They blew the lid off the tin in Person of Interest, "The Devil's Share" – one of the best all-American comic book vernissages in recent history. The episode intro was the sort of clip where even non-viewers of the series wouldn’t have to know what the hell was going on in order to recognize its artistic merit. And maybe that was just the point.

So far, the series has been interesting, more than good – the kind of interesting that’s potent enough to make you forget how plastic the characters really are. The problem that this series has isn’t so much that it’s failing to appease its core audience, it’s that it's sandwiched between genres; and while the producers can dig it, and a devoted audience can dig it, what it tends to do is confuse everyone else. Viewers start to feel close to the characters because it’s a story well told, but one can’t ever dismiss the lingering sentiment that it’s action figures trying to play Dostoevsky, and at some point, they manage to produce a bizarre blend of Serpico, the Avengers, the Dark Knight and Oldboy. And while this masala tweaks the sensitive spot in my cortex for each of those genres, it’s the sort of blend that is going to turn more reality show/celebrity chef/Big Bang Theory viewers off than it’s going to turn Arrow/Walking Dead/Homeland viewers on. However, now it’s solidly back into Whedon Firefly territory, which is reason to be ecstatic with a dose of despair – perhaps this time the audience will love it before it gets cancelled.

Punching into a season-ending episode with a four-minute rock video montage, lacquered with one of the sweetest songs of a generation, is a classy move to face-smack all those viewers who ‘gave it an episode’ but didn’t bite. It’s the kind of cocky confidence that emblazons the hood ornament of this Chevy El Camino “Ultimus” of a series into your brain and kicks it into another season on strong footing, where the story can develop into its potential.

But where can it develop? They’ve just kissed goodbye to one of the classiest actresses of the series (the Reese-Joss relationship was never really taken seriously by anybody), taken down the King Pin nemesis, and redeemed their status in the city as civil-minded vigilantes - it’s hard to imagine where the story has left to go. On the other hand, Root’s new relationship with the computer has made her a proper superhero hand-of-god; Reese's old CIA partner is back from the dead and bent on revenge (but really, for what?); then there’s Finch, the limping, voyeuristic not-dead husband that two super-spies can't seem to tail; a villain who started off too likably but is beginning to show indications of proper evil; and a computer that is now a living intelligence watching over a metropolis (why is the computer morally conscious in it’s omniscience?) - there’s still a few reasons to go on.

The scriptwriters seemed to have changed gears somewhere after the first few episodes of the third season and are winding up towards something with a bigger brain for season four. The sum of the ratings of the very uneven episodes in this series thus far seems to have balanced at zero – but, with a [re]starting place of some solid backstory and a cult following, that doesn’t seem like such a bad thing.

The writers and producers have just doubled down on this series with a teaser that hints at greatness - a heavy burden for the writers to bear, as the team is stacked with lots of goodies, but not a lot of inspired baddies (a similar episode to this one for the baddies would be a good start). I think they might just have the panache to pull it off; and if they do, it will be one hell of a season 4. If they don’t, the show will quickly become irrelevant.

But please – no more fake beards on horse-drawn buggies and, for the love of god, do something about Finch’s hair.
36 Comments
Comments (36)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Obviously this guy is writing this editorial from reading the "book jacket", sort of speak.

If you have to ask questions like:

why is the computer morally conscious in it’s omniscience?

You truly haven't even watched the show or paid attention past the opening credits.

Where is the research done to write this article. Rebooting? Getting Cancelled? Check the #'s, this CBS's golden egg. Give me the winning lottery #'s, so i know which ones NOT to play.
Flag
I'm not even sure why balticzephyr was allowed to post this article - It's nothing but a slam piece: It slams the cast and crew of the show, It slams the show's network, but worst of all, it slams the show's audience.

This is the kind of writing that made Hitler Chancellor of the Third Reich and leader of Germany, in it's worst period in history.

It's brainless, thoughtless propaganda, and it has no place in this world, be it online or in books.

I have flagged this article for it's offensive nature, and hope and pray I never see another article by this individual again, on TV.com
Flag
I find it interesting that supposedly "no one" took the Carter/Reese pairing seriously. Actually there were quite a few fans that took it seriously. The best relationships are deeply rooted in friendship; now it doesn't always have to end up that way, but I could totally see those two at some point, perhaps treading a little bit of water in that ocean...not that it needed to completely play out, but it would certainly have made it interesting. I just wonder why "no one" took it seriously....hmmmmm
Flag
Never saw Carter's death coming, I thought we were going to lose Fusco, I was shocked but it was a really good episode. I thought the scene in Devil's Share with Johnny Cash 'Hurt' playing in the background was brilliant. This season has been really good, most improved show of the year.

Flag
Marathon watching = up to ep3 season 2. I am totally hooked. I just love the show, Michael Emerson was always Ben Linus, but he is really refeining himself for me. And they have Jesus going whoop ass on people (Caviezel - HA!) so how can you not love it? But you know what has put it over the edge to my top 5 favorites. One word. Or name.

BEAR.

I <3 <3 <3 that DOG!!
Flag
Season 3 isn't over. It's just taking a break over Christmas.
There's another 10-12 episodes coming after New Year.
20-24 episodes per season.
Flag
"Reese's old CIA partner is back from the dead and bent on revenge"
Wow! I'd like nothing better! Is this a spoiler, since Stanton was car bombed last season?

As for a re-boot, not sure why that's considered necessary. One of the 4 main characters was killed off, but that seems to be "the thing" writers do these days! ie, NCIS killed off a beloved character, and Walking Dead kills them in large swaths; then there's Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Revenge, Grey's, Dexter, True Blood, Downton Abbey. Family Guy. All had shocking deaths.

I agree that sometimes a character death may require a show's overhaul. Like is being done with The Mentalist, but that series didn't really have a role for it's main protagonist without Red John.

Yes, those fans that watched the series only for the actress playing Carter will likely leave to follow Taraji Henson to her next project. But I think POI has enough depth to survive the death of any character (other than Finch perhaps) without completely retooling.

The evolution of the Machine has been around since the start, and there are plenty of other threads still to develop: like Wesley, and Will, and Grace, and Decima, and Vigilance, and Elias, and Madam, etc.
IMHO, of course.
More+
Flag
"Reese's old CIA partner is back from the dead and bent on revenge"

She is? I thought she was back from the dead last season and bent on revenge, and they killed her pretty much for good. Was there a hint this season so far that she survived the bomb?
Flag
Very surprising to me that somebody actually dares to talk of the characters as "plastic". They are! I didn't mind it, really. The premise has always been very comic-like, some kind of batman situation. But I was having fun with it. Unfortunately, as a female, and as a firefly-type fan, I was happy with Carter as a hero. At this point, the show is suggesting I have to like Shaw instead. And that doesn't fit the reasons for me watching this show in the first place. I am not ok with this. Nobody took the relationship with Reese seriously, as you said, but Carter was about more than just that. The show will continue to be fun for everybody else, I am sure. But I think I am out. I don't want to be sold out for better legs. I wanted the show to be for me too. Well, I'll take the hiatus break to consider, but some sort of strange principled spirit has taken over me and I think I prefer to explore other shows that I haven't had time for so far and let this one go to the people that they want to show it to.
Flag
There are several threads that can be picked up and developed further. I would hardly call it a 'reboot'. HR is dead. Carrying that storyline through seven seasons would have been too much.

Finch, Reese, Fusco, Shaw, and even Root were brought together by the Machine for a reason. Possibly many reasons. And we are going to (hopefully) find out why.
Flag
There are multiple paths and POI needs to be cautious to choose wisely. I wouldn't just start the sci-fi subplot, keep it simple for next few episodes while slowly building it and then establish it for the next season.

Some of the Antagonist arcs on POI:

1. Northern Lights - we are left hanging since season 2 finale with only minor appearance by Hersh. They want to find the Machine and with Machine under threat I won't be surprised if they joined hands with Finch to help save the machine. I really hope they hire some classy actress for Miss. Penn, any suggestions?

2. Vigilance - We have already got 2 appearance by them, right now I wouldn't want to see lot of them but they are one of the biggest threat to Machine.

3. Decima - They can still try to attack the machine.

4. Elias - With both Russians and HR out, Elias is free to rule, I won't be surprised if some events intertwine between our POI group and HR.

5. Alistair Wesley - Ex- MI6 mercenary who had a past with Reese, there are multiple direction they can go with him and in all fairness its about time they give a worthy adversary to Reese.

Some of the Protagonist arcs on POI:

1. Reese - We already know a lot about Reese's past, I think the writers have to work hard to make him interesting and give us more about his past, judging from the set pics there are lot of Reese flashbacks to come.

2. Finch - Second half of season is more Machine centered so I think Finch will be on the forefront, his dynamic with Root is chilling. Finch is still lot mysterious than Reese and we still have lot more to learn about him.

3. Shaw - Two of her flashbacks have been pretty good, hoping for some more. Her chemistry with Root is orgasmic and the biggest question is why does she love Bear so much? :P

4. Root - Multiple directions to head with her, how will Reese respond to her being part of the team? her chemistry with Finch and Shaw. The reason most people hate her is because she is so sinister and I would give props to her acting, really well done.

5. Fusco - I think he will take a backseat and only be helping on case of the week scenarios, Shaw and Fusco are hit and I am really loving the comic relief they both provide.

More+
Flag
Some character driven bits I hope to see?
1. Shaw- shes a sociopath but she's had moments where her "binary moral compass" has waned. Maybe that's where Fusco and bear can play a bigger part
2. Fusco- since he has redeemed himself from his HR past, I would like to see him mentor a younger detective or someone who seems to be in the crossroads of doing wrong with the right intentions like he was at.
3. Reese- When he lost Jessica he was a wreck because he lost a romantic love. With the loss of Joss, he lost a friendship love that has to affect him in greater ways than we saw in devil's share. That struggle to continue to do good? I mean that little vigilance nerd has it coming but is Reese going to restrain himself?
4. Finch- I think he struggles to see himself as the dad to the machine, its still numbers and code to him, but there may be jealous pangs that the machine communicates to root the way it does. And i think the little tidbit of "how many did you go through before you met John?" yeah... maybe an ex-hired gun might want to kill him? (i like the hair. it's very finch) Also... we still don't know that much about him... will we see grace again?
5. Root... sigh... shes a bag full of crazy. I like amy acker as an actress but ahhh something about her still bugs me. Maybe it's the very hackery name she chose.
6. Bear- more bear is better. :)

Plot points-
What will elias do now?
Does anyone rememebr the episode with Julian sands? he was a baddie that was introduced and then we never heard from again....
What about that group that hired kara stanton... are they done?
Will the mexican prison ever make a comeback as POI's version of Arkham?
The machine... its got an endgame... what is it?
will reese visit taylor carter?

As you can see... i love this show but Im on the fence with the death of Carter. They wrapped up the arc brilliantly, and set up a new dynamic but for what ends? hmmmm we'll see 12/17
More+
Flag
I would like to learn more about the people that Reese replaced as well.
Flag
I also think you mean "bear," not "bare." (Which reminds me of Bear! Ha!)
Flag
Nothing better than open-source editing :-) Thx
Flag
I think POI is a superior show. It is not so cerebral that no one can understand it and not dumbed down to appeal to idiots. I don't find the characters to be plastic. Shaw was a bit robotic but her character is finally showing some growth and humanity. None of our heroes Reese, Finch, Fusco, Shaw, or Carter were superhuman or super silly. They had skills but their skills were certainly not superhuman. No character was perfect and unlike the machine, once in a while a character would go off script. Root certainly made an unexpected move by returning after she had been set free. If there is anything surreal in the whole premise of the show is the computer itself. It reminds me a bit of HAL in 2001, Colossus, Questor, and "Joshua" of War Games. Those computers evolved from the black and white thinking of a child, to growing beyond their programming observing and learning about human behavior and developing a moral directive to determine how to guide and control men.
Flag
I like finch's hair. Suits him
Flag
I think you mean Reese, not Carter. Carter IS Joss
Flag
Yes, indeed. Thank you.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members