In the original version, Finch and especially Reese have voices that seem to match their character. Reese has a smooth, baritone voice that is very, very cool. It makes him attractive to other people (especially women) and it feels dangerous and confident to the people we like him to take out.

Most of the countries around the world that broadcast Person Of Interest and where English is not a native language, use subtitles. The reason may be because of costs or to keep it as original as possible. Then there are countries like Germany and France that believe that their culture is best preserved by dubbing all tv-series and films into their own language. They are big enough to be able to afford it. This means that the voices of Finch and Reese (and of course all the other actors) are different.

I assume most of you haven’t heard the voices of the other Reeses and Finches. To fill that gap, listen to the two clips below.

In German:

In French:

What do you think? Do they support the characters as well as in the original American version or are they even better?

Comments (14)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
377221 said exactly what I was thinking. ". . . I'd prefer the worst subtitles ever to the best dubbing ever . . ."
Flag
Well I prefer the original voices in most of the shows. I'm from Mexico and most of cable channels use the original voices, but national channels dub most of the series. And for example the voices they used for dubbing Bones, are so out of character that I really can't stand watching the show.
Flag
I've watched some X-Files dubbed in other languages (which I don't speak) just for the hell of it and I found the German dubbing was by far the best, especially the guy who dubbed Mulder. Having said that, I'd prefer the worst subtitles ever to the best dubbing ever when it comes to foreign films/shows.
Flag
I couldn't have said it better. Dubbing can ruin a show.
Flag
I have been watching shows in VO for a long, long time. Spain has some of the best dubbing actors, and the voices are not disembodied or unsyncronized, and in some cases they are very close to the original. However, they are not the real voices, and since I believe part of the performance is in the voice, every time I'm back home and watch a show (POI or any other) I grab the remote and switch languages, much to my family's annoyance.
Flag
I also looked for a Spanish dubbed version as I know that not only Germany (together with Switserland an Austria) and France dub, but also Spain, Italy, Czechoslovakia and Hungry do. But I only found a subbed version on Youtube.

In Argentinia in July of this year, the president, in a 'democratic' way and using a law of 1988 dedicated to preserving Argentinian culture and national identity that had never been used before, by decree decided that every series, film and even ads had to be dubbed. And dubbed by actors that spoke Spanish in an Argentionian way.

It's great you can switch to another language on your tv, it must add to enjoying te programs although I understand your family if their comprehension of English is less then yours (or they enjoy Spanish more). For me it's almost the other way around. My son does't won't any English subtitles and I sometimes want them to support my understanding (being Dutch).
Flag
I just cannot fathom how anyone could prefer disembodied unsynchronized voices to the original language. With subtitles you enjoy the show more because the emotion is conveyed more believably, and concurrently you might learn some English.

Thank god we subtitle here in The Netherlands.
Flag
Totally agree. And in some shows, especially comedies, the voices are sometimes central to the story. Dubbing them therefore takes away a part of the plot. For example in The Nanny, Fran Drescher's nasal voice was many times used as part of the plot. The way she spoke was often the punchline in jokes. And once I saw an episode dubbed in German, and her voice was nothing like in the original. I immediately thought that some of the jokes must be completely lost on the Germans, because her real voice was missing.
Flag
Or in English: I totally agree with you.
Flag
Je hebt helemaal gelijk!
Flag
I think the French is closer to the character voice's we all know (the German, there just wasn't as much distinction between Finch and Reese). And now I've wasted enough time today.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm