Person of Interest S03E17: "/"

In addition to its running themes of personal loss, redemption, and shooting someone in just the right spot in the leg, Person of Interest has always been about man's relationship with machines. Specifically, how we can machines to think like we do by creating artificial intelligence that can learn from us and, in extreme cases, adapt on its own. And hanging over that idea is the ever-present notion that the robot uprising will eventually follow, as machines become sentient and realize that metal is a lot harder than skin and bone. This week's excellent episode of Person of Interest, the Root-centric "/" (computer speak for "root directory"), took that idea a step further and put a new spin on it in an hour that asked a different question: What if, for once, WE learned something from the Machine instead of the other way around? 

Finch's Machine has had an affinity for us meatbags ever since it first opened its camera lens and said its first word: "Admin." With a little bit of tinkering, Finch taught it to appreciate human life and made it the badass people-saving entity it is today, and that's never been more apparent that it was in "/."

Root, however, has always been quite the opposite of the Machine, "feelings"-wise: She's robotic and detached, and I'm still taking the show's word for it that she's actually human. She's the Machine's analog interface for its "tertiary operations," a devotee who will blindly do whatever it asks her to do because she believes in whatever cause the Machine is part of. Imagine one of those Apple fanboy freaks, but a million times more crazy.

Together they make one hell of a team, and part of me thinks that Root's disconnection from the world is part of the reason for that. Because Root is so DFW with the Machine and doesn't weigh the consequences of its requests like a normal, rational human being would, she's more likely to do whatever it asks without thinking twice. But something funny happened in "/." The Machine taught Root how to be more human. Whoa

The number of the week in "/" belonged to Cyrus Wells, a seemingly unimportant janitor with a shady past. Root got his digits first, and it wasn't until she found him that the Machine passed his number onto Reese and Finch as well, the idea being that Wells' contact with Root instantly made him a potential victim. And not to take anything away from the Machine's powerful algorithms, but given Root's history of leaving bodies in her wake, it was an assessment that even a Speak N' Spell could have made. 

Long story short so I can make the rest of this story longer, Wells' status as one heck of a janitor meant that he had retinal access to one of the floors in his building that housed a super-computer manufacturer that made an extremely fast computer chip (yes, it was a weird place for a company like that). And it was the kind of computer chip that could handle the processing power required by the dormant Samaritan machine, which Decima Technologies now had in its possession. As Finch put it, Decima had the software (Samaritan), and now they just needed the hardware (the chip). Without the chip, Samaritan was a brick. Kind of like my 16GB iPhone 4s trying to handle iOS7. Seriously, how does my phone suck already!?!?

Very coincidentally, Wells was the victim of an attack in 2009 that killed his coworkers and friends after their company made it big in the stock market. And the perpetrator of that attack was Root, in her old days as a paid assassin. After Wells was taken by Decima, Finch and Root had a fantastic conversation (aren't all Root-Finch chats fantastic?) in which Root confessed that the Machine was telling her over and over again to save Cyrus when getting that chip was her main goal. "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?" an incredulous Root asked. "I didn't break it, it's what made it work," Finch said. "It was only after I taught the Machine that people mattered that it could begin to be able to help them. I'd like to be able to do the same for you if you'd let me." Awww. But Root wasn't on board with Finch's "human life is precious" lesson; in fact, she was practically offended that he'd even think such a thing. 

It wasn't until later, when she was faced with grabbing the chip or saving Cyrus's life that she chose Cyrus, making her God happy. "Was it just a coincidence, Cyrus and me? Or was the Machine trying to make some sort of point?" Root asked Finch. "You'd have to ask the Machine," he said. "I did, she's not telling," Root said. And so the Machine reared its divine head again, its analogy to God perfectly fitting its refusal to answer questions while letting its subjects arrive at the answers on their own. And in convincing Root to save Cyrus, the Machine absolved Root of her past sins. 

I've always loved the Machine = God themes, but I like to think that the Machine taught Root this lesson because it requires that Root be on the same page if the two are going to continue their relationship. The Machine needs Root and wants to be closer to Root. And now Root has a sweet communication device implanted in her ear, making her the cutest cyborg on the block and that much more of a machine herself. It's almost like what we do when we create a video-game character; we make it look like ourselves and act like ourselves. And in some crazy sense, the Machine is transforming Root into its real-world avatar. *brain explosion!*

And while Cyrus got his happy ending and the chance to start a new life, Decima now has the chip and is a few turns of a screw from installing Samaritan. Person of Interest is setting up a war of machines, or gods as Root calls them, for a kickass season finale. In one corner there's Samaritan, an open-source powerhouse that will be programmed for nefarious purposes by Greer and his goons, and in the other corner there's our Machine, a program that understands that we humans might not be so bad after all. I know which side I'll be on. 

NOTES OF INTEREST

– The final image of the episode showed the computer calculating casualty probabilities. Among the names was a Maria Martinez. Who is she? Not sure, but I'm guessing she'll appear in the next episode. And based on the number the Machine displayed for her probability of death, she's a goner.

– Shaw is positioned to be the new arch rival of Vigilance, which is a pretty smart move for the show. Just as HR was mainly Carter's beef and that arc paid off beautifully, Shaw can have her own important niche as Vigilance's headache. Without the dying, hopefully. 

– Ha, Fusco. Yeah, he's relegated to being the cop who gets people out of trouble, but he's still popping up to call Root "Cocoa Puffs" and "Cuckoo's Nest." Fusco may be a bit underserved, but he's still making his time count.

– Another amazing performance by Amy Acker, who continues to prove that there is no better actor for the role of Root. And boy can that woman taze!

– Awesome intro AGAIN, with Root providing half of the voiceover. Person of Interest's attention to detail and willingness to go the extra mile is astounding.

– The notion that Root learned the value of human life has huge implications for Root's characters if the lesson sticks. There's obviously been a love affair between the writers and Root, so there's a natural want to bring her over to the "good" side. Yet Person of Interest has pushed her along at exactly the right pace. She may not be entirely on Finch's team, but she's not the psycho she was when she was first introduced, and there's plenty of room for the writers to push her back into that territory if they so choose. She's in the perfect zone right now. As she says, "I know it seems weird but I'm one of the good guys, Harold." Weird indeed. Even Finch admitted that they're going to have work closely together. 

– Yep, that was the dude from Arrow (Colin Donnell) in the opening. Hello, dude from Arrow

– I love that Person of Interest isn't afraid to film in the elements. That scene in the snow was awesome. The weather adds so much texture to the show. Why don't all shows do this?

– While Finch was trying to figure out the secret code in the boner-pill spam message that Root sent him. Shaw: "Seems pretty clear to me, Finch." Reese: "I think she likes you, Harold." With friends like these, who needs enemies?

– "/":Root::"Razgovor":Shaw kinda!

– Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw Root and Shaw.

– This episode, written by David Slack, had that perfect mix of action, character work, mythology, and humor (I especially liked Root referring to Reese as an Australopithecus and helper monkey) that makes up all of Person of Interest's best episodes. Season 3 has been great, and "/" was another outstanding installment. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/21/2016

Season 5 : Episode 13

326 Comments
Comments (326)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I hope Root gonna replace Reese. She's perfect for Machine. Reese is kinda fading away a bit. He's just not that smart.
Flag
"That power you have? I've had it too.I know just what it's like to have all those answers buzzing in your ear. But at the end of the day, you still make choices."

Root had to be taught that. Reese already knew it.
Flag
@Tnetenba: (awesome name by the way), Root's two gun aiming without looking has to be the stupidest thing in this show. And nice recall on the Jack Bauer knife through bulletproof vest :D
Flag
I swear this show just keeps upping itself. I wanted to see it slowly (SLOWLY) evolve from cop procedural to full on sci-fi and that seems to be just what is happening. Amazeballs!
Flag
Reese is still the machine's greatest asset. The machine is built on Finch's philosophy and Reese is a follower of the same philosophy.

"That power you have? I've had it too.I know just what it's like to have all those answers buzzing in your ear. But at the end of the day, you still make choices."

Root had to be taught that. Reese already knew it.

Except for compassion, Root is the perfect 'analog interface' for the machine. The qualities she possess makes her the ultra unique candidate for this position,
Loyalty to the machine
Hacking skills
Knowledge
Assassin experience
Hunger for direct connection to machine

Now that she has coaching for "people matters" from Finch and an ever reliable connection, she is on the verge of being the perfect combatant for the machine.

I still believe the machine wants Samaritan to be up and running. For what, that's yet to be seen.

Can anybody explain why Root was missing from the threat assessment?

Flag
I meant to say, it'd be interesting if Peter Collier were to discover that one or more of his followers is in it just for the guns and fights. Not because (s)he believes in Vigilance's cause.
Flag
It'd

Flag
Bear in the snow! And opening and closing scenes. For the win. (Everyone else has talked about everything else, seeing this almost a week late.)
Flag
Root's character development has been spectacular throughout the show's run. This was an amazing episode.
Flag
Amy Acker! Ladies and gentlemen! I will now go watch Angel and cry as Fred dies....and Illyria is born.
Flag
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the appeal of 'Root'?

When she first came on the scene, she was by far the annoying and irritating villain I've ever seen in any show or movie. She's a complete psychopath who's incapable of feeling any bit of empathy and her demeanor is of some condescending defensive bitch who acts superior to everyone and somehow gets away with it because of her leet hacking skillz.

But she was the VILLAIN, i.e. she was going to be put down eventually. You see, this is why we make villains so unlikable - so that when they're defeated, we don't feel bad for wanting them to die.

What happened next simply baffles me. Instead of dying, she becomes a main character! As in, an unlikable villain is now a PROTAGONIST! Not only that, but she has become MORE irritating, rude and holier-than-thou, especially towards the other protagonists who ARE likable.

And then the writers decide to give her the equivalent of superpowers. I honestly can't think of a worse protagonist in any media ever in the history of the world, and yet..

You people seem to like her. Why? Because the actress who plays her does a great job. So what?! If Gary Oldman becomes the next member on the team and he plays his best Ukranian terrorist figure.. are we all going to like that? Of course not.

Evil characters need to remain antagonists and YES root is evil. Why? Because she thinks like a villain, acts like a villain and is acted like a villain. The fact that she's somehow supposed to be a protagonist without ANY character transition (and yes, I watched this episode - weepy eyes are not character transition. I'm talking about an actual moment where she changes as a person, which is IMPOSSIBLE because she's a fucking PSYCHOPATH!), is the result of nothing less than shitty writing.

Sorry, Mr. Nolan. You had a great idea at first.
More+
Flag
omg yes, I'm with you all the way, especially with when you say "annoying", GOD her character is AWFUL but now they're trying to redeem her and make her likeable. I, like you, only put up with her awful character because I figured eventually they'd kill her, now she's going to be on the team? blah. this show hasn't disappointed me in the long run yet tho, so I still think they'll do it, but I bet you anything she's going to die by sacrificing herself so she dies a hero. boooooooo!!
Flag
No, I don't understand it either.
All I know is that I think she is awesome and I want her on screen as much as possible.
Flag
I hope they kill off Root by season's end. As it is, Reese has to hold his nose while working with her. I can't see him keeping that up indefinitely.
Flag
This is really an amazing show. Humor (Where were you before this? Shaw names some Psychiatric Hospital), wonderful character development e.g. Root and Shaw, a great plot line with twists and turns, and an great cast with talented recurring characters e.g. Elias, Zoe Morgan, Leon and a number of gov't baddies.

Best written show on TV. Kudos.

Flag
I would like to defend Amy Acker's talent.

Josh Whedon, I think, is an excellent judge of character.

He gave Summer Glau her start in a memorable episode of 'Angel' where she used her ballerina skills to great effect. He also chose Amy for 'Angel' as a regular. She was the mousy Fred, who then became the goddess Illyria:

Acker deserves at least an Emmy Nomination as Root.

If the Powers That Be want to amp it up, 'Sleepy Hollow' style, they might consider the following plot scenario:

Bring Samaritan fully online. It begins to wreak havoc world-wide. But it's jealous; it doesn't have its own Avatar, like Root. It wants one of its own. So, it makes one. Meanwhile, the Producers have signed Summer Glau to play that Samaritan-Root.

Then you could have one or more scenes where Acker and Glau fight each other. Just imagine. To the death; only one survives.
Flag
I like the way you think! Probably won't happen, but now someone's writing that scenario!
Flag
...oh, and it's Joss, although autocorrect might still be messing with his name...
Flag
Root is one of the best anti-heroes to have ever blessed the small screen.
Flag
So Shaw's first name is Sameen?
Flag
Well, at least it's not Samaritan!
Flag
Awesome episode, also loved seeing Colin Donnell pop up in this, more of him please!
Flag
Root to Shaw: I love when you play Doctor!!
Hahaha!
Flag
I want to Root and Shaw in a lesbian relationship
Flag
....as opposed to the 'straight' relationship that everybody would think of when they talk about those two women being in a relationship. I don't see the point in adding something that's already implied other than for prurient interests.
Flag
what?!!!!
Flag
I just have one request from Mr. Jim, Can you PLEASE use the WHOLE of your voice? I don't want to recognize you with Clint Eastwood, as much as I love that guy.
Flag
*as
Flag
I ABSOLUTELY Love everything else.
Flag
The co-ordinates of the mass casualty event are Billy's Tourist Board, New York! Can someone enlighten me?
Flag
Yes Shaw and Root definitely Apply pressure and keep things hot between them! Shaw play hot naughty doc with Root. I kind of can ship someone for the first time.
Flag
A great episode and good we have more on root although the human element of root is disappearing after going deaf in one ear she more sacrificing her body for the machine. At least we have a Shaw versus vigilance which will give Reese and fusco more time against decima. Amy Acker should got some recognition for her role.
Flag
Good to see a Root filled episode. Root was badass as usual and her fist bump as epic!
Flag
what really blow my mind is that machine consider Peter Collier as asset.
i'm not surprised for control and Hersch as asset (since they are from relevang team)
guess the machine really need all help to war against Samaritan
Flag
The machine does not consider Peter Collier as an asset. He is listed as a subject.

I don't think the war is going to be between Machine and Samaritan. Its the people who control Samaritan who pose the threat. I believe, the Machine needs Samaritan for its completion, kinda like the Oracle and the Architect!
Flag
I'm thinking the Machine's definition of "asset" could include people who are unwittingly helping it, that it is using for its own purposes without their knowing. The machine may be trying to develop them into an asset for the big showdown against Decima/Samaritan. Lines are being drawn. It's spent a lot of time already rehabilitating Root, and Vigilance's goals at least aren't that far from its own. It may be trying to bring them into the fold.
Flag
Harold, work with Root if you must. But never forgive or trust her. She threatened Grace, remember?

No matter how much Root redeems herself, I can't see Reese ever trusting her even if the rest of the team does.

I wonder if Root has considered that The Machine could reveal all her own secrets to the world, the same way She gives Root information on everyone they deal with.
Flag
Root Root Root Root Root Root Root Root Root Root.
Flag
The Machine has a soft spot for The Fusco. (Who doesn't?) It reminded him to transfer money from savings to cover the rent and sent him a battery for his smoke detector.

Another great episode.
Flag
oh I missed most of that! Awesome! I noticed the money transfer that Root mentioned. Didn't think much of it. This show minds the details so well.
Flag
This was a superb episode. All characters gelled, though the opening was a bit long. Reese and Shaw balanced each other out, rather than one eclipsing the other. Major plus. I liked the Root/Shaw interaction in the final scene. Fascinating blend of character interaction, action and continuity.
Flag
Can we just follow Root for the rest of the season? Please. And maybe throw in Shaw to the mix as well.
Flag
Um... No?
Flag
This episode was SUPERB and I was ecstatic at the end of it. And also really sad.

What’s happening to Finch and Reese? Are they even important anymore? Finch did have some great exchanges with Root but John has become pretty much useless. He needs Fusco AND Root to disarm a couple of armed men while Shaw can defeat ELEVEN heavily armed thugs by herself with a gun only, then while she’s SURROUNDED she of course beats the hell out of the rest of them with a bloody iron bar.

The episode was amazing, the story is so compelling, but I can’t help but be very sad.

It’s like reading the greatest story, appallingly tainted with trite sexual fantasies and banal clichés (Shaw/Root frequent innuendos + the unbeatable sexy killer who used to be bad but now she’s so very good and right).

Sigh and sigh. I can’t stop watching because Root and her storyline are STELLAR. And the fact that now that’s the only reason, after having been so much in love with John and Harold’s stories, just feels awfully wrong.
Flag
This show is hard for me to put down because I really need to know what's going to happen in the end, but 100% agree. I wince every time one of those innuendos comes up, seriously, drop the fan-fic and get back to writing real TV you guys!
Flag
Very good points. Reese was once the sole - and riveting - focus of the show. That subway scene where he is a demoralized ex-op, attacked by a bunch of thugs who thought he was a helpless victim, is still with me. That's the Reese character I remember and love! What's happened to the show is that all of the characters are now leads to one degree or another, while Reese is merely around to remind people of what the show once was. The last episode "/" was fantastic, but hardly the Person of Interest hook I remember.
Flag
"all of the characters are now leads to one degree or another, while Reese is merely around to remind people of what the show once was"

I couldn't have expressed it better, that's exactly what I think.
Flag
I agree with you about Reese - time was he'd have taken all of those guys on his own and not even broken a sweat. Wonder what happened now?

Reese was awesome in the earlier episode - because that was a flashback - I think they need to figure out a clear role for Reese in the new team. Also, there needs to be more interaction between Finch and Reese - I think a lot of the old magic was their relationship. Can we have some of that back?
Flag
Ok I guess you're forgetting Last Call when Reese tells Shaw to stand down because he doesn't need help to destroy limbs of some twenty only assassins! Cut scene and behold the awesomeness.
Flag
yes... all that is fine. so what happened in \?
Flag
Well yes, but now we have such great interaction between Finch and Root, Root and Shaw, Shaw and Fusco.....
An expansion in the team will always bring with it a change in team dynamics. And the show managed to make the new dynamic at least as fun and good as the old one.
Flag
I personally preferred the interaction between Finch and Reese. Their relationship was quite special, and I enjoyed their trials and tribulations. The change in team dynamic is fine, I guess, but I prefer the occasional appearance of a new lead, rather than an entire team of leads all the time.
Flag
I really like last night's episode and I hope that Root does learn the lesson the machine was trying to teach her. If she can be a team player I believe that Root will have no problem working with Finch, Reese, and Shaw. I would really love to see Root as one of the good guys.
Flag
I thought I heard Root say that she "set up" the hit on the bankers.

If she did the hit on the bankers she would have known what happened to them instead in the past. She kept badgering the janitor for information, and did not really know what connected her to them and him, until he told her the date of the assassination.
Flag
He was unimportant. Then and now to her. She probably wouldn't have remembered him even if she had been staring at picture of his corpse after having shot him in the head at pointblank range.
Flag
Wonderful work from one of the best shows on television right now.
LOVE the idea of The Machine teaching A HUMAN about humanity and caring and other icky, squishy feelings.

And you said it: Root and Shaw and Shaw and Rood... Those two are the new old married couple on the show. Seriously.
I'm not sure if there's more bickering and bantering or UST - they just KILL all their screentime together, it's magical.

Also, I agree that Vigilance and Shaw make excellent arch enemies - they're the patriots.
Root is going up against Decima as they're the priesthood of the new god (blasphemers, who are trying to CONTROL a god, if we're trying to go by Root's mindset here), and Finch is mostly trying to save people and protect his baby, The Machine itself. &3
Flag
At least we got one shot of everyone's favourite Bear.

Flag
I think Tim forgot to metion Bear, Inexcusable.

The main character plus Reese, Shaw and Finch.
Flag
And I bet Bear was the one not freezing in this scene :D
Flag
Yea, I thought that when i watched it. Bear looks like he's enjoying the weather!
Flag
This was one of my favorite episode it has everything and all the chars were in it only thing that could of made it better was if zoey showed up lol also root flirting with shaw threw the episode was the best
Flag
the attention to detail, the excellent work on the script and dialogue and character development... this thing is art, it's intricately woven lace of a narration and my fav show right now :D it's been three years and it hasn't disappointed me once, and it gets better and better...
Flag
Great episode! Best thing I've seen for a while.

Very well written. Every scene and moment counted, and nothing dragged. This episode could be a lesson in tight writing.

I'm not so sure about this war of machines, but quality TV is quality TV. And this was sheer Quality.
Flag
What was the deal with opening guy? Eye candy or something more in the future?
Flag
Im thinking he was eye candy but I'm hoping he comes back for the future. Seemlessly learning a signature in one go and a german accent? You never know when one of the team might end up in prison again then we would definitely see him with his dino loving body guard. :)
Flag
So, without a doubt, great episode.

But...

...am I the only one around here who is completely NOT into Amy Acker? I think she's awful. One note (bitchy sarcasm) dialogue delivery (and they have written GREAT lines for her) and the ridiculous facial expressions.

Tim... Really, Tim.. No better actor for the role? Is rather see, I don't know, Tina Fey play Root.

Am I alone on this? I'll shut up about it if I am.
Flag
I hate Root's character. But that's because she reminds me of my sociopath ex.
Flag
Yes I'd say you're the only one. Personally I love Root - more and more every episode...but we need more Elias and Leon...
Flag
I love amy acker but I know where you're coming from. The original actress who played root Rachel Miner could have done a great job too. She was also on supernatural so I know that she could play psycho as well as Amy Acker.
Flag
Ummm, yes. I love that woman. There is one thing she can do better than just about anyone else, and that's the crazy eyes that pretty much define Root. I mean seriously, take her scene with Control in the cage a few episodes ago, that was just insanely good. Wouldn't replace her with anyone.
Flag
It seemed a bit odd that Root was the assassin that killed Cyrus' friends/partners. In "Root Cause" she used someone else to do the shooting stuff, and just stayed behind the computer and hacked.
Flag
I think she set it up - i don't think she did the actual killing
Flag
Cyrus actually mentions it was a guy who barged in and shot up his workplace.
Flag
Ok, now I'm officially impressed! I mean what kind of genius(es) can write a script like this! Respect!
Flag
Good. 2 fantastic episodes in a row. Hopefully, we're ramping up to a blowout of a series finale. :-)
Flag
If I remember right, root met the janitor at exactly 07:04 am....while the shooting at his place of work took place at April 7th 2009...coinsidence? I think not...
Flag
Good call!
Flag
Root and Shaw pairing becoming more and more maintext is one of the select few things that make me wanna keep breathing..
Flag
That was a piece of POI at its best. Pure brilliance! Where do I sign up for the new 'religion'?
Flag
Great episode. And you forgot, that the writers gave the word schizophrenic a completely new meaning: "Doctor I hear voices in my head." - "Ah, that's God's voice."

Does the "Admin" mean Finch or not? Why is there no name then?
Flag
And Finch isn't his real name.
Flag
But then what about Reese and Shaw? Those are not their real names either.
Flag
Because "Admin" is what "she" calls him.
Flag
Poll

Flag
whiskey wasn't insane. I mean she was a blank slate. Whiskey as one of the dudes or the doctor maybe...
Flag
:)
Flag
I am getting kind of sick of Root. Her episodes have "deep story" sure, but they simply aren't as fun. Look at the Reese on a plane episode. That one episode was more fun than all the Root episodes this season combined. Am I the only one getting sick of the way she insults Reese? I felt like Reese got a little bit of vindication when he saved Root, then she went right back to Helper Monkey when she talked with Finch.

I am afraid Reese will be the next to go. They think they can run the show with Shaw, and Root; and maybe they can. But it won't be the same. And it won't be nearly as good.
Flag
You didn't fight Root teasing Fusco, or flirting with Sam, or pushing Finch's buttons, "fun"?
Flag
I couldn't disagree more with that first paragraph. Reese breaking the door to the cockpit with a food cart that probably weighs less than he does was Under the dome stupid, and it wasn't the only bad thing in that episode (which could have been fun if it wasn't so dumb, but would still have been almost irrelevant to everything else). And how was this not fun? How about little details like:

* The egging incident: Can you imagine what went through the janitor's head when he stood there with a bottle of booze in one hand and some eggs in the other?
* root giving Fusco a fresh battery for his smoke alarm: The machine would never care about such details, so she must have asked it to give her some information that she could use to mess with Fusco. Fusco is definitely going to be awake at 2:41 AM just to see if it starts beeping like she said.
* root giving Finch an ad for a boner pill, and Reese commenting "I think she likes you".
* Fusco's rhetorical question about what he was supposed to say to his captain. I don't remember the exact words, but it was something about root having superpowers, and it ended with "Just ask my friend, the urban legend".

The episode could have contained more of Reese kicking ass, but wouldn't the show get boring pretty fast if it's just about that?

I don't think they're likely to get rid of Reese, but I agree that it wouldn't be the same without him, and it wouldn't be as good. I don't mind Shaw at all, but she is making John a lesser character, and I don't like that.

More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It's all about her hubris. Harold even mentioned that later.
Flag
The fun cannot be eliminated. It's part of the show. But it has to be managed. Too much, and the whole thing becomes sarcastic. Exactly like the 'Reese on a plane' episode or 'Fusco saves the supermodel' episode. It's ok, once in a while, to go crazy, but I am ok with one-liners here and there. I think this episode was well balanced in that regard.
Flag
I enjoyed '4C' -- or am I the only one?
Flag
I did. It was a humorous episode most of the way. Fine by me, every now and then... and it had a point: to bring back Reese. (Him leaving gave Carter's death substance within the POI universe).
Flag
As I recall, a vast majority of the comments to that review were positive. I really didn't like it, because of stupid details like how Reese broke that door, but I think most people did.
Flag
It is, and I believe I've said so in some other post. But that scene with the door was something extra. Makes as much sense as breaking a regular door by breathing on it.

Root's ability to "shoot without aiming" ("aim without looking" would be more accurate) is silly because if The Machine is just giving her instructions in plain English, there's no way those instructions can contain enough information. So they would have had to invent a communication protocol that makes it possible to give her more information in less time. But then they would also have had to spend a lot of time (months?) practicing, just to ensure that root is able to interpret the information correctly and follow the instructions fast enough. This is unrealistic, but not entirely impossible.

That door though...I'm still not over it. But then I'm still not entirely over that scene where Jack Bauer through a screwdriver through a bulletproof vest.
Flag
How about Root's ability to shoot without aiming? That's not a stupid unrealistic detail?
Flag
Tim, I'm surprised at you for not discussing the Harold-hacked Cochlear Implant scene. When I saw that, and afterwards, I though this outdoes Intelligence. Think of it, Root is now jacked into the Machine -- interference is not possible.
Flag
I didn't really understand this. How is she now communicating with the machine and why can't it be interfered with?
Flag
I'm not sure I understood it either, but I think this is what happened: The Machine didn't want to get cut off from root again, so it told her to take some electronic device to Finch, and ask him to do something to it. She then took it with her to that surgeon, who put it inside her broken ear. She can now hear the machine in that ear, through that device, which must have a component for wireless communication. Not sure if this procedure also restored her hearing on that ear.

It can't be interfered with because the show says so. This is totally ridiculous, because radio can always be jammed by a more powerful transmitter.
Flag
Aah cool, I see (after some magnification) that the picture below says that it's using infrasound. This is still pretty odd, because what is it talking too? Did she leave an other infrasound device just out of range of the radio jammers?
Flag
Repeater: Yes, that device can at least receive infrasound, and probably emit infrasound as well. The question is, where is the transmitter that emits the infrasound that her implant is receiving?

I also wonder if it's at all possible to get sufficient bandwidth for voice communication on an infrasound connection. I would guess that it's not.
Flag
My thinking is that the Cochlear Implant is the "infrasound" -- Harold hacked it before installation.

For Root, "infra" would mean the voice she hears would literally now be inside her head, making her crazy real.
Flag
Flag
chrelle66: She would have had to be very busy to set that up. :) That's why I was thinking that she could have left one or a few infrasound devices in the area, each one hooked up by wire to something like a smartphone that communicates by radio. If just one of those smartphones is outside the range of the radio jammers, then they'll be able to talk. But I wonder if the writers have even thought about those details.

The "too" in my post was a typo. An edit button would be nice.
Flag
So, there are infrasound transmitters placed all over the city, like cell-towers?
Flag
I've been wondering about that too. There must be some sort of radio link, regardless of whether it is and earbud or an implant.
Flag
I had the same thought. As signal is not blocked by the mobile phone disturbing device, it must be another kind of communication. In POI they are much smarter then Intelligence where they want you to believe that Sawyer has satellite communication inside a building. The only other way of communication is some sort of radio signal.
Flag
Combat Mode!

Flag
Flag
what is root doing in perth at this safe house is the dude at the end of lastweek's episode there
Flag
Ok, I'm not one to complain that much, but...

Oh who am I kidding? That was 43 minutes of pure brilliance!! It was a Root-tastic episode. Can't wait for next week's episode... :)

Flag
This episode was great I really hope the show moves away from the ''person of the week'' theme the blacklist should do the same.Does decima work for the chinese government?and why would summeritian kill the good guys what is it programmed to do?
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members