Last episode from Person Of Interest “/” was impressive. It gave us that sparkling mix of mystery, mythology, humour, action and character development that only Person Of Interest seems to be able to pull of right now. There have been many Root haters, but they seem to come around a bit. Even Shaw got some positive feedback.

But this episode also gave us something different: vibes between Root and Shaw. First we saw Root giving Shaw a compliment.

and in the end of the episode we Shaw taking care of Root.

and Root doing what seemed to be flirting or maybe just teasing a bit again.

This vibe gave way to a lot of comments about those two. A few in the comment section of the review were:
  • what did Root mean by never being able to make Shaw look bad? Love interest maybe?
  • omg it's sooooo gonna be root and shaw.... root is totally crushing on her
  • Root and Shaw should be together asap
  • Shaw and Root would make the cutest couple
  • those two are the new old married couple
  • Root and Shaw do make a cute couple of psychopaths
Even if we think it might be just Root playing with Shaw to get her attention for some other reason, it fits her character fine. It did made me think about all the couples that could come to exist in the series. We have only seen a few until now. Aside from the depth of the relation Reese and Carter had, which we probably will never know, we have only seen Reese and Morgan and Finch and Grace. Reese and Morgan (let’s call them MoRe) were together a few times because they just enjoyed each others company. Finch and Grace of course were a real couple. I rooted for Fusco in the episode ‘Prisoners dilemma’ where he was protecting supermodel Kurkova. After they survived their ordeal, she kisses him and tells him to call her. But we never knew if anything happened.

It is well established that most relations originate in a working environment. Hell yeah, I met my wife while working for the same company. So why wouldn’t there be any in the future between the people working for The Machine? Although it may have started out otherwise (they believed The Machine was working for them and Root was on another side), they are now all part of the same ‘company’.

Although Finch was called a-sexual in the comments, I do not believe it, I think he is solely committed to Grace Hendricks. If they ever come together again I would like to call their relationship Finicks (pronounce: Phoenix, as in the the bird rising from its ashes). The coming together of Finch and Root (FRoot) as maybe the Machines parents in the future will as I believe, never happen.

Root, Shaw, Reese and Fusco give us some possible combinations that I have read people rooting for over the last year. Root was flirting with Shaw this episode (it would make ShOot)), Shaw en Reese (in that case ShEese) make an awesome couple on the work floor, but I wonder how it would work at home for them. Root and Reese (making it RoSe) on the other hand, would make life interesting in another way for each other. They might complement each other in a way that they would come home in the evening just out of curiosity what might happen next. We all want Fusco to have some love in his life. He deserves it, but could he handle one of the women? He has grown over the last year enormously so he might do fine as part of either RoSco (him and Root) or FuSh (him and Shaw). But I’m not sure he wants to as he would rather have a quiet life (so he says). It’s just the question if any of the women come to love him and think he is ‘up for the job’.

Last but not least, we can not forget one of our favourite protagonists: Bear. We just would love for him to be able to meet any female dog he would like to.

Who do you think might become a couple in the series (multiple answers possible)?

poll

Of course, if you know of a better portmanteau for the combinations then my attempts, please add those suggestions in the comments too. Have fun!
Comments (96)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Bear and Harold. Bearold.
Shaw, Root and Reese in a 3 way. Sharoose!
Flag
I kindly like to neglect the first suggestion and the second one is only acceptable if it were Sharoro.
Flag
Shaw and Root definitely have a thing for each other. Root is a total fan of Shaw (she did say so in "Relevance"!) and Shaw lets Root get away with all the flirting, I think she enjoys the attention.

Some people say Shaw and Fusco but that seems totally unrealistic to me.
Reese and Shaw are partners but definitely not interested in each other that way.

And Root with Finch? Are you kidding? Finch loves and will always love Grace. His relationship with Root is on an intellectual level, nothing more.
Flag
Agree with Finch and Grace, (Hendricks), but she's gone and he needs some love in his life. Maybe in a far future?

I still think Root and Shaw are still just flirting and liking it, but maybe we'll get one quick kiss on the cheek between them in the season finale after they've beaten Samaritan and survived it. All just to get the viewers hearts going.
Flag
I would love to see "Mr.Finch" happy and in love again with the woman he cares for. I think the writers should give him a break and stop his loneliness, it's about time to live his life.
Flag
I do too, but I assume the way things are going they won't let him. It makes him very vulnarable as the last episode showed us.
Flag
I know :( but then again in order to protect her he could turn into a kinda of bad/ kick ass hero! ;)
Flag
That would seem out of character him turning into some kind of Linus. I am very curious though where the next episodes will take us and what they will give Harold as meaning for his life. One never knows if he wanted out of his contract and we see him joining her in Italy to live happily ever after. Though I would love it for him, I would not loge it for the series.
Flag
Root has the relationship that's important to her, with the Machine. But I do like the flirting.
Flag
That would make a MacRo relation. Good one!
Flag
The only relationship I can see is Root loving Root.That self-satisfying smug grin of hers is a real give away, she loves herself. Shaw and Reese are lone wolves, they don't need to mess their lives up with mushy wuv. Harold (Finch) already has a love, who now thinks he's dead. Fusco's been there and done that and is now paying child support, so he don't need no more hassle. Maybe Bear will get some love action? Who knows? Who cares? POI is one of the best TV progs at the moment, it don't need mushy romance, it's fine as it is.
Flag
Root lived in a cage for awhile, with Bear keeping her company. That got old before too long.

Perhaps the writing could get a little creative; have Shaw invite Root to stay with her indefinitely. This could be supplemented by some webisodes featuring the two living together. See how that works out.
Flag
Love the shipper names. But in all honesty, I voted for none. The only ship I can see actually happening onscreen apart from a short hookup (if we're lucky) is Finch/Grace (that is if they don't kill her off at some point, right after she learns that Harold is still alive - I can be pessimistic that way). And that's a good thing (not the Grace possibly dying thing, obviously.)

POI is a great show that really doesn't need lots of relationship drama added to it.

Things like that quite often backfire - either people hate the ship, or they love it and the show gets hijacked by a romantic plot tumor. And nobody wants THAT.

Doesn't mean I'm not gonna ship the hell out of all my favourite pairings that are never going to happen on all the shows I watch.

And, especially considering the title of the most recent episode, you forgot to mention Rinch...:-)
Flag
Yes, but RInch is not discriminating, it might be Reese - Finch or Root - Finch. And for the latter one I suggested FRoot, which I thought would be close enough to the fruitcake that would be :-)
Flag
I don't see ShOot ever happening, I'd be alright with it if it did, but at the least I would welcome more of what was going on in this episode, the sort of playful banter. It's a bit of a leap to call it flirting and it's easily done because we're normal human beings, but Root and Shaw are anything but normal. What Root and Shaw are exhibiting could just be something closer to friendship, and it would be a very interesting dynamic to see. A "friendship" is something I suspect is new territory for the both of them and it would be entertaining to see their personalities play off one another.
Flag
Maybe it was the kind of flirting that seems to be going on to get attention and not in a romantic way indeed. As a person I'll never flirt just for flirting, but I understood there's lots of it going on without any meaning at all.
Flag
I think Root and Harold already love each other, but not in a romantic way. They are like uncle and a wayward niece. Harold both fears and fears for Root. Root admires and respects Harold, even if she gets fed up with his rules and lectures at times.
Flag
Fusco needs love but Shaw and Root are way too much for him to handle.
Flag
Wouldn't it be fun to watch what would happen? He has grown over the last seasons.
Flag
I don't think we'll get to watch, regardless of of who it is. :-)
Flag
Chances of the show going to HBO are second to none regrettably :-)
Flag
ha ha!!
I doubt the writers have anything like that in mind
Flag
What a useless topic. Just weighing in me 2 cents worth. Have a nice day. :-)
Flag
Thank you for reading it and commenting on it. Off course it is useless, it is just for fun and a lot of people seem to like it. Why don't you write a post and entertain us in the way you believe post should be written. Do not complain: act! I assure you, you will get an honest comments from us.
Flag
And yet you wrote a comment on this "useless topic".
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Shaw and Root? I don't see it happening, maybe in a land far, far away. But I like the name you came up with, "Shoot". I like almost all of the shipper names you came up with. How about an even more unlikely couple, "FuRee", pronounced fury, of course. LOL

Anyway my vote is going to none.
Flag
Great name!
Flag
Root & Reese would make the hottest, baddass couple ever.
Flag
As I wrote in the post, it will never be dull also.
Flag
I know Carter has passed, but why no mention of Carter/Reese?
Flag
Just for the reason you mentioned, she passed away so it's not really likely she will be in a relation with any of the characters. In a crossover to The Walking Dead it might have been an issue.
Flag
I vote Root and Reese or no one , simply because this serie is always about surprising us , throwing us curve balls , that can seem random yes fits . Shaw and Root is too filrty for it to amount to anything , and Root/Finch is way too predictable
Flag
Actress of Zoy Morgan is already staring in another show, so MoRe won't happen. ShaRoot is very possible, because they can relate to each other.
But Reese won't find his other side, because it would destroy character he is. But if he find some one, she will be someone who not only give him peace, but also helps him to do things he is doing, and that is helping people.
Flag
I really hope the love stuff does not become more then it is. I love this show and it does not need romance to make it better. It is leaps and bounds head of everything else partly because it does not have love relationships ruining and running the plots.
Flag
ShaRoot, because they are both smoking hot
Flag
They are absolutely hot, but what is the connection with the name ShaRoot? As a non native English speaker I may have missed the obvious reason.
Flag
A cheroot is a type of cigar, and close phonetic match to Shaw-Root
Flag
Exactly, that's what I was going for, too.
Flag
Roots real name is Samantha Groves, and Shaw has a similar first name - Sameen. Basically they both are called Sam. So, i think, their portmanteau should represent that fact in some way. That's as far as my thought process went... Some help, anyone?)
Flag
I began thinking of a possible connection between the two back when Root was busy tasing Shaw into submission in order to help her do what she needed to (about half a season ago!). Shaw just never seemed to be too pissed about it and we all know Root loves a bit of pleasure in her pain :)

As for the rest. I'd like to see Finch get his wife back, and just imagine the faces on everyone in the precinct if at some point Fusco's supermodel girlfriend drops by to take him to lunch :D He's pretty much the 'it' guy there now, adding that would make him Legend!

As for Reese... I think his relationship with Carter was forced at the end. It seemed like a hack job in an otherwise very well constructed universe. That's why I'd like him to find someone, maybe someone more 'quiet'.
Flag
Flag
It indeed would be legendary if the top model came walking in the precinct for a lunch with him. Of course he would have to leave during the lunch to support Reese somehow, but she will be waiting for him for him on the precinct to come back. What happens there when she gets so much attention and she sends them all away because she only wants Fusco, will almost make him immortal.
Flag
Shaw and Root are adorable when they do their little "thing", but I don't see them becoming an actual couple. If they ever DO get together, it would most likely be casual, and physical, and not much beyond that.

They just mesh quite well - they're both emotionally stunted loners with an ability to play at being "normal" when they need it, who are slowly developing more empathy and connecting to their emotions with the help of either Team Finch or The Machine.
They are both "believers", although Root's cause is The Machine and Shaw is still a die-hard patriot who has simply incorporated that into the "we save everybody"-code of Team Finch.
But neither of them is anything like ready for an actual relationship with a normal human being (or each other) - they are two halves who don't make a whole.

I think Finch and Reese are the same platonic ideal.
While I enjoy the odd Finch/Reese fanfic as much as the next slashfan, I really don't see them becoming physical - theirs is a relationship carried by subtle gestures of caring, gentle teasing and a willingness to die for each other without hesitation.
Kind of like a Victorian romance novel, in other words.
And utterly beautiful. :)
More+
Flag
I'm not a shipper but I can't deny there is a chemistry between Root and Shaw.
Flag
I'm not a shipper at all, for no combination, I rather have them teasing each other. Works better for me. You also only tease persons you care about, have some chemistry with.
Flag
When does Root turn into Illeria?

Sorry. Wrong show.

Flag
Illeria... Illaria... I'm confused now.
Flag
Probably because it is Illyria... :)
Flag
It is. Jeez it has been a while. I think you all got the joke. Spelling mistakes, really? Shame on you all. And yes - shame on me for not remembering the spelling. Kudos for me for finding the bad-ass pic, though
Flag
Yes!!! Kudos for the pic!!!! :D
Flag
No, probably because I watch Helix.
Flag
Helix did make me incrementally dumber every week like the characters. But there I was every damn Friday. I miss it now.
Flag
Flag
Hahaha I know right?
Flag
What show is this? Because I need to watch ASAP!
Flag
The Buffy spinoff "Angel" ...about a dozen episodes in (IMHO) it surpassed it's mothership show. 4 1/2 seasons of Whedon and Greenwaldt awesomeness. Some of the best serial storytelling I have ever watched.
Flag
Seasons 2, 3 and 4 are real gems IMO
Flag
Bear needs a bitch. That is who I am rooting for. Because it would then be BeaTch.
Flag
And little attack puppies would be cute
Flag
Reese and Shaw in the park with a bunch of 6 week old German Shepherd puppies. Their baddassness will forever be ruined!
Flag
How about Shaw and Collier? Shollier? Think about it a bit. Their meeting in this episode seemed pretty adversarial, but they also didn't seem too far apart ideologically. Also, Collier was shown as an "asset" in the final scene, so the Machine may be trying to shape Vigilance into a force for good in the battle to come. If that's the case, and Shaw and Collier are forced to work together once in a while, I could totally see it.
Flag
That might indeed be possible, nice name also. Collier walked out of that fight, maybe he likes her too much to see her killed (as if that would happen)
Flag
Plus we all know there's a fine line between love and hate. For Shaw, shooting at each other might be considered foreplay.
Flag
When Root said "I love it when you play doctor", I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of slashfics had suddenly been written.
Flag
RootBear, although it would be wrong on so many levels
Flag
Root Beer, that's as far as I can go.
Flag
Many levels. But why do I think Bear might have bigger issues from it than Root. She is just freaky that way.
Flag
Staff
I'm rooting for ReesCo!!!
Flag
Now I have a disturbing picture in my head of them walking down the street, holding hands.
Flag
Reese and Collier? ^^ I'm fairly sure that that pairing would end up with Collier dead on the floor.
Flag
as in Reese ans Fusco??? Nope. no. I want to delete this outta my mind!
Flag
It was good fun, just like when Shaw ("seems pretty clear to me Finch") and Reese ("I think she likes you Harold") made fun of Finch about the product (Primer X) in the publicity he received on his phone. And although I personally wouldn't like to have any pairings on the show I do welcome this kind of teasing between all the characters any time. It's playful with just the right amount of sting. As was Fusco's way to addressing Root ("Cocoa Puffs" or "Cuckoo's Nest").
Coming up with the couples names is kinda hard but hilarious; thanks for the post Rolamb!
Flag
Thanks, I agree with you that I rather see them teasing a lot then hook up. I personally love to tease other people and I try to tease as I can in comments as and posts. I always hope a post like this is rocking the boat a bit.

It was so much fun making those names.
Flag
Kate is right. It is only the Showrunners messing with the fans. Root might think she is above sexual gratification. If she uses it, she uses it as a means to an end. Shaw would see it as a release of chemicals in the brain. Allows her to burn of steam and release any left over anxiety or aggression.
Flag
Yeah, I'm not sure Shaw would be any fun in bed. The result might look like Sonya Cross in The Bridge - really akward for the guy.
Flag
As much fun as it was to watch Shaw and Root flirt with eachother, I don't think there will be any in-team relationships. I think that is more a (mostly) male fantasy concerning Ms. Shahi and Ms. Acker.

The only one that really has any potential, and for that matter any need for a relationship is Fusco. All the others are either to damaged (Finch, Reese), to psychopathic (Root) or to sociopathic (Shaw). One or the other might get the eventual hook-up but not a real relationship with feelings and such.
Flag
I don't think Root is so much into Shaw as she just knows how to push her buttons. While the adorable line "I love it when you play doctor." sounds like flirting, I saw it more as a jab at Shaw's past, especially since her problem with that job was being unable to show virtually any empathy whatsoever.
Flag
ShaRoot (not ShOot!) were cute as hell this week but I don't think they should take it any further. Though I wouldn't object to some more light flirting.

If Shaw hooks up with anyone it should be Fusco. He deserves it and I really thinks she likes him.

If Root hooks up with anyone it should be me.

As for who actually becomes couples in this show, I don't even want to guess. I'll leave that in Nolan's hands completely.
Flag
I saw in the review comments you used ShaRoot, but I personally like ShOot more, is tells more of what their combination is capable of. But, every name has value.

In the competition for Root you'll probably not be the only one :-)
Flag
Oh, I think the showrunners who seem very self aware and into social media, are trolling the audience with this one.
Flag
Probably, but it was a great inducement to think about these parings. I had so much fun thinking up the names for the couples.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  •