We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Person of Interest Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBS (Returning May 3, 2016)

Person of Interest S03E07: "The Perfect Mark"

One little trick that Person of Interest's third season has had a lot of fun with lately is making the numbers of the week tie into the show's bigger stories. In "The Perfect Mark," Hayden Price (Mad Men's Aaron Staton), unlicensed hypnotherapist and con man, mind-invaded one of his clients who also happened to be a money launderer for HR. In last week's "Mors Praematura," the number belonged to a man searching for his foster brother, who was a target for the Vigilance hacker collective and also an important piece of the Machine's plan. In "Rozgovor," the damsel in distress was a 10-year-old spy who'd collected some dirt on HR. It raises the question: Are these numbers and their relation to the bigger picture fortuitous coincidences in a city of 50 bajillion people? Or is the Machine's decision-tree hand-picking numbers for a greater good and maximum efficiency? With its probability gumball machine working overtime, why wouldn't the Machine be able to spit out numbers that benefit Reese, Finch, Carter, and itself? This thing is like a Nate Silver-bot, of course it knows what it's doing.

But for all the Machine's foresight in connecting the team's daily jobs to outstanding tasks of greater importance, it sometimes has trouble choosing people who deserve to be saved. Hayden Price was the worst. And remember that "wife" from "Reasonable Doubt"? She was a pain as well. That episode exposed a weakness in the Machine's ability to select deserving numbers, and it required human intervention to correct; Reese basically threw his arms in the air and let the problem sort itself out in one of the more badass endings of a POI case ever. Consequently, I was waiting for Reese to do something similar with Hayden, who proved to be an entirely untrustworthy, selfish, smug prick. C'mon, Machine! Wasn't there an old lady who needed help crossing a street or something? Or maybe a puppy that got its head stuck in a Pringles can? Did we really have to go save this asshole? He deserved everything that was coming to him.

But not everyone can be an ideal victim in need of Reese and Finch's aid, so we were stuck saving Hayden even though he should have been thrown out a 37-story window or covered in pork chops and locked in a cage with Bear. Hayden's con game was pretty great in a super silly way, however. He hypnotized clients looking for an easy way out of a smoking habit or whatnot, and when they were under, he began asking them questions like, "What was your first pet's name?" or "What was your mother's maiden name?" and other common online security questions. Then he'd access their bank accounts and siphon a little off the top to stuff his wallet. Ha! The ludicrous brilliance of this plan should be celebrated as a national holiday. Of course, he probably could've just asked for his clients' passwords or even had them hypno-log-in to sensitive accounts and saved everyone a lot of time, but that wouldn't've been nearly as cool. 

Hayden drew the attention of HR because one of his clients was an antiques dealer who laundered money for them by bidding on fake items at auction and funneling the payment straight into HR's coffers. That meant that when Hayden stole from the antiques dealer, he stole from HR. Hayden was also running other con games, including a nifty double-cross that conned his conning con partner, and that should have been a warning sign for what this story would become. You see where this is going? It turned out that everyone was conning everyone else, and Hayden's one honest aspect of his life—his girlfriend—was conning him all along and ran off with an autographed baseball worth 4.4 million dollars. The cons were so abundant that their surprise began to lose effect, and by the last one, my response was unenthusiastic at best.

Emotionally, I was torn between "Good, Hayden deserved it," and "Ehhh, whatever" because Hayden was an unsympathetic jerk who didn't earn my attention. "My ultimate con, my final trick was going to be actually turning into the guy that she fell in love with," Hayden said. PUH-LEASE! Someone get this cheeseball off my television screen! That's a problem with a case-of-the-week, we have to like him or her for some reason, whether it's because they're generally likeable or because they're fun to hate. Hayden was a dud, which made everything that took place around him—the twists, the stakes, the intrigue—much less interesting. And though Reese, Finch, and Shaw all appropriately gave him the stinkeye for what he did, the whole job felt like a chore that everyone (including me) wanted to be done with. Reese and Finch should have a "do over" option when they get a number from the Machine. Finch: "Ummm, Machine? This guy's kind of a douche, can we have another number?" Machine: *beep* *boop* *beep* *beep* [prints out new number of attractive supermodel being attacked by Eastern Europeans] Fusco: "I got this one."

The relevant portion of "The Perfect Mark" was a swift kick in the ass, though. Carter made HUGE strides toward unraveling the HR conspiracy. With the help of Elias, who is still hiding out in some elegant man cave, Carter learned about the antique dealer's deal with HR, and with Fusco's help he faked the antique dealer's death. It got a little complicated, but all you need to know is Hayden continued conning everyone, which resulted in everyone going on the hunt for this missing 1920s autographed baseball. Quinn and Simmons put Terney on the case, and Terney in turn pressed on Laskey to help him out. It all ended with Laskey and Carter getting into a confrontation with Terney, and only Carter made it out alive. Wow! Laskey didn't last long, did he? That's too bad, he was evolving into a fascinating character in the middle of Carter and HR, but now he's just a symbol of how dangerous this stuff actually is. And Terney, for his part, did the noble thing for some reason and ID'd Quinn as the puppet master of HR, leaving Carter to be like:  

YESSSSS!!! Person of Interest has used its expanding universe of bad guys very well, establishing plenty of villains so it can wrap up mini-arcs every few episodes and give us plenty of small victories to cheer. But HR is the big, slippery fish that's never been hooked, and Carter learning the identity of its director is one Moby Dick-sized catch. This will have big ramifications moving forward. And if you saw the "next on Person of Interestpromo that ran after the episode (warning: there's a potential spoiler in it, but CBS ran it, so it can't be that bad), you know exactly who takes the brunt of those ramifications over what looks like a whopper of a three-episode arc before we break until the midseason. And let me say one thing about that promo: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

All told, this episode's lame number-of-the-week was helped out by some world-shattering developments with Carter and her quest to take down HR, resulting in a middle-of-the-pack episode. Person of Interest's people in need don't have to be do-gooders, but they do have to have some charisma, or a reason for us to be invested in their well-being. If not, at least let Reese shoot 'em in the leg or something. 

NOTES OF INTEREST

– THIS STOOL SLAP! Yeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhh!

– THIS FISTBUMP!!! Go Team!

– I loved Reese's attitude this whole episode. After Finch told him about Hayden's hypnotherapy practice, Reese deadpanned, "Does he do birthday parties?" The cheese that comes out of this guy's mouth is PERFECT. 

– Fusco [while dripping fake blood on a man while faking a crime scene]: "Will you let me work? I'm going for a hollow-point special kind of motif."  

– I was rooting for the young kid who bought the baseball for $5 to win. How great would it have been if he ended up with the real baseball and everyone else got screwed?

– Finch still has Root locked up in his library. She raised an interesting point when she brought up the potential for Finch to be jealous that the Machine doesn't talk to him like it talks to her. But there's one thing I want to know: Where does Root pee?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/5/2015

Season 4 : Episode 22

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/3/2016

Season 5 : Episode 1

153 Comments
Comments (154)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
OMG you forgot Fusco's awesome line:
"Hey Dragon Tattoo, he's also a con man who stole from you!"
Flag
Laskey's death was meant to happen, but maybe was too soon.
Carter is sooo great, I loved the fistbump with Reese.
I don't like Root, but her comment about Finch's being jealous was interesting.
POI is such a great show!
P.S.- I love Fusco even more now that I know he is a Met's Fan :)
Flag
Best drama/thriller/suspense on tv since "24". Caviezel is prefect for the part but all cast members do a great job.
Flag
Fusco!

Reese!

Fusco and Reese! <3

And less Shaw. And amazing Carter. And wise Root. And Finch at a loss.

NOW I'm intrigued. About time.

Flag
Elias is smoozing Carter (C'mon taste the wine) Does he see her as his Emma Peel?
Flag
Wow! Okay, let's get down to it:

*Laskey: I feel like they killed him off too soon. As others have noted, he was becoming a very interesting character. Why couldn't he have been like Fusco Junior? I will say that I dislike this Hollywood-ism of having people say snarky things to each other before they shoot, so unrealistic. Carter should have shot Tearney the moment he threatened to kill her. Hey, Han shot first too! Also agree that it was incredibly stupid to hang out in that... lobby, or whatever with the sensitive photos. Erm, yeah, just chillin' and waiting for HR to come assassinate us!

By the way, enjoyed how Henson played the scene where Carter realizes he's dead. She cries out, then VERY quickly reaches for his neck pulse, without even looking, and immediately knows he's dead. But she gives herself barely a second to wince before marching over to get Tearney's last words. "Be a cop!" Fantastic line.

Speaking of...

*Carter: Thumbs up if you agree that this is really Carter's season. Yes, we've been Shaw-shanked numb, but is anybody in any doubt that Henson is walking away with the show in her pocket right now?

Now skipping over the dull case of the week and Root's silly blathering to what everyone REALLY wants to talk about...

*Next Week's Promo: People are saying the Endgame promo is a red herring and Carter is really the one who's going to take the hit. Shaw saying "I'm sorry Lionel" and Fusco breaking down over some news over the phone is a tiny hint that might be what it is, but I doubt it. As I just said, this is Carter's show right now. She's become a major character, while Fusco's been effectively written out. Face it, they've been arranging his funeral for a long time now.

On the one hand I want to do a Darth Vader Blu-ray thing. ("NOOOOO!") Trading Fusco for Shaw was a mistake. A bad one. I became invested in Fusco's story and came to love Chapman's grounded yet nuanced performance. Shaw, by contrast, is a completely blank slate, quite deliberately so. Frankly, they brought her on because they wanted another good-gal female regular. So, obviously I think they should have kept Fusco as a regular and waved bye to Shaw after Season 2. However, now that they've made him so useless, maybe the logical thing to do is to kill him at this point. Even though I WANT them to kill Shaw, I know that would clash with how elaborately they've groomed her.

And you have to admit, as much as we might hate it, these episodes could wind up being pretty damn heart-breaking good. Giving Fusco a truly noble, heroic death would stink in one sense, but it might be awesome in another sense.

Not that I won't be happy if I'm wrong. Are you kidding me?
More+
Flag
Laskey said HR was stockpiling money for who knows what. I make a prediction: Quinn is going to run for Mayor. And he is going to win.
Flag
I think Quinn already said last year that he doesn't want to be mayor because "mayors come and go, but we [HR] will always be here" (or similar words).
Flag
"Politicians come and go, but we'll be here forever." - Quinn, "Bury the Lede"
Flag
God, I f*#$ing love this show
Flag
YEAAAH
Flag
The only thing I don't like is, what with all The Machine's power, Carter found out the head of HR through an almost dead man who'd just shot her partner.

Wouldn't it have been easier to ask The Machine? It 'sees everything', apart from HR apparently.....
Flag
Only Root has that kind of specialized Q&A access apparently (hence Finch being unnerved). Although it never tells her anything more than a moment before she needs to know it, so probably even she couldn't.

(And it does see HR, as it displayed its own HR tree onscreen not too long ago--but it's programmed to stop acts of terrorism and report the numbers of the direct perps/victims of violent crime. The only time Quinn actually did his own dirty work was in his camera-free office last year, and he always seems careful how he phrases things he says, so there was not enough warning.)
Flag
They killed Laskey! You bastards!
Flag
damit, that character had just started turning interesting! and it'd b 'fun' watching Carter actually mentor an assistant...
Flag
One thing is very clear, and that's that POI is trying to keep things interesting and not fall into a story of the week series. Its universe is shifting and causing upheaval. I don't yet feel a strong bond in the "team"; I miss Fusco and think he's horribly underused but such a great character. The addition of Shaw (who's okay by me when she's subtle) has distracted me away from the core of Reese and Finch (and bear) and their interactions with the read badasses. Glad to see Carter up front.

POI is a very different show in its 3d season than it was in the first and most of the second seasons. I think we need more machine, more Reese and Co. badassery and faster pacing and I'd be happier with the show's direction.
Flag
You missed the combo shoot-punch scene in your awesome GIFs for this episode. Oh man, so much Reese amazing here
Flag
I enjoyed the case of the week, although I agree that the con man was a total douche bag. After re-watching the episode, didn't care much for the girlfriend either. Too bad Lasky was killed when he was just beginning to grow on me. It seemed that he was just a dumb, impressionable kid after all.
Loved Tim's review - quite entertaining. I'm so gonna cry if Fusco is killed!
Flag
The fist bump was perfect, especially with the look on Carter's face. I think I laughed out loud when Reece did that. And I do think that Root might be onto something with Finch being disturbed that BLAM isn't talking to him.
Flag
Another strong outing for Person of Interest's still-budding season three. Perhaps not as stellar as the past two showings, but there were plenty of treats nonetheless. I didn't get to comment on the previous week's fairly excellent episode, but POI is clearly on a roll here. And it seems like it's going to carry on with that all the way to its midseason break.

There is clearly a theme when it comes to the numbers the Machine offers to our team lately, and I refuse to believe that it's all just a coincidence. We've moved on to bigger things on a more regular basis, and there is more at stake now.

Looks like those of us who'd hoped to see the resolution of HR storyline by midseason end might get our wish. Carter's arc has been getting more and more intense: approaching one culmination point in "Razgovor",and now reaching another - and a considerably bigger one at that - in "The Perfect Mark".
Terney lasted longer than I thought he would, so he just met his fitting end (at least Reese got to hurt him before that!) - with a small reedeming gesture at that. Now Carter finally knows the true nature of Quinn. It's only going to heat up from here.
Shame about Laskey. He didn't start out as a very nuanced character, what with turning out to be a tad-too-obvious-HR-spy with his naive and somewhat silly reasoning, only to undergo a bit too quick of a turnaround when pressed by Carter. It feels like he has barely attempted some good growth in this episode before his time was up. Too soon.
I kind of have to nitpick at that scene, because why the hell would Carter and Laskey meet to discuss highly sensitive photos in a freaking public area?! Why not at Laskey's place? Anyone could overhear, anyone could walk in on that, and there were quite a few entrances that I spotted. And also how is it that apparently no one got to hear the shots? There are clearly people living there.

I thought that Hayden the hypnotherapist wasn't so bad (not sure why Tim is hating so much); we had much worse scum in the episodes 2 and 4. At least his cons were inventive and there was even a tiny redeeming value towards the end. I sort of groaned at the final twist, however. Making his girlfriend a con-woman was so unneeded, and this is one of those cases where POI tried to be too clever for its own good. If you overdo something, it eventually backfires. And backfire it did. So I'll just roll my eyes one final time and cast this forgettable scene out of my mind.

Reese was so awesome this episode. I cheered out loud when he hit Terney with that stool - that was such a perfect entrance. The fistbump with Carter was all kinds of epic, too. Plus his priceless deadpan wisecracks (-"Who the hell are you?" - "The Night Watch.").
Fusco didn't disappoint either, with his amusing blood painting routine. I missed seeing him in a longer scene.
Always happy to see Elias. He seems to stay surprisingly put for the time being.
Bear is no doubts the best animal actor I've ever seen. Just look at that perfect timing.
Finch's and Root's ongoing discussion on all things theologo-psychological when it comes to the Machine was interesting in a way, but did not steal my attention. But there might be some foreshadowing to it, I suppose.

Having high hopes for the rest of this year. Show them how it's done, POI.
More+
Flag
I agree with literally every single thing you said here. Everything. Great review.
Flag
Was the ending a nod to ' Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' even if it was in a more serious context. Looks like the HR story is coming to a climax which is good not to let it run ad nauseum. Liked this weeks story nice balance between the characters, now Shaw has been embedded, her place in the team as primary back up to John is established(so enough Shaw haters).
And kudos to the writers for giving Taraji Henson prominence in the series so far and to her for making the most of the opportunity with some fine acting.
Flag
The episode was a bit meh for me, but that scene with Carter at the end saved it all. She is such a badass!

I absolutely love the bromance between Reese and Carter these days. What awesome character development.

I am hoping the show will show of Fusco a bit more, I don't know if the actor has had some vacation or what, but he has hardly been present lately. No episode have to include all characters, but they have to mix it up. Personally I am also hoping the midseason finale will see the end of the HR threat (how many are honestly left?), and then the last half of this season will devle more into one of the several other baddies, who exist, I mean we haven't heard anything more to Control e.g.
Flag
Agreed.

We also missed the smirk before Reese broke that dude's face with the chair. You got have the smirk, people. It's trademark.
Flag
I was actually hoping for a cameo of James Earl jones showing up to pay the kid for the ball (as he had played the original owner of a Murderers' Row ball in The Sandlot), shaking his head and saying something like, "I knew that Smalls kid would lose this one too."

(LOVE those last name one-liners during the climactic scenes! Last week it was "Shaw." "Reese." This week: "Terney." WHAM!)

Flag
When did the machine become mom and Harold and Root siblings? I musta got lost in the words of J. Geils.

Yeah, the number was a "bag", but the story was still interesting. That's writing quality trumping a certain person's portrayal of the character. It speaks to the quality of the writing being quite good at this point.
Flag
It was sad, though not unexpected for Laskey to die. At least Carter took care of his killer in the process. I was happy the kid at least made a healthy profit off the deals on the baseball. He may not have made millions, but $115 profit isn't anything to sneeze at. (the girlfriend may have been a grifter, but at least she wasn't as cheap as the hypnotherapist) Plus, whatever he makes off the cel phone after he dries it off & takes out the sim card.
Flag
you hate the case of the week too much.... and waste a lot of breath complaining before getting to the good stuff.... there have been far less interesting cases of the week and i tend to like both the cases and the overall story.... 3 episode arc, i hate that, means i want to dvr all of them first and do a single sitting to see it all play out, i hate being left waiting.... and they are saying a hero will fall and making you think fusco, now this could be a gimmick to draw your eyes away from who will be the real victim or it could be him... i agree with one thing said in previous reviews, they are under using fusco right now,.. but i like all the characters, except root, i understand her importance, but she is so convinced she and the machine are close and i think the machine is using her to reach the people it will need and in the end, she will find herself betrayed by the machine, in the sense that she will end up in jail, where she should be, or on the run without the machine and seeking revenge for its betrayal....
More+
Flag
Good question Tim. Where does Root go potty.
Flag
i think about that every time they show where she is locked up, but i bet she won't be there for much longer... the machine still wants her help, but i think she is mislead on thinking she will be enjoying that future she envisions.
Flag
But the Machine doesn't know where she is, Finch will have taken care of that. No mobile for her to talk to the Machine and no camera around.
Flag
Bah Finch backed himself into a corner i'd say . The lack of any kind of machinery and tech in an area where she knows Finch will be at some point , will be clues enough for Root's location
Flag
The POI for this ep was eh. Saw the girlfriend coming in her first lines of dialog ("What about money?") but didn't really care. Some interesting twists, but generally eh.

LOVED Carter's arc. Going to miss Laskey (he was just getting interesting). Nice to see Elias and The Fusco.

I'm really starting to worry about The Fusco. His absence this season and the previews for the next episode (though we know how misleading those can be) have me wondering if he isn't becoming a victim of a bloated cast and therefore expendable.

"Finch to Root: Mr. Reese is upstairs with an unhealthy number of firearms." LOL. I still want Reese's pantry

I too wanted the kid to end up with the real baseball.
Flag
The number of the week was weak. I hated him from the moment he opened his mouth. Couldn't have cared less about him. His girl was too good for him and I knew something must be wrong. I kind of saw her conning him coming. I also hoped the ending would show the kid walking down the street tossing the ball and whistling.

I voted this episode up because of Carter's case and the stool slap that Terney got. Fist bump was pretty cool too. The lack of Fusco screen time was made up for with his line about the hollow point motif. I like Fusco, but Carter his stepping up her game since she was busted down to beat cop.

I think Harold is jealous of Root being able to have the machine (mom) talk to her. That is why she gave him such a weak number this week. She (the machine) was telling Harold that if he does not play nice with his sister (Root) then he will not get the supermodel's number.

Overall, this episode advanced the HR plot very well. It is about time that they revealed to the players that Quinn was the puppetmaster. Carter is a lot better as a beat cop. Shaw was almost non-existent. I was hoping for some Shaw snark about the lame-ass number. Reese is such a badass with the stool slap. Last week he beat down Simmons and this week he stool slapped Terney. Harold is jealous of Root and needs to be put in time out. Let Root run the next mission. She nailed it with Shaw. Bear needs another case. I give this an 8/10.
More+
Flag
Their fist bump was epic lol
Flag
Another great review, Tim.

May I offer two words, "Greater good."
Flag
"All told, this episode's lame number-of-the-week was helped out by some world-shattering developments with Carter and her quest to take down HR, resulting in a middle-of-the-pack episode."
- Agreed.
Flag
"But there's one thing I want to know: Where does Root pee?" <---I wondered this exact same thing during the show! I was actually looking for a bucket or something.
Flag
Just because we don't see an attached bathroom doesn't mean there isn't one.
Flag
I also wondered, as Reese is not always around to guard her. And I wanted to know how she stayed so clean, well showered.
Flag
Fist-bump and stool-slap. Very nice :D
Also: A "how-to" from Shaw on taking apart a weapon without hurting yourself...

This one was, after the last two great episodes, a bit of a step backwards but still enjoyable. I did not expect them to move the HR-storyline foreward this fast. We have just gotten used to Laskey - but getting the head of HR identified was defenitly worth his death to Carter - she got the Head but lost her mole. Not a bad trade.
Flag
Nice episode but I was really surprised they killed off Laskey. I really thought he was going to stick around longer, possible help bring down HR from the inside. Gonna miss him. I was liking how Carter was handling him.
Flag
Nooooo! Laskey! They killed the puppy! :(
I was so happy when Carter turned him, and he started his "path to redemption", much like Fusco - he was cute, he had a conscience, he was really growing on me - of course they had to kill him off. *grumble*

Fusco's "art project" - i.e. fake blood spatter - was brilliant, especially quibbling with Carter about getting it right.

Got to say I saw the twist with the girlfriend a long way off, but then I did recently see another "hypnotist thriller"-plot in a movie and was pre-set to expect a twist-within-the-twist - I was halfway convinced SHE would turn out to be a hypnotist or something. :p

Not the best episode (the last couple have been absolutely BRILLIANT, not that easy to keep it up), but the HR-storyline was interesting and there was enough quality to keep me entertained all the same. :)
Flag
[prints out new number of attractive supermodel being attacked by Eastern Europeans] Fusco: "I got this one.". Tim, We still agree on the awesomeness of that episode.
Flag
It was a great episode. The ending was particularly good with the Rookie getting hit and Carter realizing who was the head of HR. Which really The Machine should have sussed out a while ago. But now Carter knows and as GI Joe has always told us, knowing is half the battle. So it will be interesting to see what she and the rest of the squad does with that information.

As for the case of the week, it was nicely done however when the girl walked in with the Snapple and the kid walked into the antique store with his cold drink sign it was kind of a reveal. I too kind of wish the kid would have come out with the ball because that would have been cool.

Next episode is the episode where it will be determined if this is just a really good show or if it is a great show. I am rooting for great show. Sorry Fusco I don't think you are going to make it.
Flag
Finch doesn't need to skip over numbers. We have Shaw. "I'm so gonna shoot this guy." Trigger-happy Shaw, as I like to call her. It's a good job Finch has her on a leash. I liked the guy's con - it was really cool. This show has so many twists and turns that I actually expected the girlfriend to be conning him, and had little surprise when it happened.
Flag
Root's logic seems a bit backward. "Mommy still loves both of us." Finch built the Machine. He's not the child jealous of his sibling, he's the parent worried that his child has hit its teen years and is making bad friends.
Flag
Maybe you didn't get it. Finch may have created the Machine but the machine is the one looking out for both of them. That's what Root meant by "Mommy still loves both of us". Your logic is flawed. As Finch is not more powerful than the Machine and he has never given us an indication that he cares about the Machine at all. If anything Finch fears the Machine.
Flag
I don't think much logic was involved. I think she was just lashing out, trying to hit a nerve. However, it does provide another interesting example of how differently Root and Harold view The Machine.
Flag
That is what i was thinking
Flag
We had the best scene yet in the history of POI.

Bear's reaction to Harold saying he didn't have a pet as a child!
Flag
FUSCO IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
that may be the best fist bump this year - honest and perfectly timed
and why is it that Shaw's nose looks so big in some shots? Lighting?
Flag
Because it is big.
Flag
And yet, she won Miss Fort Worth TX and was also a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader (with no prior experience, to boot).

Besides, haven't you ever heard that everything's bigger in Texas? :)
Flag
Oh, I think she's a cutie! Root and Shaw are my new favorite lesbian couple (well, in my brain they are a couple).
Flag
in a TV Guide Magazine interview - Who do you think will survive longer on the show, Root or Shaw?
Acker: We'll probably get married and live happily ever after.
Shahi: Or it'll be a War of the Roses moment where we'll kill each other in the last scene.
Flag
Yes, Shahi is very attractive. That was my point, that whatever anyone's opinions are about this or that feature is "irrelevant" (pun intended) given that she has numerous things on her resume that very, very few can claim, and that directly relate (at least in large part) to her appearance being considered attractive,

Flag
http://static.cinemagia.ro/img/db/actor/03/94/80/sarah-shahi-389861l.jpg
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The fists bump between Carter and Reese was nice, it gave them a good moment together. One that I couldn’t wait to see after the previews for this episode. I like them working together, she got a lot tougher after Beechers dead. Also Carter and Fusco quarreling over the fake blood spray was fantastic.

I don’t really like Root that much, her ‘The machine is my God’ thing is getting irritating but when she isn’t preaching about it I don’t mind her storylines.

Also I’m a bit sad that they killed Laskey before he could meet the whole team, I would have loved to see him working together with Shaw. Also is Carter going to get another corrupt rookie now, that she’ll have working for her in no time?

Who else knew that the girlfriend (Natalie) wasn’t to be trusted from the moment she sat on his lap and he started talking about leaving. But I’ll admit I thought she was a plant from HR or some other organization and not another con artist.
Flag
Root says: "The future is comin'g". Somehow it gives me a "Winter is coming" feeling, so I'm not sure I'm looking forward to it.
Flag
case of the week was so so to me, but I really loved all the development with Carter and HR story line. And Root talking about Deus Ex-Machine, mh, that is awesome and am so so so looking forward to see where it takes us
Flag
I thought it was a very good episode with enough pace on the different subjects to keep it very entertaining. Biggest reveal is the head of HR, that story must really take of now.

I'm happy they're giving Bear at least a small role in every episode now. What a great actor.
Flag
I especially liked his "reaction" when he heard Finch talking about the fake childhood dog he made up for his hypnosessions.
Flag
Yes, the two looks, first after the 'confession'

and then the real confession

Flag
I was so unexpectedly upset when Laskey died, I sense he was about to be introduced to more aspects of the team than just briefly seeing John or Shaw.

Is it weird I am finding the HR storyline a hell of a lot more exciting than the Machine and Root stuff so far this season? And are you totally intrigued by the fact that I think...Carter still hasn't told Reese or Finch about Elias. I suppose it is because that is actually a more concrete story and honestly, I am not sure if Finch or Root are correct.

Based on the previews, I think we can all agree it is probably Fusco who dies, but, also, I sense even though he has just popped up most of the season to actually save the day a few times, we likely should all have tissues out through the whole three episodes.
Flag
Promos are often distracters. Hoping so, cuz I like The Fusco.

The Carter/HR plotline has been the most like seasons 1 and 2. Even with a very unsympathetic "number", at least it wasn't a complete "Shaw-shank" episode. A bit of balance is appreciated.

They'll need to do something about Root/Finch and TM pretty soon. The little bits are good (loved Harold's reference to Mr. Reese being upstairs with way too many guns), but they need to BUILD to something, as the Carter/HR plotline is.

We only get 22 episodes a year (fingers crossed that holds true this season), and it's looking like a long break, or a whole bunch of little ones, must be in the pipeline. But if they're running long streaks of episodes, we need to see a tapestry developing. The "vigilance" group is one, and POI will make us wait for answers (17 episodes in season 1), but they need to give us something (beyond Ms. Shaw) to build with/on.

Fingers crossed. End of season 2 they had 15 million viewers. Now 11.9. CBS could say bye-bye in May, even with a syndication arrangement in place. They're starting to send out press releases touting the week's viewers. Maybe they've started counting? Is Thursday at 9 p.m. still available?
More +
Flag
I miss it on Thursday too and I thought it was nicely matched with Elementary as the are both non traditional CBS shows.
Flag
I don't think anyone is going to die really. It seems like a classic "use a promo to make it appear someone is going to die" type thing. Though I wouldn't really mind it. As much as I love Fusco, he's kinda useless now.
Flag
I thought I heard someone was going to die at Comic Con.
Flag
Reese told Carter very recently that he and Finch were well aware of her side project, which obviously is taken to mean bringing down HR, but which I also took to include Elias (as they haven't spent a single moment looking for him or asking about him since he disappeared from Rikers--granted, they've been busy, but he was Harold's regular chess partner after all).
Flag
I thought it was just her investigation of HR that he was aware of and I am not sure HR actually let the news that Elias is free get out, it probably was necessary for HR and their relationship with the Russians that the execution happened without an issue. So, maybe Carter and HR's head (and Elias' lackey) the only ones who definetely know.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think the team dynamics were perfect!

I sometimes feel Reese & Show are more dog like than Bear!

Just when I was starting to like the damn rookie he gets squashed LOL

Some great lines for Root again and Acker's delivery is pitch perfect!

Also: never seen a laptop short circuit so effectively with wine... maybe coz only cokes & all sorts of flavoured teas have spilled on mine?
Flag
I believe it to be whiskey, look at the glass he is pouring it in before he (regrettably) uses the rest as filler for the laptop.
Flag
If that is the case, what is the brand of such excellent single malt? LOL
Flag
I watched it again but he kept his hand in front of the brand name all the time. Obviously the label didn't want any product placement for ability to quickly destroy laptops.
Flag
For me, excluding the ending, the best part of the episode was the byplay between Finch and Root. The look on Finch's face when Root told him that he was wasn't Mommy's favourite anymore was priceless. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but did Root imply that Finch has opened Pandora's Box and he doesn't have the cajones to deal with it. But don't worry, that's why you have me. This dynamic is the most intriguing one to me.

I also agree it was nice to see Shaw in a more nuanced role
Flag
I don't think she said he didn't have the cajones. She just said she would be finishing what Finch started, thus giving Fimnch the impression he wasn't needed anymore. That was painful for him.
Flag
Do you get the impression that Finch is holding something back?
Flag
No, I really think he is clueless at this point and is trying to figure out what happened and should happen. He designed the machine, but what is happening with Root wasn't part of his design. So now on one side he's trying to figure out what made the machine grow in the way it did and on the other side what is best for the machine in the future. Root told him that she would be shaping that future and not him. That's the pain; on the one hand he doesn't understand why the Machine would want to evolve without him and on the other hand he will not be part of the action to get to that future. It's a bit like seeing your kid/son grow into adulthood and finding a new girlfriend. He will still do some old things with you buut they'll become less and he will build his new future with his girlfriend (this is exactly what is happening with my son now, so I can completely relate to that although I didn't put his grislfriend under lock and key).
Flag
The interesting thing/question is why the Machine chose this specific woman, Root, to be part of that future.

Being Dutch I didn't know which show you meant at first, but after looking it up I will make sure I will never lock up more than one girl :-)
Flag
Thanks for your reply. I too feel that Finch has lost control of the situation. On one hand i am hoping that the future Root is prophesying is a better one. However, her zealousness leads me to believe that that is not the case. Either way it will make for great viewing.

I am also glad to hear that you will not be doing a guest shot in another CBS show that airs Wednesdays at 9:00. Good luck with your son.
Flag
Loved the look on Bear's face when Finch said he didn't even have a dog as a kid. Great episode.
Flag
That was after Finch first had said he told the therapist the name of his favoorite childhood pet was Scout. Bear looked up at that first answer.
Flag
I liked it. Maybe it wasn't as good as the last two but still it was a solid episode.
Flag
By the way Fusco stole the episode for me, all his lines were hilarious.
Flag
Hey, dragon tattoo.
Flag
Well, Laskey reached his forgone conclusion, but he was put to a lot better use than we all expected, knew he was doomed when he got the photo of HR though, redemption=death after all,

So glad that Carter is so smart! I hate TV shows that make supposedly smart characters into idiots in order to drive the tension in the plot, every time we think someone has it over on her this season, she knew it before we did.

Uh oh, maybe Carter will be the one to die this season, she has been getting so much screen time, and great stories, redemption=death after all...
Flag
Excellent episode I like how they reveal the H.R. plot about the laundry. Ok, this episode is less intense that the previous ones, but the final scene was really great and now we're ready for the 3 episode events.

This episode is full of great moments, between Reese and Carter, Reese and Fusco, Finch and Root, Carter and Shaw, so far this season work the dynamic in group perfectly.

Now Carter knows the head of H.R. and I think she is more danger now and I will miss the relationship between her and Laskey (R.I.P. rookie).

Finally Fusco have some moments.

Another great thing is the dialogue between Finch and Root talking about the "machine" future. Harold is strong, but inside is was really scary of his own creation.

Another great thing, the action packed and humor was amazing, the case of week was predictable, but clever at the end.

Can't wait to read your review Tim, because three episode in a row and POI is now more than in fire, soon the show will explode heads.
Flag
Why did the Rookie have to die? I would've liked to have seen more of him, his story was just getting interesting...Boohoo :(
Flag
I think my neighbours might think I'm ready for the loony bin. I yelled so loud when Laskey died, I scared myself.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members