits on a single server and can be wiped out by an IT guy with a fob? No.

* The cubicles in the 911 center were awfully close together, yet no one notices Finch talking to Reese? Yeah, everyone's talking, but his talking didn't look nor sound like a 911 call.

Other thoughts...

* Fusco getting his due. Yay! About time.

* I like not having the entire ensemble cast in every episode. Keeps it interesting and allows us to focus on the few.

* Similarly, I don't feel characters need to grow or we need to learn more about them in every single episode.

* What do you think about the possibility that the bad guy voice was using Samaritan to work his apparent omnipotence?

More+
Flag
I don't get it, Tim - I thought this was practically a mini-suspense movie... I loved it. Eh, too each their own.
Flag
So boring, I forgot that I watched it!
Flag
LOL !
Flag
I quite liked it. Not one of the best but still entertaining.
Flag
The important takeaway is that this new bad guy has seen Finch.
Flag
my fav line
big bad guy: who are you pendecho?
reese: I was kinda hoping you picked the hard way :)

@PatrickAllen
Having a bad hair day? It's not the oscars man - just chill and enjoy the show ;)
Flag
Finch had already sent a backup of all significant calls to Fusco anyway! So why not erase the calls! Plus what's up with all the crime sub-contracting!
Flag
Right. I had that same thought (and dang it, I forgot to include it in my main comment!)
Flag
Probably had to do with it being "Evidence". Having it not pulled right from 911 but from a back up - would make it inadmissible in court.
Flag
Good call.
Flag
I was thinking that it would be much easier if Harold just made a quick backup of that day's calls and let her erase it. Or just made a quick hack to make it look like she erased the calls. Not my favorite episode, but had some good Lionel moments. One would think that after a break they would want to come back strong, but this was a B- episode at best. 7/10
Flag
Reese and Shaw shouldn't be working together. He's a better character when she's not around, and she's better on her own or paired with Fusco or Root.
Flag
WOWWWWW Tim Surette. ONCE AGAIN you continue to give horrible reviews to shows that are extremely popular. Tension free hour? Are you fucking kidding me? You are a disgrace. TV.Com editors PLEASEEEE listen to the comments. There are so many people who think Tim is an idiot with not a single rational thought in his head. I CANNOT getover how this guy can consistently give poor reviews to very HIGHLY rated television shows.

At a certain point, it's not interesting to see the opposite viewpoint. Tim has reached the phase where he is basically arguing that the sky isn't blue or that wind doesn't exist. We ALL know the truth, but somehow this guy keeps opening his mouth. Fucking disgusting.
Flag
The episode wasn't that good, and the review wasn't that negative.
Flag
The voice actor of the "Big Bad" was awfully acted. I did like the story, though.
Flag
The part that had me laughing out loud was the moment Sandra went into the water to retrieve her would-be killer's gun. The guy proceeded to hold his hands up even though Finch could not have dropped the cable into the water without killing Sandra as well; So why didn't the goon, oh I don't know, retrieve his gun and hold Sandra hostage?

Flag
My biggest issue (besides the bad voice acting by the bad guy) was - Why was there STANDING WATER in the generator room of the 911 headquarters. Isn't that a bit of a hazard? Was that set up? Did I miss something?
Flag
Yea, that was my "oh, c'mon" moment as well, but overall I didn't think the episode was horrible.
My biggest complaint was, and is, that it's bad enough that we had to endure so many weeks without a new show, but they had to slap us with back- to -back- to back stand alone episodes? This first week back for an extended time was the perfect opportunity to resume the story arch, if for no other reason than to reward us fans for being so patient the last two months.
Flag
DANG IT! Another thought I had that I forgot to mention in my comment! :)
Flag
By PoI's usual standards, this was an off week. However, the least interesting Person of Interest episode imaginable would still be the equivalent of a perfectly average installment of NCIS.

Whatever criticisms you may have of this one, you had to like the carjacking squirrels and the badass Finch with the electrical cable.
Flag
Strictly procedural. True.
No character development. Also true.
But I won't call it a bad episode.
I, like everyone else, prefer the serialized aspects of the show. But I still maintain that they do procedural better than any one else.

Particularly the opening. The introduction of our number of the week may have been cliché ridden, bordering on cheesy. But it was very well played. Susan taking over a call from a rookie and saving the woman in the sinking car was melodramatic bordering on sappy. But it worked, imo. Ms. Sagemiller did a superb job, and I can definately see why she would be a tv-crush.

The rest of the plot was contrived and unnecessarily complicated. But there is a reason why things become cliché, and as long as it is well played, as this was, I'm ok with it.

I really hope that it wasn't the introduction of another 'big-bad'.
Finch didn't seem to think so. And he wasn't nearly as menacing as he thought he was.

"Mr. Voice was hired by Tara's wife's boss"
I'm pretty sure that you meant "boss' wife".

Root's been missing for a while now. Have we seen her since her ear surgery? Everyone on the show is great, but I miss Root.

Sorry about all the but's.
More+
Flag
The Fusco bit had some character development.
Flag
If this was to be an introduction of a new character, I hope it was Sandra, rather than Mr. Voice.
Flag
Both will be good an ally and a foe
Flag
I guess I'm just a crazy fan-girl because I enjoyed this episode and didn't find anything wrong with it. I'm pretty much down with anything Reese, Finch and John throw our way. They could probably do any hour show of bad jokes and I'd still love watching it. But that's just me.
Flag
Terrible episode. If this dude is so good, surely he wouldn't have had to set up such elaboration. Breaking into the 911 office and deleting it yourself seems WAY easier. I mean, he was already in the office putting a camera on her freaking headset!! Sheesh. It pains me to think of the amount of stuff this guy supposedly got done in the 1-2 days from when he was hired.

Also, I hope this "voice" doesn't become a significant villain....cos that actor just sounded terrible. If we do meet him, I sure hope his actual acting is better than his voice acting. Sounded like he was just reading his lines from home in his sweatpants.
Flag
For a show like 'Person of Interest' with it's genesis in the September 11, 2001 attack of 9/11, this episode sure had a lot of 9/11 references. Even a creepy Manhattan skyline shot complete with explosions.

http://s7.postimg.org/3x9ouj6fv/poi3x13_Last_Call.jpg
Flag
I enjoyed this episode. The PM had some interesting points but I happen to disagree with them. I love when POI manages to keep me on the edge of my seat and knock one out of the ball park, but, I also recognize that every now and then it's not going to be a home run or grand slam, and in those cases I'll settle for the base hit.

I enjoyed the interplay between Reese and Shaw, but for reasons I can't explain, I felt like I needed an injection Root, Zoe, or Carter (RIP).

In any event, this one goes in the "win" column....in my humble opinion.
Flag
I enjoyed it whileI was watching it, it wasn't great but it wasn't as bad as your review would lead one to believe, not in my opinion.
Flag
I agree with you review, Tim.
You made my day with your comments on Mr. Voice.

Well, that's three standalones in a row and we're at episode 15...
So, I'm led to believe that we will now be treated to a great ride for the rest of the season.

Flag
I really liked this episode. Like I've always said about this show, it could run a clinic on how to make good standalone episodes. This episode, to me, was no where near tension-free. Like you said, there wasn't much room for humor because the situation was serious for the whole episode. Not only that, but this episode gave us a new, mysterious villain to think about. How can you watch an episode like this and call it any kind of dull or boring? It's pure bullcrap to even call it that in my opinion.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The plot itself was simple enough, but when it evolved to connecting cases, to murders, guns for hire, etc. it got so much better; and like I said, this mysterious new villian that emerged out of it all is someone to watch out for. Whoever this man is has skills with computer code, hacking, and arranging kidnappings, all while remaining TOTALLY ANONYMOUS!! Sound like anyone we know?!!! All this guy is to us right now is a voice on a phone. THAT'S IT!!! Not only that, he knows who Finch is, and is probably almost as good as him, and Finch has no idea who he is. Well done POI!! You really know how to keep the villains coming. I love it!!! The way those two cases connected still impresses me.

Also, the complaining about Root not being here is weird to me. I like seeing her too, but only on a recurring basis. This is simply because she's still totally unpredictable in ANY given situation. She wasn't in this episode, and honestly, didn't even notice, which speaks more to how good this show is. Anyway, it's like people forgot that she tortured, killed, schemed, and backstabbed her way to get to the machine; and now that the machine sees her as the creator, she is more connected to it than ever. Root is FULLY DEVOTED to the machine. FULLY DEVOTED. At least Finch can think for himself when it comes to the machine, but Root would do WHATEVER it says. So think about this people, what happens when the machine judges great assets like Finch, Reese, or Shaw expendable? Do you think Root would think twice about what "needs to be done"? HELL NO, which is why she has no business being in 22 episodes of a season. Putting our heroes around her has been beneficial at times, but at the same time, she can be ruthless to anybody. I like her, but I just don't fully trust her at all.

Man I love this show!!!!
More+
Flag
Easily worst episode of PoI evah.
Can someone explain why a bloke with full & unfettered access to Crim Allsorts Inc would top a recalcitrant ex-gf himself, & do it so badly.

Better yet what was erasing all the calls meant to do other than let law enforcement know that there was something dodgy on their 911 system?

The show is all about the ICT yet we the audience are meant to ignore reality, that any halfway decent data storage installation is gonna be backing up to the cloud and/or a dedicated offsite storage facility every hour or less?

This episode was like a preview of what PoI is gonna be like in a couple of seasons once the writers run out of ideas/move on to greener pastures.
No more dark humour or cheerful double entendres, just lots of grim faced dudes/ettes chasing down lame network hack written plots for no particular purpose.
Kinda like supernatural, altho to be fair it took seven seasons for Supernatural to start going bad PoI has done it in less than 3.
Flag
The only thing this episode accomplished was introducing a new bad guy... for a moment the computerized way of talking had me thinking we were dealing with an AI, a feeling that has not subsided thus far... This is POI after all.
Flag
I totally agree with your conclusion. Maybe we just met Samaritan or a potential 3rd machine. But all those phone relays were a strong indicator that there wasn't a real voice at the other end, just more phones to annoy anyone who might come looking.
Flag
Understood. I felt like he sounded like a male Siri, in one of those Surface vs iPad commercials. UhOh, I don't have a USB port. UhOh, I can't multitask. A little help here.
Flag
Although this tends to be the time in the season when most shows air their weaker episodes, I generally liked this one. (Although that could be due to putting up with repeats for the past few weeks.) The one cliche that did bug me was the creation of tension by putting a kid in danger.

Usually when a regular character doesn't appear (or appears very little) in an episode it's because they're spending more time in another episode. We're likely to see a Root centered episode later.
Flag
You know, I really like this show. I'd watch it over almost anything on TV right now. You learn such interesting things. (Who knew squirrels fell outside the purview of 911?) I also like Jim Caviezel. I'd watch him watch paint drying. The best thing about this episode was The Fusco taking charge and kicking butt. While I found this episode not hideous, it was very sloppy.

The worst example is the scene with Finch, Sandra, and Goon in the basement. Finch bothers to set up a trap by flooding the place so he can set up an elaborate electrocution hazard. (It wasn't flooded earlier when Sandra when to shut off the generator so Finch must have done it.) Goon steps in water and Finch goes into a long explanation; blah-blah severed electrical cable, blah-blah 10 x amperage required for electrocution, blah-blah fibrillate, blah-blah .... And all the while, Sandra is standing directly in front of the guy with the gun. Why didn't Goon just shoot her the instant he saw her and forego the Finch lecture. Finch: "Well, if you'd given me time I would have explained why it was a bad idea to shoot Sandra, but now that you've shot her there's no reason to electocute you....." Why didn't Finch have Sandra with him behind the shooter? Also, how extremely STUPID was it to send Sandra into the water to retrieve the gun, thereby cancelling the threat of electrocution? Why didn't Goon just attack Sandra when she went for the gun?

Other noteworthy examples:
Is there really only one copy of those 911 calls? Sandra was asked to delete files from two days ago. Wouldn't they be backed up? When Finch realized what Mr. Voice was after, why didn't he make a backup? Doesn't Fusco now have a copy of the calls Finch sent to him? (Ok, well maybe Fusco was listening to them directly from the 911 system.)

How difficult was it for Sandra to remember to keep Finch out of her line of sight when she returned to the server room? Seriously??

Mr. Voice accuses Sandra of getting Finch to help. Sandra says she doesn't know Finch, didn't ask for help, blah, blah. All of this is happening in front of Finch. If Finch was just a clueless coworker, why wouldn't he ask what the heck she was talking about? If Mr. Voice suspected Finch of helping, why did he completely disregard Finch for the rest of the episode?

When Sandra removes her headset during her meltdown, why didn't Mr. Voice just take out Aaron? She was "off line" for quite a while. Mr. Voice is obviously Mr. No-Follow-Through.

More+
Flag
Valid points, mostly.
I think we have to forgive Sandra for getting Finch in line of sight. She was flustered and distraught, charging through the door without thinking about Finch is perfectly understandable.

Mr. Voice is not a believable 'big-bad'.
Flag
I loved that high tech phone-linking technology: Black electrical tape. Also nice that the caller's voice quality lost no fidelity at all passing from speaker to microphone at least twice.

Flag
Er, microphone to speaker, that is.
Flag
Actually, I think you got it right the first time.
Flag
Well, if you start the sequence with the caller himself, it had to be mouth to mic to speaker to mic to speaker (...) to ear.

Flag
Ok, but loss of fidelity would come when it was passing through the air from speaker to mike, rather than through wires and radio transmission from mike to speaker.
Flag
I was thinking while watching this episode if this voice is the other AI machine. and its got it own helpers.
Flag
I think you're really on to something here and wish I could give you 10 thumbs up.
I would even go one step further and say if it's not like that, the writers should get a hard on immediately and send you a big fat 'thank you cheque' in the mail.

btw, the voice itself was also very well done. This is how you make a proper call :)
Flag
Enjoyed it.
Flag
I liked the episode a lot.

Probably because I went through PoI withdrawal since the last episode, anything seemed great.
Flag
I agree that this episode was mediocre at best, and mostly just a filler with a few (very few) points of interest.

Noteworthy:
- Shaw being all super team mate of the week; "There is no 'dead' in team". She's clearly gone from reluctantly working alongside the guys to fully embracing the joys of teamwork. It's been a gradual "slide", but I think John going on the lam and having to take over the role of NY's protector pushed her over the line from outsider to insider. Will be interesting to see how the dynamics work from here on; Shaw's cynical sass is one of my favourite things, I don't want her to get too "Go Team, go Team, yay!".

- Finch being BAMF! While it didn't QUITE rock my world, I certainly appreciated his quietly menacing threat to electrocute the gunman in the basement - go Finch! (Although sending Sandra INTO THE WATER to get his gun was just stupid - if the badguy had grabbed her, Finch couldn't have dropped the cable without getting her too; why not have him THROW the weapon out of the water and not risk it?)

- And finally, last but not least; a badguy who was apparently quite good (yes, they defeated him, but they don't know what he looks like, who he was, or WHERE he was, which is quite rare with Finch behind the keyboard), and who THREATENED Finch PERSONALLY.
And, of course, because we can't COMMUNICATE, oh noooo, Finch just accepting it as the price of doing business and moving on.
Wanna bet he's going to come back to bite the team in the behind at some point?
More+
Flag
you mentioned by favorite quote this ep! Shaw got both the best lines this week: no dead in team and Do you really want ME at the other end of a 911 call!
Flag
I agree: the gun in the water was stupid and why didn't the guy run out as soon as the girl touched the water? Or grab her and kill her in front of Finch? Then kill Finch!

That's just cheap writing...
Flag
I thought it was stupid too, but it's not so bad. He only did it when he knew the man was not "the voice". And the man probably wouldn't want to take the risk, because he didn't know Finch and Sandra. He doesn't know if he cared for Finch so much (or if he could take her if he tried to)
Flag
Yeah! Good point...
Flag
Fusco is feeling the pressure of celebrity. Who knows, he could one day be Commissioner. Bring back Bear! Missing Bear!
Flag
I liked this episode - I wasnwasn'tt bored at all. Admittedly not the greatest for POI, but seriously, have you tried watching CSI lately? Even this ep blows other shows out of the water.
Flag
Hate to say this about my favorite TV series, but this epi was boring.
And a big rip off from Halle Berry's movie "The Call" (2013), a film that focused on the role of a 911 operator still suffering emotionally from a botched procedure and who fields calls from a serial killer following his abduction of a teenage girl. I expected more originality from the POI writing team.
Flag
You keep calling Sandra "Susan". You also said Tara's wife's boss :O It's Tara's boss's wife.
Flag
i think this is one of those rare occasions where I can honestly say I liked the Fusco part best. He doesn't always get the best treatment, but he was allowed to shine a bit as a detective and I liked that. Finch as a 911 operator was pretty interesting too, I like it when he's dealing with one of the numbers directly. Reese was completely underused (again), as was Shaw, but you can't always cram in all the characters, so that was alright, I guess.

What was NOT alright was that we still don't know jack about Root and what happened after she got away from Control. They could have spared at least one or two scenes for her - I would have even be happy with a scene of her just sitting at a computer doing something as of yet unexplained, or anything at all, really.

The ep wasn't all that bad, but it was missing something - call it heart or a little bit of humor, but something was definitely not there. It still kept me entertained, so it wasn't a complete failure.
Flag
We did see Root after she got away from Control. She was shown calling Harold from China. It looked like she was going after Greer, who had taken the disk drives from the 2nd machine. I'm betting that they're setting her up to be part of a big season-ending arc. I would rather that than having her in an episode just for the sake of having her in an episode. That would get tired very quickly.
Flag
When was that and how did I miss it?

You're right, they are probaly setting her up for the season-ending arc, and I don't want her to be there just to be there, but I somehow missed the call from China (or forgot about it) and we haven't seen anything about her since. Some hint as to her whereabouts would be appreciated...
Flag
That was at the end of Aletheia. They showed Root sitting in a restaurant or something in China (I think it was supposed to be China). I can't remember all that she said to Harold, but I think it was something about how she had had to leave without saying goodbye, there was something she had to do. She didn't mention Greer, but I'm assuming that was the implication. That was when she said she had a message for Arthur (Harold's old friend who was dying) and the machine showed him pics of his wife.
Maybe they haven't shown or mentioned her because they don't want to give away anything she's been up to and want it to be a total surprise. They've done a great job with that particular storyline so far, so I'm sure we're in for a good one.
Flag
Thanks, I remember now. They've really done a great job with Root's storyline so far, I hope the anticipation really pays off.
Flag
The saving grace of this episode, for me, was that everyone finally realized how awesome Fusco is. Seriously. It should've happened sooner.
Flag
Root has to be there in each episode!!!
Flag
Well, since Root's storyline is part of the serialised stuff, she is not really nescesary for these standalones. Therefore I don't agree 100%. That's not to say that I don't like Root or Mrs. Acker.

But if you meant to indicate that there should be a serialised aspect (preferably with root) in every episode, I have to agree with you.
Flag
Definitely agree. I started falling asleep and had to watch the next day. It was OK but had to rewatch some of it to understand the merging story lines. Liked Fusco though and looks like he will have the new rookie as partner.
Flag
Now why didn't Finch just send or made a back-up/ of all non-butt-calls and then let her delete the files so Susan Nichols could delete the files? He could obviously send files to Fusco so the server wasn't totally off the Internet.
Flag
Chain of evidence.

If the official records are deleted, the ILLIGAL, 3rd-party copies would not have been admissible in court.
Flag
" Mr. Voice hired a group of military-trained goons with connections to a Mexican cartel (?)"

Actually, as Reese noted, they weren't military-trained goons. The two guys at Aaron's apartment didn't do a military-style sweep.

They weren't connected to a Mexican cartel in this episode, the Temporalitos are Mexican kidnappers who typically work for drug cartels.
Flag
They are called Templarios (templars), not temporalitos (that would be "little temporary")
Flag
Yeah, I was going from memory. It's correct in the recap. :)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members