Person of Interest S03E03: "Lady Killer"

In its first two seasons, Person of Interest was, for the most part, a dude show, covering the full spectrum of men in just two people: the brawny, shoot-first John Reese and the brainy, tech-genius Harold Finch. Yeah, men! But as the universe of the series has expanded and the show has grown up a bit, women have played a bigger part in the equation. Sure there was always Joss Carter, but she's been more of a silent partner in the grand scheme of the series, often relegated to tapping on police-computer keyboards to look up valuable info that Reese and Finch can use in their clubhouse adventures. 

But since Person of Interest came to the understanding that it has a long life ahead of it, the show has focused more on its female supporting players, or at least on Person of Interest's idea of what it means to be female. Zoe Morgan has been on call when a job requires a sexy cover, yet she's as strong willed as an old oak; Root has developed into an intriguing psychopath who's willing to do whatever she needs to for a her current cause; Samantha Shaw is even more Reese than Reese at his most emotionally detached. And it's this take on feminine behavior that allows a silly gag like Zoe, Shaw, and Carter comparing tiny firearms and pulling stun guns out of their handbags to be much more entertaining than it should be. The women aren't portrayed as damsels in need of a knight who shoots people in the leg, they can take care of themselves, whether it be as a sharp detective, a well-informed woman with a Rolodex full of "mutual friends," a hacker maniac with empty eyes and a mischievous grin, or a bloodthirsty grump who eats steak off a knife and whines about men having emotions. So excuse me for finding Shaw pulling at her thigh-high skirt or Carter lighting up at the sight of Shaw's purse gun amusing. For as serious and tough as Person of Interest is on the outside, it sure likes to have fun.

But thankfully, Person of Interest knew when the joke had run its course, and the ladies'-night-out portion of "Lady Killer" didn't last too long, allowing Shaw and Carter to get back to shooting thugs within minutes. Things are usually more than what they seem on this show, and indeed, "Lady Killer" wasn't just about the Ms. February, Ms. May, and Ms. October of the Person of Interest Calendar roping in a ladies' man by showing off their lady bits at a club, as the episode description and promotional images indicated. 

Instead, "Lady Killer" had all the elements of a classic crowd-pleasing story: a perpetrator who actually turned out to be a victim, a rich old dude we could all hate, and Hallmark movie morals that we could get behind. But it was also full of Person of Interest's trademark surprises. The number of the week belonged to Ian Murphy, an investing whiz who went from bartender rags to business-partner riches and spent his downtime seducing as many woman as he could bait-and-switch from dating websites. Reese decided to send Carter, Zoe, and Shaw out on the town in form-fitting sleeveless dresses to catch a predator, and a quick date with Carter later, we realized Murphy wasn't really a bad guy, he was just a horny guy filling the hole of a broken relationship with meaningless sexual escapades. 

From there, "Lady Killer" took a sharp turn, opening up Murphy's story to reveal—not only to us, but to him—that he'd fathered a child with the now-deceased daughter of an annoying rich guy who didn't like Murphy's lack of a mouth full of silver spoons, and who was doing everything possible to keep Murphy away from his son. And faster than you could say "ironic facial hair," Murphy became the most sympathetic character on television, a father who just wanted to meet and raise his kid. Awww! Or maybe Ugh. You choose.

I love it when Person of Interest attempts switcheroos with its number-of-the-week formula by going from good-to-bad or bad-to-good, but Murphy's flip felt unnecessary, and it didn't have the kind of impact other turns of fortune have had on this show. I don't even know why they made him a womanizer in the first place, other than to intentionally mislead us; he could have been a circus rodeo clown or a Subway sandwich artist and the second half of the story wouldn't've had to change one bit. Maybe it was just an excuse to get Shaw, Zoe, and Carter in a dance club together, or someone really wanted to use that stun-gun joke at all costs (which, fine, I'll allow it). Whatever the case, I don't have to tell you that Reese ended up punching the rich guy in the face on behalf of us poor people, the team found proof that the kid was Murphy's, another citizen of New York was saved, and now the Big Apple can live in peace until next Tuesday at 10pm.  

But honestly, why are we talking about Murphy when we should be talking about what made "Lady Killer" truly great: a return to our Root! We all knew it was a matter of time before Root skipped out on that loony bin (nothing short of a Carbonite mold is going to hold her), and her escape was magnificent. The Person of Interest writing staff is so smart with their handling of Root; they know to just let Amy Acker do her thing. It's so much fun to listen to Root talk that she doesn't even have to follow through with her threats; if she says she's going to do something, she does it. Her tongue and her soulless eyes (like a doll's eyes, a salty sea captain might say) are her weapons.

So when her doctor staggered into the hallway dazed and saw it littered with the unconscious bodies of hospital security and a few innocent bystanders, it was more effective than actually showing Root go through with the plan she promised a scene earlier. She did punch him in the carotid artery, the thermostat did kick up to 75 degrees and vaporized the knockout gas than went into the ventilation system, and she was walking her ass out the facility just as she said. (But just to make sure we know she is a real threat, she stared her doctor in the face while she took a no-look shot to debilitate henchman Hirsch. Chilling! And while we're at it, entirely badass!)

Root's deliberate demeanor is so effective because Root is the closest thing we have to a machine in this show other than The Machine. She's incredibly calculated and cold, and in many ways, more mechanical than The Machine itself. It's another example of how much Person of Interest enjoys flipping the script on so many conventions that we've inadvertently acquired through decades of television watching. Women on Person of Interest aren't helpless, victims can be perpetrators and vice versa, and the relationship between a crazy chick and a super computer can be flipped so that The Machine is using her more than she's using The Machine. Person of Interest can at times be as predictable as any other show on CBS, but most of the time, it's ahead of the curve and playing with preconceived notions.

We can file the Season 3 premiere under "predictable," but the two episodes that've followed have been much better. And now, with Root finally on the run with her computer overlord calling the shots, Mr. Finch is right, we do have a problem.

NOTES OF INTEREST

– I'll let the "Is Shaw messing up the dynamic between Reese and Finch?" debate continue in the comments, but I for one am enjoying the running joke that she has to be the one who drives. She wanted to row the boat on the lake in the opening scene on her faux-date with Reese, and Finch knew her well enough to include her driving clause on her fake dating profile. That little detail is such an efficient way to show off her character's personality.

– If anyone knows Amy Acker's home address, please forward it to me as I would like to send her all of the TV.com Awards we have available because she's an absolute joy and no I won't stalk her too much just a little and hey are any of you out there lawyers because I might need your help at some point. 

– Finch was on fire in this episode. My favorite was when Shaw said, "The guy went from blue blood to hipster faster than you can say ironic facial hair." Finch replied, "I don't understand anything you just said." He also couldn't bring himself to use the word "sexy" with Carter, choosing to say, "Wear something... less than conservative" instead. And about that giant bone that Shaw says Bear likes so much? "His intestines beg to differ." Finally, his "You're welcome" to Bear when the dog just devoured his food bowl was great.

– Fusco paying five bucks for club soda, ha! But it would have been nice to see more Fusco. This show has a good problem on its hands... too many characters we want to spend time with and not enough screen time for all of them.

– Is Shaw really taking Bear from Finch, too? Sheesh, lady, cool it! And does Shaw really seem like the dancing type?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/21/2016

Season 5 : Episode 13

186 Comments
Comments (186)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Thoroughly enjoyed this episode and the camaraderie between the women. Maybe now that Carter is out of the picture, it wouldn't surprise me to see them pair up Shaw and Carter. She'll be sorely missed.
Flag
I just loved it, and I'm starting to really like Shaw. She doesn't mess up the Reese-Finch dynamic I think (even though I was one of those last season that was afraid of it happening).
Flag
Everyone else thinks she does. the ratings have gone down drastically.
Flag
EFF IT!!! I'm sooo late to the POI party...but this has GOT to be my FAV episode this season! (And my fav season!) POI just keeps getting better over time! LOVE
Flag
I love the look on Shaw's face after Murphy gives her the once-over, then passes her by in the bar in favor of Carter. She was actually confused when he didn't try to pick her up!

Despite her complaints about emotions and her "advice" on dating to Reese, she doesn't seem to realize that her best "come and get me" look is really more voracious and threatening than attractive.
Flag
I do not really get why so many fans of POI seem to despise Shaw... Isn't she just cool and sexy? I admit, right now her character is a little bit one-dimensional (but still fun) given her sole obsession with killing, weapons and having the overall control. But I am sure, POI has plans for her and will give her more depths in the future - otherwise it would be a waste of potential.

I think, there is no reason to be jealous or even afraid that she will disturb the bond between Finch and Reese, their relationship is far too strong to be destroyed so easily, and I don't think, Shaw would be even interested in that.
Flag
I don’t really like how Harold is now out in the open and interacting with the “numbers”, it seems careless of him. I hope that something bad happens that forces him to go back to the old paranoid Finch ways.
Flag
The one character who seems to suffering for screen time is Fusco maybe that will be addressed in future episodes. With the emergence of the group that killed last weeks POI and Root on the loose we have two further strands to the series its getting murkier and complicated.
Flag
I would have wanted to see the episode where Fusco saved the Russian model lady (or something) from Fusco's side :))) He's hilarious
Flag
  • I loved this episode. It was fun, and of course so much girl power. Just sooo freaking much!!! I love how badass all the women of this show are. But they are all badass in different types of ways. It's realistic. Strong women but not in some preconcieved notion of what a strong woman should be. I find Carter to be the most well rounded and realistic of the bunch, but still.
  • I could watch an entire sideshow of Carter and Shaw happily squeeing over weapnry in kickass dresses while Zoe seems unimpressed while holding a pink taser. Pink? Really? Whatever. Plus...umm, I really, really, really want that dress that Carter was wearing. It was so pwetty! Says a lot since I'm not one that wears dresses often.
  • Shaw was funny. I love Shaw as a character, I don't think the issue is that people don't like Shaw. It's just that they don't think Shaw should be a series regular, and have such a substantial role. Shaw, to me, is sort of like a Reese version of Zoe. She's all enigmatic and mysterious, but she's a no strings attached sort of loner type, and they go out of their way to constantly remind us of that while giving her strings and tyign her down to the boys...which doesn't feel right for her character no matter how many badass and awesome moments she has. They force feed her a bit to the audience too. I like the jokes as much as the next girl, but they doon't need to drill them in so often every time she appears onscreen. Yes, the scene with the girls all dressed up at the safe house was awesome. But did we need to see Shaw tugging at her dress awkwardly? No. Especially since they showed us in the premiere that she isn't above wearing one on a mission...so making a stink about her diong it now felt odd becuase i twas after the fact and a bit redundant. I laughed at all of her scowling...especially the face she had when Ian walked by, priceless...but we get it. She's the woman that onbliterates any social constructs on gender roles. We also get that she's a sociopath. No need to rehash it every single time she's on scene, even if it does make for some chuckle worthy moments.
  • My critiques of her aside, Shaw had some awesome moments. I love her attachment to bear. She wasn't lying when she said she was only there for the dog. I mean to the point where she even took Bear home with her. I loved the friendly rapport she had with Carter, like I would genuinely love to see them work together more because there was a fun chemistry there. Her whole "I look good" bit and Carter assuring that she does like any good girl friend would why letting John know that they'd work on Shaw not looking so angry in the car. The whole weapon exchange and Shaw saying she'd let Carter borrow it...and giving each other kudos on their shots. Great stuff. I was also amused at Shaw picking apart Reese's love life and the nature of his relationships with Zoe and Carter. Her spiel about Men and their emotions and wanting to be held and her not having time for it...quote that had me in hystericas and made my night.
  • So loved seeing Warren Kole again, and based on how genuinely interested he was in Carter, I would not be opposed to seeing him pop up again sometime. I liked the switch from Ian being a possible "lady killer" to him just being this poor schmuck with slight stalking tendencies. I'm sorry, I mean attentive. The whole thing with him being from poor breeding and him having this kid punched me right in the feels that I claim I don't have.
  • John punched ole gramps good. Sticking up for the little people Johnny. That was almost as good as shooting a guy in the kneecap.
  • Am I the only one who would have loved to have actually seen Reese when he was spending the day with Carter before her date? Things have been tense between them for some time now. Ever since she had to bury that body. John in his own way had been trying to make amends for sort of leaving her hanging on that, for some time now...but now there is still this distance between them because of the whole Elias thing and Reese knows that something is up. Carter knows that he's percetive so she comes across as though she avoids him as much as she can, as far as seeing him in person, so I can only imagine what it was like with him spending the day with her and her trying not to let it show that she is harboring this secret...and this fugitive. It's one of those little side things going on with those two that I'm so interested in.
  • Yup. Fusco was fun but not much presence, which again, is why regardless of how amazing the characters are, it sucked a bit when they added new regulars. They have a host of great characters and not nearly enough time to focus on them all...but Fusco continues to get the short end of the stick. So much so, that I'm constantly afraid that they'll kill him off.
  • Root's exit was AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I love her "thing" with The Machine. She really feels like she has this connection with it an she's like this warrior of God, but god, for her, is this machine. Amy Acker plays crazy so well. She was in that place so long that I almost forgot just how ruthless and badass she can be. That shot w/o looking was amazing. Things are definitely going to get interesting now that she isn't locked away anymore and I can't wait!
More+
Flag
Loved Carters dress too :))
Flag
so happy to see root get more air time, been a huge fan of amy acker since her Angel days. And on dollhouse she did have a part that resembled root in some instances...
Flag
I knew the guy wasn't a bad guy when he choose to date Carter. It said cop right on her profile. God how dumb can someone be to try and kill a cop when there are plenty of other ladies who don't carry weapons.
Flag
I liked Shaw as a character last season. This season, I'm liking her less with each episode. Maybe now that Root escaped she and Shaw can team up to be the sociopath hot chick counterpart to Finch and Reese and do .. whatever the Machine plans for Root to do, and Reese and Finch can go back to being the duo God intended, without any extraneous parts.
Flag
I think this season has taken a wrong turn.

The Root story for me is the interesting story. The Reese, Finch and Shaw story seems to be a spoof of what went before. And I think the Shaw 'I'm driving' joke has been overplayed.

The brilliant previous season left us with some very interesting holes to fill. HR, Elias, the Russians and a government department that was taking things too far (in the sense of killing innocent people).

Now when I see the credits 'The government think their irrelevant. We don't', I kind of want to scream "but you've proved that right now they kind of are compared to what else is out there!!".

I really expected this season to be pursuing HR and trying to undo the 'giving the Machine to the government' mistake, as well as case-of-the-week if practical. But Reese and Finch are playing out the story like former things don't exist. And I don't understand it.
Flag
So why havent bear got an emmy nomination yet?
Flag
Excellent episode. I appreciate it whenever Person of Interest attempts something unusual. Such as taking a closer look at all of its strong and varied female characters. At once. It's amazing how much a show that started out as being about two secluded guys has expanded since, enough to now boast an impressive cast that isn't fully dominated by males. How many series would actually manage to handle such a growth in a natural manner?

I loved the humor throughout the episode. Shaw vying for control even when it comes to a row boat, the girls presenting their weapons (Zoe killed it with her gift from John), Bear being the center of attention again, or Finch's priceless lines. POI does this kind of balancing between the fun and the serious extremely well.

Ahh, I missed Zoe. We're not seeing her nearly as often as I'd like. She and John ought to officially get together, and soon!

Sarah Shahi's character has seen more fleshing out. Shaw is enjoying a lot of screen time right now, in no small part because she is still relatively new to the party and has yet to find her real spot. Bear is her only true love so far, and who would've thought that she could dance? Of course she only truly feels comfortable when allowed to shoot people.
The writers also seem to know what they are doing with Shaw. The social awkwardness is very much empahsized (and it's clear that Shahi's directions are to act this way - I've heard complaints about the actress seemingly not enjoying her role). Her being angry all the time has even been pointed out through Reese (also heard complaints about that). So, at the very least there is a plan.

I didn't think that it was necessary for Fusco to be in this episode at all. He had a funny quip and a small-ish part, but they could've easily done without. I hope the writers don't try to go out of their way to always find something to do for everyone - Reese & Finch are at the core of the series, an episode without either of them would be rather weird. But for others it's just fine to take a backseat now and then.

Hersh (it's Hersh, not Hirsch, right?) is way too lucky. First Reese sparing him, now Root (with some coercion from The Machine, admittedly). When will the guy take a hint and switch sides? Or finally run into Shaw and that will be the one encounter he won't survive.
Speaking of Root, Amy Acker was definitely a joy to behold. I had doubts about giving her character more to do this season, but there is an interesting scheme at play. So far she is obedient, doing everything The Machine commands. And our SI seems to have far-ranging plans. I just wonder whether Root stops being so devoted at some point and tries to grasp for more control again ("I guess you're the boss" didn't sound as assured to me). Or perhaps she will really make a step towards the good side.

This episode's PoI was fairly likeable, despite the unnecessary and unfortunate setup he had to go through. I figured that he wouldn't be the killer when they started trying to sell this point across a bit too hard (notice those lingering camera shots on the knife when Ian was with Carter in his apartment, for example).
I feel like the show tried to pose another question with regards to privacy - what is acceptable when looking for info on someone you are interested in and when trying to make an impression, and when do you cross that line that turns into creepy stalking. But the moment the word "stalker" began being thrown around there wasn't much of a discussion to be had, since the label stuck so much. And whatever intentions there were, they fumbled.

In any case, I'm happy with the season so far. Eagerly looking forward to more.

More+
Flag
Was it wrong to root for Root when Hirsch was coming for her? :)
(Reminded me of the asylum scene in Terminator 2--although this time the one with the stare was the escaping patient--especially Dr. Carmichael doing a great Dr. Silberman.)

"Even this guy?" Aw, gee, Hirsch, the Machine even has compassion on you.

Root and Heath Ledger's Joker would have had a really great conversation.
Flag
Did anyone notice Shaw's attempt at rowing at the very beginning of the episode? Yikes!!
Flag
Now that the Shaw was promoted to series regular, I would like to see her to have more screen time, she is very interesting, fun character and much more lively than John, I would dare to say even better than John at the moment (he became so boring since they introduced Shaw to the show) also Root more screen time, "good stuff" is happening when she is around :) as for the episode it was especially good when Shaw was around and Root of course.
Flag
Root and Shaw both add depth to the show that could make this season the best one yet!!
Flag
I also have to admit when I see Paige Turco's name in the opening credits, I get a little tingle. She is a delight to look at and her character Zoe never disappoints.

Amy Acker is fantastic as Root! She is sitting talking to her doctor and he's just condescendingly listening to her thinking that he's heard this delusional grandiosity before. Then the phone rings and all hell breaks loose, and then he realizes, holy crap, she wasn't kidding. Her escape was truly badass for sure.

It will be interesting to see why the machine let Hirsch live and I am really interested to find out who "m'am" is. We saw her sitting in the back of a car last season when the whole Kara Stanton thing blew up, but we couldn't see her face. I wouldn't be surprised if there a link between her and Finch.
Flag
I have that image burned in my brain of Paige standing there with her cute pink Taser in her hand - she is a very special actress, and so is sarah shahi.
Flag
If I had to guess "m'am" is probably Hillary Clinton
Flag
That would be interesting indeed.
Flag
I loved certain parts of this episode, but I thought some things could have been handled better. Specifically, I agree that the POI himself wasn't as engaging as he could have been, and some things felt a bit poorly handled, like with the stalking part of his story being dropped part way through.

However, I loved the actual investigating aspect of the case. The "girls night out" aspect wasn't one of the better "fun" stories they've done on the show, but it was a lot more entertaining than it could have been given the idea behind it. I loved the interactions between the characters, and was happy to see Zoe again, and to see Carter get a bigger role in an episode.

While on the subject of the girls, I do want to bring up the whole Shaw issue a lot of people have had these past few episodes. Honestly, I love Shaw's character, and that hasn't really changed much this season. She has had some great moments in all 3 episodes this season. But I also agree that the writers really need to work on balancing her character with the established characters a bit better. I think last episode handled the balancing the best so far, but I can't help wishing we'd see more action from Reese. I'm all for changing dynamics, if handled well, but I do think there is some ironing out to be done in order for Shaw's character to work as well as she could within POI's established cast of characters, and hopefully that starts happening soon.

But while we're on the subject of recurring characters that were bumped up to regulars this season, I've got to say, I love what they're doing with Root's character this season. They've flipped the role upside-down, having her working for the machine, while not losing the crazy badass side of the character we grew to love these past couple of seasons. And as others have said, I've been finding her story this season (especially in this episode) to be the most compelling aspect of the season so far. And now that she's out of the mental hospital, and free to do whatever the Machine wants her to do, I can only imagine her story becoming that much more exciting to watch.
More+
Flag
Well said. I love Shaw. She's a badass...absolutely adore her. I don't have a problem with her being on there at all. She's awesome. I just don't want it to be at the expense of the other characters. It can work if they balance it out properly, and while they are doing a good job, because honestly...I can rarely find anything that I dislike or can heavily criticize about this show, I think that is just something that they have to work on. Adding Shaw and Root as series regulars shouldn't have to be at the expense of Fusco, Finch, or even Reese. Just like Shaw being this kickass chick doesn't have to be at the expense of Reese still being badass. It's a common problem that comes up with any sort of writing...for whatever reason writers err in softening or "weakening" the male in order to make the female being a strong/independent sort of character that much more pronounced, and it doesn't have to be that way at all.
Flag
I enjoy Shaw just the way she is. What's wrong with a girl saving the day?
Flag
Nothing's wrong with it. I just wish it didn't come at the expense of the established characters, especially Reese. I mean, I do like when they shake up the dynamics a bit, and I was actually one of the people who loved Shaw's introductory episode, but that was just one episode. Now it just feels like they're struggling to try to find a way to fit everybody in, and since Shaw has a very similar role to Reese right now, he's the one that's getting hurt the most.
Flag
I really like the dynamics between the main cast in this show. For example, John and Zoe's fling has been obvious for a while, but personally I feel that it's great that the show hasn't made a big deal out of it. I really admire the writers for not taking the obvious oooh! we need romance, how 'bout Carter and John -route. I love the show in most of its aspects but this is one of my particular favourites, no unnecessary love drama.
Flag
best eps so far
i just feel that shaw is like a sister to john
Flag
i think i maybe the only 1 that doesnt like Root. Heres my reason. We had her since season 1 as the bad ass and season 2. Shouldnt we change the focus already? It makes it almost repetitive. Its not that i think shes a lousy actress but i would prefer the show to have a different arc. I would prefer a new villain.
Flag
What I don't understand is why no one seems to realize that Root isn't the villain anymore?! She listens to the machine right now, which means she is an ally. The villain this season is obviously the terrorist group that have an issue with having their privacy invaded (understandable, if you're a terrorist xD).
Flag
Eh, I don't think Root is villain or ally. She's a wild card. As long as she's 'listening' to the machine she's mostly an ally, but at some point she's going to ignore the machine's instructions and do what Root wants to do.
Flag
Who says she'll stop listening? That's too predictable for PoI. Either way, she is an ally right now, like I said.
Flag
See but that's the thing - mid season 1 she's just a hacker, end season 1 she's out to get the machine, begin season 2 she wants to set it free, end season 2 she gains access and then loses all connection with the machine which takes all hope out of her - until the call! And now begin season 3 she's a n instrument of the machine - she listens to its instructions - God alone knows where she goes from here - that's what is so awesome about Root - the fact that she's evolved and will keep evolving - and it can go ANYWHERE!
Flag
You’ve forgotten about the heinous deeds that Root has committed in seasons 1 and 2: She kidnapped Finch at gunpoint (Firewall) and threatened to shoot someone else if he tried to escape (Bad Code/The Contingency); poisoned Weeks’ mistress (Bad Code) and has killed Matheson (Root Cause), Alicia Corwin (Firewall), DMV employee Reynolds (The Contingency) and Denton Weeks (Bad Code). She also orchestrated the assassination of Congressman Delancey for profit and sent an assassin after Scott Powell, who she tried to frame for Delancey’s murder (Root Cause). That makes Root a villain in my mind. I’ve no doubt that Root has left a long trail of other victims to get what she wants. To quote Finch, Root is a “murderer and a thief" (The Contingency).

Flag
Tim - I don't understand why you talk about stalking Amy Acker? If the episode should have taught you anything, it should be that if you call it due dilligence, then girls like it. I mean even Carter went all googly-eyes at the creepy stalker, you know just before she left a child in the care of a man stalking women for the purpose of sleeping with them.

Loved the scene of the women bonding over weapons, priceless. Also I really liked that the show basically confirmed what we all knew: Zoe and Reese do have a relationship
Flag
wasn't that confirmed in that episode with the hotel lady, when Zoe whispered in Reese's ear and asked him to join her upstairs?
Flag
I really liked this episode and the fact that Reese took a backseat most of the time was a nice change up.
The case of the week itself was a step up from last week and i think it was due to the fact that the ladies took center stage. They are slowly but surely expanding the group dynamic, which can only help the shows longevity and stop it from becoming stale.
Once again Root was awesome
And Bear got a new collar

Other stuff..

So Root is assignment 3

The death and recruitment values can be attributed to Roots escape (the mass calamity probably refers to her using gas) but there are 2 redacted items -1 is on the far left and a bit blurry and another is in white at the bottom of the screen.
The one at the bottom turned into the agent trailing Root.
This and the fact that the machine didnt want her to kill him lends credence to a theory that the machine will be giving numbers to 3 teams - Finch, the government and Root

The subject location is the agent and has "Assignment (2)" tagged to it.

So i assume this
Assignment 1 is Reese and Finch which is straight forward
Assignment 2 is the government. This gets murky. Is the machine just give the government numbers like before (which we were led to believe) or is there something more. The red seems to signify a threat, which makes me wonder about this assignment
Assignment 3 is Root. With her computer ability - very similar to Finch's - will she be helping the machine on assignment 2. Possibly building a dummy machine to give to the government
More+
Flag
I agree, too many characters. As much as I LOVE Sarah Shahi (ever since "Life"!), I think she should be put in orbit as a recurring character, like Zoe. When you see Zoe appear on screen for the first time in an episode, you smile. Like seeing a friend who's been absent for a bit. But her presence would be diminished if she were a weekly fixture.
So it is for Sarah Shahi.
But if she wants to hang out with me, I'll keep her company until she's called up by Finch and crew.
...I'm just sayin'...
Flag
Nah, not too many. Give me more! POI handles its characters really, really well. At no point do I feel out of touch with or overhelmed by them.

I'll be the first to agree that Shaw doesn't have to be in every single episode (just like Fusco didn't have to be in this one), and that she should take the backseat now and then. But like Zoe? We don't see nearly enough Zoe, in my humble opinion. I certainly wouldn't mind if they doubled her presence.
Flag
It was a really good episode this week, my only complaint I wish we got another scene at the end with the POI and his son to really sell the emotional punch. I am a sucker for those really cheesy/heartwarming bits!
Flag
I seriously thought Carter's first name was Detective. I don't recall ever hearing anybody use her name. And was she actually sweet on Rodney? Does she not know what he did to that poor FBI agent when he was running with Joe Carroll's cult?
Flag
Every time Carter and Reese have a more serious, in depth, heart to heart, moment he calls her Joss. I believe Get Carter was the first time we actually learned what her first name was, and he called her Joss when he told her that she wasn't alone. He also called her Joss when he was assuring her that he would find her son. When she busted him out of jail, and if I'm not mistaken...when she was trying to diffuse the bomb vest he wore instead of letting him sacrifice himself. Same with Finch, he called her Joss when he was trying to rouse her after Kara caused Donnolly's truck to crash and she kidnapped John. I've come to learn that they'll say "Joss" anytime things are a bit more serious and intimate...for lack of a better word.
Flag
I recall hearing (and seeing) the name Jocelyn (or the more common "Joss") quite a few times in previous seasons. Perhaps it wasn't emphasized as much, but it's been there.
Flag
I feel like I'm the only person who loves the show week in and out. I see all these complaints yet I don't agree with any of them. Maybe I'm a blind fool. I like being a blind fool.
Flag
I appreciate your comment so much and sympathise with you! I have been myself more a "lover" than a "hater" all along and I am quite pleased with that. I don't have to rip a story apart to enjoy it - I just do enjoy it in the moment.

Some may call people like us "uncritical", but, hey, who cares? We are usually a lot happier in life than the censorious types, who have to be fault-finding just for the sake of arguing. Do not let your enjoyment getting spoiled!
Flag
I think, when you have a show and fans who are passionate about the show, they dissect all aspects of it. I don't see it as complaining so much as analyzing and picking things apart. Otherwise, what would we talk about? It isn't in a negative way, and it leads to a nice exchange of dialogue and discussion. I mean, if we all just posted how awesome we thought the show was, then what's left to discuss?

Just like I don't think, expressing your opinion on something or exploring why some things work and others don't, or noting how things can be improved upon, means that we're a bunch of people who want the show to stay the exact same. You aren't any less of a fan, and your love of the show and its fandom isn't and shouldn't be questioned because you're talking about the flaws of a show as well as its highlights. I believe the person below even admitted that it isn't flawless...I can't think of too many things that are flawless, so why be all "up in arms" about people who discuss the flaws along with everything else about the show?
Flag
I'm not trying to be "up in arms", sorry if it seemed that way :-) Sometimes all the negative comments irritate me (especially when there are no positive comments at all). I think I did a better job explaining what I felt in a different reply.
Flag
Some people like to be up in arms about little nothings or extremely minor things. Because, you know, there is no sense of fulfillment to be had unless they've actually picked on something in an episode. I guess the most conservative crowd would be happy with just Reese & Finch doing the same stuff for 10 seasons in and out.

So no, you are not the only one. I love this show unconditionally, I love how it's constantly growing and I love that it's not afraid to go all these new directions. I can't recall a single episode that I didn't really like (which is not to say they were all flawless). I hope they don't stop any time soon. Blind fools all the way!
Flag
i rarely find complaints about the shows i like, i may like some episodes more than others, but i want to see them all. When i do comment on something, it is usually because someone else mentioned it first. I try not to look too deeply into tv/movies or any kind of entertainment, if you do, you can get bogged down by little things and stop enjoying the whole picture. i want to be entertained and this show does that, and that is good enough for me.
Flag
I'm not aiming shots at anyone, I just read the comments here and I see "Shaw is terrible", "So many plot holes", "Reese isn't scary anymore", "Reese is dumb now".
I like Shaw (I actually LOVE Shaw, but that's creepy), I never notice the plot holes until someone points it out to me, and even then its something so inconsequential that I don't really understand what the fuss is about. The other stuff I don't agree with either, but all the negative comments sometimes annoy me.
Flag
Shaw showing off her Nano and her Angler profile was hilarious. I need to make an Angler profile. Oh and Root was another level of badass!!
Flag
To just sum it all... You gotta <3 root !
Flag

I liked the episode but more for the personal revelations than anything else. I loved parts of the episode but overall I'd probably give it a 7.5/100 (which is about as low as I go for PoI – I’m sure there’s a 7/10 or two somewhere if I could be bothered to remember all the episodes atm).

The number was pretty uninspiring - while the chameleon hook was interesting they closed it really quickly and left it unexplored. He was basically just being an uber-googler before his dates though his OCD files on them were creepy. And what about the missing girl? Granted, she was missing from NY and foul play would/should have been picked up by the Machine when it happened so maybe she was just a runaway – but it’s never mentioned again (that I remember). And the switch in perspective to Ian being the victim was very jarring. What happened to the rich old guy? And is it supposed to be good for the boy to have a random stranger show up and tell him “Your parents aren’t your real parents. Your mom is dead and I’m your dad! Your (probably) beloved grandpa tried to have me killed and so is out of your life now, but hey! Let’s be friends!” Gag. I felt no empathy at all.

I dislike the recent trend of bringing the # to a safe house and having them help solve the crime =/ -they’re gone as soon as the credits roll, who cares about them? They should save the focus on the # for episodes where they're really intriguing or have a possibility of returning. I think the writers are still having spasms on what to do w/ everyone now that the cast is so large. Sticking them in a large room gives everyone screen time all at once =P I suppose it’s nice for JC and ME – they get paid the same and get more time off. Season 1 had to be exhausting for them and I can’t imagine that would have been sustainable through 5+ seasons regardless of how awesome it was. Still, I hope they balance this soon.

Outside the number the interactions between regular characters was more interesting. Zoe and John appear to be a ‘thing’. They implied it right off the bat w/ Zoe greeting Shaw with “I heard you ....” – hmmmm, so John tells her things about his work. And then the adorable pink stun gun – a personal weapon is a great way for him to show concern, lol. Of course, the teasing from Shaw just seemed to cement it and Reese walking her home reinforced the regularity of it. A blatant statement in the PoI world of misdirection and obfuscation. Of course, if a romance has to happen on PoI this is the way that I want it to be: subtle, normal and reference occasionally like it’s no big deal but rarely highlighted.

I do like how they’re expanding Carter’s character. She’s out of the station house and expanding her comfort zone. Yeah! While I understand that Root is moving a plot point forward and Shaw needs to be integrated, I’m really hoping this is Carter’s year. I liked how she had a something in common w/ both Zoe and Shaw: shoes and guns. Yeah baby, Carter is both =D

Fusco was there but didn’t have much to do. Missed him =[

For that matter, Reese didn’t have much to do, either =[ =[ =[ And hasn’t so far this season /bigcry. Of course, w/ an expanding cast, I guess he can’t be the star of everything but I love him and can’t wait for some more kick ass Reese scenes. Really, he needs to be the uberest of them all. I’ve especially the odd couple interactions he and Finch had.

Loved the advertised scene w/ the ladies. Yes, it was a wee bit staged. But it was funny and cute and they didn’t drag it out (thankfully). Loved how Carter was familiar w/ Zoe’s designer shoes and Shaw’s designer gun. And Shaw even had a peek of personality when she showed off her handgun (nano?) to Carter. And since I love Zoe Morgan and the sparks between her and John, I adored the pink stun gun she casually waved around. Interestingly, Shaw wasn’t at all hostile or aggressive w/ the other ladies so maybe it’s not her personality … she’s a man hater for some reason? I hope not. That’s an old and tired stereo type.

Liked the great escape of Root a lot. While her monologues are not as interesting to me they are very well done. I think she’s at her best when she’s on the move for a mission and by the end that’s what we got. And I love watching her conversations with the Machine.

Lastly, I thought it foolish of Finch to go check on Root all by himself. He should have taken Reese - actually he should have sent Reese AND Shaw and stayed the hell away but he seems drawn to Root. And why they hell didn’t he run like the wind once he say Hersch all laid out? O.O blah.

Can’t wait for next week! (Although, I’ll be honest, I have no idea what it’s about. Maybe they’re disguising a game changing big secret? I hope so.).

More+
Flag
I've refrained from chiming in on the Shaw debate but I have to say I really didn't like the way she outed John and Zoe. There was yet some mystery there for us fans as to what those two made of all the sizzle between them, only to have the whole issue handled with such an uncharacteristic lack of POI grace, I was irked. For a female who refuses to carry a mobile phone she seems to have some serious boundary issues when it comes to everyone else. I also don't really like that she's absconded with Bear; I really enjoyed the dynamic between Finch and Bear.

The whole Ian serial dater thing was really creepy and off-putting.

The scene where Finch is asking the ladies to download the dating app to their mobiles totally made me think, "Harold's Angels."

I've been pretty uninvested in the Root storyline but I have to say that her shootout scene was seriously badass. She has so much faith in the machine, I don't even think she experienced an adrenaline spike during the entire ordeal. I can't begin to imagine where this is going but I'm beginning to feel more appreciative of the arc.
More+
Flag
Why is the mysterious Mr. Finch suddenly showing himself to everyone whose number pops up? It seriously erodes the persona created for him in the first two seasons. And the "safe house" seems to be as busy as the cafeteria in TBBT. Everyone seems to be the Cliff Notes version of themselves in S3. Carter only seemed mildly interested in the fact that the creepy guy kidnapped a child from the only family he had ever known. And Reese is still second fiddle to Scrappy Doo--who started out as a Cliff Notes version of a female operative, so she is the only one whose character has not been compromised.
Flag
I've been wondering about that too! LOL!
Flag
"Why is the mysterious Mr. Finch suddenly showing himself to everyone whose number pops up? It seriously erodes the persona created for him in the first two seasons. And the "safe house" seems to be as busy as the cafeteria in TBBT."

My point exactly.
Flag
Surprise surprise Finch will show his face to the POI next week as well. I hope this stops soon unless its neccassary.
Flag
This was definitely my favorite episode this season, so far. I actually liked the story, Carter got to be front and center, which is always a plus. Also, the POI was really attractive.... just me?

Shaw, surprisingly, didn't annoy me. I actually laughed at a few things she said.

I was sooo happy to see Zoe again, she was certainly missed.

Root escaping from the hospital was awesome!! Although, I will miss her interactions with the doctor.

"You're welcome." Definitely my favorite line of the episode.

Need more Fusco!!! I want to see more of my favorite character. :(

Flag
The root stuff was great. The rest was watchable, but nothing special.
Flag
I loved this episode! whenever Paige Turco (Zoe) makes an appearance it raises the entertainment value by a quotient of 10! Amy Acker owns every scene she's in. She was born to play Root, and is a legitimate bad ass! I like Sarah Shahi's character (Shaw), but I think they are trying too hard to convince us that she's someone not to be messed with. I preferred her when she was more mysterious and in the background. I would have liked to see her utilized in the same way that Zoe is....occasionally, when necessary. But, overall, this episode gets my vote as the best one this season, thus far.
Flag
Root is simply: to die for! (Literally!)
Flag
Very good episode overall, I found it very entertaining from beginning to end, although Ian's story didn't quite make a lot of sense. I do think it was an excuse to bring all the ladies to the episode. And honestly, to reassure people like me that were upset about Carter being sent to a corner. They even made the predator choose her over the other two (I did notice, POI, I did notice).

So glad that Root is back, and in an awesome way!

Flag
There were so many plot holes in this episode -- again! I remember when POI was the smartest show on TV. You know, back in S1, when the writers didn't expect the fans to just hand-wave everything. Now it's like they aren't even trying. If it looks good, it doesn't matter if it makes sense.

For starters -- Root knocks everyone out, then takes a loaded gun off a fallen guard in the hallway. No credible mental health institution allows armed guards on an open ward with psych patients. Either the patients are locked up safely or the guys with the guns are. Did Finch check this place out at all before he sent her there?

There were things like that throughout the episode. Controlling Dad lets his thoroughly cowed daughter put the true name of her baby's father on the birth certificate, instead of leaving it as "unknown"? Professional hit men don't wait until the witness leaves before they move on their target? Finch uses Carter's real name and job on a posting to lure a known stalker and suspected serial killer? (Because every serial killer really really wants to date a cop, right?)

Whatever they're doing in the writer's room that they weren't doing before, or whatever they were doing before that they're not doing now, they need to fix it pronto!
More+
Flag
How do you know that part when we found her was your typical open ward with unlocked patients roaming the hallways? Were there any obvious "in your face" signs that I've missed? Because I've had a look at the unconscious people on the ground, and they were strangely dressed as guards, staff, potential visitors who had business there, etc. Plus, it was already night time (past 10 pm). Perhaps Finch did indeed check this place beforehand and made sure it wasn't as simple to slip away from there.

And what on earth made you think the guys coming after Ian were in any way "professional"? Because they sure seemed like the most common amateurish thugs one could find, both when it comes to picking the place for the scene of murder and that witness thing you mention. Perhaps it's not as simple to come across proper hit men as you would assume. Or perhaps picking the lowest kind of scum was exactly the intent, do I really have to explain why?

Moving on. Why wouldn't Finch use Carter's real name and job? As a police officer she happens to be a public figure, not exactly hidden in any database I would think. A guy who does his dilligent research would likely find that out, sooner or later. Using as many real details as possible is the way to go when creating a cover, have you learned nothing from Finch in the first season that you so praise?
And do you pretend to know the inner workings of every serial killer? Why, is it so unimaginable that there could be some who aren't exactly afraid of police officers, especially the women? Sure, it's a higher risk target, but for a confident guy who likes extra adrenaline it could be only a plus. Finch took a gamble by doing so, yes, but he also had two other potential baits. Where is that supposed plot hole, again?

I'll grant you the birth certificate, that part was definitely very odd after everything we'd found out about Wellington. A man like that simply wouldn't allow this.
But I'm afraid that's all I could grant you. One plot hole. Try as I can, I just can't see the numerous ones you mention. In my mind POI is still the smartest show out there, and the writers are very much trying. See it for what it still is, as you apparently used to?
More +
Flag
Hold on a sec. Lindao is that you?
Flag
Did feel the 1st 2 were odd but the last one not really.
Narcissistic sociopaths would luuv to date/kill a cop. Feeds into the I'm-unstoppable part of their personality.
Flag
Yano, I like Sarah Shahi a lot, but Amy Acker managed in two minutes of screen time what Sarah has failed to achieve in seven episodes: portray a convincing female badass.
Flag
Amy Acker is a badass. Period.
I dunno if you've noticed but she surpasses John as well.
Flag
By far, Mia! John has lost his edge. He's pretty much a big ol' fluffy kitty these days. Sad.
Flag
But even at the height of his badass-ness, the most he did was wield large/illegal firearms, shoot at kneecaps & destroy some SUV's.
I'm pretty sure that knocking out an entire psych ward & that backward shot put John-at-his-best waay behind.
Flag
John had a backwards shot when he shot a fellow in Season 1, telling his friend to take him to the hospital.
Flag
More Zoe!!.. with her pink teaser, a gift from John!..Awww!!
I am behind this "couple"!. Shaw can be the baby sister and Carter the sister.
With all these "i wish they did change/add shaw n Root comments/it feels off", I feel like we should give the show a chance to iron out the kinkies introduced by the addition of 2 regular casts. We are only 3 episodes in (out of over 20!), there are more players/games at hand now. They had to expand the POI universe and with the expansion, dynamics change, "feels" falter.. Give it time guys .(4/6 episodes test, anyone??)
Flag
The only thing "working" this season is Root's storyline. John is an adjunct to Shaw (he's the spotter; she's the shooter), Carter only still chasing after the messes are made (except briefly in Ep 03), Shaw has absconded with the new, milk-toast Bear (did they feed him and Reese the same Bland-O cereal for breakfast?), and Fusco is being under-used, as usual. We get about 5 minutes of the Root story, a minute or two of Hersh (where is Control?), too much Shaw (is John too tired to help out? is Mr. C?). There was a 1-minute hint of another deadly organization out there in Ep 02; now we wait till the Writers Room deigns to share another thread in that weave.

They had something going that really worked in Season 1, nearly as well in Season 2, and now they've completely shaken the blanket that held the picnic that was POI and aren't making much effort to give us what worked, and the new stuff isn't.

Ratings through 3 weeks are down by 20%, and the complaints/comments show that it's not just me and a few others. So, IF anyone reads, and cares, maybe by midseason (episode 9?) they'll MAYBE modify things a bit. Or this could be a show that doesn't make it to graduation (4th year).
More +
Flag
Hm, I think everyone here likes Root. <

It's Shaw the one that I have a problem with. Mostly Sarah Shahi's inadequate acting. In the first 2 episodes she just looked bored and sad or miserable the entire time. And in this episode John says that she looks "angry all the time". So, I kind of get it now. She was supposed to look angry but she doesn't. + Shaw has no personality whatsoever. The writers simply have her John's personality and they made her butch. Which I find off-puting, since Sarah is so damn beautiful.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
So, okay, I’ll try to start with a positive statement this week: this episode was better than the last one.

I love Zoe, so I enjoyed every second of her and I love all those little bits of information they give us about her and John together (the pink taser scene was adorable) and that their romance (if we can even address that as romance) is as subtle as it needs to be.
POI is not a show about romance and I hope this aspect will stay crystal clear till the end.

POI also used to be classy, humorous, consistent and engaging. I think we still have some engaging moments thanks to Root, bless her and Amy Acker, who’s getting better and better by each episode. But I’m afraid that’s pretty much that, no sign of class, consistency, wit and depth.

I haven’t cared about any of this Season 3 irrelevants. Nothing, nada, they could have disappeared from the screen and I would have barely noticed it. I used to sympathize with them, despise them, get annoyed. I’m still waiting to feel something about one of them. Maybe next week?

Then they keep making Shaw a ridiculous character and no, she absolutely isn’t the dancing type. She wants to row the boat, she wants to shoot someone, she’s won Bear affection and she monopolize him. I swear, I don’t know what to say about her anymore. Moreover they’ve apparently decided that she looks good with a rifle so there MUST be a roof scene and the opportunity to play happy sniper in every frigging episode.

They keep telling us she’s a badass, I, in my very humble opinion, think the real badass is Root. She doesn’t brag, she ACTS and she’s scary.

And I wish I could say the real badass is Reese, but I guess he’s too busy playing the domesticated puppy and throwing the most predicted punches in TV history. I reckon he’s able to use one of those rifles himself and I reckon he did in “Foe”, such a great episode of Season 1, which was intense, engaging and well developed.

Ouch, I guess I’m bitter again and I haven’t even touched the sorer subject: Finch.

What the heck is wrong with his character? No, seriously, is he suffering from brain damage and nobody warned us? Because I thought he was one of the smartest guys on TV and then:

1) He’s appallingly careless with the irrelevant of the week (AGAIN!!!), who of course sneaks out on him and does a stupid thing;

2) Then he goes BY HIMSELF to the mental asylum, not even with Bear (ah, no, sorry, Bear had to be with Shaw to make her look cool and whatever, who cares, he doesn’t protect him anymore so why bother?).
Then what? Let me think… Let’s make a panicked call to John, there’s no problem at all, there’s only Hersh lying on the ground in front of you, why should you escape at all as fast as you can from one of the most dangerous men among those who want to kill you?

I’m baffled.
I’ll conclude with two questions: where’s Fusco? Where are flashbacks?
More+
Flag
I think you are being way too analytical in your assessment of the show.

Yes, I still hate Shaw too (lol), but I guess I have to come to terms that she's not going anywhere so I must suffer through her scenes anyway.

As for Finch, his carelessness in the last two episodes does not equal stupitidy. Also, why does he have to take Bear everywhere he goes? Is there a rule or something?
Flag
Shaw is here to stay. But the viewers are not. That is the point.
Flag
You're right, I was way too harsh and analytical in my comment, and usually I’m not that negative, but I'm still trying to adjust my expectations. Unfortunately POI has gone from giving me every single detail I'd love to see on a TV show (twisted plot, intensity, humor, blood, angst, great characters attitude and interactions, good soundtrack etc… ) to annoy and disappoint me repeatedly.

And I know I shouldn’t be so emotionally involved but really, it’s a pity to see a show lose quality this fast. I do get, I really do, that they’d like to charm a bigger audience, but I think they’re trying too hard. And there’s one thing I know, that is valid in life as much as in TV shows: quality matters, everyone’s tastes are different but, at the same time, most people can recognize if something has quality or not. So you can say “I don’t like it, but it’s really well done”. When you can’t say even that anymore, that’s when I start to worry.

And about Bear I agree with Oldlse’s comment below: Bear was a gift from John to protect Harold and Harold only, every time John couldn’t do so himself. That’s why I expect they make good use of it, especially after such a recent mishap to Harold (during last week episode).

Anyway, my hope is that such negative things won’t pop into my head anymore because the show has improved, because I don’t write them lightly, not at all. Fingers crossed, always.
More +
Flag
Actually,I always got the impression that one of the reasons John brought the dog home was not only to rescue him, but to protect Harold when John couldn't be there to protect him himself. Kind of a canine version of John.
Flag
I've been thinking and I'm not sure but other than a love interest who probably won't die on her for Carter, I wonder if Ian would serve any use to the team? I mean, Reese was not a fan at all, but he didn't like Fusco to start with either.

I worried initially too that Shaw was going to steal Bear, but then I thought about what the show is doing. I think they anticipated our issues with the dynamic and want us to see how Shaw needs our boys probably more than Reese needed Finch. So lets show that she has a soft spot for something we all have one for in Bear. And honestly, her interaction to me actually kind of made me feel a little sad for her. I am thinking sometime soon the boys and Carter are going to be proving to be very protective older siblings to her when something from her past comes up that she can't fight against. They all need to really be super team together for when Root comes calling, especially if Hirsh is right on her heels.
Flag
In season 1 they made us wait 17 episodes (or 24 calendar weeks) to learn what happened to Andrew Benton; then patience and trust in the flow of the show was rewarded, mightily. If they keep disappointing with most of each episode this season, I may no longer care why they did what they did at the beginning of this show year, joining the 3 million viewers who have already left the show. Sad.
Flag
He owns pieces of various companies & date/stalks women. How is that useful to them?
Also, I don't think Root is meant to be a villain per se. She's supposed to team up with Shaw eventually right. I'm guessing that's against Hirsch.
Flag
I can fathom why the viewers may have felt the POI case was poorly concluded, but I don't think Ian was intentionally behaving as an eldritch stalker type. My interpretation is that because he was so emotionally damaged after being forced to leave Dana (compounded by her alleged abortion and even further upon her death), he couldn't sustain any form of a romantic relationship, and therefore, created one facade after another as an escape from his true self, or in an attempt to re-create the love he and Dana once shared with each other. I agree that it was slightly rushed as the viewer is left to guess how Dana died, but it was nonetheless a tragic case with a heartwarming ending, so I was content enough with that.

Root once again stole the show, and now that she has successfully freed herself from captivity within the asylum, she is officially the Joker to Reese and Finch's Batman. Root conversing alone with The Machine was nothing short of mesmerizing, but her "warning" scene to the doctor and subsequent absconding was perhaps one of the best sequences of the whole series. The sheer complexity of Amy Acker's performance in that situation was thoroughly fascinating, containing the right amount of brevity to retain the climatic aspect without feeling rushed, either.

I enjoyed the scenes with the three ladies, especially the humorous gossiping over their individual fashion choices and accessories. Emerson's facial expressions were downright flawless during that exchange. Surprisingly, Shaw was a much better fit during this episode as opposed to the previous two, where her moments felt shoehorned in at the expense of screen-time for Reese and Fusco. Still, it's quite evident that Reese's role has been significantly reduced since the permanent addition of Shaw, but I'm going to trust in Nolan and Plageman and see how this alteration in the group's dynamics progresses throughout the season.

I think the best thing the writers can do with/for Shaw at the moment is to greater emphasize her jocose and deadpan responses in order to strike a more comedic tone, which could then fulfill the purpose of "softening" her image (so she doesn't remain a one-dimensional, stiff killing machine, arguably the main criticism of her presence within the group). Also, the "Irrelevants" (POI fans) absolutely adore Bear, so the more Bear is featured--even with Shaw--it can make everyone a little happier.

So, going forward with the "Root Is Machine's Enforcer" narrative, I imagine the comprehensive elements of the series will gradually pickup over the next few weeks, as retrospectively recollecting, the Elias and HR storylines didn't truly begin to ascend until the seventh and fifth episodes of their respective seasons. Personally, I'm going to savor the episodes where the group operates collectively, as once the Root and HR subplots branch-out, the team will likely separate for a bit while only occasionally cooperating.
More+
Flag
Dana's death probably wasn't explored coz it was just that. A tragic car accident.

But yes, Amy Acker totally steals the show. Seen her in Joss Whedon's Much Ado? She's meant for waay more than villain-of-the-season.
Flag
You're probably correct on that.

Yes! And she was amazing in that, too. <3
Flag
The last 5 minutes of the episode were worth watching the whole thing (which was kind of uneven up to that point)
Flag
Omg! I soooo have a girl crush on Root! I can't believe how awesome they've built up her character - what a change from the end of season 1 to now! Wow!

And the girls were just awesome! The victim/perp angle was alright (reminded me of a 80s bollywood movie - does anybody even think like that anymore???)

The real highlight was Root and her relationship with "God" - a modern day Joan of Arc! #ftw

What an episode! Can't wait for the next. ...
Flag
Re: girl crush on Root

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing. Enough said :)
Flag
K need to see that. ... :)
Flag
I personally believe that Warren Kole's character should never leave because I love that man and his character was great.
Flag
Hope your review isn't as patronizing after you watch the episode, Tim. We all know the women of POI are very efficient and awesome. You should know better by now. This was a great episode.

I cannot stress the brilliance of Amy Acker enough who portrays Root with such devilish glee and gravitas in equal measure. She raises my heartbeat everytime she's onscreen and is the true MVP of the show. And I'm falling in love with the hilarious and badass Shaw more and more after each episode. Reese and her make a fantastic working team.
Flag
Houston, we have a problem! ROFL!

It was a bit uneven but I liked it!
Girls did a great job LOL!
Balance is still off but I think we are getting there! Although at some point it felt a bit like Charlie's Angels and it really rubbed me the wrong way... but: no they are all freelances and on their own conditions ;-P

Root was deliciously creepy as usual...
Flag
So did they ever explain away the missing girl's poster in the poi's apartment? I find it hard to believe that John would forget about that. Did I miss something?

Also, could Jim Caviezel and Kevin Chapman have been working on other projects at the time these were shot? It doesn't make much sense to me that they would reduce Reese's and Fusco's roles because they want it that way.
I'm trusting Nolan enough to believe that there's a good reason.
Flag
Possibly. I know I saw Caviezel in the Escape Plan ads, and IMDB confirms that along with 3 other movies in 2013/2014. Chapman shows 2 movies. As far as we know, lessening their time so they could take movie roles might have been a condition to keep them around. I know I read off-and-on how actors say doing full-time 22 episode schedules keeps them from taking movie roles if they want to (part of why the cable shows have gotten popular for certain actors, less episodes).

Flag
Escape Plan was filmed in the POI summer break more than a year ago, the football movie was filmed right after POI wrapped in the spring this year and Savannah was filmed years ago and just got a very limited release before going to video.
Flag
Savannah was filmed the spring b4 JC went to NYC to film the pilot in 2011
Flag
That would be years ago--two and a half before it's limited release. I think the poster was saying that Jim is working on other projects during the filming schedule for POI, which is not standard procedure for tv contracts. Outside projects are done in the spring or summer unless the actor manages to pull off an act of God with TPTB.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members