Person of Interest S03E09: "The Crossing"

Pardon my language, but how the fuck am I supposed to review that? I mean, how do I do it justice? Seriously, I bow down before this show. What an episode! 

Joss Carter is dead. And even though we were all expecting a major character to die in "The Crossing," it was still a total shock. She died in the very last seconds of the episode, in Reese's arms, after Simmons got her right in the chest. She died after getting re-promoted to detective. She died after taking down 98 percent of HR and a bunch of street scrum in the process. A hero did indeed fall.

I'm too in awe of the moon-sized balls on Person of Interest to be sad about anything, though. My emotions after watching "The Crossing" go like this, in order:

• Amazed
  • Impressed
  • Shocked
  • Sad

Sad all the way down in fourth place! I mean sure, I love Joss and Taraji, especially this season. But when you look at how much better Person of Interest is from her death, it's immeasurable. Ironically, it's through death that the show has so much vitality. Person of Interest was always a little different and wily from the rest of network television, but now It's entirely unpredictable. And because we gobble up shows like french fries we think we're accustomed to the way television works. It's mold-breaking episodes like "The Crossing" that keep me excited about television and the new style of storytelling that several shows are adopting. But events like this are usually reserved for cable. Killing a major character in the middle of the season just doesn't happen on network television, and this never happens on CBS without it being part of an actor's contract dispute or an actor ready to move on to bigger and better things. This is why we all watch Person of Interest.

That said, halfway through the episode I totally called Joss dying! But if I'm being honest, throughout "The Crossing" I also legitimately thought every single main character was going to die so I couldn't be wrong, I just couldn't be entirely right. I actually thought to myself, "Well if Finch dies, they could use Root as their connection to The Machine. I mean all he does is tap on the keyboard. But hey! Reese could die too, and then Finch could pick up another cronie like Root hinted at." These thoughts actually went through my mind! But that's part of the mastery of the episode. Even though I knew the writers were intentionally showering us with misdirections, I gladly fell for each and every one of them. That was all part of the fun.

And admit it, even though one of our favorites kicked it, this episode was fun. You loved looking through your fingers and feeling your heart pounding at the relentless pace of the episode as Reese, Carter, and Fusco ran into obstacle after obstacle. You loved knowing that someone was going to die but not knowing who it was. You loved that double-edged feeling of relief and fear when Fusco, who was the most likely target of the Grim Reaper and the subject of doom in promotional material for "The Crossing," broke his thumb and then his bonds to escape death, only to leave you wondering, "OH GOD IF IT'S NOT HIM THEN WHO IS IT?" I had an uneasy feeling for the entire hour and loved every turn and tightening in my tummy. As well as Person of Interest serves character, and I love every single character in this show, it serves its audience even more. It looks out for our interests more than anything else. Jonah Nolan and Greg Plageman are making the show they think we want to see, and that's awfully kind of them. It's their ability to see the series from our side of the screen that makes it so great. They're doing this for us. We should all chip in for a gift basket of scented oils and bath soaps. 

Some of you will be mad that Person of Interest killed off Carter, and that's okay. In fact, having those feelings shows that you are a healthy human being and you don't need to go to the doctor. If you weren't slightly upset about her death, then you need to go to the emotion store and say, "I'll have one of everything!" I just hope you see that Carter's death is GREAT for the long run of this show. And it looks like it will pay off immediately, too. Remember, this is only part two of a three-episode arc. Did you see the promo for next week? Holy macaroni, take a look!

YES! YES! YES! When have we ever seen Reese look like that? Something tells me he'll be aiming slightly higher than the leg when he goes shooting up the remaining pieces of HR in "The Devil's Share."

Just as shocking as Carter's death was her kiss with Reese. Several of you have already said this and I agree with you: It was a strong indicator that she wasn't going to make it. Reese can't have no girlfriend! That was like the kiss of death for Carter. But I didn't see it as a romantic kiss, I saw it more as a "Thanks babe, here's your prize!" kiss for being the one to set him on the right path. It was almost like a kiss from God or from Jesus, a blessing to the one who saved him. It was a remarkably sweet gesture, without feeling like it meant much more than that. Imagine if Carter lived and they pursued a romantic relationship! No thanks! Maybe it's good Carter's dead, because I would not be able to watch a single episode of Reese making Carter an omelet in the morning. 

I did have one problem with the episode, though. Of course I had a problem, otherwise I wouldn't be picky me. It was with the actual murder of Carter. Simmons just popped out of the shadows and said, "Time's up, I told you I'd end you!" Then he fired off a few shots that caught John, and ultimately fatally struck Carter. That was a bit cheap horror movie style, wasn't it? The old "Everything is going to be okay!" and then KABLAMMO "Oh no it's isn't!" It didn't feel like the most graceful way to send off Carter. That's it. That's the only negative thing I have to say about the episode. 

I don't think "The Crossing" was the best episode of Person of Interest, but it belongs up in that top shelf that make this one of the best network television shows out there and more proof that it's willing to buck the trends of its more traditional neighbors on CBS. I'll probably feel the sadness of Joss' loss with her presence noticeable missing from upcoming episodes, but for now, I'm going to ride the high of a show that continues to amaze, impress, and shock me.

NOTES OF INTEREST

– I don't want to explicitly say that Carter was the right person to kill off in this episode, but I totally understand it. She had become so linked to HR that once that case was wrapped up, she'd have to be completely reset. Plus, there was some redundancy between her and Fusco, with both of them being cops. And it pains me to say it, but the promotions of Amy Acker and Sarah Shahi probably didn't help Carter's chances, either. 

– Fusco to Shaw: "You know the dog is the only one who likes you, right?" Their mini-arc of friendship was fantastic. Shaw telling Fusco that she had to make a choice to save him or his son was heartbreaking. Our little robot is really starting to show some emotion. 

– So how many guys did Finch go through before Reese, as Root implied? Finch seemed shaken by that comment. Is there truth to that? Should that change how we feel about Finch, or is that just part of his business? He's got Reese now, and that's what counts. Maybe some of Finch's old partners are out there somewhere, and maybe they have a sour relationship that will come back to haunt Finch. I'd be okay with that. 

– I REALLY thought that Finch was going to be forced to release Root in order to have her talk to the Machine to find Reese. But he didn't let her go. That showed a lot of character on his part. And it showed how important he feels it is to keep her locked up. 

– Simmons has really elevated himself up to tier-one bad-guy status in the last few episodes. He's always been around as the link to HR higher ups, but in the last episode and this episode, he was downright nasty. His little fortune cookie monologue to Fusco was chilling. I will savor every scream of pain that dribbles out of his mouth as Reese tears him to shreds. 

– Fusco was a bulldog in that chair. I haven't seen anyone hold up that well under torture since Constable Bob in last season of Justified.

– Did we know that Reese was going to kill himself or was that new information?

– What kind of woman takes a microwaved pizza pocket out of a guy's hand and replaces it with a live grenade?! That may be the meanest thing Shaw has ever done. I don't know what the point of that scene was with regard to the overall story, but it will still entertaining. 

– This interview with Jonah Nolan and Greg Plageman at Entertainment Weekly is worth a read.

– I know that the writers and producers of Person of Interest sometimes read reviews online, and if they should happen to come across my humble ramblings, I just want to let them know that they made the right choice. It wasn't an easy choice, but it was the right one. Keep it up, guys and gals. Just leave Bear alone.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/21/2016

Season 5 : Episode 13

641 Comments
Comments (641)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I so agree with the last sentence of this review.
Flag
I didn't understand the last scene. Why John seemed immune to shoots, even when they impacted in him? Shouldn't Carter be wearing a bulletproof vest? I understand the decision to kill Carter, and doing it in a cute holding hands sequence, but this was quite ridiculous, specially with Finch inclussion. If Simmons would have tracked them (only Carter and Reese) and directly hurting Carter before Reese could react it would have felt better than this (and I really think Simmons should have gone for her, not him)
Flag
Was anybody really surprised? The moment it started tying up all her loose ends into little bows--giving someone the key for the evidence, bringing down Quinn and HR, revealing someone stable to look after her son in any potential absence---I knew she was no longer for this world. I think it would have been more shocking had they had the episode dotted with Reese flashbacks to his life before everything, even the CIA, given it was his number that was up, it would have made for a much shocking moment. Given that, and the fact they made Reese/Carter almost semi-romantic on nothing but a whim, it didn't quite pack the shocking and emotional sting that they were hoping for. In my humble opinion of course.
Flag
That being said, it was still an incredible episode that I enjoyed greatly. And I can. not. wait to see Reese's revenge in motion.
Flag

Flag
Hulk Smash!
Flag
I'm just relieved it wasn't bear who was sacrificed.. You wouldn't expect a major character to die mid-way of a season.. I had was already preparing to say goodbye to bear (yes, that meant hugging my own dog and watching the second half of this episode).
On another note, Carter's death makes this Season the most exciting and I'm looking forward to the next few episodes..
Flag
Simmons is going to die. And not with a shot to the head or anything...Reese is going to make him REALLY suffer. And he seems like a guy who knows how to do it.
Flag
I have never felt that bad after watching any t.v series episodes like that episode "The Crossing". Still cant believe it.
Flag
One of the best episode but We will miss Carter :'(
Flag
It's been days. And I'm still hurting. There is not enough wine to dull this pain. Hopefully John will bring me some closure this week.
Flag
I put off watching this episode to the last minute as I got spoiled early in the week and knew Carter was going to die. (I hate spoilers sooo much). I finally decided to watch it with a bottle of wine and I did wonder if the spoiler had been a lie right up until Fusco busted out his best Hulk impression , then I realised Carter was a gonna despite all the misdirection that followed.

I am totally butt hurt. Tim's review is all upbeat and stuff and I see his point but man, it hurts. The upside was the kiss regardless of whether it's romantic or not; acknowledging their friendship was overdue. And seeing Reese cry over her death got me stoked for some major payback.
Flag
I came into the episode not knowing that anyone would die because I had to catch up on POI - I had only seen the first two episodes of the season so it was seven in a row for me. But by the end of episode 8 I had a feeling that Carter would die. I mean she went totally of the reservation when she was hunting HR.
And if I had to choose which one of the 4 characters, Reese, Finch, Carter or Fusco, I'd miss the least it would have to be Carter. So as much as I'll miss her I'm still so happy that they didn't kill Fusco as he is one of my favorites on this show. I adore him so I was crying when he said goodbye to his son and thinking: No they can't kill him. And then I was so relieved when Shaw saved his son and Fusco saved himself :-)
But wow what an episode. I can't wait to see Reese go beserk in the next episode.
Flag
First, great review. Second, I am actually a little glad they kept Fusco and killed Joss. It wasn't that her character was bad, it was very, very good. It was her acting that I felt brought down nearly every scene she was in. I hope she moves on to other shows, just not ones I watch. Third, I hope they do not replace her character. The team is strong enough without another addition.

Finally, this isn't the only show on CBS to kill off a major character. NCIS killed Kate -- a beloved character -- at the very end of season one. Kate was fantastic and I seriously was shocked at her death. Her replacement, however, was equally great. And Ziva's replacement is already likeable and testifies to that show's ability to cast characters.
Flag
This episode was amazing! Fantastic review as well.

My only nit picky negative comment was also the same as yours, Carter getting shot at the end was sort of out the blue, horror movie style.

I also agree that Carter's death will serve the series more than if they had kept her. Back in the beginning it was just Finch and Reese, but now with the addition of a handful of characters the canvas felt a bit too busy.

Person of Interest you definitely keep me guessing!
Flag
– I don't want to explicitly say that Carter was the right person to kill off in this episode, but I totally understand it. She had become so linked to HR that once that case was wrapped up, she'd have to be completely reset.

I was thinking, too, Carter has always been one of the moral centers of the show with her being dedicated to trying to stick by the letter of the law. Well, she went WAY off the reservation to bring HR down which takes away that distinction.

– Fusco to Shaw: "You know the dog is the only one who likes you, right?"
Loved this! I also liked seeing Lionel get to shed his bumbling cop thing for once.

– So how many guys did Finch go through before Reese, as Root implied?
I think Finch has always known that it isn't just possible, but probable, that Reese will get killed in the line of duty. Maybe that is part of what drove him to be so secretive early on?

– What kind of woman takes a microwaved pizza pocket out of a guy's hand and replaces it with a live grenade?! That may be the meanest thing Shaw has ever done.

I loved this scene. I don't know that this did add anything to the story except. It does give me hope that Shaw will keep her edge. We've been seeing her soften up alot lately. I HATE it when shows retcon their villains into furry kittens. Shaw may not be a villain, per se, but she's got to be one of the more morally ambiguous 'good guys'.

I also didn't like the whole thing with Simmons. I was thinking, after letting the head of HR get away once, why would Joss let her guard down when the 2nd in command is running loose?

I do think the ringing phone as Joss died was important. Is this the first time the Machine has tried to contact Finch outside the usual avenue? I'm thinking Finch's relationship with the Machine is about to change.
More+
Flag
A quarter into the episode and I couldn't handle the suspense, everything just pointed to Carter dying so I went to the end to find out and Lo and Behold the Bustards did it, they actually did it,, they killed Carter, I mean her death is by far the most poetic and meaningful but I thought they wouldn't dare, I am so mad but I'm also impressed cause they chose art over suits.

The test now is how the gamble will play out, will the show need to replace Joss or will it espouse her absence? I hate saying this but as a black person I kinda hate watching the only Black character of note on the show die hope we get another one.
Flag
Good episode , but a few gripes I had with it. At the morgue how could Finch just walk in and take out the cop standing guard like wasn't the whole place "surrounded and locked down". The scene where Reece got shot in the back was also kinda stupid , in the past we've seen Reece take out literally dozens of bad guys on his own. In this scene he takes out one cop then just ambles out into the corridor and gives the 2nd cop a free shot at his back I've rewatched the scene twice and it just looks dumb he literally just walks out into the open and gives the bad cop a free shot at his back lol!. Carters death was also really badly done, how on earth did SImmons just amble up to Reece and Carter without either one seeing him or Finch seeing him from across the road. Anyway enough of my nit picking ,really enjoyed the way they ended Carters story and her final conversation with Reece at the police station, it was the same talk they had in the pilot , really nice way of closing her arc off.
Flag
I just watched the episode, so I'm replying really late, but Reese only had one bullet. He took out one guy and used himself as bait so other guy would follow him. I hope that clears up one plot hole.
Flag
Ok. Fair enough BUT in the very next episode we see Reece take out an entire FBI SWAT team without firing a single bullet whilst being severely injured , I know sometimes we have to accept little plot devices like this to further the story but c'mon at least show like a dozen corrupt cops after him instead of just the 1 young uniformed cop.
Flag
I am emotionally compromised. I can no longer be the Captain of the Enterprise because of this moment. RIP Joss.
Flag
NOO!! can't believe Carter is gone :( been in the fetal position for awhile now
Flag
I was away for a week long conference so I only got to watch this episode now.

OMFGWTFARGHGHGHGHGHGGHGHGHHARHGHGHH!#%$#(#*@@!!!! sums it up just right.
Something tells me he'll be aiming slightly higher than the leg when he goes shooting up the remaining pieces of HR in "The Devil's Share."
Higher than the leg... I agree... shoot Simmons in the groin!!

Fusco was the star of the episode, saving Reese and Carter in the roadblock, holding out during torture, bonding with his kid, bonding with Shaw, and a good job all around.
Flag
I didn't know someone was going to die. I was so shocked when Carter got shot. I really like her on the show. Not too happy about the situation. They are going to have to have a person with high impact to fill her shoes.
Flag
The fact that we knew somebody from the team was going to die took a lot of the impact from the episode. It was a very good episode nonetheless. I don't understand why the networks reveal this beforehand. Is it to build audience for the episode before it airs? It's BS, that's what it is... Look at Game of Thrones. Now that was impactful.
Flag
Tim, thankfully I missed out on reading your last episode's review (sorry!) - therefore I didn't know somebody was going to die... However, I did not even need this hint to feel that there was something horrible to happen: The arc of suspense was done so well and I was cautious throughout the whole episode...It was kind of unbearable to watch Root trapped in her cell and Finch's fight with himself - everything was pointing in that direction: There could not have been a happy end, no way, not after this kiss shared between Carter and Reese, which was full of gratitude, desperation and a feeling of farewell all at once... It was like in one of these horror movies: You just know that the survivor will be hit by a bus in the last scene. When it became clear, that Simmons was still on the run, it was so obvious that there would be a major loss to be moaned about.

I am just happy that it wasn't Reese (his performance of grief while holding Carter in his arms was quite impressive!). The show did well to build up Carter as a bad ass avenging angel in recent episodes, the more we will miss her!

Next episode will be just brilliant, full of raw emotions: Reese going rogue, Root cut loose, Finch guilt-ridden... I cannot wait! This show is amazing and I am wondering how long they can possibly keep up this pace and quality - surely there has to be a deep hole where we all fall in when this storyline will reach its finale... Honestly, what next? Can there be anything of equal value waiting beyond the greatness we have seen so far in this show?
More+
Flag
solid reviewing. my only gripe was I kind of wish you didn't hint at the bottom of last episode's review that someone was going to die. you could have just said "check out this interview with the producers, hint, it has a huge spoiler".

throughout "The Crossing" all I could think about was that someone might die. and when Joss did die, although I definitely didn't see it coming, I wasn't as WTF shocked as I would have.

if I didn't have that spoiler, I would have been as blown away as I am watching game of thrones' WTF moments. and that's something when we are talking network tv!

anyway, this show rules!
Flag
Just wrote the same comment. I agree completely.
Flag
Am still in deep shock, this episode was simply unbelievable! Wow and Wow.
I think am going to have to buy the DVD of this season just to hear what they have to say about this whole episode. I thought Finch was rather selfish not to let Root go badass on HR. It might have prevented this. Wow .
So where is Carter going ? Anyone know if she has a next project or what?will they be finding someone in the Police to carry on in her place?
I dont think the kiss was romantic, I thought it was more of 2 people about to face death kinda thing. WOw
Flag
I thought it did look like a romantic kiss. You could tell he was falling in love with her from week to week. The kiss didn't surprise me but the death shocked me.
Flag
The more I think about this episode, the more I love the way the writers have handled character death on this show. With a lot of shows these days, it's either a show where the writers have no problem with killing off main characters if they feel it serves the story, or a show where a character's death is completely off limits (at least, unless an actor wants off the show, or dies themselves). In the former's case, the writers usually let the audience know fairly early into the series that it will be that kind of show. Maybe a season into it, or season 2 if they want to stretch it. But if you go so long without killing a main character, the audience starts accepting it as a series which won't kill off the main characters. With POI, the writers had lulled me (and I believe a lot of other people) into naively believe that it would be a show in which none of the characters would be killed off, making this turn of events that much more shocking and effective. Sure, it also meant that they lured in people who hate shows that kill off characters, and may lose those people now, but as long as the ratings still remain high enough to keep getting renewed, I'm very happy that they once again showed that they're not scared of taking risks in order to keep things fresh.
More+
Flag
OMGOMGOMGOMG
Flag
Great episode. Watched it twice back to back. I knew Carter was going to buy it once the weird kiss took place with Reese. Well, I knew it was going to be her or Reese, but while the show can go on without Carter, it could not without Reese. So, I figured that was it for her. And judging by the trailer for the next episode, I agree with Tim that we're going to see a much more raw and hardcore Reese -- one we haven't seen in a while, and which looks awesome.

There was a while when I actually thought Fusco was going to buy it as well; the lead up to Shaw saving his son and him killing the bad cop was very, very well done, and even heartbreaking at times (Fusco crying at the thought he lost his son... of the inevitability). I'm glad he got out of it.

Sad to see Carter go, of course -- the show won't be quite the same. But it couldn't really have been any of the others in her place, save MAYBE Fusco. And again, it will seriously fuel the rest of the show from here on in.
More+
Flag
"I don't know what the point of that scene was with regard to the overall story, but it will still entertaining. "

I believe the point was for us to understand why did Shaw suddenly appear in Fusco's house instead of the factory where he was kept. When faced with the choice between death by Shaw or death by Simmons, the cop chose Shaw because he knew Simmons would also kill his wife and sister. That's when Shaw realized that Simmons will go after Fusco's son too, and she has to save him instead of Fusco.
Flag
Guys; having read a lot of comments from you all, i think i'm coming to terms with- and after telling myself for nearly two days that: "So Carter is dead?" *in a state of unbelief* i better not meet these script writers that killed her off now cos i'm very angry and sad. i'm really unhappy about this current development! oh and Simmons; oh hes, i'm coming for you! i own your a%$#!
Flag
FYI more thorough interview was posted by the Hollywood Reporter -- @Taccado posted the link on our Community main page.

Tim and all Bear-loving fans may want to check it out--granted, the producers tip their hand on two future plot plans for Bear, so you know in advance not to read it if you don't want anything Bear-related spoiled (whether good or bad--not saying which).

The rest of the interview simply talks about the general direction that the show will take, both next week and in the second half of the season. Aside from what I said above, no specific spoilers are given that aren't implied by the preview, and what they do share is very similar to the signature Jonah Nolan vagueness that has been in Tim's Comic Con interviews with him each summer.

And now I'm more psyched than before, if that's even possible--the Machine is calculating a 99.99% probability that Tim will continue to be "amaze[d], impress[ed] and shock[ed] by the show for quite some time to come.

Flag
Side note: It would seem that the midseason break is a bit long this time, starting right after next week and punctuated in the middle by (aptly-named, I'm sure) "Lethe" (ep 11) on 12/17. (CBS to my knowledge hasn't released an air date for ep 12 yet, but I highly doubt there will be any new ones on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve.)

(I'd whine, but I'm too busy being appreciative of the fact that this Season hasn't skipped a single week yet. More of this next year, please, CBS.)

Flag
Combine Fusco's speech in the factory about the likelihood of guys like him dying and the knowledge that the writers had planned to kill Carter from the beginning, and you get a cold feeling in the pit of your stomach. Reese, Shaw, and Fusco are not just soldiers, they are potentially cannon fodder.

I'm not happy that Carter died. But at least they gave her story a heck of an ending. She won't fade away into obscurity. Joss Carter will be remembered.

If nothing else, it gives the writers a LOT of potential AND incentive to develop the characters. At this point, I think the only one to make it out of the show alive is Bear.

Flag
That was really a gutsy move to kill off a major character like that. Kudos to the writers for going there and kudos to the producers for letting it happen. I totally jumped out of my seat when Simmons popped out of the shadows and clipped 'em both.
It sucks to lose Carter but I do believe it will make the show better in the long run. I can't wait to see Reese start going for the revenge kill shots instead of knee capping fools.
Flag
Did Machine punish Finch? That call came way too late at the end,but just right before Carter and Reese got shot,so I am wondering,if Machine punished Finch,because he is holding Root prisoner.
Flag
I think the machine rang the phone to get Finch out of the line of fire. If he had continued across the street he could have been shot as well.
Flag
Punish Finch by letting Carter and Reese get shot and maybe killed? That doesn't sound like The Machine at all.
Flag
The show has lost its heart. I will not continue watching beyond next week.still not sure I will even watch that.this was just a stunt by the writers...look at us we are like game of thrones etc all.
Flag
paulbenton505 - good see ya - goodbye!
Flag
Game of Thrones wasn't the first series to do that and won't be the last.
Flag
I'm in absolute disagreement with you on this, in every respect. IMO, if anything, killing Carter shows that the show has found it's heart again.

True, now that the writers have made it clear that no character is wearing invincible "Plot Armor," the tension level has gone way up (the next time Reese is about to be shot/stabbed/blown up, I'll be a lot less certain of his survival), but Carter's death does more than that. It also hammers home the risks and sacrifices involved. When I think back on events of earlier episodes now, there's ethical nuance and emotional immediacy that just wasn't there before.

And as for plagiarizing Game of Thrones, the writers decided to kill Carter long before "Red Wedding" aired. In fact, Ms. Hensen was informed that her character would probably die in season 2 or 3 when she was first offered the role.
Flag
"True, now that the writers have made it clear that no character is wearing invincible "Plot Armor,""

- Actually, Reese was shot in the first season by his CIA buddies to the point that Finch had to drag him out and race him to one Dr. Madani to patch him up. Then we had to witness him recovering in a wheel chair as Finch had to hide him until he could get better. The peril has always been there, I think it just might be infrequent enough for people to remember it (unless a significant chunk of the audience came in after that).
Flag
I'll agree that PoI has been more willing than most to inflict suffering on its heroes, but there's a HUGE difference between Carter bleeding to death on the pavement and Reese spending an episode or two recovering back to full, undiminished health.
Flag
Reading the interview, they say that Ingram has never been alive on the show. Am I the only one wondering if that means he's secretly alive and will make an appearance down the line?

I cried over this episode. I cried over its being overwritten, I cried over the romance I've been waiting for for 2.5 seasons, I cried over it being cut short. This was a fantastic episode that serves to concrete PoI's place as top-shelf television. Now give me Hulk-Reese.
Flag
"Reading the interview, they say that Ingram has never been alive on the show. Am I the only one wondering if that means he's secretly alive and will make an appearance down the line?"

I didn't think of that while reading that part, but I have considered that possibility in the past. I wouldn't put it past the show to do that.
Flag
Although this may sound like hindsight, I actually predicted that Carter would be the sacrificial lamb. Fusco was too obvious because his face was plastered on every preview. Shaw and Root were just added as regulars, so why do that if the plan was to kill one of them off? Not to mention, Carter had a more significant role these past few weeks so it just appeared as if she was being groomed for a hero's good-bye.

I'm going to miss her character, but, I must confess, she would be the one I would miss the least. I like Shaw, although, not necessarily in every episode. I would prefer that she was used sporadically, in the same way that Zoe (Paige Turco) is utilized. I love Root. She's a REAL badass! And, for me, Fusco is as invaluable as Finch and Reese. So, if someone had to die, it had to be Carter.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to next weeks episode, and watching the team get some Carter revenge. I'd hate to be HR about now!
Flag
We did know John was planning to kill himself in the pilot, that wasn't new information, although, if I remember right I think he was going to have someone else do the killing, kind of like those people who commit suicide by cop, except he was going to do it by thug.

As for this episode, Fusco was too obvious to kill, the promos were trying to beat it into our heads just a little too hard. As soon as John and Carter kissed I knew it would be one of them, and it was never going to be John. Yes they were planning to kill a major character it wasn't going to be a lead. Let's be honest, John and Finch are the leads, and while the rest of the gang are major characters they are still secondary when compared to John and Finch.

I'm looking forward to wrapping this all up next episode, I didn't think it was possible, but John looks even more BAFM-y in the promo than he ever has before, and he's always been pretty damn BAMF-y. But the last couple of episodes have been pretty heavy, hell, the whole HR arc has been pretty dark, so I'm kinda looking forward to a nice simple 'number of the week' episode or 2 to lighten things up a little.
More+
Flag
I apologize if someone already pointed this out -- too many posts to search. If I'm not mistaken, the first time Finch called Carter "Joss" was outside the police station at the end. Finch very seldom uses anyone's first names. He generally calls John "Reese" or Mr. Reese" and "John" during tense moments (although I've heard use "Mr. Reese" in very tense times too). So calling her "Joss" was significant and probably akin to the kiss of death.

I hope Finch never learns my first name.
Flag
Wow I thought Fusco was a goner but Carter, no!!! When John kissed her I though that was sweet.
Flag
OK, so Reese and Carter had to get to the FBI building with every criminal in the city (except Elias's dudes) after them, but why not have the mountain come to Mohammed? Why not just call up the FBI and get them to send two unmarked cars with some guys with automatic weapons and stick Quinn in the trunk of one and Carter in the other and have Reese be all lone and heroic and run off into the night? Then if HR catches on, they roll down the window and they're like "we're the FBI! Know what that stands for? Fuck your Bitch ass Inside-out!"
Flag
What an amazing show this is. Sadly, I too called Carter early on, with the flashbacks of her sons dad coming back into the picture. Then kiss with Reese sealed her fate. Also, and inexplicably, when she died, I felt nothing. I never do that to characters I know and love. It usually stings with tears, I guess it happened so fast, because it wasn't until today it suddenly came over me like a wave. She will truly be missed. Fusco gets my balls of steel award for his suffering at the hands of Simmons. I don't know who I want to kill Simmons more, Reese or Fusco. Maybe John can beat him withing an inch of his life, and Fusco can three tap him. Root is so hard to read, and Shaw damn near smiled at Fusco. She saved his world, by saving his son. That was obviously more important to him than his own life. How many bullets did John take??? He is going to inflict some serious damage real soon, and was ready to give his all for Carter and Justice. Bravo man in the suit.. All in all a terrific, yet horrible episode, that's another example of television that other shows could learn much from, and still not be half as good.
More+
Flag
So besides having the same score composer (Ramin Djawadi) there's another thing POI and Game of Thrones have in common: KILLING OF ITS MAJOR CHARACTERS!!! What???? I did not see that coming! Now Reese is out for blood! Can't wait to watch next week's episode! This show's awesomeee!!!
Flag
Right before she got shot, The Machine searched for Simmons. But it didnt find him and that was strange. It also had wrong with Reese before he got arrested, THe Machine counted down probability for his survival to 0 but instead Finch fixed it. And without the help of Root. So a guess is the Machine is up to something and wanted Root released. The late phonecall seemed a bit like a warning to Finch not to mess anymore.
Flag
Jesus Christ. What do you think is the best episode then? Having binged watched the entire first two seasons, not a chance was there a better episode.
Flag
Agree !!!
Flag
I found the scene with Fusco and Shaw on the phone so heartbreaking, I thought that was the best one in the episode. For Shaw to make that choice, and then Fusco telling her that she had done good, you could just see the little girl from inside her wanting to hear that. And how she really did feel sorry for Fusco. I have to say I agree that Carter was the best choice to die, but ofcourse she had also been set up as that by tying her story to the HR downfall. And Fusco is just so brilliantly awesome, I would never have recovered from it being him!
Flag
DAT FACE

Flag
I loved this episode but am kinda annoyed at how they let Simmons go so many times.. He could have easily been immobilized (by shooting both kneecaps off for instance..) and HE is the one that gets to kill Carter? Nu-uhh..
Flag
I have a feeling that the Machine created a situation where Carter will die! I think The Machine is saying release Root or I will inflict pain on the ones you love!
Flag
The Machine wouldn't even let Root kill Hersh. It's just not a killer. If it wanted Root out, it would be much easier to just ask Finch to let her go.
Flag
I was a crying mess from Fusco's capture to Joss' shooting.

I can't wait for the next episode but I am also afraid of what's next...
Flag
Reading the comments here reminds me a lot of the Futurama episode "When Aliens Attack" for some odd reason:

Fry: Married? Jenny can't get married. Leela: Why not? It's clever, it's unexpected. Fry: But that's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared.Lrrr: [on TV] : Attention, McNeal. Your unexpected marriage plan scares us. You stole our hearts as a single female lawyer, and so shall you remain -- or else! Fry: You see? TV audiences don't want anything original. They wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousand times before.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC